Sunday, September 27, 2026

Shaders of gray? / SUN 9-27-26 / Sonic euphoria, colloquially / Disk-flipping strategy game / Greek PPP / Turned into an internet gag / German brewery since 1873 / Redheaded "Queen of Country" / DeVore who co-founded one of the first U.S. agencies for nonwhite models in 1946 / Portmanteau sandwich cookie with a layer of marshmallow / Cultural group of SW Britain / Buck enshrined in Cooperstown / Far from the target, in a guessing game

Constructor: Adam Wagner

Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium

THEME: "The Full 12 Rounds" — twelve-letter answers that go 'round (or LOOP BACK) (85A: Return to an earlier topic of conversation ... or what six answers in this puzzle literally do), thus mimicking the CORIOLIS Effect (49A: Kind of effect that deflects motion in one direction in the Northern Hemisphere and the opposite in the Southern Hemisphere [with a hint to this puzzle's shaded squares]) (i.e. the answers go clockwise in the northern hemisphere, counterclockwise in the south) 

Theme answers:
  • TRADE DISPUTE (19A: ... in global commerce)(Conflict ...)
  • PORT-A-POTTIES (28A: ... outdoor festivals)(Bathrooms at ...)
  • PERSONAL LIMO (66A: ... transport)(Bigwig's ...)
  • ONE-CAR GARAGE (73A: ... park an auto)(Narrow space in which to ...)
  • INTERPRETIVE (112A: ... clarify or explain)(Seeking to ...)
  • IN RETROSPECT (124A: ... of hindsight)(With the benefit ...)
Word of the Day: OPHELIA DeVore (21A: DeVore who co-founded one of the first U.S. agencies for nonwhite models in 1946) —

Ophelia DeVore (August 12, 1921 – February 28, 2014) was an American businesswoman, publisher, and model. She was the first model of African-American descent in the United States. In 1946, she helped establish the Grace Del Marco Agency, one of the first modeling agencies in America. [...] Ophelia DeVore began modeling at the age of 16. As a fair-skinned person of African-American descent, DeVore could "pass" for Norwegian and gain contracts throughout Europe. In 1946, determined to create a new market for non-White women in the U.S., DeVore established The Grace Del Marco Agency. // In the agency's early days, it was a stepping stone for countless household names; Diahann Carroll, Helen Williams, Richard Roundtree, Cicely Tyson and others. Racism was rampant in New York's fashion business and the Grace Del Marco Agency was one of the few places non-White models could gain work. (Wikipedia)
• • •


There are two things I like about this theme. First, the cluing conceit is clever—looping the clues like that, very nice. Second, I like the first revealer, CORIOLIS. Would've been better if the whole phrase, CORIOLIS EFFECT, were in there, but this is still good, and the fact that the themers loop in different directions depending on what "hemisphere" of the puzzle they're in gives the puzzle a much-needed purpose. Simply "looping" isn't much of an idea, which is one of the reasons I don't think much of the second revealer: LOOP BACK—the other reason is that it's entirely unnecessary. We can see that the theme answers LOOP BACK. The arrows around those answers give that away. Thus LOOP BACK "reveals" nothing. It just takes up space. Whereas CORIOLIS points out a feature I would not have noticed otherwise (i.e. it reveals something). Anyway, two nice features. 


Beyond that, though, I didn't enjoy much about this puzzle. It's yet another puzzle where the theme is almost entirely architectural. Answers go round, answers go round, answers go round. What those answers are, who cares? Irrelevant. It's only the going round that matters. There's no great aha with any of them. All six themers are pretty pedestrian. I guess we're supposed to be impressed that the Across segments of theme answers that aren't parts of longer answers are themselves viable answers—TRADE DISPUTE, for instance, gives us TETRAD (a real word) over UPSIDE (a real word). I suppose this adds a level of difficulty to the construction, but it doesn't add anything to the solving pleasure. Am I really supposed to delight in stuff like E-SPORT and MOPERS and RAGE ON (whatever that is) and SORTER (?!). Mainly I found the themers a joyless chore; you hack through them with a lot of short crosses and there's your answer, ta da. Not that interesting. 


And speaking of filling in short answers, wow did I have to do that a lot. A Lot. It's an astonishingly choppy grid, with nothing over eight letters outside the theme, and only two of those (SPLENDID, "ARE YOU IN?"). You've got banks of 7s in the NE and SW, but otherwise it's a sea of 3-4-5s. It got dreary after a while. And once again the fill was poor enough early on that I took a snapshot to document the moment it became alarming:


Few things are more crosswordesey than BRAES. And that came on top of MAHER (ugh), ORE CAR, THE WEB, TEPEE, ADE. I like MAD DASH and love Pam GRIER, but most of the short stuff ran from merely tolerable to regrettable. I'm probably never going be an enjoyer of purely architectural themes. The fill just ends up seeming like an afterthought, as opposed to the primary part of the solving experience.


Bullets:
  • 116A: Disk-flipping strategy game (REVERSI) — I know this only from crosswords. And I don't know it perfectly—the first thing I wrote in was REVERSO. Othello is the modern variation of this game.
  • 123A: Many a John Williams composition (THEME) — nearly counted this as a Star Wars reference, since the most famous of said THEMEs is most certainly the Star Wars theme, but Williams has written many, many movie themes, so ... judges say ... not a Star Wars reference!
  • 3D: Unhelpful way to respond to "Hello?" ("IT'S ME") — Weird. "IT'S ME" might be very helpful, if the person you're responding to knows your voice very well. I can absolutely imagine saying it if my wife was not expecting me home and said "Hello?" from, like, the kitchen or upstairs. 
  • 31D: Clothing brand named for perceived generational differences in the '60s (GAP)  — I had no idea. I did know that (The) GAP was founded in 1969, because ... so was I.
  • 50D: Greek PPP (RHOS) — yesterday we got [H H H] as a clue for ETAS. That one always confuses a few people. Today, with "Greek" in the clue, the fact that we're dealing with Greek letters is much clearer.
  • 52D: Chef Nosrat who wrote the best seller "Salt Fat Acid Heat" (SAMIN) — I know her book, and the show based on the book, and I've seen her on TV in many different contexts, and I still forgot her dang name. Really happy I knew that final "S" in CORIOLIS ...
  • 74D: Portmanteau sandwich cookie with a layer of marshmallow (S'MOREO) — oh come on. What the hell is this? It sounds hellish. Or at the very least, unnecessary. Just eat a s'more or an Oreo, for god's sake. Speaking of hellish: "Banana Pudding" Oreos. Oreo is currently testing three potential new flavors, and while "Deep Fried" and "Chicken & Waffles" were good and weird-but-acceptable, respectively, "Banana Pudding" needs to be sent back to the pit of hell whence it came. Toxic levels of artificial banana flavor. I thought maybe it was just me, but then Penelope took all three of the test flavors into her grad students, and they were unanimous in their dead-last ranking of "Banana Pudding."
[1. Deep Fried; 2. Chicken & Waffles; 3. (disqualified on account of disgustingness) Banana Pudding]
  • 86D: Fish hawk (OSPREY) — they're migratory. I just learned this. "American and Canadian breeders winter in South America" (wikipedia). For two weeks in late August / early September, there was one that hung out on a tree high above the Chenango River, and I'd see it nearly every day on my walk. I even saw it hunt a couple times (water go smash! so cool). Then it wasn't there any more. Then I learned they're migratory, so I probably won't see little fish-hunting buddy again. It was fun while it lasted.
  • 97D: Astronomically demoted, as per a 2006 Word of the Year (PLUTOED) — I think it just means "demoted" now. Yes: pluto (v.) "to demote or devalue something." I mean, how often are things "astronomically" demoted. You can't use your Word of the Year very much if you just limit it to astronomy.
  • 92D: Shaders of gray? (AGEISTS) — woof, this clue. "Shaders"??? As in "those who throw shade"??? Describing ageism as mere shade (i.e. disparagement) ... pretty flippant way of describing systemic discrimination. Also, the pun here Tortured.
That's all for today. See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

P.S. Happy anniversary, honey ❤️❤️❤️ What're we drinking? What goes with "23"?

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

104 comments:


  1. On the Easy side of Easy-Medium. Impressive construction feat, possibly AI-assisted?
    * * * _ _

    Overwrites:
    My 2D conical accommodation was a TEepE before it was a TEEPE.
    EARworM before -GASM for the sonic euphoria at 56D.
    Misremembered the name of the 116A game as REVERSo instead of REVERSI.
    Vhs as the DVD forerunner before VCR (118D).

    WOEs:
    Modeling agency head OPHELIA DeVore (21A).
    I was only vaguely aware of actress SADIE Sink at 37A and needed most of the crosses.
    Didn't remember artist Ai WEI WEI (24D), which led to misspelling CORIOLIS (49A), which prevented the initial happy music.
    Chef SAMIN Nosrat at 53D.
    Not familiar with the cookie portmanteau S'MOREO at 74D.
    MERCS as clued at 108D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:27 AM

    Though I heartily agree with most of Rex's comments, I was awestruck by the construction necessary for this theme. Matching the rotational orientation of the answers with the the north-south location while also embedding them in actual words was, despite the choppy and pedestrian crosses, worthy of praise..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:33 AM

      If you liked this, check out Jan 17th 2016

      Delete
  3. Anonymous6:42 AM

    I was really thrown off by the (technically) correct but awkward GET/TAN — surely the more common phrasing would be GET A TAN?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twenty years in and still getting to the heart of the matter - the big guy nails it - a puzzle built for the builder. The chops are clearly evident - but the solver gets six random independent theme strings in a Sunday sized grid - a slog to work through and a hearty “who cares” by the end of it.

    MOSH PIT

    Some decent fill here and there - MAD DASH, CORNISH, the great Twyla THARP. The theme restrictions cause a load of shorts and oddball gluey stuff - it doesn’t help the solve.

    Scruffy the Cat

    Good on the constructor for having the skills to craft this one but in the end - much like this brutal weather a dreary Sunday morning solve.

    OPHELIA

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.L. Ato7:07 AM

    IDEAL (102A) Another word that has lost its meaning through rampant misuse and abuse. The word IDEAL expresses the perfect and unattainable. "Best-Case" the is the closest one can get to the IDEAL without quite attaining it. The impossible vs the possible.

    Now that we're told everything is possible, it seems this critical distinction has been relegated to the ash heap of the past and no longer pertains, to our great and delusional misfortune.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:11 AM

    Just don’t enjoy tricky, gimmicky puzzles :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:05 AM

      I’m beginning to feel the same way. No 🎈for me.

      Delete
    2. Too many GIMMICKY puzzles!
      Hated this one!

      Delete
    3. Anonymous1:24 PM

      This gave me a headache.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous7:13 AM

    Not worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nearly a DNF in the SE today. MERCS was the main villain, but also SORTER, JEDDA before JEttA, unsure on ONEaL or ONEIL, and I never figured out the theme properly. I got that words swirl around one way or the other, but did not have the patience to figure out which way or if there was a consistent starting point. It turns out that five of the six themers have a consistent starting point, at least within their hemispshere, but then INTERPRETIVE goes off script.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the print version at least, there's a dark vertical line indicating the starting point.And there are little arrows indicating direction.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:17 AM

      'twould have been interesting if the circling answers had simply been "grayed" and not had TWO additional crutches, i.e. the starting point and the arrows. Sussing the "theme" would have been "so sick"!!!

      Delete
    3. That certainly would have helped! Online had shaded boxes but nothing else.

      Delete
    4. The NYT Games app on my iPad had the dark line.

      Delete
  9. Hey All !
    An interesting "twist" (har!) on a Theme. Did like that the parts of the Themers that weren't parts of the longer answer were actual things, not just non-words, like KEDRYO or somesuch. It's too bad they couldn't relate directly to the full looped answer, but that would've probably been impossible. I'm sure this Theme set was tough enough to find and fill with actual words.

    Again, good fill, seeing as how Adam had to navigate around 12(!) looped Themers, with two Revealers thrown in for good measure. Not easy to fill with anything remotely resembling words. Bravo.

    Liked the concept, execution was good, overall SPLENDID

    Hope y'all have a great Sunday!

    No F's - Continuing my RAGE ON excluding F's. And in a 21x21!!
    RooMonster
    DarrinV

    ReplyDelete
  10. Easy-medium. Largely agree with Rex. Lots of PPP (RHO RHO RHO!). Interestingly, of the themed answers, only some 6-letter rows are words (as pointed out: TETRAD, UPSIDE, ESPORT, etc.) but not all (ITTOPA? ILLANO? ITERPR?...), so this must've been an unintended effect.

    I've never heard of SAL soda. I looked this up, and it still rings no bells.

    Happy Anniversary to Rex and Mrs. Rex!
    Here's an option for you: The 23 Skidoo Cocktail (https://www.cocktailbuilder.com/recipe/23-skiddoo)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see the distinction at first, that some of the 6-letter rows are stand-alone words, and some are not because they are part of longer phrases. I wasn't sure at first that VEINTE (one of the stand-alones) was a real word, but then I thought, "Aha! Spanish for twenty," and it all made sense.

      Delete
  11. Glen Laker7:44 AM

    Perhaps the most unpleasant solve ever. The wrap-around answers are awkward to fill in, and the shaded squares are difficult to see. Hated, hated, hated it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:05 AM

    Actually, SORTER was clued: “Certain factory machine.” Reasonably stimulating puzzle. No complaints.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andy Freude8:17 AM

    Architectural achievement, magnificent. Solving experience, meh.

    But OSPREYs are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 'God, this looks awful.
    As I've mentioned before, I come here first on Sundays (large grid) to see what I'm in for.
    I was looking forward to an enjoyable puzzle being in the midst of a NorEaster in NYC. This doesn't look like it :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, c’mon, you gotta love PLUTOED! Well, OK, you don’t, but I did. Otherwise a great feat of construction but seemed overloaded with the trivia, starting with the cross of THARP and OPHELIA. I have to get out more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous8:29 AM

    This theme was previously done in better fashion on Jan 17 2016, one of my personal favorites. Surprised it didn't get mentioned, but hoping some see this and play it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. No natick complaint at the intersection of CORIOLIS and SAMIN? Otherwise constructively interesting but definitely very sloggy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe not obscure enough to be a Natick but close. We need a word for “close to a Natick but not quite.” Dedham, maybe?

      Delete
    2. Anonymous12:20 PM

      You don’t think it’s obscure enough? I definitely do

      Delete
    3. @Christopher
      We do. It's a Framingham (I believe that's the close town yo Natick?), it just hasn't been used for a while.

      Roo

      Delete
  18. Too choppy for me. I get that it was necessary to accommodate the gimmick but then it was all about the gimmick. Salt in the wound was ESA in the very end. I liked OPHELIA and learned something today - always appreciate that. And now my pet peeve apologies to those who feel otherwise - to each their own. There is one and only one OREO. Every other ersatz version with different flavors, colors etc a Nabisco bad idea gone worse. The oreo imo is the most perfect packaged cookie ever bar none. Not judging anyone who enjoys the other versions - they just shouldn’t be called fill in the blanks oreos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Naticked twice on one word, which was unfortunately the revealer: CORIOLIS
    IT-could be A or O.
    S-AMIN is to me a first-letter-fill-in-the-blanks-foreign-name with lots of possibilities (Like RP, knowing about the book and seeing an episode didn't help with the name...)
    I think it's kind of fun to rotate the word in your head, and the rest was a quick race to the finish, so enjoyed it more than most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:48 AM

      100% on this. Kept rotating through the O/A and the first letter in _AMIN. Frustrating.

      Delete
  20. DNF thanks to Natickesque CORIOLIS/SAMIN, both of which/whom I was unfamiliar with. Any cookbook clue which doesn’t include Julia Child leaves me at a loss.

    ReplyDelete
  21. PaBear9:13 AM

    BRAVO!!! You win! I quit early.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous9:19 AM

    The directional arrows are essentially invisible in dark mode and thus are no help in making sense of this tedious solve..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous 9:19 AM
      the puzzle wasn’t designed for dark mode. So why criticize for that? You found it tedious just leave it at that.

      Delete
  23. I have to say, if the fill is the “primary part of the solving experience” it’s not clear how OFL will enjoy any Sunday, except the themeless ones (which he ironically hates). I was confused by this statement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He said fill is primary, not that themes or constructive feats are inherently bad; one could do a decent Sunday theme without sacrificing fill. But of course Rex often doesn’t like Sundays.

      Your comment made me curious, and it was in fact May 10 the last time he ranked a Sunday puzzle above 3 stars, so about five months ago. It was that one about “completing the circle” where theme clues had Cs that needed to be Os, and a C shape in the center of the grid needed to be completed with a “BLOCK” rebus. Anyway, I take it that gimmicks are fine if fill is not sacrificed along the way, but that’s often not the priority of Sunday constructors.

      Delete
  24. Anonymous9:32 AM

    Natick for me on Holi and moulin.

    I liked the echos in the NW and SE. ITSME and ISITME.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Did not enjoy. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  26. dishoma9:48 AM

    Absolutely gobsmacked! Banana Pudding Oreos are nothing less than manna from heaven. I’ve dreamed of a banana Oreo for most of my 60+ years, and I’m so excited. I love that the banana flavor isn’t too cloying. Maybe Rex got a bad batch?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can we make it a rule that when an answer is a Spanish word or suffix where only the terminal vowel changes (IT_, ES_, BUEN_, etc.), something in the clue needs to indicate the gender? It can be clever, it can be subtle, it can require you to know the gender of other Spanish words, but something. Especially when the terminal vowel crosses a less-familiar term (like C_RIOLIS).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:33 AM

      This! It took me forever to find my error after not getting the happy music. Turns out it was ITa/CaRIOLIS. I don’t speak Spanish and have never heard the term Coriolis effect

      Delete
    2. JHC
      The ito/a. issue drives me nuts also So you are not the only one. There is actually another one today, ESA though varnish solved that one. ((SW corner) I hoped it made O more likely in the other one. Needless to say I had forgotten the spelling of coriolis except that it probably ended in an S!

      Delete
  28. Anonymous9:58 AM

    Rex: I'm probably never going be an enjoyer of purely architectural themes.
    Me: Feh! Yuck! Pooey! Me either. Hate ‘em!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Teacher: How does one abbreviate Maine?
    Student: ISITME?
    Teacher: Yes, ITSME.
    (Kinda cool that these both appeared in today's puzzle)

    [26A Emerge] Got ARISE out of me.

    Usually, after I ANTE IDEAL

    @Rex giving an "ugh" to Bill MAHER left me wondering whether he'd be a liberal ORATORY in England.

    What did the baby owl yell as its mom picked it up with her beak? OWLET me go!

    I'm always awed by a construction feat pulled off well, and this was one. Yes, it became a bit of a grind to solve, but that's not the end of the world (for that you have your choice of AI, climate change, nuclear war and all of the above). So thanks for the SPLENDID puzzle, Adam Wagner.

    ReplyDelete
  30. RP's note on the OSPREY wintering in South America reminded me of Bette Midler's description of the poor. She said the poor are those who "winter where they summer."

    Twyla's would-be assassin: a THARP shooter.

    I knit my brow upon noticing THREADS next to YARN.

    Is a joke that's slightly less than corny CORNISH?

    Denigrating David Ortiz for alleged steroid use is a Big PAPI smear.

    Loved the puzzle. Brilliant wordplay.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I got some satisfaction from working this one out and especially appreciated the stand-alone words that emerged from within the themers. Crossword kismet indeed, as Adam said. I had LINGER before LIVE ON in the SW corner, and that held me up for a bit since I didn't know REVERSI. In the NE corner, I thought "Perhaps" was an interesting clue for SAY.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous10:29 AM

    I would really like a count of all the Beatles references, Star Wars has nothing on that. Now there's a cultural divide.

    ReplyDelete
  33. On the topic of Oreo flavors, this bit is amazing

    https://youtu.be/CMkYw4dp_NI?is=8vk9xmxVA_NTTiyo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:07 PM

      OMG! That is hysterical!

      Delete
    2. @SethC. That was pretty hilarious.

      Delete
  34. Anonymous10:40 AM

    Ugh. Too many names

    ReplyDelete
  35. What I liked about this solve was how every section seemed to flirt with a possible dnf. I was lucky to recall CORIOLIS. However I wasn't sure if that last vowel was "I" or "U." but I was sure of WEIWEI. SAMIN is unfamiliar to me but I had no doubt on that first "I" in CORIOLIS

    The suspense lasted until that SE corner where I was grateful for the familiarity of JETTA and BYRNE as well as the old standby SPA. Every section of this puzzle seemed to have at least one MERCS.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous10:43 AM

    I had OTHELLO first, then REVERSO, and finally REVERSI.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm not a fan of boxing so the title didn't mean anything to me (and really didn't reveal anything of help to the solve.) The platform I solve on (yeah, yeah, I was warned that it wouldn't have the features I needed to get the theme answers and I ignored that) doesn't do ellipses and the shaded answers were circles instead. So I solved as a themeless and as such, didn't appreciate the things Rex points out (i.e. the CORIOLIS effect, which is great). Post-solve, I went back to the NYTimes online version and typed in the answers I remembered from my solve into the gray areas, followed the arrows and got it. Okay, nice enough. I wouldn't go to SPLENDID but nice enough.

    Thanks, Adam Wagner, for an interesting Sunday puzzle.



    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous10:53 AM

    Clever construction as always from this constructor, but had to guess at the CORIOLIS/SAMIN crossing—trivia I didn’t know and assumed I got wrong. Turned out, though, my LOOK BACK instead of LOOP BACK was the error—no idea who David Ortiz was or what his nickname might be. More trivia. Bad clue (as Rex pointed out) for ITS ME, and even more so for LIB—WTH? Editors should keep MAGA slurs (or anything else related to that cult-like movement) out of the puzzle—this could easily have been clued something like [Women’s ___].

    ReplyDelete
  39. When we already had MEMED and MERC and THE WEB (and ESPORT as one of the secret answers), I’d have appreciated a non-web-speak way of clueing the perfectly normal word THREADS, sitting right beside YARN. I’ve never been on Twitter or BlueSky, so I felt helpless to come up with their competitor. Turns out I have heard of it after all, probably something FaceBook tries to push on me or something, but that just felt unnecessarily bringing us into the proliferation of social media apps that are trying to take over our lives.

    @Egsforbreakfast and another commenter appreciated having both ITS ME and IS IT ME in the puzzle. I have mixed feelings, since both are unpleasant fill. Does their presence together negate the unpleasantness? Maybe. I hadn’t noticed while I was solving, so they didn’t for me in the moment.

    To end on a positive note, I’ll join everyone who mention PLUTOED as a highlight of the puzzle. MOSH PIT was nice as well, and maybe MAD DASH. I had never heard EARGASM before, but I’d have been happier to keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Mediumish because grokking the theme took some nanoseconds.

    Impressive feat of construction but @Rex makes some good points, liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I woke up at my usual time, noticed that they had replaced today’s crossword with a stunt puzzle, while being reminded at the same time that they go green at 3:00 PM ET today in Kansas, then promptly closed the app and went back to sleep.

    I woke up a couple of hours later glad that I saved my energy for more productive endeavors, like vegging out on the couch with plenty of junk food while watching the NFL and NASCAR.

    ReplyDelete
  42. For me, the Loop Back revealer was very helpful because the starting point and directional arrows do not show in the puzzle software that I used. It wasn’t until I saw that revealer that I was able to figure out what was going on. Although the revealer referred to the answers looping back, it was only then that I realized that clues also looped back, i.e., reading the second part of the clue first then “looping back” to first part of the clue resulted in a straight-forward reading of the clue to the answer. That helped me figure out what the answers were and fill in my missing squares. Not having the arrows/starting points made the puzzle more challenging than it otherwise would have been, which made it more enjoyable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Like I said before - awful. Just when I needed it most :(
    A DNF - didn't even care enough to cheat.

    ReplyDelete
  44. To me, the architectural achievement was worth the lesser elements. Rare I feel that way about a Sunday NYT.

    @Rex — Happy anniversary! Not sure if you’re a wine drinker, but if so…since it’s your 23rd and the only thing I can associate 23 with is the greatest basketball player of all time…perhaps a bottle of Jordan cab sauv?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I immediately thought “23 Skidoo” and then wondered where did that come from? Surely it predates me, and my parents. Maybe it was from cartoons… hello WWW ITSME.

      Delete
    2. beverly c
      23 Skidoo goes back to the ‘’20’s.

      Delete
  45. Alex W12:01 PM

    Sherri and Terri - the rhyming obviously name helps, but those are some pretty deep cuts from the Simpsons

    ReplyDelete
  46. Too many Naticks. I hated it.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Two letters wrong, but no complaint. I hadn’t heard of WEIWEI, nor SAMIN, and went with CORIOLan for the effect. So, I’ll take the imperfect result. I rather enjoyed the looping theme. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I didn’t mind the theme having the random words, because at least they were real words. But way, way too many nouns for me.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Anonymous12:39 PM

    Weiwei crossing Coriolis crossing Samin was too much for me. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DITTO. Cariolis with my "ita," aka senor-ita.

      Delete
    2. DITTO. Cariolis with my "ita," aka senor-ita.

      Delete
  50. Anonymous12:42 PM

    WeiWei crossing Coriolis crossing Samin was too much for me. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Well, the luck and skill that it took to make this happen – I am boggled. Making these loops work horizontally and vertically, what crazy work of trial and error, and grid design, and there are six of these things!

    What??? So okay, crossnerd me is blown away. This is WEI WEI impressive.

    I never feel like Adam’s puzzles are just showing off, though. I always feel that twinkle in his eye – he’s an entertainer, and his puzzles bring smiles to my heart. (Just look at [Deals made on the spot?] for AD SALES.)

    And OMG can he stick with a challenge.

    There were some sticky fill-in points to make my brain happy, but there were plenty of easier areas to fill in, and I’m grateful for them, so I could sit back and just admire the beauty and virtuosity pulsing in the box. It turned out to be a very sweet solve.

    This, then, is a how-did-you-do-it and I’m-so-glad-you-did-it, Adam. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Mere Mortal in MI12:45 PM

    This puzzle made me fill like I was still watching the Michigan/Iowa game from Sat . . From the MI side.

    ReplyDelete
  53. A serious Natick, at least for me, with "Choreographer Twyla" crossing "Devore who co-founded one of the first U.S. agencies for nonwhite models in 1946". Otherwise a fine puzzle, but I'd agree that if the rotating answers had been either geographical or things that also spin it would have been a lot more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Anonymous1:46 PM

    Can anyone explain MERCS? Given the clue, it feels like it comes from the world of online/multiplayer shooters, and those are not my kind of game.

    I had to solve without the black bars or the arrows, and that made the solve more satisfying.

    The first letter I got in REVERSI was the central E, and I knew both names (OTH[E]LLO also fits). A rare example of a 7-letter kealoa.

    ReplyDelete
  55. So hoping it wouldn't be such a Sunday slog, I tried waiting until the morning to solve. But it was still a slog. Turns out I hadn't noticed the tiny little microscopic "note warning" button, and Across Lite only showed circled squares; no arrows or starting line. Those would have helped soooo much! And how come we get ITTOP and VEINTE?

    And so many Unknown Names; I won't even try to list them all. Never heard of THREADS. Buck O---- is not OWENS? SADIE Sink? (what a name!)

    And lotsa typeovers: EARWORM before EARGASM, DEAL before ANTE, SMORES before SMOREO (never heard of it).

    Nice to see OSPREY; we have lots of them here. This spring there was a nest on top of a huge light fixture at the baseball field a block from my house. They were flying up to it for weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Anonymous2:09 PM

    Kindly, nyt enough with the insults to vets....lets run through..."many vets have ptsd" and having complaining, its now "some vets have ptsd". Do you understand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous 2:09 PM
      I disagree strongly with the idea that mentioning PTSD is disrespectful to vets. PTSD has existed as long as trauma has existed. It is not a weakness, it is essentially a person’s mind trying to deal with the almost unindurable. In fact the idea that it is insulting keeps some vets getting treatment. The reaction to trauma varies widely, and all cases of PTSD are not severe My father had PTSD after being severely wounded towards the end of WW Ii (loss of dominant hand and loss of the other thumb) In his case, he suffered a moderate form of PTSD which military doctors were not aware of at the time. I know he would have appreciated learning that what he experienced was quite normal.

      Delete
  57. Anonymous2:17 PM

    This was quite a battle for a Sunday! I finished in 61 minutes. Whew! Loved the challenges - the naticks, the misdirects, the architecturally stunning puzzle. Super fun and thanks, Adam!!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Brian2:20 PM

    You’ll likely see your Osprey again around March when he returns to breed (as they do here in NJ).

    ReplyDelete
  59. I can't see anything except ITTOPA, ILLANO, AGRACE, and ITERPR in the finished grid. How is this OK? If they were ALL nonsense letter debris, that would be better than trying to make sense of the fact we also have plenty of unclued answers that ARE words - PECTIN, TETRAD, MOPERS, RAGE ON, and (dubiously) E-SPORT. I thought the solve was fine, and I don't even mind the 3-letter answers, but the inconsistency of the theme application is a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Took me way too long to figure out that the dark lines were starting points, and di see dn'tthe little arrows until after that. Sure would have helped to notice them all sooner.

    ITSME as an unhelpful answer made me think of answering the phone, saying hello, and having the caller say ITSME, That would make me want to hang up.

    Some unfamiliar names, took me too long to see the JUPITERPROBE. I did used to drive a JETTA 4-speed manual, which was a fun little car.

    Almost DNF'd on the PLUTOED / BESPOKE cross, so I learned two things at once. PLUTOED was totally new and like eidetic, which appeared earlier this week, BESPOKE is one of those words I have run into and sort of inferred its meaning but never bothered to look up. A mental alphabet run gave me the P and that was the end of the puzzle.

    Impressive cnostuctioneering, AW, and Almost Worth all the lack of fun I had solving it. Thanks for sharing your achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Eniale3:03 PM

    When my very bright 7-year-old son had to take an extra-long Christmas break to visit grandparents in Johannesburg, his teacher gave him a task to fulfill. He had to see if the Coriolis effect could be demonstrated. Luckily we had a physicist friend there who was most helpful, and Steve wowed the class when he got back. So I'd have had no excuse not to remember CORIOLIS.

    ReplyDelete
  62. @Rex - For your anniversary you might try to find a channel showing Jim Carrey in " The Number 23". Here's a synopsis:

    A man's (Jim Carrey) discovery of an obscure book about the number 23 leads him on a descent into darkness. As he becomes more obsessed with its contents, he becomes more convinced that it is, in fact, based on his life. To his horror, he discovers grave consequences in store for the book's main character.

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  63. A true feat of construction, this. Just finding theme entries of the correct size to make the little race tracks work is impressive. From this solver’s standpoint though, it was simply a “Oh, that’s exactly what it looks like” moment of appreciation sans excitement. Additionally, the fact that the solver need never engage with the race tracks to achieve completion disappointed me. But I loved that Adam linked his theme to the COREOLIS effect. And I loved even more remembering when I learned the word and its meaning.

    I learned about it from my brilliant (literally) brother who showed me pictures from the encyclopedia one afternoon. I was not yet seven. Our 1950 “Home Edition” of the Encyclopedia Britannica was actually a prize that I won by entering a weekly coloring contest from the “Cappy Dick” kids’ page (with the comics) in the Sunday Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch. It was the first time in my life that I was singled out for something “big.”

    The task each week was easy. Color the picture, solve the always easy “what’s missing from this picture” and send it in. I usually did all the kids’ page but never sent anything in: it seemed hopeless.

    This Sunday, the picture was of a “sheepless”Little BoPeep, shepherd’s crook in hand. I colored the picture and it turned out tidy, but I wanted something extra. Couldn’t think what though and tossed the page aside. Later that day, I was looking for a new roll of toilet paper from the bathroom cupboard and sitting next to that along with the big box of Band-Aids was a bag of cotton balls - serendipity! I got a blank piece of coloring paper, drew a big round circle with a small circle for a head, colored in a black face and ears, blue eyes and some legs. Then I cut out the small picture and glued it onto the side of my “sheep,” glued puffy white cotton balls onto the sheep’s “body” and legs around my picture and printed my name and address on the back. I had no real idea exactly how to mail it in because I did not want to fold it! As usual, Gran to the rescue. She found a flat box so we didn’t have to fold my puffy sheep. We walked to the post office near our house the next day. As the weeks went by, I forgot about it except on Sundays when I read the funnies and did the kid puzzles.

    Then one late afternoon, the postman knocked on our door. I opened it, and he had a gigantic and obviously heavy box on a wheeled cart. And he said he needed someone to sign for it. Gran came and he handed her his clipboard. She looked so surprised but just signed and the postman wheeled the box inside. I couldn’t wait and started investigating the label. Lo and behold, it was sent to “Parent or Guardian” of . . . Me! And that Sunday, on the kids’ page where the recent winners names were printed was a small headline that read “Girl Six Youngest Winner Ever!”

    The encyclopedia took pride of place in the bookshelves by the fireplace in our little 1940’s Craftsman bungalow, and my brother never ceased to call me “Girl Six” first because he was jealous and then to irk me, later to let me know he loved me. The last time was when he hugged saying, “You always loved me best, Girl Six,” and he took his life the next day. My own COREOLIS of memory.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This broke my heart

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:39 PM

      Thank you for sharing that very moving story about your brother. I know how much you miss him.

      Delete
    3. @CDilly52 3:38 PM
      Big hug. Wonderful memories from you as always, and so sad today.

      Delete
  64. Did everyone in Parkerville have a loopy-good time with this SunPuz? [m&e, too.] M&A's fave half-loop bubble word: AGRACE [competition for who'll be the next suspect DOJ bigwig]. Also noteworthy was SORTER, the one half-loop bubble word to get its own clue.

    staff weeject pick: CBD. Weeject on drugs.

    some fave stuff: ITSME & ISITME. SPLENDID. PLUTOED. EARGASM. LIB clue.

    Thanx for the fun, Mr. Wagner dude. Hard to beat a puz that provides its own PORTAPOTTIES. [As long as U don't get dizzy, while in there.]

    Masked & Anonymo9Us

    p.s.
    Runt puzzle:
    **gruntz**

    M&A

    ReplyDelete
  65. Not my kind of puzzle. These kinds of tricks are slightly amusing but I like my crosswords to ne about words, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Les S. Many folks here in the neighborhood have seen my grumbling about “grid art.” To me, the “art” is now simple to create, but just because something can be done, should it? I say no with very, very few exceptions.

      Delete
  66. One of my fastest Sunday finishes ever. The theme was clever but painfully obvious from the get-go.

    ReplyDelete
  67. afternoon solve today while in Denver. sure was an amazing feat of construction even though many of the answers were not as rewarding the puzzle itself. agree with Rex on the lack of fill that rises to the level of the theme itself. nobody's giving up the ghost at the ny times whether they use a.i. to construct - suspect they do which in my mind would explain why so many answers are 'banal'. who's behind the Curtain!

    ReplyDelete
  68. Got stuck for a bit in the lower section after confidently filling in "Othello" instead of "Reversi" and then "score", which is a better fit for the John Williams clue than "theme".

    ReplyDelete
  69. Anonymous5:47 PM

    I was bothered by 112A: "...clarify or explain) (Seeking to..." The answer is interpretive. Shouldn't it be a gerund (interpreting)? Also 2Down, where the clue was plural and the answer singular.

    ReplyDelete
  70. A bit on the easier side, at 71 percent of my average.

    I quite liked the theme today, though I quite agree with Rex that the second revealer was totally unnecessary, even before solving any of them. I don't mind it being there, but it seems a bit superfluous. CORIOLIS is nice, though I feel it's the wrong way, because I think of the way storm systems go, which is CCW in the north and CW in the south.

    I like the slight astronomy call-out. PLUTOED makes me a bit sad, even if the convention is reasonable. What is or isn't a planet is not a distinction that planetary scientists worry about a lot, since vanishingly few of them (possibly none at all) work on exactly all the planets and nothing else. JUPITER PROBES was nice. I guess you can throw CORIOLIS in there as well.

    I've never heard of SAL soda before, or MERCS. I've heard of BRAES before, but couldn't tell you more than maybe half a thing about them. There were also a bunch of answers that I threw in speculatively without being even halfway sure about them, but they mostly stuck (except as below).

    Errors: PCT for SEN. BOCKS for BECKS. OTHELLO for REVERSI, understandably. SCORE for THEME (?!). LACQUER for VARNISH (before thinking about what kind of word would end in Q). MAY for SAY, briefly. Averted by leaving the last letter in YENTL out. Pretty par for me.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Yes, another PPP extravaganza. Agree with those who complain about the naticks around "CARIOLIS," but I seem to be the only one to object to SOSICK/SEN...The latter was deliberately misdirected by "one in 100" rather than "one of 100," and the idea that the laudable "epic" is alluded to as the pejorative "sick" is uninferrable, nor isthe answer indicated as "slang." So tired of this pop culture crap.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Anonymous11:12 PM

    I came here 100% certain we were getting the Coriolos Effect clip from Bart Vs. Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Anonymous12:03 AM

    I am not a negative person and I appreciate how much work goes into constructing a puzzle but this one was so frustrating it actually made me mad !

    ReplyDelete
  74. ¿Te apuntas?

    Exhausting puzzle.

    Did not know there was a word for the CORIOLIS effect, so that's nice.

    SAL soda was my last entry. And then I went to figure out what it is, and I discovered it's perfectly fine to not know it.

    Makes me laugh that 🦖 thinks John Williams might be a Star Wars clue. Dude literally wrote the soundtrack of Gen X all the way into Harry Potter for the milennials. He's enormous.

    In America, SOLOS are spelled with an S. In the Roman forum, they spell it, "I wonder what that rumbling noise is coming from the north?"

    ❤️ MOSH PIT (if it was still 1996). PLUTOED (for a wildly over specific situation). The BLAHS.

    Gunkometer--
    People: 18
    Places: 5
    Products: 14
    Partials: 14
    Foreignisms: 6
    --
    Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 57 of 140 (41%)

    {The mayor of Gunkopolis welcomes you to the Gunkadrome. Please wear your galoshes to wade through this puzzle.}

    Funny Factor: 6 😐

    🔥 Ooh-la-la! 🔥 EARGASM.

    Uniclues:

    1 The best part of them shutting up.
    2 To boldly look for fruit trees on other planets.
    3 Opportunity to purchase commercials promoting the clear coating of patoots.
    4 Swiped refrigerators.

    1 ORATORY RAN LOW UPSIDE
    2 JUPITER PROBE'S PLUM JOB
    3 VARNISH ASSES AD SALE
    4 COOPTED COLD-KEEPS

    My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Sound you can hear after beginning a sentence, "Do you wanna...." LONER'S GRR.

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    ReplyDelete