Relative difficulty: Medium
Word of the Day: ANA Huang (21A: Romance author Huang) —
Ana Huang is a Chinese-American author who primarily writes novels in the romance and new adult fiction genres. She is a #1 New York Times and USA Today bestselling author. [...] After 2019, during the COVID-19 pandemic, Huang began writing and self-publishing novels, and promoting them on TikTok. Her Twisted series went viral, and was republished by Bloom Books in 2022. [...] In 2023, her novel King of Greed reached #1 on the Paperback Trade Fiction section of The New York Times Best Seller list. King of Sloth was a #1 New York Times Best Seller, and reached #1 on the USA Today Booklist. Twisted Love stayed on the Paperback Trade Fiction section of The New York Times Best Seller list for 61 weeks. // In 2024, Huang, with 1,474,194 print copies sold, is the fourth highest selling BookTok author. (wikipedia)
• • •
I was also a little put off by the name blitz up top (ANA CHENG EWING BAIN BIORE etc.) but the names dissipated in the lower half of the grid, so the overall experience of hacking through said names (the ones I didn't know) wasn't So bad. I knew some of the names (The PITT, August WILSON, Patrick EWING, BAIN Capital (another depresso-answer to go with the A.I. DOCTOR) (27A: ___ Capital, investment firm co-founded by Mitt Romney). But those pore strips, ugh. I had like six different letter combinations before I finally got to BIORE (14A: Skin-care brand known for its pore strips). BIERO? I think that was one of them. No way I am going to know a Chinese character's meaning, so CHENG could've been "any Chinese name." ANA Huang writes about as far away from where I read as possible (see "Word of the Day," above). I've read and enjoyed a romance novel or two in my time, but "New Adult Fiction" and "BookTok" are alien territory to me (perhaps brought down to earth on some kind of ALIEN SHIP, which is also kind of an alien term to me—isn't it just SPACE SHIP?). The fact that they have subdivided younger readers even further in order to create new markets. "New Adult"? "The genre originally faced criticism as a marketing scheme." Yeah, I bet it did. I guess "new adult fiction" is like YA fiction but the protagonist is 18-29?? So it's still written at an 8th-grade reading level but with a grown-up-ish character? Look, as I told my daughter when she was in her "dystopian scifi/fantasy teen trilogy" phase, if you're reading, you're reading, and I'm happy. But ... maybe some day think about leaving the algorithmically-created rut you've been channeled into by your corporate overlords? Some day? Just think about it. Meanwhile, for all I know ANA Huang is a fantastic writer and I'm missing out by being a grumpy old man. Very, very possible.
The marquee stuff was a little on the tepid side today. It's a lovely center stack, but it's not exactly crackling. More just ... pleasant. SOCIAL LADDER, TENNIS LESSON, PATIO HEATERS (whatever those are ...) they're solid, doing their job, but not exactly wowing anyone. Are PATIO HEATERS those things at restaurants that allow you to eat outside even when the weather is a bit crisp? Maybe rich people have them at their "parties" too. I weirdly liked ERSTWHILE more than almost anything in the grid. Its quaintness and oldenness look especially fetching hanging out right next to the much more modern "SO RANDOM" (36D: "Wow ... what are the chances?!"). But I do think that the longest answer in the grid is probably also the best. It's the one thing that feels unimpeachably marquee-worthy. It also gave me a delightful moment of coincidence, where the first thing I wrote in fit ... but was incorrect. I had BULLI and thought "what in the world starts 'BULLI-???" Then after muttering things like "bullying" and "bullion" to myself for a bit, I thought "Oh, BULL IN ... something ... what's that expression? Oh right! BULL IN THE HEATHER!"
This is what happens when you were a Gen X kid who listened to too much '90s alt rock. I mean, BULL IN THE HEATHER slid right in. When it fit (!) I was like "woo hoo! nailed it!" But then a few seconds later, I was like "wait, isn't the expression BULL IN A CHINA SHOP?" And then *that* fit. So I tested a cross and when NOIR worked at 41A: Depicting the world bleakly and cynically, I knew which BULL phrase was the right one. So thanks to Sonic Youth for nearly derailing my solving experience today, it was thrilling.
![]() |
| [15A: Large restaurant vessel shaped like another vessel] |
Bullets:
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)] =============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:
- 1A: Main characters for an early reader (ABCS) — "characters" as in "letters"
- 16A: Conference handout (ID TAG) — no abbr. indicator in the clue made this extra hard for me
- 43A: "Sweet dreams are made of cheese / Who am I to dis a ___?" (parody lyrics) ("BRIE") — so incredibly dumb. I kind of love it.
- 47A: "It is not easy for a ___ to balance himself on a ladder": "Animal Farm" ("PIG") — first of all, true. Second of all, timely—the first American edition of Animal Farm was published 80 years ago this month (it was published a year earlier in England).
- 39D: Half-spoken, half-sung passages of an opera (ARIOSI) — a little old-school crosswordese for you. Vowel city! Terminal "I"! Useful! (though you don't see it around much any more—this is its first appearance in seven years).
- 48A: A word in closing (THUS) — I thought maybe "PLUS ..." Kinda like a "P.S."? Kinda?
- 14D: Humongous, slangily (BIG-ASS) — the NYTXW remains firmly in its ASS era. Expect ASS-suffixing to continue indefinitely. Conditions may worsen. Who knows?
- 2D: Neck topper (BOTTLE CAP) — I stared at this clue wondering what in the world it could mean. On top of a neck is a ... head. "Topper?" I get that bottles have "necks" and that bottle caps are "tops," but I can't quite imagine someone saying "top that neck, will ya?" and then someone else putting a bottle cap back on a bottle. But literally, the clue checks out.
- 13D: Green day star, for short (ST. PAT) — again, I don't think you'd actually call St. Patrick's Day "Green day" but literally, sure, people wear green, whatever. I just hope you didn't think the clue was asking for a member of the band Green Day—the lowercase "d" on "day" should've disabused you of that notion.
- 38D: Publisher of the front-page headline "This sport is stupid anyway" after a U.S. loss at the World Cup, in brief (N.Y. POST) — ... speaking of "American Idiot"—the New York Post! I miss the World Cup. Though I was reminded yesterday (in a New Yorker article about lethal European heatwaves) that Spain won and thought "oh ... right, I guess they did." Somehow the totality of the experience looms larger in my mind than the actual winner of the whole thing.
That's all. See you next time.
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:
- Pop Sensation (vintage paperbacks)






No abbreviations indicator for ACL also. REHABBED is a shortened word, but not an abbreviation
ReplyDeleteIsn't ACL an initialism?
DeleteYup
DeleteAll initialisms are abbreviations but not all abbreviations are initialisms
Delete
ReplyDeleteMedium. Very nice Saturday workout. Liked it more than @Rex did.
* * * * _
Overwrites:
A three-letter org. in a movie is almost always fbi, ciA or NSA*. I guessed both of the wrong ones at 5D before getting it right.
My 11D soft, silky material was sateen before it was MOHAIR.
I briefly had laND legs before HIND at 9D, before realizing that LAND was already at 20A.
Even though it didn't exactly fit the 32D clue I had DUALIty before DUALIST.
WOEs:
My Chinese is rusty so I needed every cross for CHENG at 8D.
Skin-care brand BIORE at 14A.
21A Romance author ANA Huang (whom I first guessed might be Amy).
Opera term ARIOSI at 39D.
* They rarely make movies about the PTA
But see href="https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077660/?ref_=fn_t_1">this one--scroll down past the ads.
DeleteGreat puzzle, Rafa and Kate. I was bogged down until BULL IN A CHINA SHOP got me rolling. Like Deadpool, maximum effort required.
ReplyDeleteLoved this one! Just the right amount of challenge. So much easier than yesterday's disaster.
ReplyDeleteIf there were any sins in this puzzle, they would all be atoned for, they would all be atoned for by BULLINACHiNASHOP (both clue and answer).
ReplyDeleteOn another note, I am always amused when someone who doesn't understand something calls it "stupid," when, in fact, the stupidity wholly belongs to the speaker.
I think Rafa set us up with those cat pics yesterday - this is not one of his bests. I guess the 16 tall grid allows that quad stack - they’re all decent - I like RAN ITS COURSE and PATIO HEATERS but overall a tepid central area. The vertical spanner is the highlight.
ReplyDeleteMOHAIR Locker Room Pin-Up Boys
I’m not as much an anti AI guy as Rex but agree that AI DOCTOR is uglies up the grid. Cute side eye to both the ASIAN - CHENG and BOAT - SHIP pairs. PERTER is highly unfortunate. BOTTLE CAP, DUALIST and ERSTWHILE are all top notch. Limited shorts and glue.
Jockey Full of Bourbon
Leaps and bounds ahead of yesterday’s trivia fest but not sure it meets the high expectations of these wonderful constructors. All in all an enjoyable enough Saturday morning solve. David Williams’ Stumper brings us another vertical spanner right down the middle but a completely different grid experience altogether.
On the thirty-first floor a gold plated door
Won't keep out the Lord's burning rain
Did anyone else put in Dr. Google before AI Doctor?
DeleteGravyboat was my initial thought vs sushi style
ReplyDeleteAnother hand up for GRAVY BOAT first. But was rectified soon thereafter.
DeleteI wonder whatever happened to Mohair Sam?
ReplyDeleteTough NE corner made this come in just about the same difficulty as yesterday's. Although it turned out SUSHI BOAT was the only WoE.
Liked being reminded of BOTTLE CAPs, perhaps my favorite candy growing up.
Did others think this was actually rather easy? I finished in half my usual time. Felt more like a Friday to me.
ReplyDeleteCan anyone please explain, “work, as a joke?” What idiom am I missing?
ReplyDeleteWhen a joke is successful, it is said "to land" (i.e.-"that joke landed!"). "Work" is being used synonymously with "successful" here.
DeleteWhen a joke is successful ("works"), it "lands." (So I've heard. Never had it happen.)
DeleteAhh, I see. But Liveprof, you always make me laugh!
DeleteThank you!
-Susan in Maine, aka anonymous
I was just about to ask an explanation. Thanks.
Delete@Liveprof 7:48 AM
DeleteLanded that one.
One of those very rare days when our solve (less than half our average time) outperformed Rex. It helped that, out of the gate, we took a flyer and guessed NBA CHAMPS for 5A. Two-thirds through we both thought this was unusually easy for a Saturday. Classic "your mileage may vary".
ReplyDeleteBut agree that it lacked a lot of sparkle, even though minimal three-letter words (8) and overall junk. And agree wholeheartedly re the double "AI" sightings found in AI DOCTOR and BAIN (the latter just as vilely a job-killer at the expense of making a chosen few rich...er).
Wrote in ERSTWHILE and said "love that word" out loud. Studied the clue and blank for 43A, from context entered BRIE and laughed out loud. And all for seeing TECH NO, although clued a bit differently.
I also took a chance with NBACHAMPS, but with no crosses working other than ASIAN, took it out. My restart was, oddly enough, BIORE.
DeleteI think I also said “love that word” out loud!
DeleteWow, grumpy today. BTW, patio heaters are relatively common these days. I saw one on Wayfair recently priced at $119.99. Hardly only for "rich people parties".
ReplyDeleteHe’s not “grumpy” whatever his tone is, whether you agree or not, he tells you exactly why he feels the way he feels. He has arguments, not just opinions or moods. And you love it. “Grumpy” is a lazy and deliberately insulting way of dismissing a POV you don’t share
DeleteHe literally refers to himself as “grumpy” in this post.
DeleteOn the other hand, when someone can become so easily irritated that “most of the good vibes immediately evaporate” when it pertains to those two letters, it can be described as acting a bit grumpily. That’s describing a specific action and not the person.
DeleteFair point on Rex making an argument vs. simply voicing an opinion.
DeleteHowever, I did not read Wideright's comment as being as objectionable as it appears you may have--especially since Rex described himself (potentially) as such in today's write-up, using the same adjective.
@Christopher it’s called having a sense of humor about yourself, some of you should really try it. Rando commenter saying it dismissively is a totally different thing.
DeleteI expected all the comments on Wideright to focus on the strange idea that people who have patios and spend $120 on a patio heater for it are not rich. Instead, we got a bunch of grumpiness about grumpiness.
DeleteThe cluing was Saturday sublime. Fuzzy clues, misdirects, inscrutables – plenty to crack and bring happy pings. Putting those hard-earned letters in the grid brought delicious rushes to see what might grow out of them.
ReplyDeleteAn answer set drawing from many fields, and sparked by NYT debuts, including NBA CHAMPS, PATIO HEATERS, SOCIAL LADDER, SUSHI BOAT, and USER ERROR.
I loved the gorgeous ERSTWHILE and the slipperiness of the clue for its symmetrical partner BOTTLE CAP – [Neck topper] – which could be anything that goes around a person’s neck, or even some other way of saying “head”.
And the wonder of something that’s so often taken for granted -- that all these answers are seamlessly interlocked. Have you ever tried making a crossword, even a mini or midi? The skill behind this!
Saturday rub, Saturday wit, Saturday beauty – all in the box today. First class and high quality, Rafael and Kate. Did it LAND? Oh indeed. This was a splendid outing – thank you!
I’m with Lewis. This was great, despite my being grumpy. A little name heavy (I always think that) but good clueing and good answers!
DeleteJust finished the puzzle and agree with your assessment.
DeleteI agree even though I needed a couple of googles to finish
DeleteHey All !
ReplyDeleteOnly (only, har) had to look up two answers to complete. BAIN and PITT. As I'm broke, I don't know investment firms, and as I have Roku with no additional pay-for channels, I don't get "regular" TV shows, ergo The PITT didn't ring any bells. Whatchagonnado?
Managed to grok everything else in this puz, on the difficult side for me. Liked the four-step Center 12's, and being crossed by a Down 15. With no junk fill.
NBAplAyer-NBACHAMPS, EonS-ERAS, Trance-TECHNO, one-MRS, olIne-RAIDS (nice NFL misdirect there), PoINTS-PAINTS. Think that's it
Good SatPuz. Swirled the brain bits around, gotta keep them moving. I DOES OK today. 😁
Hope y'all have a great Saturday!
No F's - GOT MAD at that. Har
RooMonster
DarrinV
Had most trouble with the four letter words—BAIN, PITT, NOIR, and choosing between DUALIST and DUALISm. Had to look up BOIRE to make sense of the NE, but the rest of the long phrases were so in the in the language that they came relatively quickly. BULLINTHECHINASHOP reminded me of my wife and I traveling with our pre-teen sons when they got frisky in a real china shop—that was kinda costly. Overall had to pick my way slowly through this one building on the relatively obvious longer phrases and developing crosses that made sense. Enjoyed the challenge.
ReplyDeleteAMEN AMEN AMEN on the AI slop fill!!!
ReplyDeleteFound this one Easy/Medium. Clocked in with a 9:36 solve time.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed the stacking of Boat and Ship.
ReplyDelete13D, thought Green Day was looking for something ecology-based.
Fastest Saturday ever in my experience and Sushi Boat just made me happy 🍣
ReplyDeleteMohair is soft, but silky? That's not an accurate description.
ReplyDeleteIf human hair can be silky and shiny why not mohair?
DeleteI love this blog
DeleteWhere’s Mohair Sam when you need him?
DeleteYES! The mohair clue is still enraging me. It’s not silky.
DeleteAgree. I don't think "silky" is an accurate description of mohair.
DeleteAdd me to the list of women who would never describe mohair as silky
DeleteMy brother-in-law Mitch, who passed away several years ago, was a physicist at IBM. When he retired he took courses in Harvard's adult ed program. He told me he was putting a course together to teach there. He was hooking up with a musician friend and the course was going to be on the connection of music to physics. We were up for Thanksgiving the following year and I remembered to ask him how the course went. He said he was pretty pleased with it. There were about a dozen students and it ran for four sessions. Then he said, "But I must tell you, I was shocked at the level of ignorance that's out there." "How so?" I asked. He said: "There was actually a person in the class who did not know what a LOGARITHM is. Can you imagine?"
ReplyDeleteWell, I was sitting there and I have no idea what the hell a LOGARITHM is. I hemmed and hawed a bit and said, "Really? Don't you think it's possible not to know what a LOGARITHM is and still not be a complete idiot?" And he said "Oh, please. It's like never having heard of Shakespeare." At least I got that one.
It became the measuring rod for intelligence in our family. I asked my wife if she met our daughter's new boyfriend and how he seemed. And she said, "Well, let me put it this way: I don't think he knows what a LOGARITHM is."
@Liveprof 8:46 AM
DeleteLove this. Reminds me of the dude yesterday suggesting anyone who doesn't know the demigod Harold Ramis is intellectually lazy.
In 10th grade I knew what a logarithm was, but in 60th grade I've long discarded such tripe. Heres the helpful (?) definition from Wikipedia;
In mathematics, the logarithm of a number is the exponent by which another fixed value, the base, must be raised to produce that number.
Oh sure, that.
Love this story. I probably shouldn't admit that I tried to put a "y" in logarithm and that held me up from getting "shirt" for a while!
DeleteHa! I spent a good five minutes or so trying to learn once but gave up. Just happy I remember Shakespeare.
DeleteTripe? Logarithms are tripe?
DeleteWow. That’s a…….take.
@Liveproof: 8:46AM, I'm reminded of a class I took as an undergrad when I needed some math credit. I chose "Physics of Music", taught by a wonderfully nutty and brilliant professor whom we simply called, "Doc". I have what is likely a self inflicted and very intense math block - not my cuppa. But Doc knew the class was filled with non-math majors and taught accordingly. For a brief few minutes, I actually understood why there is no E# or B#. That was worth the C I earned in the class...😊
DeleteAnonymous 19;57 AM
DeleteIt is called humor.
Garry and I are entitled to have no interest in trying to retain knowledge about advanced math. At 74 , with a serious illness, that level of math will not stick. It just won’t! .I know advanced math is a beautiful thing and very essential part of science . But it is way too late for me. I took Gary as saying to his brain it is meaningless.
Completely agree with Rex re. AI. Kinda disappointed that not more commenters do too.
ReplyDeleteI'm not a big AI lover either, but I gotta stay quiet, in case the computer overlords take over ...
DeleteRoo
Flying start with NBACHAMPS but that only begat HIND. NE was the first quadrant to fall, as ABCS led to BOTTLE CAPS and the rest of that area filled in fairly easily, but BIORE? Really? Share OFL's aversion to AIDOCTOR, for the reasons he cited. SE came next as the headline sounded like a NYPOST headline to me and sure enough. Hand up for the smile at seeing ERSTWHILE.
ReplyDeleteProblems after all that as I had B___LLIN and wanted a G after the N. Eventually saw the BULL which opened up the whole middle.
Last to fall was the SW. I thought of BRIE immediately as it sounded very Weird Al and I wanted PIG of course but the BP start was a mystery until I very belatedly saw that "90" was a grade. And me an ex-teacher. Come on man.
Had a good tough time with this one, RM and KCP. Redeemed Myself by Knowing Certain Propers but a lot of cogitation needed, just the way I like a Saturday. Thanks for all the fun.
Today is the day my wife and I said IDO, to use some crosswordese. That was 56 years ago. Cookout with our sons and their families this PM. They are both nearby for which we are properly thankful. I'm a lucky man in many ways.
Happy 56th Anniversary! My husband and I are nearing 46 years of marriage. Enjoy your party!
Delete@pabloinnh 8:49 AM
DeleteCongrats to you and your wife, dude. My wife has 20 years of sass to endure before we reach the same milestone.
Congeratulations, Pablo!
DeleteHappy anniversary! Forty-two years coming up soon for my husband and me.
DeleteMazel tov! And may you continue to enjoy more blessings than you can count.
DeleteCongratulations!!
DeleteHappy Annimuversary, @ Pablo! 46 is, as you know, the atomic number of Palladium!
DeleteNice @pablo. Congrats to you and Mrs pablo. My parents would've been 59 this year. Me? Never married. Had Iet the girl I liked in Connecticut in 1995 instead of meeting her in 1997, already with a boyfriend, I would've probably been married 29 or 30 years.
DeleteRoo
Congratulatios, Pablo. You've given us something to shoot for.
Deletepabloinnh
DeleteCongratulations!
U like wise found the puzzle tough.
I did enjoy the bottom half more than the top, particularly the SW corner with LOGARITHMS and USERERROR. My only quibble is that SEGA is a company, not a system. A Sonic system would be genesis or saturn or dreamcast.
ReplyDeleteAn Irish mini theme with STPAT and PATTI O'HEATER.
ReplyDeleteI know a lot of investors are buying and selling gold these days, but my Financial Advisors says DEALTIN.
It was SORANDOM the way this puzzle made me feel sore and dumb..
The last conference I went to was just for self-important people. At the door they'd give you an Ego Tag instead of an IDTAG.
I really don't think about whether I like an answer as a thing/concept. To me, the enjoyment of a themeless derives almost exclusively from the cleverness of the cluing, and this puzzle was a gem in that regard. Thanks so much, Rafael Musa and Kate Chin Park.
Perhaps *Paddy* O'Heater as well?
DeleteLove the Patti and SorAnDom. And your last comments.
Deleteegsforbreakfast
DeletePatti OHEATER is one of your best!
Also agree that AIDICTOR is not a buzz kill for me.
This was slow going at first, working around the outside and getting little-to-know purchase on that wide open middle section until.... BOTTLECAP suddenly popped up in my mental eye and suddenly the whole thing went woosh woosh. Amazing how you can have a whole bunch of blank space and then suddenly one clue brings the whole thing down.
ReplyDeleteQ: Which do you prefer: regardless or irregardless?
ReplyDeleteA: NOIR.
ALIENSHIP: the alternative to citizenship. Not recommended these days.
Mitt Romney graduated from BYU in 1971 with a BAIN English and a 3.97 GPA.
I'm humbled by all of you who found it easy. It took me a very long time and a couple of lookups. Loved "dis a BRIE."
ReplyDeleteReally? I camembert it.
DeleteI suspect it’s a weird Al Yankovich song. I love a bad pun so thumbs up from me.
DeleteThat's me on top.
DeleteSame! But I also just didn't like this one very much, so finishing it was very anti-climactic...
DeleteI hesitated way too long to put in "SOCIALLADDER" because of "ladder" in the 47A clue :/
ReplyDeleteMy time on this puzzle, 25 minutes, is toughest Saturday territory, but I was easing into "easier Saturday" right up until the SE snared me. I had ERSTWHILE crossing SWAP and then, nothing. It totally didn't help that I was not sure how DUALIS_ should end. DUALISm didn't work with the clue. DUALISh worked with the clue but isn't a word. In spite of that, I left that H there and then house music could be hip Hop - that would mess up that sector for who knows how many minutes?
ReplyDeleteIt didn't help that I could not remember the other well-known NY paper and really didn't know what "Put your back into it" was looking for. I finally tried TRY, got SO RANDOM and the rest fell into place. I was so sure the clue for 50D was referring to the magazine Time because of that tricky capital T leading off the clue. Outsmarted myself there.
I do give myself credit for getting ABCS at 1A immediately, a rarity on a Saturday, for me. Usually I have to skip about the grid before getting a foothold.
Thanks, Rafa and Kate, nice job!
Vaya, ¿cuáles son las probabilidades?
ReplyDeleteWay fewer obscurities today than yesterday's mess, and lots of strong longer answers, so nice work. Wonderful sense of humor.
Probably could've clued the Chinese name with a dash and been every bit as helpful. Would've made the whole thing PERTER.
And it's still a stupid sport.
Gunkometer--
People: 4
Places: 2
Products: 5
Partials: 6
Foreignisms: 4
--
Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 21 of 69 (30%)
Funny Factor: 7 😂
🔥 Ooh-la-la! 🔥 BIG ASS. BAITED.
Uniclues with extra fifth-grade je ne sais quoi):
1 A puffy patoot.
2 When you needed to pop, but tried to screw.
3 Sassy ass salad days.
4 Emulates Pollock.
5 "... and that's what happens when your barbecue victim becomes a DJ instead."
1 B-PLUS BIG ASS (~)
2 BOTTLE CAP RIGGED
3 PERTER HIND ERA (~)
4 PAINTS SO RANDOM
5 THUS ... TECHNO PIG (~)
My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: How the man in the moon knows he's above average. LUNAR BELL CURVE.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I thought solving the central section of the puzzle would allow me to finish the rest with ease. I was wrong. I just wasn’t able to grasp the other clues.No 🎈for me.
ReplyDeleteA Saturday solve (for me) in 20 minutes?? Great puzzle, Kate & Rafa.
ReplyDeleteLOVED BRIE :).
Renewed my (waning) faith in the NYT.
I just do not get how the brie parody lyric is funny. I see what they did, yes. I guess it reflects the nerdier part of the crossword world, these puns are always cringey. Other than that, I really enjoyed this puzzle.
ReplyDeleteHand up for being a proud member of the "nerdier part of the crossword world".
DeleteIDTAG made this impossible to get started for me. GOTMAD, ACLS, and STE were truly my first thoughts, and I let them go a) because this was Saturdya and my first thoughts rarely LAND, and b) that conference handout had to be a badge. Such a mess. But NBACHAMPS and BULLINACHINASHOP were also early guesses that worked, so finally got underway and sorted out BADGE at the end. Only other sticky point was that I was sure that supposed bug in the SW was some kind of blanketyblank DOOR programmers embed, even tho it didnt feel right.
ReplyDeleteWouldn't we diss a brie? It's dis?
Fun Saturday.
thepenn
DeleteDis is slang It comes from DISrespect used as a verb. My guess is that many added the second S because the original dis, looked incomplete Now both spellings are used.
For anyone who wants more wine and cheese puns, here is a video of "Sweet Dreams are Made of Cheese"
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SRY0_ovbLo
Totally agree re: AI Doctor. Ew. (I would’ve been ok w Web MD) . I found this one challenging, but I’m relatively new to daily solving. I found the most delight in “erstwhile.”
ReplyDeleteMondegreen. Had to look it up. A misheard lyric is a Mondegreen. Per Wikipedia, the term was coined in 1954.
ReplyDeleteI found this one very very easy, which reinforces my theory that demographics matter: I'm about the same age as Rafa and also live on the West Coast
ReplyDeleteThanks Rafa, a lot to like in this one but did get a little name and crosswardese heavy. Overall quite enjoyable.
ReplyDeleteI loved the puzzle, so many great clues and interesting entries. I got a slow start -- NBA CHAMPS ans SUSHI BOAT went right in, but then I stumbled around in the puzzle, getting random answers here and there -- until I finally saw SOCIAL LADDER (I did notice the dupe, but it had to be), and the whole center stack fell into place. After that it was just mopping up.
ReplyDeleteOne big problem, maybe with the editing. The name for "half spoken, half sung passages of an opera" is RECITATIVES. ARIOSI (plural of arioso) are movements to be sung or played in a song-like manner. It's used in the same way as "allegro," or "con brio," to give you a hint to how to play a passage. Nothing half-spoken about them. As I stated, it's a problem with the clue, the grid is fine.
I'm trying to think of a Trump joke about a pig on a ladder, but nothing I can come up with LANDs.
I see your point about ARIOSI, but just don't think there is enough space to give a clue that fully distinguishes it from "recitative". It is sung on pitch in the rhythm of speech, but more melodic than recitative. And appears differently if instrumental and depending on the time period. "Allegro" and "Con brio" are generally tempo indications, while con brio can be an indication or tempo unto itself, but is usually attached to "Allegro" meaning with spirit or life.
DeleteAgree that the clue for ARIOSI is bad, but that definition does not define recitative, either. If it's really "half- spoken" that would imply text with undefined pitch, which recitation is not.
DeleteA sidebar:
ReplyDeleteI find the knee-jerk arguments against A.I. to often be as one-sided as the arguments evangelists make for it.
Take AI doctors. There is evidence (hotly contested, obviously) that AI doctors outperform human doctors in many respects (see https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2852952). And yes, we need more human doctors, but human doctors do make mistakes, misdiagnose people based on subconscious bias, have no time to explain complicated concepts to people and answer every single question they might have, and so on. I don’t see the problem with using an LLM to get a sense of what’s going on and then speaking with a doctor with that information in hand. Especially for people who are traditionally not well served by the medical establishment or who have trauma relating to doctors, having a very good alternative is not a bad thing.
There are, of course, stories of people being harmed based on A.I. Doctor advice, and that’s awful. But I think it’s much more related to how people use the AI than it is the AI itself. We need to teach people how to use these tools in a realistic and purposeful manner rather than just saying either “this is the greatest thing ever and is going to solve all of our problems” or “this is the worst. Thing ever and it’s going to destroy us”. Neither are particularly helpful.
All that said, i enjoyed today. A nice crunchy Saturday.
Agree on all counts. I find that Google AI can be a QUICK helpful source of information. However, for something as important as health issues, it should only be a starting point.
DeleteAgree with Anon 10:37. Story in the paper last week about AI detecting conditions that MDs don't see enough to recognize.
DeleteAnd the whole PATIOHEATER objection is ridiculous, as pointed out above. Lengthens the outdoor party season a lot. So count me in on the "Grumpy about the grunpy" side.
Did anybody else put Dr Google instead of AI doctor?
Deletethe issue isn't the use of ai in medicine, specifically in diagnosis. it's that ai, especially the pattern matching models of today, is not and cannot be a doctor. it's the equivalent of saying that noah wylie is a doctor based on his years of playing one on tv (h/t to _the grinder_ w/rob lowe foe the counter-argument).
DeleteA.I. bots can’t even help with basic problems when calling or “chatting with” the various businesses that already use them to take calls. This is the future of medicine as well? To me it looks like a way to rake in money, while also keeping medical (higher) education inaccessible and unaffordable and medical care unfunded for most.
DeleteSure, let a computer scan an MRI or mammogram - but let trained humans interact with people, in medicine and everywhere else.
Not too hard (20 minutes on a Sat is still good for me) but I really liked this puzzle. Good flow
ReplyDeleteI'm not in the same league with those of you posting 9-minute or even 20-minute solve times, but I did find this puzzle much more doable, and also more interesting, than yesterday's.Tried to make Balaclava work before BOTTLECAP, and had Allow before ALLOT. But the cluing overall was clever and challenging so I give the puzzle high marks. Thanks for an enjoyable Saturday morning activity, Rafa and Kate!
ReplyDeleteSurprised at Rex’s verdict because I really liked today’s puzzle! Appropriately crunchy in places and some great whoosh-y long answers.
ReplyDeleteWow! I guess this is what folks above my pay grade call a “proper“ Saturday. I had a very tough time with it, to the point of finally just giving up. No fun to have to look up more than a few answers. SUSHI BOAT? As far as I’m concerned, all sushi should be in a SHIP … on its way back to the ocean. Preferably the bottom. And take the ALIEN kale too while you’re at it. Anyway, even with cheats, I still couldn’t get going. Like I said, just above my pay grade. Props to those of you who aced it.
ReplyDeleteLike RP, I kind of loved dis a BRIE. I’ve heard that song many times and hummed it in my head while exercising etc. because it’s got a great bouncy beat, but never had any idea it wasn’t “disagree.” So I loved that lyrical LESSON and discovering ANA, whose books sound intriguing. Nice!
I can’t do Saturdays either so I put on the autocheck and then do them.
DeleteLes S, More: That Antigone production sounded great except that I would not like to hear "Are you f***ing kidding me?" in my Shakespeare. I can take BIGASS in the Saturday puzzle, but don't go there with Shakespeare, please. By the way, were you at Stratford, ON? My friend saw "The Tempest" there recently and loved it.
ReplyDeleteOur local summer Shakespeare theater put on Othello last year and introduced a rap sequence halfway through. That was the last straw for me, I'm afraid; we left at intermission. I hate most of the "modernization attempts."
Don’t blame you for leaving. I probably would have stood outside with a protest sign.
Delete@jnlzbth. I was not at Stratford. Alas, I live on the west coast and have to make do with a Vancouver Shakespeare festival called Bard on the Beach whose productions are staged in large tents overlooking a park and, yes, a beach. The back wall of the tent is open so you can often see boats and float planes and joggers going by. Weird, but sometimes appropriate. A real puzzle for the set designers. They often try novel takes. A few years ago they staged a play about goblins trying to produce Macbeth. The premise was interesting - a group of goblins, who just didn’t understand human emotions trying to get concepts like greed and ambition and such - but the play was awful. I wanted to leave but my wife seemed to be enjoying it. She recently invited me to a performance of Goblin Oedipus and I declined. Instead, she offered my ticket to her dog-walking friend - a thirty-something woman with a lot of tattoos and purple hair - and they both loved it. So maybe this is that young woman’s entry into Greek drama. Maybe that’s good.
DeleteA little aside here: Before Trump made visiting the US objectionable, we used to frequently visit Ashland, Oregon for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. I don’t know where you are located, jnlzbth, but if you are in that area, you should check it out. Lovely little town, great productions.
Les - Goblin Oedipus...too, too funny!
DeleteI'm in NY state now but used to live in the Bay Area and had friends in Ashland, so I've seen several shows there, including a fun production of the Marx Brothers' "The Cocoanuts." Also saw several great productions at the Berkeley Shakespeare Festival, which moved to Orinda and became California Shakespeare, and then closed, after 50 years, in 2024. Now we try to catch the best ones that come to NYC from London.
Easier than Friday, but still challenging. Needed one cheat, for SUSHIBOAT, which opened uo the NE. Lucky guess gave me the BIORE/AIDOCTOR cross. I agree with Rex that March 17 isn't called "Green day" (I thought the clue suggested ecology), so STPAT came in at the end.
ReplyDeleteFor Anonymous 10:37: Doesn't the word "artificial" bother you, when it pertains to life-and-death questions?
"This is what happens when you were a Gen X kid who listened to too much '90s alt rock. I mean, BULL IN THE HEATHER slid right in."
ReplyDeleteI feel seen.
Loved and agreed with Rex’s rants today. What a world we’re in now.
ReplyDeleteDid not like the clue of “is immersed” for ‘soaks’. I felt the tenses did not match. Immerses or soaking IMHO.
ReplyDeleteThe test is to substitute the answer for the clue in a sentence. "The shirt is immersed in soapy water." / "The shirt soaks in soapy water."
DeleteThis was the repeat of last weekend's progression. A challenging Friday followed by an average Saturday which feels easy in comparison. I didn't notice the volume of names up north as the crosses gave them up so easily that they didn't register. For once I got the first letter of a basketball player's name and actually knew the answer so there was that too.
ReplyDeleteI thought I'd finished in the NE only to get the "so close " notification. I had a DUALISM/DUALIST dnf. It took me 8 minutes to find it. An ignoble end to a meh solve.
Smooth, nice puzzle guys. Took about half as long as yesterday
ReplyDeleteI loved this puzzle and found it just the right amount of tricky. My one nitpick is that the NBA CHAMPS clue didn’t signal “for short” or “colloquially” or anything. “Champs” is decidedly an abbreviation, no? I actually put in the right answer but kept expecting to have to change it since it didn’t fit the clue. But I loved all the other long answers, and ERSTWHILE may have been my favorite too! Funny to see some stuffy answers like that in a puzzle that also had things like BIG ASS and SO RANDOM. “Social ladder” and “ran its course” both came to mind quickly and happened to work, so I was just on a good wavelength with this puzzle. I did get tripped up towards the end because I had OUTiE instead of OUTRE in the SW and could not for the life of me figure out what U_ERERiOR could be. Meanwhile it was my own user error all along.
ReplyDeleteUnlike some, I had a better time with yesterday's puzzle but liked this one just fine. I liked the stacks way better than @Rex did, I thought all were Marquee worthy and other than LOGARITHM, they were all nicely in-the-language. Cluing for NBACHAMPS and USERERROR was quite nice, not necessarily the mis-directs that make me work all that hard, but clever enough to make me smile. But the whole NW, CENTRAL and SW neighborhoods were fun to work through. Like @Rex, I thought having SORANDOM side by side with ERSTWHILE was a very nice touch - a good today/yesterday vibe. We also had a stellar spanner today with BULLINACHINASHOP, how can you not like that? And tricky cluing to add to the fun!
ReplyDeleteA bit of a slow start as I missed the plural in the clue for 1A (Characters) so I wanted Dick or Jane. I couldn't let those possibilities go for a bit too long but once I realized it was SEGA at 4D, that gave me the S that made the brain click.
I'm trying to deal with the whole AI mess. I agree with @Rex and others on all points, but I'm trying to take the "Human led, AI enabled" view of things. I think that just helps to take some of the dread away when I pay too much attention to what's going on... I can't lie that it *has* come in handy for me in many instances...so I'm making every effort to prevent it's presence in a grid from ruining my solving experience.
Thank you Rafa and Kate, I liked this one ALLOT!😊
FYI, Rafa is also one of the constructors of today's LA Times/Washington Post Saturday puzzle.
ReplyDeleteSaw that, good one in LAT as well with common answer STE! I think Rebecca Goldstein had a coast-to- coast pair on the same day once, puts Rafa in good company
DeleteAnd there's on clue/answer that's almost-but-not-quite identical to one in this puzzle.Hmm.
DeleteI had a feeling Rex would mirror some of my thoughts: AI DOCTOR is horrendous and the one great thing in the puzzle is BULL IN A CHINA SHOP. 5-word phrases are always unexpected. 6-word 15-letter answers are also possible, but rare (AT THE DROP OF A HAT came to mind). And yes, I know about the ABBA song that's a 10-word 15-letter answer, but that's just a common piece of short fill x5.
ReplyDeleteNon-American solver with very limited sports knowledge here. I quickly got that "hoops" = "basketball", but why do NBA CHAMPS "get rings"?
ReplyDelete@Anon; 12:30PM, NBA champs are awarded (finger) rings much the same way in Baseball World Series winners are awarded World Series rings and (American) football Super Bowl winners are awarded Super Bowl Rings.
DeleteEach player gets a championship ring.
DeleteHighly decorated Championship rings for the fingers are a tradition in the major US sports.
DeleteThe team members, coaches, and staff of champions in American sports typically will each receive a special (expensively made) ring to.commemorate the event. This is true for all professional sports and also some college sports
DeleteIn North American professional sports, most championship teams issue commemorative rings to their players. Hasn't always been this way but it seems to have become the norm. I have a friend who played over a thousand games in the NHL and was on 5 Stanley Cup Champion teams. He doesn't (as far as I know) have a single commemorative ring. Instead, he has 5 miniature Stanley Cups placed discretely on top of the tallest bookshelf in his home office. Unlighted. You have to be really looking to find them. He is one of the most humble people I know and if you gave him a big flashy ring, I don't think he'd wear it. The rings are usually pretty gaudy and seem to be a way for the players to show off.
DeleteYes, and they’re awful.
DeleteThe NFL and NBA (I think MLB too) give rings to the team which the title.Now the term ring is synomous with championship. At least in sports argot.
I have almost no knowledge of the other major American leagues, but I know the NFL very well.
60 years ago, the Super Bowl ring was akin in size to a High School class ring. Today it’s more like a economy car. It would have to shed 4 pounds of metal and cheap stones, not to mention a cool ton of bad taste, to rise to the level of garish.
Championship rings are awarded to the players on the winning team.
DeleteIn American major sports, Championship rings have been provided to the winners for many years
DeleteAdd me to those who found this easy. It was quite a bit easier than yesterday’s for me…I put in ABCS and mostly just kept going.
ReplyDeleteNo costly erasures.
I did not know BRIE, CHENG, ANA, and NYPOST as clued but they were easily inferable.
Great clues for ST PAT and PATIO HEATERS.
Solid with no junk but just a soupçon of sparkle, liked it.
the entire puzzle felt just slightly off (or maybe i'm the skewed one). AI DOCTOR. i agree with all of Rex's points on AI. also how is this any different than AI NURSE, AI LAWYER, etc.? AI- is equivalent of eat-a-sandwich.
ReplyDeleteALIEN SHIP. i guess it's a phrase in use but only in books/film, but english-speaking earthlings call the clued object a ufo.
IDTAG. is this what people
instead call a "name tag"? IDTAG is closer to military dogtag or a badge workers wear to access secured areas.
CHENG. i'm not looking forward to arbitrary non-latin translation clues, but maybe that year of learning russian will finally come in handy.
DUALIST/SOAKS. i'm missing how the clues' grammar lines up with the answers.
BRIE. please find another song to butcher. or clue as "_ larson, portrayer of lead singer of the clash at demonhead"
WILSON. i should have led with this. TIL and thank you.
Thanks, Rafa and Kate!!! This was a properly tough puzzle for me on a Saturday, 21 minutes or so. Definitely had to go around and around it, and keep trying things to see what would work. Like the 16-tall grid. The grid spanners are all solid, esp. BULLINACHINASHOP as has been mentioned. Lots of names I had no idea about.... I'm looking at you, WILSON and CHENG and ANA. Had CHaNG before CHENG an ET on an ALIaNSHIP eventually set me straight. SW and NE corners were both really nice. Esp. LOGARITHM on top of USERERROR. Lotsa fun, you two
ReplyDeleteThe champs receive heavy, gaudy diamond-encrusted rings to wear on their fingers.
ReplyDeleteJ—
DeleteWhere else would they wear rings?
I loved this puzzle! Maybe mostly bc it's one of the very few (maybe second?) Saturday puzzle I've ever completed without ever checking anything. Took 20 mins.
ReplyDeleteI knew some of the stuff Rex didn't. Put Biore in right away. I loved most of the long answers, and medium ones too. Didn't like AI Doctor but I didn't hate it as much as Rex did, probably bc it's so topical right now--didn't it just get launched or something? So much of this puzzle felt fresh while also not being too modern. I also loved Erstwhile and Sushi Boat! I'd love to take a Tennis Lesson followed by a delicious Sushi Boat. The thing I hated to see was Bain Capital and Mitt Romney. Ugh.
I dunno, I think for me the cluing was very much on my wavelength in a way some puzzles simply are not. Since I finished this puzzle without ever checking it, I was sure Rex would rank it as very easy, and was surprised to see it got a medium.
I actually took delight in both Rafa’s puzzle (wonderful clueing!) and Rex’s AI rant (like him, I work in education, so I’m on the front lines of seeing what it is doing to young people’s ability to think critically). The rant was predictable enough we could almost say that Rex was BAITED. I guess my sadness in seeing AI DOCTOR in the grid was short-lived enough to enjoy all the rest of this puzzle.
ReplyDeleteI got really messed up on the top when CHAMPIONS fit what was supposed to be NBA CHAMPS (with no indication of an abbreviation), and then fatally many of the crosses checked out—CIA seemed as plausible as the correct NSA, ASIAN still fit correctly, PANT leg was plausible, and some of those other words I would eventually need every cross for. So it wasn’t until nearly the end that I had enough of the rest of the puzzle to see BULL IN A CHINA SHOP from the bottom end, which was a wonderful answer to clean up my early error.
Loved so many of the tricky and fun clues here. I did fall for the “Green day” trap for quite a while. Loved the stupid BRIE joke. B PLUS took me embarrassing long for an educator. The clue for USER ERROR made me smile. The NY POST headline was so dumb it was funny. Loved the tricky clue for ABCS and LAND.
I still consider myself a newer solver (e.g. no way I have ever seen ARIOSI in my life), and I expect to need to resort to looking up a few things (a couple of the names and the fabric in this case) on a Saturday. But for this one, I was able to get a lot of traction by sticking with the clues, and didn’t look up anything until late in the game. So then it felt rewarding to see Rex label as “medium” a Saturday puzzle in which I could in fact get traction on my own. Thanks for a puzzle, Rafa and Kate! What a great Saturday.
And yes, f*** AI.
Boy not on my wavelength; this was very much harder than yesterday. I gave up last evening and finally slogged my way to the end this morning. As Rex noted, a bad start with all those names up top. Total Unknowns: BIORE, CHENG, ANA, WILSON.
ReplyDeleteMath was my best subject in school and college, so I was shocked when 51 across turned out to be LOGARITHM. How could I forget that? Sure it was almost 50 years ago, but...
So on the weather front: it has been raining steadily for almost 2 hours now. I should be deliriously happy; this is the first measurable precip we have had in 2 months. But why on Saturday? Some people are impossible to please.
I think they make special championship rings for each person on the winning team. Personally I could do with less sports in these puzzles.
ReplyDeleteI have been eating sushi for many, many years and don’t think I’ve ever encountered a boatload of it. Is this something you pick up at Costco because you’re too lazy (or maybe just too rushed) to cook anything for a pot luck? And ALIEN SHIP? You mean space ship, right? Made for an unpleasant NE corner.
ReplyDeleteThe stack across the middle was workmanlike. Not terribly exciting. SOCIAL LADDER, PATIO HEATERS (snooze), and TENNIS LESSON (more snoozing). RAN ITS COURSE was interesting.
Of course I liked BULL IN A CHINA SHOP, and its clue was great. And, like many others, I was glad to see ERSTWHILE, but the puzzle just didn’t sparkle for me.
there are restaurants which will float a small boat containing sushi past the bar patrons
DeleteYouve been eating sushi fir not just many, but many years and you haven’t run into boat?!!!!!
DeleteThen double down on your ignorance and insult people?
@walrus. The one place I used to frequent that had a floating selection of sushi put small plates on wooden "rafts' - small wooden platters - and you ould remove the plates from the wooden platters as they sailed by. At the end of your meal, your plates would be counted and you would be charged accordingly. No boats that I can remember.
DeleteEmbarrassingly slow time (solved late last night). So... a proper Sat in my book. The clues more than made up for the SEEMingly "tepid" marquee entries. Loved it. Thanks, Rafa and Kate!
ReplyDeleteread as - Green (day star), aka a different Morning Star. alas.
ReplyDeleteDis a BRIE!!! Awesome clue...
ReplyDeleteToday’s Saturday puzzle has AI DOCTOR at 1-Down, clued as “Nonhuman provider of medical advice.” And yes, I have a problem with this. A serious problem.
ReplyDeleteI was perfectly happy solving along. BULL IN A CHINA SHOP for “Breaking character?” Excellent. SUSHI BOAT? Delightful. SOCIAL LADDER, RAN ITS COURSE, TENNIS LESSON—lovely stuff. The puzzle is breezy, smart, and unusually generous for a Saturday. Then I hit AI DOCTOR and suddenly I am being asked to accept the phrase AI doctor as though this were a normal thing people say. It is not. It is a tech-bro noun compound that escaped from a pitch deck and crawled into my crossword.
And then BAIN shows up. Because apparently one AI sighting wasn’t enough. Rex specifically notes the “double AI” presence in AI DOCTOR and BAIN, and describes the latter as a job-killer too. So now the grid is giving me AI and private-equity capitalism in the same little rectangle of newsprint. Wonderful. Exactly what I wanted from my Saturday morning: the creeping automation of labor, expressed through crossword fill.
The especially infuriating thing is that AI DOCTOR isn’t even bad as an answer. That’s the problem. It is perfectly intelligible. “Nonhuman provider of medical advice” → AI DOCTOR. Sure. Fine. I understand it. I hate that I understand it. A crossword answer should not make me contemplate the possibility that someday my physician will be a subscription service with a monthly usage limit.
But the rest of the puzzle? Excellent. PIG in the Animal Farm quotation, ST PAT for the star of a “green day,” NY POST for that spectacular World Cup headline, BULL IN A CHINA SHOP, SUSHI BOAT—there is a lot to like here.
So: four stars, perhaps. Very good Saturday. I just wish it had been constructed by someone who hadn’t discovered that artificial intelligence exists. Unfortunately, the constructors have apparently been replaced by AI, and I have no choice but to solve the resulting puzzle.
Wait.
AI DOCTOR.
Oh God.
It’s already too late.
Was reading through all the nice comments and congratulations on reaching our 46th year of marriage when I noticed my own typo., as it's actually year number 56, further proof of just how long we've been married. i. e. my age. Duh, and thanks to everyone so far.
ReplyDeleteI’ve been misdefining ERSTWHILE since forever. Thanks, Times puzzle, for continuing my education.
ReplyDeleteSkynet’s baby steps: https://www.cnn.com/2026/07/22/tech/openai-hugging-face-ai-cybersecurity
ReplyDeleteI have a wait and see attitude about all things A.I. related but given the 2016 British Medical Journal report that medical error is the third leading cause of death in the US, maybe an AI DOCTOR could be helpful in preventing some of those errors.
ReplyDeleteMy grandparents had an BIGASS ERSTWHILE MOHAIR couch. I didn't find it soft and silky, as clued. Seemed more ZZZZfuywuy.
Don't know why it's called TECHNO rave music. Maybe it's because this guy could have just step off an ALIEN SHIP into downtown Amsterdam.
How does “is immersed”
ReplyDeleteGive us Soaks? Not soaked?
The garment soaks in soapy water. The garment is immersed in soapy water.
DeleteHad trouble finding the answer BIORE (see second paragraph) 😁
ReplyDeleteGene
Gene - 14A
DeleteIn yesterday's puzzle, I had never heard of WE ARE SO BACK. Then just now I ran into it on Pinterest! (except it says "we're".)
ReplyDeleteRex, I feel you on this one. I didn't time it either, but I was done before my coffee cooled, which is never what I want from a Sunday. The letter-bank idea is clever on paper — MATISSE / MARTIN SHEEN is the pair that actually made me smile — but once you clock the mechanic there's nothing left to wrestle with. NADIYA was my only real pause too.
ReplyDeleteFunny coincidence from the rest of the NYT Games pack this morning: today's Strands theme is literally "Hardly eager," with the spangram I'D RATHER NOT. Pretty much this write-up in three words. When I get stuck on that one I use https://www.strands.today/ for spoiler-light hints before the full answers, which is more often than I care to admit.
ELAINE STRITCH was the highlight of the grid for me as well. Everything else felt like it was on the Sunday-easy setting.