Relative difficulty: Very easy
![]() |
| [31D: "Light" Jedi weapons] [55A: ___-Wan Kenobi] |
Theme answers:
- P.R. DISASTER (17A: Cringey ad campaign going viral, for example)
- J.R. EWING (26A: Character at the heart of the "Who shot...?" cliffhanger of 1980s TV)
- V.R. HEADSEAT (30A: Oculus Rift or Meta Quest 3)
- E.R. DOCTORS (47A: Many characters on "The Pitt")
- QR CODES (52A: Scannable squares often used in place of paper menus)
- H.R. PUFNSTUF (64A: Puppet dragon of 1960s kids' TV)
H.R. Pufnstuf is an American children's television series created by Sid and Marty Krofft. It was the first independent live-action, life-sized-puppet program, following on from their work with Hanna-Barbera's program The Banana Splits Adventure Hour. The seventeen episodes were originally broadcast Saturday from September 6, 1969, to December 27, 1969. The broadcasts were successful enough that NBC kept it on the schedule as reruns until September 4, 1971. The show was shot at Paramount Studios and its opening was shot at Big Bear Lake, California. Reruns returned on ABC Saturday morning from September 2, 1972, to September 8, 1973, and on Sunday mornings in some markets from September 16, 1973, to September 8, 1974. It was syndicated by itself from September 1974 to June 1978 and in a package with six other Krofft series under the banner Krofft Superstars from 1978 to 1985. Reruns of the show were featured on TV Land in 1999 as part of its Super Retrovision Saturdaze Saturday morning-related overnight prime programming block and in the summer of 2004 as part of its TV Land Kitschen weekend late-night prime programming block, and it was later shown on MeTV from 2014 until 2016.
In 2004 and 2007, H.R. Pufnstuf was ranked No. 22 and No. 27 respectively on TV Guide's Top Cult Shows Ever.
Fast food chain McDonald's later emulated aspects of the series for its long-running advertising campaign "McDonaldland", and the company was successfully sued by the Krofft brothers in 1977 for copyright infringement. (wikipedia)
• • •
[Apparently there was also a film, released in San Antonio (?!!?) in 1970 but otherwise not seen until it came out on DVD in 2009!: "The biggest musical fantasy since The Wizard of Oz" lol]
- 4D: Ultimate ___ (team sport) (FRISBEE) — I thought it was just called "ultimate" now. Yes, "officially simply called 'ultimate'" (wikipedia).
- 55A: ___-Wan Kenobi (OBI) — you've already got a Star Wars answer in this grid (SABERS), so just make this the kimono sash, why don't you? It's not like a partial name is good fill, so you may as well add a tad more range to the cluing.
- 24A: Clic Stic and Wite-Out brand (BIC) — every time I look at "Clic Stic" I misread that first "word," badly, such that the name sounds like a sex toy. "Wite-Out," despite also being wackily misspelled, causes no such problem.
That's all. See you next time.
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
✏️Upcoming Crossword Events✏️:
- NEW! Words Are For Crossing—a WFMU Crossword Meet-Up (a WFMU fundraiser) (Jersey City, NJ, Thur., Sep. 17, 2026)
- Midwest Crossword Tournament (Chicago, IL, Sat., Oct. 3, 2026)
π My other blog π:
- Pop Sensation (vintage paperbacks)






ReplyDeleteToo Easy. If this puzzle had run on a Monday it would still be too easy.
* * _ _ _
No overwrites, no WOEs.
It was easy no doubt - we’ve seen these letter pattern themes before - this one’s cute and works fine. I like the lack of a revealer - HR PUFNSTUF is wonderfully nostalgic but do better with DISASTER - HEADSET and DOCTORS.
ReplyDeleteBlue RODEO
Rex summarizes the overall fill well - the 16 tall grid is a little uncomfortable at first but ends up being fill in the blanks easy. SCHOLARS, SABERS, TRIPS UP stand out. @Z would not care for the FRISBEE inclusion. There was no pushback in this grid - clean and smooth.
My girl is RED HOT
Pleasant enough Tuesday morning solve.
Wake up to find out
Almost as easy as yesterday, which was one of the easiest Monday puzzles I can remember and gave me a personal best time. Although I’m old, I was completely unaware of the existence of HRPUFNSTUF, but it was easy to infer from crosses.
ReplyDeleteSo boring. Even though I’ve never heard of the dragon.
ReplyDeleteAgree this was easy but also enjoyable because it was so lacking in crosswordese. I had no problem coming up with HRPUFNSTUF even tho I’m of a generation that never saw or heard of it. On the other hand (OTOH!) I had a hard time before switching from ARiPA to AREPa, and from FRISBiE to FRISBEE. Gotta bone up on my Latino recipes.
ReplyDeleteWhat made me smile the most is a memorable serendipity – the quartet of food-based almost-famous names: AREPA Franklin, SPUDS Terkel, TAFFY Duck, and PEAR Bryant.
ReplyDeleteThx, didn't notice that.
DeleteSo easy that I didn't even notice there was a theme. At least I set a personal best Tuesday time.
ReplyDeleteIt's a Tuesday, all right. Some stuff I have not thought about in years here ... HR PUFNSTUF, RED HOTs JR EWING. I wonder if @Z will make an appearance to complain about the clue for FRISBEE. Probably not, since Rex has already made the point.
ReplyDeleteI really, really wanted TOP up where TOP OFF went. And of course SABreS for SABERS. My midlantic background again.
Hey All !
ReplyDeleteJeez, every time @pablo takes a step forward in the gaining points department, along gones a ROO and sets him right back.
Interesting idea, 16 Long grid. Was gonna ask why, but Rex surmises well that the extra row loosens up the fill, with having six Themers in. The Blocker count is 42. Take away the 6 Cheater Squares and you have a respectable 36 (especially for an oversized grid.)
Stupendously easy today (@Gary π). This most definitely should've been a MonPuz. Just set my personal record today for a TuesPuz at 6:14.
Always thought the TV show was HR PuffNStuff. Before my TV watching time, only one F looks odd.
Never knew there were so many _R things out there, so that was fun to see. Fill decent. Overall good puz.
Hope y'all have a great Tuesday!
Five F's
RooMonster
DarrinV
Well that didn't take long.
DeleteThis is right in Nate Cardin’s bailiwick, as eight of his nine Times puzzles are Mondays or Tuesdays, and five of those eight employ English-language-quirk themes. Nate’s got good EYES for these.
ReplyDeleteIt’s a tight theme – no alternative answers yet in the comments – and props to Nate for finding six answers with the right letter counts to fit grid symmetry.
It’s also a clean grid, and we get an extra row for no extra cost. In addition, the theme answers are colorful, and there are lovely non-theme answers as well – OK THEN, JOTTED, TOP OFF, TRIPS UP – to brighten the grid.
Clever and fun. A sprightly way to kick off the day. Thank you for making this, Nate!
I'm too old for HRPUFNSTUF, I was in my early 30s by then and no longer watching kids' TV (it returned in the late 70s, when my kids started watching it). The only TV puppet dragon I knew was Ollie, whom I always confuse with his pal Kukla, and neither of those came close to fitting. I reasoned out the PUF'N STUF part, but wanted it to be mR, until I finally remembered the candy. OK THEN, so much for that.
ReplyDeleteThis past Sunday seemed like it was easier than normal as well, so it’s a three day mini-streak going here. These are getting a little too easy, even for my tastes. It’s a small sample size, but the current direction is consistent with recent trends.
ReplyDeleteIt will be interesting to see what we get come Thursday. I’m wondering if we will kick into “feast or famine” mode and have one of those super-convoluted gimmick/stunt-puzzles to “re-align” the difficulty levels. Maybe a tribute to waterfalls with answers falling off a cliff downward - or perhaps an anti-gravity puzzles with answers floating all over the grid. Hopefully they will wait until Thursday for that and we will have another “traditional” offering tomorrow.
I tried shaving with a BIC razor once but got ink all over my face.
ReplyDeleteThe staff at "Salads R Us" went on strike. They were demanding an increase in CELERY.
The manicurist knew it was time to retire when she started suffering EMERY loss.
Nice!
DeleteAmiga marsupial de Piglet y Poo.
ReplyDeleteA new Tuesday speed record. Cue the Rocky theme music. It's interesting nobody on Earth cares how easy or difficult a puzzle is to you, and yet thanks to π¦, we have a place to obsess about it every single day.
Speaking of things I am positive you're obsessing over, it rained here in Albuquerque yesterday. Maybe a half inch, and the first rain this year I think, AND we didn't soar into the 90s for the first time in months so it's official sweater weather with our chilly 80s and epic downpours going crazy.
I too grew up watching 70s reruns -- loved HR Pufnstuf -- and it's probably why I watch shows over and over to this day. My wife is always searching for a our next series, but I keep going back to what is comfortable. I'm rewatching Taxi right now. It's aging poorly and I hate how one-dimensional Danny DeVito's character is, but it made him famous.
And speaking of TV and SCARE, I was watching football on Sunday and there was an ad for the horror movie "Other Mommy," so I watched the trailer and it scared the bejeezus out of me. Check it out -- if you dare. Rule of thumb, if I can't stand the horror movie's trailer, probably best if I don't go to the show.
❤️ "Lose the 'tude, dude."
Gunkometer--
People: 5
Places: 3
Products: 12 {way out of balance brah}
Partials: 3
Foreignisms: 1
--
Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 24 of 81 (30%)
Funny Factor: 3 π
π₯ Ooh-la-la! π₯ ERECT.
Uniclues:
1 A Mr. Policeman muppet.
2 She's dating Darrin? Hmm.
3 Yeah, I saw it.
4 Go fast festival.
5 Chips off the old block eating chips.
6 Disk doctors.
7 How you bomb the enemy with vegetables.
8 A series of poor decisions allowing men to go without shirts, but not women.
1 SCARE LAIR DOLL
2 SEES ROO? OK THEN.
3 ERECT ER DOCTORS
4 HURRY PARTY
5 SONS TEST SPUD
6 FRISBEE SCHOLARS
7 NATO CELERY APPS
8 TOP OFF ERRORS (~)
My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Tonight you celebrate your sanguinity / You might even discard your virginity / When you're done with fun / think of mutual funds / Our brokerage will make your infinity. E*TRADE PROM ODE.
¯\_(γ)_/¯
Had a feeling you'd do something with TOPOFF. I was thinking along the lines of a Cowboys fan getting ejected for yelling that at a cheerleader. But it didn't meet my obviously very low standards.
DeleteThat's a good rule on horror movies. Books are scary too. We were camping while I was reading Red Dragon and I wouldn't walk alone to the bath house after dark.
The dumbing down of the NYT crossword is becoming embarrassing. Not simply the difficulty but the ironing out of any personality in the constructors clues. I’m sure the data tells them otherwise but it is a real turn off.
ReplyDeleteI really don't get the clue for PR Disaster at all. A cringey ad campaign going viral is a great PR outcome for the company that put out the ad. Is the "cringey" part of the clue supposed to be doing any work? Pretty much all ad campaigns are cringey, who cares. Who is it supposed to be a disaster for? I think they should have just used a different clue for that one.
ReplyDeleteLiked it a lot more than Rex, though we solved as a (sans revealer) themeless and yes, extremely easy. A bit odd having QTIPS in the puzzle (with all the other double consonant beginning words) but not as one of the theme answers. We had Q_IPS and blindly filled in QuIPS before reading the clue for 52D; fixed that quickly enough.
ReplyDeleteRemarkably low on junk (e.g., only ten 3-letter words) for a puzzle loaded with six themers. Could have used one fewer Star Wars reference, as Rex demonstrated.
Read the entire Wikipedia link "sued by the Krofft brothers" (WOTD), which took more time than solving the puzzle. When we read that the Kroffts were awarded $50,000 for successfully proving that McDonald's pirated their character, we thought "well, guess $50K went a lot further back then". But (spoiler alert) the appeal, and remand, adjusted that. Interesting read, if into the legal weeds. Wonder whether there were any EDIT WARS (a thing?) in writing this Wikipedia article.
Uh oh! I thought this was a clever Tuesday and enjoyed those second letter R's in addition to the theme answers. Thank you Nate.
ReplyDeleteSolved slowly on the phone. I hate solving on the phone but needs must. Nice straightforward puzzle, sweet theme.
ReplyDeleteSecond straight 3:03 Tuesday, which happens to be my record. Hoping the rest of the week has a little more bite.
ReplyDeleteMrs. Egs was once an OR NURSE. Man could she scrub in! Kinda like TR Dunn on the Trailblazers. Played a lotta scrub time. And BTW, who is this guy ARCADE sneaking in at 18D. And ERECT at 45A? Who the heck is ECT?
ReplyDeleteHere's how you EDITWARS. Just declare complete and total victory once a week as gas and diesel prices continue to rise.
OOPS! I Shoulda told you I'm back from China. 5 days in the hospital for a lacunar stroke made for a different view of the country, but they do have a good medical system. All 11 of my ward-mates agree (or they may have been telling me to order enough food for them. Mandarin is difficult). Anyway, I'm back with even less brain power than before (!!!), so tell me if I should take some more time off. Thanks for the easy one, Nate Cardin.
Yikes! Glad you're OK.
Delete@egsforbreakfast 9:10 AM
DeleteI thought we told you to stop infarcting in other countries. Glad you're back. And FYI, E.R. Ect is a good friend of mine. I've known him for a long time. I'll introduce him to you if you want.
I’m sorry to read about your lacunar stroke. If you made it home from China i imagine you’ve shown some improvement. I hope you’re feeling better and are on the mend!
DeleteHoly cow! Glad you’re ok. ❤️
DeleteSorry, that ⬆️ was me π
DeleteWelcome back egs! We missed you. No more medical stuff please!
DeleteAgree with the 'easy' rating—I tied my best time for Tuesday (and if they weren't cutting down a huge tree next door and feeding large limbs through the Fargo-type chipper, I probably would have broken my record). I also lost a second or two chuckling when I hit the second Star Wars clue as I anticipated Rex's reaction (and, as if on cue, Rex mirrored my thought of 'why not clue the OBI as 'Japanese sash' since there's already a Star Wars clue?'! Rex, I knew I could count on you!).
ReplyDeleteI was going so fast I had no idea so many answers had second-syllable Rs until I came here!
H.R. Pufnstuf - it's shocking how much time I spent watching TV as a kid and none of it stuck. What a waste of time! I just watched an online snippet of that show - I remembered the theme song almost perfectly but what H.R. looked like or the basic premise - gone, poof, from my brain.
ReplyDeleteIn my 20's, I watched almost no TV except PBS. One visit back to my home town, I was talking with my mom and brother and my brother said, "It's like 'Who shot JR?'" I looked at them both nodding and demanded to know what on earth they were talking about. Oh, a TV show I had never seen.
Although the theme only gave away one letter for certain in each theme answer, it seemed to make the puzzle really easy for a Tuesday. Thanks, Nate Cardin
Light early week puzzle, ideally a Monday but works on Tuesday I guess. HRPUFNSTUF provided a boomer moment as a bonus!
ReplyDeleteWhy did anyone even complete this puzzle? It would be like doing your second graders homework for fun
ReplyDeleteYep, very easy and the theme was obvious early on. Have never used a VRHEADSET and didn't know the BIC product names but everything else was pretty much fill in the blanks stuffl Even knew the saying about EYES. Side eye to EDITWARS and backed into HRPUFNSTUF so had OFL's reaction to STUF.
ReplyDeleteHarmless enough Tuesdecito , NC. Nice Concept and yPou made a lot of speed solvers happy. Thanks for some fun at least.
@dgd from last night--Interesting to be referred to as "Pedroinnh". I had an older brother named Peter and I was called Peter often in school as we were only two years apart. He eventually moved to NH so there was for some time a Pedroinnh too but he died in March. It seems this confusion will never go away.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteToo boring, too easy, no second level. Don’t understand why this was published.
ReplyDelete"Clever and fun"? C'mon, Lewis. It was a total dud.
ReplyDeleteLove how this light hearted puzzle produced so many light hearted responses. Even the thumbs downers felt like mild smirks.
ReplyDeleteWow. When I played that trailer just now, my husband leaned over and said, "Oh yeah! I saw the Pufnstuf movie in a theater in Fort Worth in 1970." He was about 5. This is a layer of his character that is surprising but perhaps explains a lot. π
ReplyDeleteI don't rush through puzzles; I like to sip my coffee now and then...but even so, I finished this in 7:26, which was 13 seconds faster than yesterday's puzzle. I didn't even notice the theme until reading Rex's column, and it seems pretty boring. Am I becoming jaded? Oh I hope not. I look forward to the daily puzzle but I feel my enthusiasm waning.
ReplyDeleteOne of the easiest NYTXWs I've ever done, and I'm including Mondays.
ReplyDelete