Saturday, September 19, 2026

Rattled, humorously / SAT 9-19-26 / Following the leader too closely, say / Mell Lazarus comic strip that ran for 46 years / One might be cut off by an orchestra / It didn't come with a calculator until 2024 / Players who account for a disproportionate amount of a mobile game's revenue, in lingo / Ocean predator with external teeth

Constructor: Hannah Slovut-Einertson

Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium

THEME: none 

Word of the Day: "MOMMA" (44D: Mell Lazarus comic strip that ran for 46 years) —
Momma
is an American comic strip by Mell Lazarus that ran from October 26, 1970, to July 10, 2016. [...] The central character is Sonya Hobbs, an annoying, short, widowed, opinionated senior citizen mother with a controlling, nagging personality. Although Lazarus based the character on his own mother, when he showed it to her, she thought the character was based on his aunt, exclaiming, “You caught Aunt Helen to a tee!” [...] Momma was Lazarus' second strip; he had been publishing the syndicated strip Miss Peach since 1957. Debuting on October 26, 1970, Momma was initially distributed by the Publishers-Hall Syndicate, and later was handled by Creators Syndicate and published in more than 400 newspapers worldwide. // Creators Syndicate announced Momma's (and Mell Lazarus') death July 10, 2016, in a comic strip memorial that included other grieving comic strip characters. (wikipedia)
• • •

[omygod look at its stupid little smiley face! adorable! how is this not a popular cartoon character!?]

This one has some real high points, but also some features I either don't like or don't get. Why take beautiful animals like WHALES, with infinite cluing possibilities, and render them into some mobile gaming slang (??) with a paragraph-long explanatory clue? (15D: Players who account for a disproportionate amount of a mobile game's revenue, in lingo). I know everyone wants to be hip and now and current and with-it and "hello, fellow youths," but I don't get it. Just because you found a new clue for WHALES does not mean you found a good clue for WHALES. Let the WHALES swim free with the SAW SHARKs (34D: Ocean predator with external teeth). I have no idea what SAW SHARKs are, but at least I can both infer and picture it. Also, SAW SHARK reminds me of Watchmen, which I'm currently teaching in my comics class. Specifically, it reminds of this moment, when one of the detectives gets a phone tip on where they can find Rorschach (a wanted vigilante), only "Rorschach" is not what he hears ...


In the next panel, both detectives realize who the tip's about and go running out of the room. They do ultimately catch him and imprison, but that goes bad for pretty much everyone except Rorschach (he maims and kills a lot of his fellow prisoners and psychologically ruins his well-meaning psychiatrist before eventually escaping). Anyway ... SAW SHARK! Vivid. GUITALELE, though, shrug. Why does that obscure instrument need two names? Also, this is not the debut of GUITALELE. Yes, it's been five years, but that's the kind of word you gotta let rest for at least ten. It's not your word, it's a wordlist word, used mainly for that string of ultra-common letters on the end. If you want to put something cool in the puzzle, try UKITAR. That's a much better name, anyway, and it would be original! (UKITAR appearances in NYTXW to date: zero). 


Further, I think you get two "UP"s but you do not get three "UP"s, so this one exceeded the "UP" limit today (LIGHTEN UP, SHAPE UP, "I'LL SHUT UP"). The fact that all the "UP"s were terminal made the piling up of "UP"s much more noticeable (and irksome). Lastly, in the "boo!" department, VENEERED is a particularly ugly word, and I did not enjoy sitting and waiting and guessing what the last three letters of TEEHEE--- were going to be (29D: [Giggle]). TEEHEEING seemed possible. But no, we just get an extra, gratuitous titter part. TEEHEE is never good fill. Adding an extra HEE doesn't improve matters. 


OK, now I'LL SHUT UP (16A: End of a rant, perhaps) ... actually, no I'll continue, but in a much more positive vein. Because much of this puzzle is very fresh and fun and (importantly) far from dull. Those NE and SW corners (GUITARLELE excepted) are lovely, with the SW probably being the puzzle's best part. Real talky and voicey and sassy, and clean clean clean from top to bottom. I also loved the clues on OSCAR SPEECH (37A: One might be cut off by an orchestra) and EMPTY SUIT (31D: No-talent boss), and SHOOKETH, lol, that already feels dated, but it did make me laugh (the lag time on themeless publication, as I understand it from recent discussions with constructors, can be pretty long, so who knows when this puzzle was actually made—probably at least a year ago) (42A: Rattled, humorously). The slanginess continues with RETCON (a shortening of "retroactive continuity"), a common concept in various ongoing fictional universes (26D: Storytelling device that revises previously established facts, informally). There's a lot to like here, even if the ride gets a little bumpy in places.


Weird solve for me, as I came roaring out of the NW and then came to an awkward, abrupt stop. Wrench in the gears at the crossing of WHALES, BAD LOT, and VENEERED. Forward progress, completely thwarted. But then, also weird, instead of starting over with the short fill in some other section, I somehow looked at the clue for a long answer, 28A: Youngest congressional appointees ... and that was a gimme. Wrote in SENATE PAGES and couldn't believe it was right. So easy. From there, I was off and running again, down into the SE, then back up through the middle, eventually joining the SE and NW by settling all the WHALES / BAD LOT / VENEERED nonsense. That left the NE and SW corners, which were the best part, so I inadvertently saved the best for last—always nice to finish on a high note. Not much in the puzzle that I outright didn't know today. WHALES, obviously ... SAW SHARK, but that wasn't hard to guess ... OLUO is a name I've seen on bookshelves and thought "oh, so you want to be in crosswords, do you?" But I didn't remember it today. Otherwise, there's nothing particularly obscure about any of the grid content. Then again, I grew up with Rod CAREW on my baseball cards and "MOMMA" in my local newspaper, and Sidney LUMET's Dog Day Afternoon is one of my favorite movies, so it's possible the proper nouns were more me-friendly than they were you-friendly today.


Bullets:
  • 12D: Following the leader too closely, say (CULTY) — a debut, and a good one! The context is ambiguous so when you finally stumble on the answer, it's a (to me, funny) surprise. 
  • 20A: Runner's goal (HOME PLATE) — more ambiguity. First thought track & field "runner," then went way off-book and thought maybe we were dealing with a TV showrunner ... or a computer program, which runs, obviously ... in the end, it was just baseball—a baserunner.
  • 19A: Siva ___ (traditional dance named for its country of origin) (SAMOA) — so, basically, [Five-letter country], got it? I was like "Siva SPAIN ... sounds wrong." Good instinct, me!
  • 21A: Good-for-nothings (BAD LOT) — had the BAD and was so mad that I could not make a plural answer! BADDYS!? The two-word, non-"S"-ending group noun never occurred to me. Until it did.
That's all for today. I had a wonderful time at the WFMU crossword meet-up on Thursday night. I'll talk about it in greater detail in tomorrow's write-up, but for now, I'll just say that solving original puzzles with a roomful of your fellow nerds in a very relaxed, non-tournament setting, while eating OREOs and other less crosswordy snacks and listening to a carefully curated playlist of ONO, ENO, SADE, SIA, etc.—it was more fun that I could've imagined. The people who came out to solve and say hi were So Nice. There were even a couple of constructors there that I knew. We solved three puzzles (including one of my own) and after each one we'd put the solution up on a screen and (briefly) talk about it and take questions about it. All the puzzles were WFMU-themed (it was a WFMU benefit, after all). Anyway, people were disarmingly lovely to me. It was a fun night out. I hope we do it again next year. Thanks to Evan Davies, the WFMU DJ who arranged it all (and contributed a puzzle of his own—his first!) as well as Gary Cee, a longtime NYTXW constructor who contributed a puzzle as well. And thanks especially to the blog-readers who came out to solve and say hi. It meant a lot to me. (Also, if you were there and have pictures you’d be willing to email me, I’d really appreciate it)

[Gary, Evan, me]

See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

82 comments:

  1. This puzzle was dressed to the nines, in a way, with 14 answers of that length. Many of them added personality to the box – I’LL SHUT UP, GUITALELE, SMART MOVE, PAPA BEAR, EMPTY SUIT.

    There are 20 longs, actually – answers of eight letters or more – extremely high for a 15x15, and Hanna’s grid-building chops show, as there’s hardly a whiff of junk to be found, IMO. This grid design, by the way, is a Times puzzle debut.

    I loved the SAW SHARK touching corners with the WHALES, and the symmetrical LIGHTEN UP and TEE HEE HEE. I adored GUITALELE, a word I’ve never seen or heard before, and which is so much fun to say.

    There was enough vagueness in the cluing to get my brain fully involved, and yet, as with all of Hannah’s puzzles, it had a lovely soft feel overall.

    And thus, I was charmed and delighted. This was a gift – thank you, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lewis, I love your "dressed to the nines"!

      Delete

  2. Medium. A nice Saturday themeless.
    * * * * _

    Overwrites:
    I remembered that a ventriloquist won America's Got Talent, but it didn't fit. So I tried idol at 23A before EMMY.
    At 57A, I had make SENSE before TALK.

    WOEs:
    Author Ijeoma OLUO at 6D.
    Neither the instrument GUITALELE nor its clue, Ukitar (18A)
    The dance Siva SAMOA at 19A, although knowing it was a country helped.
    The informal storytelling device RETCON at 26D. I filled that answer in pencil so I'd know to look there first if I didn't get the happy music.
    I've heard of a sawfish but not a SAW SHARK (34D). Great idea for a movie: An ocean predator turns nice and helps what would normally be its prey. The Sawshark Redemption.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easier than yesterday for me by a few seconds. 64 words, 6 “cheater” squares. Nice puzzle. I just couldn’t remember the end of Lumet’s name (and RETCON wasn’t any help). That T was my last square. 20 across (HOMEPLATE) and OSCARSPEECH were both great as clued. Thanks, Hannah, for this terrific, smooth Saturday…. Felt almost Fridayish to me. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Film about a deep-sea diver who turns his life around after a frightening underwater experience: The SAWSHARK Redemption.

    Jason Momoa
    Is not from SAMOA.
    He was born in Hawaii
    But lives there nomoa.

    Science headline: Man LOSES FACE; Sues Plastic Surgeon

    The males (who knew some Yiddish) in the audience applaudeth when the lovely young dancer SHOOKETH her tucheth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DAVinHOP7:21 AM

      Pretty early in the day for such good stuff, @live prof. 👍👍

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:32 AM

      Even this use of whale would have been better: “A high roller, also referred to as a whale or cheetah, is a gambler who consistently wagers large amounts of money. High rollers often receive lavish "comps" from casinos to entice them onto the gambling floors, such as free private jet transfers, limousine use, and use of the casinos' best suites.” —Wikipedia

      Delete
    3. Anonymous3:04 PM

      Definitely worth a TEEHEEHEE

      Delete
  5. Anonymous7:13 AM

    Culty? Nope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Solid follow up to yesterday’s gem. Another tough looking grid with huge segmented corner stacks but it did allow some clean footholds. EMPTY SUIT, GOD HELP ME, I MEAN YEAH - top notch stuff. The great Rod CAREW even shows up.

    LIGHTEN UP

    Not sure why VENEERED is on the big guy’s list. Agree on the GUITALELE and especially TEE HEE HEE. Side eye to AROMANTIC. Keep Pacino - Cazale makes the movie. SENATE PAGES gives me the creeps.

    Refuge of the Roads

    Highly enjoyable Saturday morning solve. David Williams’ Stumper is another deeply segmented grid today - bring your guns.

    LIGHTEN UP while you still can

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:55 PM

      Any subtle clue as to what the heck is going on in the Stumper would be deeply appreciated!!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:10 PM

      If you’re seeing duplicate clues, the delivery screwed up - you’re not crazy. A comment on crosswordfiend.com had the correct layout. Sorry I can’t link.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous7:23 AM

    Perserverence paid off with sparkly rewards. The northeast was hardest—the U in the OLUO/GUITALELE set off the music and SHOOKETH me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey All !
    Puz SHOOKETH me a tad. Having cArdTABLE threw me off a bit in that section. Also, a good guess on the U cross of GUITARLELE/OLUO (took @M&A's advice...), but a not good guess at the T cross of LUMET/RETCON. Had a K there, thinking it may be a C. But, twas a T.

    Did notice the three UPs, they being close together didn't help. Thought maybe we'd get a few more, sorta like a mini-meta-theme, or something.

    Decent fill, decent toughness. Interesting grid design.

    Hope y'all have a great Saturday!

    One F
    RooMonster
    DarrinV

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would've gone to the crossword meet-up had we not gotten a rambunctious new puppy. Wish I'd been there!

    This puzzle was an Easy for me- finished well below my average time- but I had some good fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was prepared to say SHOOKETH is probably the second-worst clue-answer pair I've seen this year, but then Rex's writeup makes it sound like this is some recently-faddish usage, which makes it just ordinarily bad, rather than next-level bad.

    Otherwise a pretty good Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. DAVinHOP7:43 AM

    Good Saturday workout...generally. Same reaction as Rex...high points aplenty but a few not to my taste.

    Only four 3-letter words (none Downs...wow!). That's quite a constructing feat with so many (@Lewis counts 20) longs. Like Rex, we (I.e., my wife) entered SENATE PAGES sans crosses and slowly but surely, it was right!

    But RETCON should be nominated for Worst-Looking XW Puzzle Answer, Tortured Clue Division. And GOD HELP ME, can we please cut back on the "(equivalent)" clues (six today), particularly when they are adjacent (53 and 55 Across). 47A could have easily made a TRIfecta; but thankfully not. So why clue 26A (a gimme; one of the four threes) that way, versus, say, Actress McClanahan?

    I once worked with an EMPTY SUIT boss who, ironically, loved using that phrase to describe other people.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are always most upset by qualities in others that they themselves are guilty of. (horrible sentence, sorry)

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8:42 AM

      I heard of sawfish but not saw sharks

      Delete
  12. Christopher8:24 AM

    The fact that I was able to eventually infer GUITALELE doesn't mean.that the answer didn't trigger my gag reflex.

    And had I not cheated at the end, that knot of RETCON, LUMET and DAMES in the center would have eluded me until I drew my last breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:30 PM

      Christopher
      DAMES
      Very common clue answer combo, two English female celebrities eg Ditto for two male English celebrities eg for sirs. So nothing weird about it. Admittedly RETCON desperation choice is pretty bad

      Delete
  13. How did Michael get in my head on the "runners" clue - exact same progression.

    I really liked the GUITALELE clue - it made me do a little mental gymnastics. ukulele + guitar = ukitar: guitar + ukulele = GUITALELE.

    "pinewood" > VENEERED - not sure why that is a hated word, maybe all those sharp edges. veneered looks better. It is rather melifluous to say.

    Same aha ha reaction to CULTY, although it just doesn't look right on the page.

    WHALES is especially tortured as a gaming clue since it was borrowed from gambling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was how I looked at GUITALELE also so I didn’t think of it as a bad entry.

      Delete
  14. I’ll disagree with OFL on this one, as I think the NE section actually dragged the puzzle down a notch. I can’t get excited about a small section that contains OLUO, ESTE, GUITALELE and CULTY. Sorry, but I still want to see “real” words in my crosswords and that type of niche terminology just doesn’t do it for me.

    I would also lump TEE HEE HEE and I MEAN YEAH in the same category. The rest of the grid and the clues were actually pretty good - probably enough so to carry this one to three stars overall, but I think Rex is being generous with that extra half star today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. The NE was ugly

      Delete
    2. Anonymous1:47 PM

      Mid east and SE were my nemeses, never been to a bachelorette party, why SASHes? ShookETH??? Had ENTIre for the "whole thing" and could not "shooketh" it.

      Delete
  15. Why I enjoyed this puzzle - 1) The saw shark was my son’s favorite at the Camden Aquarium where we spend many afternoon’s many years ago. Have never seen it in a puzzle. 2) Guitalele - despite playing several stringed instruments for many years and a daughter who played even more - I have never seen one in any music store - maybe just not looking. Overall, the puzzle was a little too easy for a Saturday but there was enough there to make me enjoy it. Very few esoteric names of places or people so kudos to the constructor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Easier than I thought it would be after reading some early clues (1A--tech stuff," ukitar" what language is that?) but got some good flow going and it turned out OK. I triple-checked crosses trying to find how I could change CULTY into a real word but gave up, and that turned out to be correct, although it shouldn't be This is where I argue the concept and not the fact.

    I missed out on SHOOKETH and RETCON somehow and now I guess they're already dated. Oh well. Hello to author OLUO. Strangely enough I thought of "Miss Peach" right away but needed the M's for MOMMA.

    Nice Saturday HSE. I Had Some Exceptions, which I've noted. Thanks for a decent amount of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I Pads didn’t have a calculator until 2024? That doesn’t sound right. My I Pad is from 2021 and it’s had a calculator on it from the start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that also! Mine is also not 2024 and I have a calculator under “utilities.” So I waited for crosses on that.

      Delete
  18. And God saideth "Don't let your wife be BADLOT, ORELSE I'll turn her into a pillar of salt." And Lot SHOOKETH and replied, "Sure, IMEANYEAH. GODHELPME TALKSENSE to that WEE MISS. Or any DAMES for that matter. OK. ILLSHUTUP now."

    I liked being able to start with the unknown-to-me Ukitar and quickly infer the the equally unknown GUITALELE. I assume that @Gart Jugert is a master of both.

    Fun puzzle. Thanks, Hannah Slovut-Einertson.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @egsforbreakfast 9:43 AM
      Let me send a little love into the universe for GUITALELE (despite cracking on it pretty hard in my post below) and yes sometimes we call it a ukitar.

      First, it's a little bigger than a ukulele so it can sound more mellow. Second, it has six strings so you have more options than a ukulele for voicing. Third, you typically tune it lower than a ukulele and higher than a guitar so it lives in a rarely visited netherworld. Fourth, it does not use reentrant tuning (out of order strings) like a ukulele, so even a guitar-brain can make sense of it, whereas they typically melt in ukulele tuning. Fifth, they're perfect if you travel and have ever experienced the withering contempt of flight attendants looking at the full-size guitar you're planning to stow on board. Sixth, and finally, c'mon it's a great portmanteau right UP there with Banjolele.

      Delete
    2. Love the biblical story. It really ties the puzzle together.

      Overall an enjoyable solve. For some reason, I particularly liked I’LL SHUT UP (despite the annoying UP triplication) and I MEAN YEAH. Both made me smile.

      Delete
    3. Egs and Gary J in reply, you are both daily faves of mine and are smokin’ hot today!

      Delete
  19. Maybe I was off my game yesterday but I found this easier than Friday. I don't time myself, but this was just steady trip through the grid with no real stumpers. God help me opened up SW corner, which was my only slow spot

    ReplyDelete

  20. WHALES are patrons of casinos, notably Las Vegas, who bet and usually lose fortunes. Often they are comped over from China.

    As was noted above, only four Terrible Threes. A near record.

    Entries whjch are trite to Rex are new to me, like SHOOKETH. What makes that word repeatable? ILLSHUTUP now.

    Liked it. Crunchy with some sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous10:24 AM

    Enjoyed this puzzle even on the phone, which I hate using for crosswords. Did not get SHOOKETH or the SE corner - all those tiny letters and not able to easily read the crossing clues. Bad memory I guess! The names I had to look up to ease the solve. I like to think I would have been totally successful on paper!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loved and agreed with the write-up! River Shook would be a nice addition.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was an average Saturday which means it needed half the effort of yesterday's solve. It's been happening a lot of late. Friday puzzles are a wildcard in the progression order but I've never seen the reverse in difficulty so consistent.

    CULTY is one of those words that exist only in crosswords. I didn't check to see if it's a debut but I hope to never see it again.

    RETCON is obviously the hybrid of two shortened words. I had no idea which. Our host has kindly explained it and it's origins are just as RETChed as I would have imagined.

    I didn't mind that the puzzle was IMBUEd with UPs. The phrases they appear in are all legit

    I savedthe U of OLUO for last. As obvious as the portmanteau of GUITAr and UKULELE was I've never seen OLUO so there was a shadow of a doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found your comment about the Friday/Saturday puzzles to be very interesting since I had said something along the same lines today. I ended up cutting it from my comment for the sake of brevity, but I have noticed the trend as well.

      Delete
    2. I agree with the observation on Friday/Saturday puzzle difficulty. My Friday times have been climbing recently (which I attribute to the amount of unknown-to-me pop culture trivia that seems to be a Friday staple) while my Saturday times are dropping.

      Different perspective on CULTY, though. I've never heard it or seen it, and got it only from crosses today, but I knew what it meant as soon as I saw it, and thought "that's a perfect description."

      Delete
  24. Anonymous10:40 AM

    Eveybody loses at the casino eventually.
    Whales just lose more.
    Of course society suffers the most loss.
    Gambling has been known as a vice for almost all history. That it is now state-sanctioned is morally bankrupt.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous10:40 AM

    Got fed up with this one after TEEHEEHEE and GAME TABLE. No game table is felt—they’re felt-covered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually most professional gaming tables and the surfaces of pool tables are baize. It has a felt-like feel but wears better. It's woven, not felted. The covers you put over your kitchen table for poker night are likely felt. Quite suitable for occasional use.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the baize vs felt comment, Les S. I was going to make the same distinction.

      Delete
  26. After a rocky week, I really enjoyed this preferring a good themeless anyway. I really liked AROMANTIC. WOES = RETCON, OLUO, SHOOKETH, CULTY???.
    Relieved after the past week, thank you, Hannah, for an enjoyable Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I know I mentioned this yesterday but I'll echo @Rex on his take of the magical get-together Thursday night. If he ever comes to your town, try to meet him, I promise you'll be glad you did! Thank you again for the amazing community you created here! ILLSHUTUP now.

    The puzzle: Like some others, this was a mixed bag of highs and lows for me, though mostly highs, and very high highs if that's a phrase.. I thought the stacks of of the NE and SW were very, very good and they both made me work diligently.. Mostly fun, in-the-language stuff with the exception of GUITALELE, didn't love that one. To my eye it looks a little wonky in the grid with the other good stuff and it was one of the few lower points for me.

    As I said, those stacks really made me work. HOMEPLATE had me all over the place. Was it track and field? Someone escaping (ala Logan's Run)? I even was thinking something to do with a carpet on the stairs! I think it was FULLMEAL finally falling that gave me the L that for whatever reason gave me the direction I needed to tackle that corner.

    I usually don't notice these things but the UPs really stood out today. It doesn't bother me quite as much as it does @Rex, but three of them seemed a bit much.

    The other long fill was top notch as well. Loved the cluing for OSCARSPEECH, and SENATEPAGES sits very pretty there in the middle. VENEERED, however, was not a favorite, kind of on the same level as GUITALELE for me, not horrible, just not as pleasing to my eye as the rest.

    With all that, to have as many long entries in this size grid (as @Lewis pointed out), and to have 99% of them be of such high quality (please don't correct my math here...) this was true crossword art. Thank you Hannah, this was a wonderful start to the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Easy.

    Theme wise it seems like there’s a conversation going on in the SW.

    I did not know - RETCON, SAMOA, GUITALELE, OLUO, SAW SHARK, and the IPAD fun fact.

    Sorta costly erasure - I tried to fit Loosen where LIGHTEN was supposed to go.

    Breezy and fun with boat load of sparkle, liked it a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  29. A rare Saturday in that I truly enjoyed the solving experience. My usual Saturday mode is more along the lines of GOD HELP ME! In fact, it was far easier than yesterday’s. Also one that surprised me when I finished which often happens with late-week puzzles.There were certain areas where I thought I’d never figure out the answer, but then I look at the final result and think well, YEAH, that makes perfect SENSE.

    Anyway, it was actually fun even with a couple of lookups. GUITALLELE was a total unknown and made even more challenging with OLUO and CULTY in the downs. Agree with RP about the clue for WHALES and absolutely loved learning about the SAW SHARK. Although this one doesn’t totally look the part, sharks in general are considered a BAD LOT for good reason. I wouldn’t ever want to encounter one with that set of choppers. It could definitely result in a situation where one LOSES FACE.

    Thank you Hannah, for a fine Saturday outing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Te arrepentirás de ese día.

    Positively charming puzzle with Funnyisms and chattiness and the proper amount of gunk. I am wondering if the editorial team has a new member because two days of humor in a row would ordinarily exhaust our usual crew.

    Um hello, we're two and a half decades into a new century. The 1970s are not a thing anymore. CAREW from the 70s, and I ran the alphabet to find LUMET from a 70s movie, and I don't remember RETCON being a "whole thing" when I went to the university in the 80s to study English . LUMET'S Wikipedia page is so long my brain collapsed so he's going to be a mystery the next time too.

    Other than one T, this puzzle was fun and challenging enough to feel weekendy.

    LOSES FACE: Having an old man staring at me in the mirror.

    I own a GUITALELE of course and it's stupid. It makes sounds like you're already in Hell and Jimmy Buffet is the DJ. But it sits in your lap alongside your laptop so I compose and arrange with it all the time. It's always a relief to switch to a real instrument and be reminded music doesn't always sound like a metal wagon with a squeaky wheel driving over a cracked parking lot.

    Epstein was in charge of the youngest congressional appointees. Who do you suppose is handling that these days? That will be a cub reporter's break-through exposé because you know those sad sacks in the bro club in Washington are still up to their ways.

    ❤️ I SHOOKETH all night long. It felt CULTY. I'LL SHUT UP.

    Gunkometer--
    People: 6
    Places: 2
    Products: 2
    Partials: 3
    Foreignisms: 2
    --
    Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 15 of 64 (23%)

    Funny Factor: 6 😅

    🔥 Ooh-la-la! 🔥 TEE HEE HEE. PAPA BEARS. WEE SHOOKETH.

    Uniclues: @Hannah! You set these up nicely.

    1 Zoom crashes.
    2 Goal of a Washington foodie cannibal.
    3 What makes a girl a girl.
    4 Prayer of the billionaire.
    5 Theme of the Rex blog, with "not."
    6 Granny ursa.
    7 A Republican.

    1 IPAD LOSES FACE
    2 EAT SENATE PAGES
    3 MISS ENTITY
    4 GOD HELP ME AMASS
    5 LET'S TALK SENSE
    6 PAPA BEARS MOMMA
    7 CULTY EMPTY SUIT

    My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Sit quietly stewing with contempt while the drunken white guy slurs his political opinions at you. ABIDE BAR FLY.

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cracked me up with your GUITALELE talk!

      Delete
    2. Bertie Wooster plays the banjolele and loses his devoted Jeeves over it. I hate to imagine what it must sound like if the GUITARLELE is so awful. Have you by chance heard one of those?

      Delete
    3. Just curious. While trying to absorb the everything on the Wikipedia page, did you try using INFINITE SCROLL? Sorry, couldn’t help myself. Also, thanks for the colorful description of the GUITALELE.

      Delete
    4. PS re Uniclue #7: Spot on, particularly as it applies to my state’s two SENATE members.

      Delete
    5. Dy-no-MITE Gary! 🤯. While solving, several times I thought “Gary’s uniclues today will be pure gold.” Right on!

      Delete
  31. Lots not to like, culty? cultish maybe. Retcon crossing shooketh. The clue on God help me.
    Did finish it in the end but no joy here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same thoughts on CULTY.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous1:57 PM

      46A The whole THING? ENTITY? An entity is a being, a creature. Not a thing!

      Delete
    3. Anonymous7:55 PM

      Anonymous 1;57 PM
      Words usually have multiple meanings.
      Entity is most definitely used for corporations which despite what the Supreme Court believes is not a being.
      BTW Merriam Webster actually used thing in its 1b definition. Look up by you criticize

      Delete
  32. Anonymous11:14 AM

    theme of puzzle...'tag up'

    ReplyDelete
  33. I ended UP liking this but there was some dreck. I was expecting the SAWSHARK Redemption jokes so thank you for those.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for the photo and description of the event, Rex—wish I could have been there. If you ever have any events in the “blood-soaked killing fields of North Carolina” (our favorite new moniker after a presidential visit this week), I’ll make sure to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  35. MetroGnome11:31 AM

    SHOOKETH?! CULTY?!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great puzzles two days in a row! I enjoyed both and only difference is that today I didn’t have to cheat and my timer says I was quite a bit faster in finishing than yesterday. Hand up for having confusion as to what kind of runner, which had me fill in TIMEPALACE (thinking it might be a marathon runner term 🙄) which led to me to putting in LISTTENUP (yes, inappropriate AND misspelled) so…most of the time I spent was in the NE straightening things out and putting on my “runners” thinking cap.
    Wonderful puzzle Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous12:04 PM

    [Pod cast?]

    Modern clue for WHALES that's still about WHALES the animals. Maybe "cast" is a stretch, feels a bit Stumper-like.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous12:16 PM

    Very similar solving experience to Friday (about 2 minutes over average both days). In both cases, I didn't get much initial traction, and I wondered at times if I'd be able to finish a certain corner, but I made it!

    Typeovers: I had OSCAR WINNER before OSCAR SPEECH. My MAKE SENSE (instead of TALK SENSE) in the SW led to SAW SKATE instead of SAW SHARK. I already had the E in LUMET from TEEHEEHEE, so when I tried to type in LUMET I ended up with LUMEE (but didn't really register it was wrong), so I started with REECHO before eventually getting to RETCON.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Other than a couple of instant write-ins - SENATE PAGES, OSCAR SPEECH, I found the puzzle pleasingly resistant throughout. I enjoyed seeing one gem after another slowly come into view. I especially liked the EMPTY SUIT embellished with a SASH.

    Do-overs: BAD men, make SENSE. New to me: RETCON, WHALES in gaming. LOSES FACE right here: with LI?HTENUP in place, I thought I had something wrong. Feeble defense: I'd really tried to make LoosEN UP work, and that blinded me to the obvious?

    ReplyDelete
  40. The first answer I was able to write in, after RUE, was OSCAR SPEECH.
    The last letter I filled in was the C in CULTY so the puzzle ended with a laugh. Thumbs up from me.

    Never heard it if SHOOKETH is a thing somewhere, but humor in the puzzle is good.

    Sometimes I suspect themeless puzzles were submitted with a theme, in this case UP, and then lightly re-worked for a themeless.

    ReplyDelete
  41. A mere 64-worder, but what words it had were sure neat.
    Except maybe for RETCON/SHOOKETH.

    staff weeject pick: WEE. As in "a wee 4 3-letter answers, today".

    lotsa fave stuff. OSCARSPEECH indeed had a real neat clue. The SW longball array was mighty impressive. Also fond of EMPTYSUIT [knew a few of them, at a corp. I once worked at].

    TEEHEEHEE makes its debut. Good for a few laughs, I reckon.

    Thanx for the challengin fun, Ms. Slovut-Einertson darlin. Enjoyed almost all my sufferin.

    Masked & Anonymo6Us

    p.s.
    Runt puzzle:
    **gruntz**

    M&A

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a weird puzzle. I got halfway through last evening and gave up. This morning I was amazed by how many vague clues led to answers I had to delete and typeover (typical example: 38 down DETESTS before RESENTS.) And so many answers that just sounded made up: OLUO, CULTY, GUITALELE, RETCON, SHOOKETH? And somehow in those 46 years I've never seen the comic MOMMA?

    Anyway, I did finally finish clean and learned a few new things, so not a bad puzzle. A sunny warm Saturday, so off to the beach this afternoon; not too many beach days left probably!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Tom T2:37 PM

    One of those finishes that truly surprised me when the Happy Music began. I had two or three places about which I was unsure. Had a dear, dear friend, no longer with us, who famously used the phrase "LIGHTEN UP" regularly. That alone adds a star to this puzzle for me. 29 minutes--"normal/medium" for me.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I told you yesterday I'd be at a yard sale until noon, but it turned out to be until 2. Fortunately, the puzzle was very easy -- I'd have complained about that if I wasn't running late.

    I've seen RETCON in a puzzle very recently; since Rex doesn't mention it, I think it must have been "Out of Left Field," so it's OK here. I've never seen GUITALELE before, and hope never to again. I don't really want to hear one, either.

    I think WHALES is more general than mobile gaming; I've seen it used to refer to heavy bettors at casinos, for example. so I didn't mind it.

    I didn't like CULTY, though. Isn't the actual word "cultish?" We don't need another word for the same thing.

    OK, I'LL SHUT UP.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Jarrett M3:12 PM

    Hi, everyone. This is my first time posting on Rex’s page, and I have to admit, I’m a little intimidated by all you guys!

    I’m just getting back into crosswords. I can pretty much handle Monday through Thursday now, and I love the tricky Thursdays. Until a couple of weeks ago, I’d never even attempted a Friday or Saturday. But I’ve started trying them and discovered that even though they’re “harder,” they’re actually gettable if you just keep hacking away at them. And cheat a little, like I do, by looking up the occasional thing on the internet. 😄

    Anyway, I hope you guys don’t mind me hanging out here. See you in the comments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard! I think you'll find we're all friendlies here.

      Delete
  46. I noticed the UPs, which I usually don't pay attention to, but they were all clustered in the NE and thus more obvious.

    After GaD HELP ME made no sense, I then knew it was MOMMA, not MaMMA. A Spelling Bee choice. VENE_____ had me scratching my head before I could picture the typical IKEA product in my head.

    I can't remember seeing the full TEE HEE HEE in a grid before but it didn't hold me up at all.

    Hannah Slovut-Einertson, thanks for the fun, easy Saturday themeless.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I thought Friday was an exemplar of what a FULL MEAL weekend puzzle should be. Today's seemed to LIGHTEN UP a bit on that account but was still a solid weekend worthy offering.

    Stuff like OLOU, RETCON, CULTY and TEE HEE HEE did IMBUE the grid with a bit of a crosswordese feel. And the fill needed some help when ICE, LOSE FACE, PAPA BEAR, SENATE PAGE, DAME, MP, RESENT, MAV, SET and LET all came up short of their slots. POC (plural of convenience) to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Not sure if ENTITY really means "the whole thing." Isn't an ENTITY a supernatural being? I'd go with ENTIRETY as "the whole thing."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You go my one real “nit” today, although CULTY in response the its clue made me wince a little.

      Delete
  49. Anonymous8:14 PM

    Entity is not restricted to beings. 1b of Merriam-Webster definition uses the word “thing” which is probably where they got the clue from.

    ReplyDelete
  50. The fun overpowered any complaints I had today. Must have been the same for OFL given his critique (and 3 1/2 stars). Our constructor had me as a fan with the giraffe puzzle back in the spring (I think). Henceforth, her byline alone will bring a frisson of joyful anticipation as I settle in to solve.

    I did have to assess a technical foul on the three UPs. It felt as though our constructor might have been approaching the finish line and took the easy finish rather than fixing the hiccup. Overall though, this was just about a perfect Saturday.

    Finally, I express my heartfelt thanks to the neighborhood for the over the top enjoyment your thoughts brought today. Quality comments, exceptional humor with off the charts creativity. What a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete