Monday, September 14, 2026

Female red deer / MON 9-14-26 / Crew building / Informal hoops game / Ancient Celtic priest / All-out boxing match / Dale who sang "Happy Trails" with Roy Rogers / Beatles song with the lyric "She promises the earth to me" / Disney's Ariel and her sisters

Constructor: Andrea Carla Michaels and Dena R. Verkuil

Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium (solved Downs-only)

THEME: GO BANANAS (61A: Flip out ... or a hint to the beginnings of 17-, 27-, 39- and 51-Across) — first words of theme answers can follow "banana" in a familiar phrase:

Theme answers:
  • BOATHOUSE (17A: Crew building)
  • BREAD BOX (27A: "Is it bigger than a ___?")
  • SPLIT DECISION (39A: Close boxing match outcome)
  • SLUGFEST (51A: All-out boxing match)
Word of the Day: "GIRL" (32A: Beatles song with the lyric "She promises the earth to me") —

 

"Girl" is a song by the English rock band the Beatles from their 1965 album Rubber Soul. It was written by John Lennon and credited to Lennon–McCartney. "Girl" was the last complete song recorded for that album. "Girl" is considered to be one of the most melancholic and complex of the Beatles' love songs. [...] In early 1966, "Girl" was issued as the B-side of "Michelle" in several European countries, reaching number one in Finland. It was also released as the A-side of a single in Italy, backed by "Nowhere Man", which reached number seven on the nation's Musica e Dischi singles chart.

• • •

A very straightforward and old-fashioned theme with a mildly kooky revealer. I liked it fine. It's a little too heavy on the short stuff—so lots of nooks/crannies, lots of 3-4-5s, but there are also a bevy of long Downs to brighten up the grid, so ... things balance out a bit. The long Downs were the most challenging part of the grid, from a Downs-only solving perspective. Actually, a few of them were gimmes (I BEFORE E, MERMAIDS), but STEP COUNTER took me some time because I (stupidly) guessed CAMINO instead of CASINO—I mean, of course it's CASINO, why would it be CAMINO, that's so much less likely!? The toughest of the long Downs to get (with very little help from inferred crosses) was "I'LL START" (41D: "Let me go first!"). As you can see by the cursor placement in the grid printout above, "I'LL START" is the very last thing I got.  The "I" and the "S" and the "A" were the only things I knew for sure, and I kept wanting it to start "I'M" or "IT'S." Finally realized the only thing SHE- was likely to be was SHEL. SHEL helped me see "I'LL" as a possible opening, and from there "I'LL START" seemed obvious. My only other issues were minor. Wrote in ELKS instead of GNUS at first for 6D: African antelopes—again, a truly bad guess. That clue on HIND is a toughie (18D: Female red deer). I know the term from 17c. poetry, but yikes, you'd think on Monday you'd just go with [Rear] or [Posterior] or [___ legs] or something like that. In fact, that's what every constructor has done with HIND since 2005. This is only the third HIND-as-female-deer clue in the entire Shortz Era (and both the others were on Sundays). Bizarre choice. But the puzzle is still Monday-easy overall, so why not go with a deep cut for HIND, I guess.


Speaking of deep cuts ... I know this will come as a surprise to Baby Boomers, but not everybody knows every word to every Beatles song ever (anymore?). I never saw the clue on "GIRL" because I solve Downs-only, but if I had, I'd've been baffled. I know the song, it turns out, from years of classic rock radio-listening as a teenager, but that lyric, yeesh—it does nothing. "GIRL" was not even released as a single in the U.S.—it was the B-side of "Michelle," which I just learned was also not released as a single in the U.S. (!?!?!?!?!?!), which seems impossible, since it's iconic—also, it won the Grammy Award for Song of the Year in 1967. But nope, not a single in the U.S. So "GIRL" was a B-side to a single released only in various European countries (not the UK!?) and New Zealand. If you had to name two dozen Beatles songs, you would not name "GIRL." No, shh, you would not, please stop. As with HIND, the clue on "GIRL" today is baffling. More baffling. But as with HIND, the crosses are all fair, and easy, so ... whatever.


Bullets:
  • 47D: To be, in Barcelona (SER) — Spanish words have been a mainstay of U.S. crosswords for a while now, but ... how many is too many? I'm gonna say four (4!) is too many (SER, ISLA, ENERO, SI SI). If I left one out,  that means there are more than four (4!), which would still be too many. More so. 
  • 34D: Word hidden, aptly, in "teen's language" (SLANG) — from relatively obscure deer terminology and minor Beatles B-sides to this—child's placemat-level gimmes. Boo. Also, if you really want your puzzle to seem old, make a quaint joke about "teen's language"
  • 51D: Animal that sleeps upside down (SLOTH) — wanted KOALA. Actually wanted BAT but as you can see, doesn't fit. Doesn't a SLOTH do everything upside down? "[T]ree sloths spend most of their lives hanging upside down" (wikipedia). Let's  see if this is true ... yep, checks out.
  • 51A: All-out boxing match (SLUGFEST) — it's a minor thing, but I think it would've been better to take this clue away from "boxing" specifically, since the preceding themer is already using "boxing match." A high-scoring baseball game is often called a SLUGFEST, you could go that direction.
That's all for today. See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[all proceeds go to WFMU, the best listener-supported radio in the whole dang world]

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Events✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

54 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:03 AM

    Whooshed through downs only. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous monday puzzle what's the beef? I tasted a banana split

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn’t try downs only but also sped through this one and enjoyed the ride. Great to see ACME again. She has a knack for making the simple come to life. And learned something—don’t recall coming across the BANANA SLUG before in my gardening adventures, just a lot of those gray ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My five favorite original clues from last week
    (in order of appearance):

    1. Pipe organ? (4)
    2. Completely savage (3)
    3. Expert in worldwide fulfillment and distribution operations? (5)
    4. First full word sung in "The Alphabet Song" (3)
    5. Personal circumstances, so to speak (5)


    LUNG
    PAN
    SANTA
    AND
    SHOES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite encore clues from last week:

      [Jabbers on a plane?] (6)
      [Flute section] (4)


      ELBOWS
      STEM

      Delete
  5. Andy Freude6:55 AM

    Here’s an example of how a few colorful answers can make an easy puzzle really pop. A few minutes of breezy fun to start my Monday on a happy note. Thanks, Andrea and Dena (and Rex, as always)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun early-week theme and well filled for the most part. The revealer is neat and works fine. SLUG FEST shines.

    Another Girl Another Planet

    LATE BLOOMER and MERMAIDS are fantastic - STEP COUNTER maybe a little too mundane. I BEFORE E, EGO BOOST, ILL START - all really solid. Rex summarizes a few of the shorts that are lacking but I’m good.

    Winners CASINO

    Enjoyable Monday morning solve.

    Robert DeNiro’s Waiting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Milwaukee Talkie7:07 AM

    My primary goal in coming here is to learn different solving techniques. For example, at first I didn't want to attempt "downs only", but it turns out to be fun and occasionally challenging. Now I'm hooked on Mondays.

    I once asked about how people start any puzzle. Someone said "Go through and try the fill-in-the-blanks first because they are easy to see and answer." Again, I almost always do that now.

    Question: Does anyone else work from the bottom and right and go up and left? Not sure why, but Rex always goes top-to-bottom and left-to-right, so I sometimes try that, but always return to bottom-to-top. I think it works better for me because on the bottom and right edges the ENDS of the words (which I find are frequently easier to infer that the beginnings) line up, making the crossing words easier to see. I was just curious if anyone else does that, or am I alone?

    One advantage of top-to-bottom is you usually avoid the revealer until the end... but I just skip it when I see it if I'm not ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't solve bottom-right-first in general, but if I'm really having trouble with a puzzle, I frequently jump to the final down clue out of desperation, and it often helps get me going.

      Delete
    2. David Grenier8:41 AM

      I do an across pass (by number) and a down pass (by number) where I fill in only things I am sure of in a “one and only one” correct answer sort of way. Depending on the day this gives me a whole scaffolding or a couple words to build off of. It doesn’t work so much on Mon-Tue anymore because usually after the first pass the puzzle is over half complete, but that’s fine.

      Sometimes I just try to start building off the first word I place and see how far I can go doing that.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous10:57 AM

      When I first started 20 yrs ago and struggled everyday I would do blanks, short answers (3s and 4s) then build off that. When I got stuck I'd read all the crosses (always surprising how often I'd find a clue I hadn't read) and all the downs. Rinse and repeat.

      Delete
    4. Anonymous11:13 AM

      I can sometimes fill a puzzle in what I refer to as either "window shade" or "sliding door" fashion, i.e. the whole way across every row or down every column. It helps if there is a long across or down in the center. The other day it went counter clockwise from the mid "west" to SW to SE to NE to end in NW.

      Delete
  8. Downs only. Easy, even for a Monday. Like Rex, I put in CAmINO before CASINO. Like Rex, I finished on ILL START. Unlike Rex, I put in HIND and SLOTH right away. I always associate HIND with Francis Drake's Golden Hind.

    This is a theme type that I think makes for good puzzles, but that seems out of fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spark lights up a puzzle, and today, not only did the theme answers have it, but it also popped up among the non-themers – MELEE, SNARKY, EGO BOOST, and LATE BLOOMER.

    My brain worked hard trying to figure out, before uncovering the revealer, what the theme answers had in common. Oh, I failed, but loved the effort.

    Strong faunal presence today, with GNAT, OTTER, SLOTH, HORSE, EWES, STEER, HIND, and SLUG. Lovely cross of GIRL and MAID. And given the two constructors with schwa-ending names, ‘twas a lovely serendipity to find DORA, ORA, and EVA in the box.

    So, more than just a flash-sweep through a Monday grid, but rather a potpourri of pleasure. Thank you, Andrea and Dena!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey All !
    We got a Robyn Friday, and an ACME Monday. One of us must've done something right in their life! (Wasn't me ...)

    CREAM PIE TO THE FACE could've been another Themer. Although it's 17 letters.
    REPUBLIC PARTY, maybe

    Enjoyable MonPuz. A couple of tougher spots, so not just an auto-fill puz, which is nice.

    YesterComments,
    @pablo! Dang, I was going to mention in my post one big point for an actual PABLO sighting, and I forgot! Silly memory. I do remember being happy to see it, saying to myself, "Wow! I'll mention that!". But, with my sieve of a short term memory, it just went away.
    Anyway, you're now at 4 points, with myself at 8. Chopping away!

    Time for me to (BANANA) SPLIT. Hope y'all have a great Monday!

    No F's - ZERO, three days in a row. Now you see why I champion for the oft left out F. 😁
    RooMonster
    DarrinV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:31 AM

      Are you not including Sunday? Because there was one F on Sunday.

      Delete
    2. No harm done. I was just happy to see the rare PABLO as opposed to the common ROO.

      Delete
  11. I really enjoyed this puzzle. Easy but fun clues, great theme, and a trip down memory lane with "Is it bigger than a BREADBOX?" The Wordplay column says that question comes from the game show "What's My Line?" but it's a standard early question in "Twenty Questions." I don't think people play that any more, sadly.

    By the way, if you know where I can buy a breadbox currently, please clue me in.

    I did share Rex's view that there were too many Spanish entries -- and I wasn't even counting SER. DORA doesn't count, though, she's clued in English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were at IKEA (one of crossword’s favorite stores) and they had wooden breadboxes.

      Delete
  12. The little bit of difficulty I encountered today was mostly the foreign stuff, and DRUID. It seems like it’s getting to the point where there are more “names” for types of religious people than there are actual religious people (yes, of course that is a gross exaggeration in real life - it sure seems to be the case in CrossWorld though).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:35 AM

      The Druids were most prominent around two thousand years ago and the term is still very relevant to this day.

      I never saw this clue (I don’t solve downs only), but what else could “ancient Celtic priest” be?

      Delete
  13. This was a mostly easy downs-only solve, and I picked up on the bananas theme fairly early. Couldn’t quite complete it downs-only, as I got stuck with elks and oil for 6 and 7 down, and ultimately had to look at those across clues.

    Of course everyone knows the lyrics to every single Beatles song.

    Thanks, Acme!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wasn't able to finish the Sunday puzzle until this morning. It took quite a beating from Rex and the comments but I liked it a lot. Would love to know Lewis's opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:33 AM

      I hope he talks about Sunday on the Sunday page! (Some of us haven't done it yet)

      Delete
  15. Downs only, fairly easy. Made a bad mistake with aVA, not EVA which held up the NE, so once corrected, I finished on LATEBLOOMER, which was apt for me today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. David Grenier8:36 AM

    On a trickier day someone needs to clue SLUG FEST as “Garden Party?”

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice wooshy Monday puzzle with some fun Boomer-era answers (BREADBOX, I BEFORE E). As a late Boomer myself, I know the lyrics to GIRL.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Area at the zoo for playful aquatic mammals: OTTER space.

    Sadly, in his later years, Silverstein was a mere SHEL of his former self.

    Directive to constructors to keep de Armas out of their puzzles: GOBANANAS

    First half of the alphabet: ATOM

    After his wife threatened to leave if he didn't get his African antelopes out of the apartment, Ralph managed to find decent homes for each of them. No GNUS is good news.

    Frank learned all about the different types of peas: black-eyed peas, chickpeas, pigeon peas, et al. Then, for his soup, he made a SPLIT DECISION.

    https://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/the-re-giving-tree-a-tree-offers-a-child-jason-adam-katzenstein.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tepid. Dull. I don’t know anymore. A long run of dumbing down of the puzzle, making clues generic, it doesn’t matter but moving the crossword down in the app? At some point if the NYT doesn’t care about the crossword why should we?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous9:12 AM

    Banana slug?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:09 AM

      You my friend have never seen Pulp Fiction or been to Santa Cruz. I’m guessing.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:11 AM

      Take a hike in the Pacific Northwest and you’ll see dozens!

      Delete
    3. DAVinHOP10:38 AM

      BANANA SLUG is the mascot of the athletic teams of UCal Santa Cruz; wasn't this in another puzzle recently?

      Delete
    4. Anonymous11:04 AM

      I'm headed to the Hoh Rainforest on the Olympic Peninsula tomorrow, which is full of them. They are common on the west coast from San Fran north. They are remarkable.

      Delete
  21. New PR today 2:39
    Probably a good thing Rex solved downs only.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I liked this puzzle a lot but imagine that new solvers might not find it very "Mondayish," with the slightly tricky "Crew building" clue for BOATHOUSE, and with words like HIND, ENERO, DRUID, SER. Those younger than I might also have toruble with Dale EVANS.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous9:29 AM

    Solving Downs-only was straightforward today. Getting the theme without looking at any Across clues... not so much. That's because SPLIT DECISION looked the most revealer-like out of all the long Acrosses, and "split" themes are an early-week staple, but I couldn't see any words for "decision" split by black squares. Once I looked at the clue and saw that it wasn't actually a revealer, the theme was obvious to see.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know Rex hates [Word hidden...] clues, but my 16-year old son came home last night, asked me whether I'd done the Monday, and said how funny he'd found that clue. So it didn't feel that old to him.

    I strongly suspect that this is a puzzle that plays better with the casual solver than the crossword cognoscenti. Which seems like a feature rather than a bug on a Monday!.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous9:57 AM

    Now that everyone knows what Scorigami is, know that there were two of them yesterday- which is notable because of their rarity.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Simple Monday. Only overwrites go berzerk before go bonkers before go bananas.
    What the hell is a banana slug btw?

    ReplyDelete
  27. As a baby boomer well-steeped in Beatles tunes, I certainly know the song "GIRL" but got the answer from the GI, not the clue. There are a few Beatles albums I know less thoroughly than others (Help) and it wasn't long ago that I heard a Beatles song I hadn't heard before (and no, it wasn't that horrible mish-mash they recently made from some old demo tape and called it "new") and found that I had missed one album in my collection. I own it now!

    I enjoyed seeing the different things you can GO BANANAS over. Thanks, Acme and Dena!

    ReplyDelete
  28. In a hurry to finish this AM before a Dr's appt. so I didn't spend time looking for the theme and was sorry not to have done that because it would have been a satisfying find. I'm in the "liked it a lot" crowd, all the Spanish was a gift and of course there was an OTTER, so smiles everywhere.

    Today's song notes: Dale Evans actually wrote "Happy Trails", which is a nice little song and musically interesting. "Girl" is the only song on which The Beatles admit to being a little bit naughty, as in the background they are singing "tit tit tit tit". Those rascals.

    Like others in my generation, liked seeing BREADBOX and wondering if the younger folks have ever run into this one. Memory lane here.

    Very above-average puzz today, ACM and DRV. A Classic Monday and a Delightfully Reminiscent Visit to some things from my younger days. Thanks for all the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I loved everything about this one! We have a clever theme with a revealer that's a fun phrase and does it's job well. And all this with so much good fill!

    For me, every themer sparkled and popped and they're accompanied by some equally lovely non-themers. EGOBOOST, LATEBLOOMER, STEPCOUNTER, and ILLSTART all shine very brightly. What's not to like here??

    Much of anything that I would have had problems with, like HIND as clued, was already filled in with the crosses so no hold-ups for me today, still an across/down Monday solver. GIRL was a gimme as I'm kind of a Beatles maven (when it comes to lyrics) but I did *not* know the the history of the song's release - thank you @Rex for that cool nugget!

    I like how SAGEs and SALT cross and like @Lewis, I noticed MAID crossing GIRL, nice stuff. RIBS directly to the left and one row above BREADBOX also makes some whacky sense to me.

    What a great way to start the work week! Thank you, Andrea and Dena, this was a joy of a Monday!

    And now Hugh's Monday Haiku:
    A SLUGFEST may end
    With a JAB to the BREADBOX
    THERE LIES the NEW champ

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous10:43 AM

    Agree 100% about the number of Spanish words (or words in any foreign language). These should be limited to one well-known foreign word per puzzle. And since most people in this country learned just one foreign language, often just in high school, the languages should be Spanish or French. There shouldn’t be words in Japanese, for instance; words in languages like Russian or German should be limited to ones encountered from time to time in news stories and elsewhere that have made them quite familiar, such as “nyet” and “nein.” There also shouldn’t be whole sentences, even short ones, in any foreign language, as appeared in a crossword not too long ago in French.

    ReplyDelete

  31. Easy. No WOEs and Hart before HIND was it for erasures.

    No junk, a sparkly theme that I did not see coming, fun long downs…i.e. typical Andrea Monday puzzle. Liked it a bunch.


    Croce Solvers - Croce’s Freestyle #1147 was a medium Croce for me or around 1.5X a Saturday NYT from the good old days. The bottom half was a tad easier than the top. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  32. DAVinHOP10:53 AM

    Another Downs only solve here, although we didn't see the theme until done. The theme answers were inferable phrases with enough crosses in place.

    Had Hart and Koala before HIND and SLOTH. Need to take a remedial animal identification class. Quite a few longs, mostly interesting at that, for a Monday. Loved LATE BLOOMER (a possible title for my never-to-be-written autobiography). I BEFORE E was indeed a lovely Downs only gimme; maybe on Friday it might have been clued "Start of a spelling rule". Enjoyable Monday puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous11:08 AM

    You did miscount the Spanish -- SISI is two words!

    ReplyDelete
  34. A fun, easy Monday. Kept thinking "I gotta beat my Monday PB." I think I did. Thank you, Carla & Dena :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Solved this downs only, got stuck around ILLSTART just like OFL.... Figured it would be SHED at 43a, and "I'd like to" or something made sense.... So that took a while to figure out. Lots of fun long downs that weren't too bad. Liked STEPCOUNTER and LATEBLOOMER. Thanks, ACM and Dena!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous11:32 AM

    Naticked on Monday by SER and ORA. Bad omen…

    ReplyDelete
  37. A treat of a Monday, with a theme that kept me in the dark until the witty reveal and that fine array of long Downs. BREADBOX brought me right back to the days of black-and-white TV and all of us gathered in the living room to watch "What's My Line." I also liked the BLOOMER GIRL cross.

    ReplyDelete
  38. As an adoring fan girl who grew up to the Beatles, I love listening to the Beatles channel on satellite radio - I still hear songs I'm completely unfamiliar with!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous12:07 PM

    To jberg, the Vermont Country Store sells real, " old fashioned" type breadboxes, I think

    ReplyDelete