Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Trendy sneaker brand / WED 7-29-26 / 2025 Ron Howard survival thriller / Fishy Hawaiian dish / Chips with a "Blue Heat" flavor / Drinks that may be prepared with a steam wand / Home of County Donegal

Constructor: Emily Biegas and Sala Wanetick

Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium

THEME: "VENI, VIDI, VICI" (58A: Classic quotation that might be said by 20-, 34- and 41-Across?) — people who "came," "saw," and "conquered," respectively (the "classic quotation" is Caesar's, of course, and its English translation can be found in the first two words of each clue, taken collectively and sequentially): 

Theme answers:
  • PARTY-CRASHER (20A: I came uninvited)
  • NOSTRADAMUS (34A: I saw the future)
  • KEN JENNINGS (41A: I conquered "Jeopardy!" for 74 days straight)
Word of the Day: EDEN (65A: 2025 Ron Howard survival thriller) —

Eden is a 2024 American historical survival thriller film directed by Ron Howard and written by Noah Pink, from a story by the pair.[4] It stars Jude Law, Ana de Armas, Vanessa Kirby, Sydney Sweeney, Daniel Brühl, Felix Kammerer, Toby Wallace, and Richard Roxburgh. The film is based on the true story of several European settlers, including Margret Wittmer, who arrive on the isolated Floreana Island, in the Galápagos Islands, Ecuador, pre-World War II, hoping to start a life there.

The film premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 7, 2024, and was released theatrically in Germany on April 2, 2025, by Leonine, and in the United States by Vertical on August 22, 2025. The film received mixed reviews from critics. [...] Following its releases in Germany and Italy, the film grossed a total of $825,041.

In the United States and Canada, the film made $1 million from 664 theaters in its opening weekend.

• • •

The theme gets points for being strange and original, conceptually, but loses points for having the themer set be so completely arbitrary. I think KEN JENNINGS is the strangest. I get that you all love that that show and that guy, but as an avatar of "I conquered," generally??? Of all the people who ever "conquered" anything, that's the choice? For this puzzle's audience, maybe that's the right call. Red meat. For me, that choice seemed bizarre. But it's got an unexpectedness and wackiness that I can appreciate, even if it's not really my VIBE (unlike the vast majority of puzzle people I know, I don't watch the show, but go to any crossword tournament and it seems like half the people there have been on the show, and half of them were champions). There's a kookiness factor that keeps this one from being boring. The fill could've been (much) better. RES ASEA REORG ALFA and on and on with the overfamiliar old stuff, all the way down to OCHRE, EIRE, and SNES (still the ugliest abbreviation I know) (stands for "Super NES" ... the "NES" stands for "Nintendo Entertainment System"). There's also EDEN, which provided a high/low point today with its (to me) hilarious clue (65A: 2025 Ron Howard survival thriller). "Hilarious" in that I was like "Ron Howard directed what now???" If that movie fell in the forest, I'm pretty sure it made no sound. Did it even get released here. Wikipedia says it made $2.8 million, but that's against a budget of $55 million!! What the hell happened? I want to say "it bombed" but as someone who pays reasonably close attention to movies, I think it's more accurate to say "it never showed up." Cluing EDEN via such an extremely, comically unsuccessful movie—a real choice. I once clued FLORENCE PUGH via Don't Worry, Darling (which had recently come out, with a lot of hype and controversy surrounding it) and the editor (whom I adore) changed it to a clue about a f***ing Marvel movie (Black Widow), and I still haven't gotten over it. If the editors changed the EDEN clue to this, that's a crime. Of course, if the clue was the constructors' own ... sometimes it's better not to try to be creative and original and contemporary, is what I'm saying. EDEN is crosswordese. Just ... make the clue innocuous and move on.


The one notable bit of fill today, from where I'm sitting, is HOKA, a brand I've been waiting to show up in the NYTXW for years now (21D: Trendy sneaker brand). From where I was literally sitting, yesterday, in the cafe I got to most mornings, I was noticing a guy's HOKA shoes and thinking about this very thing: how trendy they are, and how I still hadn't seen HOKA in the grid. I mean, with that "K," HOKA is never gonna reach EDEN or EIRE or ASEA levels of crossword prominence, but it could do some damage. Might have legs. Any new four-letter answer is likely to have some kind of life ... and afterlife. Just ask ASTA. Gone but not forgotten (by crossword solvers).


I can imagine some of the proper nouns giving some solvers trouble here and there (HOKA, TAKIS ... EDEN, lol), but otherwise this seemed very easy. Four-letter repeater after four-letter repeater. Some three-letter repeaters. Some five-letter repeaters. A lot of repeaters. I like the AVOCADO / RIPENED pairing, for obvious reasons, and KEGELS gave the grid a little unexpected squeeze. I wrote in PUPU before POKE (40A: Fishy Hawaiian dish). I don't think I knew TAKIS were considered "chips" (31D: Chips with a "Blue Heat" flavor). I thought they were more like ... sticks. Wait, am I getting them confused with that Japanese snack ... lol yes, POCKY! (rhymes with TAKI?)

But, in my defense, actual TAKIS really are stick-shaped:


But since the sticks are made out of rolled tortilla chips, I guess "chips" is an accurate descriptor after all.

Bullets:
  • 32D: Name inside of a libretto? (BRETT) — literally, inside the word "li-BRETT-o"
  • 58D: Get on (with) (VIBE) — I was thinking of the phrase "get on with it!" and so the verb meaning of "VIBE (with)" didn't occur to me until I got a couple crosses.
  • 55D: "Soup's on!" ("DIG IN!") — these seem like completely different statements: one you say to call everyone to the table, and the other you say after everyone's seated. For this reason, I think, my brain kept shouting "DIN-DIN!" — which is what you might say in order to call someone (or, say, a cat) to dinner. "DIN-DIN!" wouldn't fit, of course, but I still think it's a nearer equivalent to "Soup's on!" than "DIG IN!" is.
That's all for today. See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

58 comments:

  1. Offbeat theme no doubt - I had the same reaction to KEN JENNINGS. I may be one of a handful who’s never really watched the show - and I know it’s hugely popular but as conquerors go he’s has to be pretty far down on the list.

    BRETT Dennen

    Overall fill is workmanlike - no real hiccups. Liked EGGED ON and the AVOCADO - RIPENED pair. GARDENS is a pleasant sight in the grid. They may be trendy now but a few years ago when I started wearing HOKA’s for my daily runs they were a game changer for my long term calf issues. I’ve since moved on to similar Saucony shoes but I have nothing but love them.

    LATE NIGHT Grand Hotel

    Enjoyable enough Wednesday morning solve.

    The FINAL Cut

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob Mills6:20 AM

    Finished it thanks to an alphabet run for the HOKA/KEGELS cross (never heard of either, not even in a crossword). Interesting theme idea, but a weakness, I'd say, is that GATECRASHER (alone among the three) is an unidentified person.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Easy, but fun. Liked it more than not.
    * * * _ _

    Overwrites:
    AS If before AS IN for "Like ..." at 28D. With that and because 42D could have been urGED ON, KEN JENNINGS (41A) was hard to see until I read the clue.
    My challah recipe has you kneaD before you BRAID (60A).

    WOEs:
    I'm just not trendy enough to know the sneaker brand HOKA (21D).
    Didn't know the recent movie EDEN at 65A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:47 AM

    At 31 across, isn’t TBD duplicative of the clue, “Not yet decided, for short”? That clue gave me pause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard TBD as "to be determined".

      Delete
  5. Absolutely terrible.

    The KENJENNINGS clue is so weak that the word "conquered" needed to be part of it, making it a definition clue, the worst. The clues for VENI and VIDI are also bogus.

    There is so little sparkle in the cluing that the constructor resorted to a cryptic clue at 32D. It's not even a clever cryptic clue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not even a correct one -- BRETT is inside of libretto, not "a libretto."

      Delete
  6. It flew right over my head – twice.

    The theme answers began with “I came”, “I saw”, and “I conquered”, yet when I came to the revealer, not having read its clue, VENI VIDI VICI never entered my mind.

    When I finally read the revealer’s clue, starting with “Classic quotation”, and revealed the first two letters *then* the phrase hit me with a flash and a boom.

    But the English translation in the theme answer clues still hadn’t registered, and thus, when I reread those clues, there came boom number two -- and so for me this was a kapow puzzle. That pair of booms nixed any nits I might have otherwise had. I’m a believer.

    Little lifts along the way. The mention of challah evoked its marvelous-to-me look, aroma, and taste. The contradictory PuzzPair©️ of KEN JENNINGS and DENSE. Those three-, four-, and five-letter palindromes (AJA, NOON, RADAR). And the answer AMOR, which backwards adds to the theme VIBE.

    Ergo, this was, for me, a splendid outing. Thank you, Emily and Sala!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andy Freude7:18 AM

    [William, in 1066]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stillwell8:52 AM

      [Edmund, with Tenzing] ?

      Delete
  8. This puzzle was Monday-easy in the top half and gave me trouble in the bottom half. KENJENNINGS was a gimme, even though I rarely watched Jeaopardy, but some of the crosses there were WoEs. I’ve never heard of TAKIS (or maybe just didn’t remember them at all) and STE before a hotel number? What is that? Street, Sainte? No idea. I thought, VENI,VIDI, VICI? when I read the revealer clue but wasn’t sure so waited for a few crosses.

    Also, rolled the dice before the TAPE, had Rocky before RAMBO, and don’t know SNES (that one, however, fell in from crosses) None of those are the puzzle’s fault of course, but they were flies in the ointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:10 AM

      STE is short for "suite."

      Delete
  9. I was surprised to learn that (just this week) Salvador Perez overtook George BRETT 318-317 as franchise homerun leader for the Royals. No other Royal has even reached 200.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:59 AM

      Salvadors a big dude and I feel like he's been around since the 1900s

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:58 AM

      With or without pine tar?

      Delete
    3. Anonymous11:01 AM

      Enjoyable puzzle but Hoka./ Kegel cross was a bit over my head.
      George Brett was a great one and I well remember his wild outrage when they took away his homer against the Yankees because he had too much pine tar on his bat.

      Delete
  10. Very easy. Would have been medium on a Tuesday. This despite a surprising number of unknown stuff like TAKIS (which I think we've had before but clearly hasn't stuck), HOKA (never heard of it, which is true of much that is ‘trendy’), and POKE (which I actually know very well as a word because it's always in the crossword puzzle, but don't actually know what it means).

    Weird that they all have K as the third letter.

    Rex's take on EDEN is completely accurate, but I would say the same about his attempt to use Don't Worry, Darling in a clue for Florence Pugh. If you have to reach to Hollywoodland for your clues, make them as straightforward as possible. Little Women or Black Widow are the acceptable movies to use to clue Florence Pugh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agree w/ Rex re: "dig in" though I got it easy enough

    ReplyDelete
  12. A bit of a snoozer of a theme in an otherwise pretty straightforward grid today. I agree with OFL - it’s too early in the week to go arcana with a simple answer like EDEN (there’s today’s NYT DNA for you though).

    I had a bit of a struggle in the far southwest - I took a flier on EIRE, and it took a while for DIGIN, SNES and MITES to register. Other than that, pretty smooth sailing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:53 AM

      Hey "north"side Johnny, I believe you meant southEAST, FWIW

      Delete
    2. DAVinHOP11:46 AM

      Agree with others; pretty tepid theme, and overall more suited for a Tuesday.

      I'm a dad, so thought I knew 29A; but spelled it KuGELS, which is a noodle casserole of Jewish cuisine. My wife is a mom, so SHE knew the correct spelling.

      AJA Wilson could be the most famous WNBA player not named Caitlin Clark. If you knew it, it made KEN JENNINGS a cinch; if you didn't, it took a few more seconds.

      My HS Latin teacher got beyond RILED at the pronunciation of Caesar's quote with a "V" sound. She said that, back then (albeit she wasn't THAT old to know firsthand), a Latin "V" was pronounced as a "W". And hard "C" for the last word..."Weni, Widi, Wiki". QED

      Delete
  13. Hey All !
    LOL Rex, at your sneaky "and KEGELS gave the grid a little unexpected squeeze." Clever!

    Silly brain had me not even notice the "I came I saw I conquered" trifecta in the clues, so when I got the Revealer, I was wondering how the three Themers related. Man, I'm hoping the ole brain hangs on long enough so I can enjoy some retirement years before I'm found drooling in a corner somewhere. 😁

    Spelling AVOCADO as AVACADO, and wondered what PLOT PaINT was ...
    MFA looks like an insult abbreviation.
    Had bITES for MITES, looking at RANDOb like huh? Maybe it's R AND OB?

    Can you name all the Seven Deadly Sins? "What's in the box!" Har, classic cinema.

    Welp, hope y'all have a great Wednesday!

    Two F's
    RooMonster
    DarrinV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fully cracked up at my desk at work reading the KEGELS comment

      Delete
  14. Funny, I was focused on trying to figure out how the theme answers related to the revealer, and didn’t realize the came-saw-conquered sequence was in the clues themselves. I think I got the themers mostly from crosses, so I barely noticed the clues themselves. Cute puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
  15. EasyEd8:04 AM

    HOKAS have been around a long time and provide all kinds of size variations to make a good fit. Even the IT tech who came to fix our internet connection yesterday was wearing a pair that we compared with the pair my wife was wearing. Agree with Rex that NOSTRADAMUS, Caesar, and KENJENNINGS make an unlikely trio. In one of those quizzes where you have to pick out “which one doesn’’t fit?”, he would be an easy choice. BRETT had a tricky clue—got it from the crosses, completely missed the word play. SNES was a woe, and not helped by the awkward DIGIN cross.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So there's a basketball star crossing a Jeopardy star, with a brand of chips thrown in--none of which I knew. I eventually recalled seeing TAKIS in an earlier puzzle, but I had no hope of getting that J. AnA; or AdA seemed more likely. I finally had to search for "Jeopardy 74" and there it was.

    The theme was fine, but I didn't really like putting the English translations right there in the clues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:11 AM

      It is definitely inside “a libretto”—the “a” is unnecessary but it makes the surface-level wordplay work. The clue has a “?” for a reason.

      Delete
    2. I also had a natick at the J of AJA/JENNINGS. I might have recognized JENNINGS if I hadn’t had AS If instead of AS IN. Alas. My Jeopardy watching is nearly as deficient as my football & basketball viewing. Recognized the chips from past puzzles, but didn’t recall which consonant went in the middle.

      Delete
  17. Anonymous8:41 AM

    I was very sleepy when I solved the puzzle late last night. It was my 588th consecutive solve and my personal best time for a Wednesday puzzle, 8:29. So, for me? 5 Stars!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous8:56 AM

    I conquered this wonderful puzzle.🎈🎈🎊🎊

    ReplyDelete
  19. Why was the myrmecologist kicked out of the serenity-seekers group? Too ANTSY.

    ENVIES:exvies::enclave:EXCLAVE. Don't even ask about an autoclave.

    I've been trying to think of well-known people that could be used with "I came ...." and I think you might have to find a porn star. Linda Lovelace, perhaps?

    So now we have GORE featuring in slasher films. Does Tipper know?

    I'm DIGIN the off-beat theme. Thanks, Emily Biegas and Sala Wanetick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:58 AM

      Been trying for years, since I went to see the "meaty" The Thing with a vegetarian, to get "gorenography" into the zeitgeist. Help me out, folks!

      Delete
    2. DAVinHOP11:33 AM

      @Egs, likely not Linda Lovelace, but perhaps Ron Jeremy; although won't (or need to?) go into the rationale and there's a Rubicon the NYT certainly won't cross.

      Google's first (AI-generated) statement about Jeremy called him a "former adult film actor, pop culture personality and criminal defendant".

      Delete
  20. This was a fun Wednesday for me, on what I usually find a bit meh of a day. Serendipity that my runner son was just moaning about the cost of his fav HOKA shoes, and that I made him spell that weird name cause I didn’t understand what he was saying. It may be time for Costco hearing aids.
    The last empty space in my puzzle was KENJENNINGS and it gave me such a laugh. I like the guy as host, who wouldn’t? But I’m sure I’m not the only one who still yells “Alex Trebek” at the opener every night.
    It’ll take 20 years or more to change the habit of a lifetime but I’m working on it.
    Thanks for the shout out yesterday Kitchef! I’m missing the splendid Loren, Nancy, and the never forgotten LudyJyn and Gill, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO great to see you here, Hartley!!!!!!! Missed your comment yesterday -- I don't read the comments as often and as dependably as I did when I was commenting here -- but I'll go back and find it now. Welcome back!!!!

      Delete
    2. Alex Trebek? I'm still vibing Art Fleming!

      Delete
  21. Not on my wavelength today. The classic quote didn't click until I had nearly every entry down for the revealer and synapses weren't firing on all cylinders this morning for me to see what was going on.
    Thanks @Rex for clearing it all up. Often for me, when the gimmick is in the clues and not the answers, I fail miserably, and that was the case today. That's a Hugh thing, not a puzzle thing and the solve today was pleasant enough.
    Had a bunch of hiccups. KENJENNINGS is not front of brain for me, same with TAKIS, so that themer took some time. Like someone else, I had *dice* instead of the correct TAPE and kept that for a *very* long time which held me up in a bunch of ways. Also threw down *Nike* instead of HOKA but appreciated the bit of trickery with the K in the same spot.
    Some nice in-the-language fill with ITSAGO and DIGIN and some cute cluing on SODA.
    Not my cuppa but an impressive theme and a pleasant solve. Thank you Emily and Sala!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anyone else start with First instead of FLUKE for 25D "It's unlikely to happen again"?

    I had Ocher instead of OCHRE for a split second, and hesitated on TAKIS, which I've never seen, but otherwise the puzzle was quite whooshy, if not very scintillating.

    I remember seeing the preview for EDEN and thinking, "Ugh, this looks terrible; is this really a Ron Howard film?"

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous9:48 AM

    Natick::- HOKA KEGELS. Boo hiss

    ReplyDelete
  24. Was sailing along until I got to the revealer and since I had GIBE for "gets along with" the beginning of the quote made zero sense, but when the VIDIVICI part finally showed up the light came on. Finally. No other real problems that weren't fixed by crosses--SNES (ew), DAL, TAKIS, which we still don't have around here, and EDEN as clued. Fairly obscure for a Wednesday. Anyone with a passing interest in running has probably heard of HOKAs, Glad I bought my last pair of running shoes before they cost this much.

    I did wonder if people without children would know about KEGELS. I know without childbirth classes I never would have.

    Interesting Wednesday, EB and SW. Kind of a choppy grid but Eventually Became clear and I Stuck With it until the revealer, which I liked very much. Thanks for all the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:07 AM

      Kegels are also recommended for men with bladder control issues. Better you shouldn’t know.

      Delete
  25. Anonymous10:02 AM

    Monday time but enjoyed it - more fun as I descended further, nice revealer.
    Names are new to me- thanks you two ,and let's do it again

    ReplyDelete
  26. I dig Ken Jennings so was happy to see that. He reminds me of Rex. Broad base of knowledge and good music taste. Eire made me think of Glen Hansard. Heartbreaking. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This puzzle actually had me engrossed & enjoying. Good to see Ken Jennings.
    Thank you Ladies :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous10:31 AM

    No criticism of AGO and ITSAGO? Getting soft!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Easy, more of a Tuesday for me.

    I did not know AJA and EDEN (hi @everyone).

    Costly erasure - gIBE before VIBE (before reading the reveal clue).

    Not much junk, clever/funny theme, liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good puz spoiled by -en - ennings crossing a chip & a basketball player I've never heard of either. boo hiss!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. My kealoa today was TBa before TBD. And I had zone 51. Thanks to BRETT for clearing up that zone.

    I spent some time trying to think of a milk-producing animal that started with S and was 5 letters long - oh, SPAIN is the source of that cheese.

    Emily and Sala, thanks for a fine Wednesday puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy Freude12:45 PM

      I tried Sheep before SPAIN. And gIBE before VIBE (hola, Pablo!).

      Delete
  32. Anonymous12:38 PM

    I came, I JIBEd, then I VIBEd.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Kinda enjoyed the IMAGE of Caesar as a PARTYCRASHER.
    Enough no-knows to make this rodeo just a bit of a challenge.

    staff weeject pick: AJA. One of the no-know crew, but nice to meet her. I'm only well-acquainted with the Indiana Fever gals. We watch most all of their games.

    Kinda liked the BRETT clue's weird musical approach. Also am always happy to get an AVOCADO. PuzEatinSpouse had Avocado toast & eggs at the breakfast place, this mornin. We worked together on the puz, while we waited for our chow. M&A got to practice his upside-down readin & writin. S, N, O, and I are extra-easy ones to write. Had to think over that upside-down J, tho.

    Got stuck on Roll the DICE for a few extra nanoseconds.
    Neat KAPPA clue.

    Thanx for gangin up on us, Ms. Biegas & Wanetick darlins. And thanx for that gimme KARL, right outta the chute. Good work.

    Masked & Anonymo1U [s]

    p.s.
    Runt puzzle:
    **gruntz**

    M&A

    ReplyDelete
  34. This might be a puzzle for Nancy (former commenter) as I remember her saying something to the effect “if you can’t find the theme in the puzzle look to the clues”.

    ReplyDelete
  35. In spite of being unsure of several of the Proper Nouns that others have mentioned, I still found this to be significantly easier than yesterday's puzzle, and the easiest Wednesday in many moons.

    But I'm always glad to see KEN JENNINGS, and I'm surprised that it's only his second-ever appearance in the NYTXW. That's even though, like @Hartley 70, my brain still tells me that the introductory phrase "Here is the host of Jeopardy..." can only be properly followed by "Alex Trebek!"

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, this was smooth and easy until I put in the last letter and did not get the Happy Pencil. Of course, I had HOLA crossing LEGELS at square 29, never having heard of either HOKA or KEGELS. (I figured the exercise was probably a "Leg el", meaning you make an L shape with your leg?) I had to click Reveal Incorrect Letters, and then to add insult to injury I had to run the alphabet. Humiliating.

    The only real typeovers were unfortunately attached, for 55 and 56 down I first had LUNCH and SIENA. It hurt that 69 across is the ridiculous looking SNES.

    Oh yeah, the theme... ummm... a bit weird until I came here and realized the beginning of the themer clues is the English translation of the revealer! Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  37. More like a Tuesday for me. Just rambled through with little or no resistance.

    HOKAS were a gimme. I was gifted a pair about a year ago by my oldest son who was visiting from Australia and didn’t have room in his luggage to tale them back. Weirdly, my 3 sons and I all have the same shoe size. That used to be a problem when one of them, faced with the problem of what to wear to a formal event, would plunder my closet and make off with a pair of my expensive Allen Edmonds wingtips and return them in terrible shape. But this shared shoe size turned out to be an advantage this time because, when I found I didn’t like the HOKAS, I just passed them on.

    Why do I not like HOKAS when so many others love them? Because there is so much sponge in the soles that I cannot feel the ground. I have neuropathy from the knees down and have to use a cane for balance. When I don those thick, bouncy things with the bevelled heels I don’t know where I’m stepping, or even if I am stepping. Good for runners, maybe, but quite dangerous for me. Gimme a pair of Vans skateboarding shoes any day.

    @Roo. Regarding the MFA. I have one of those things. It could be an insult. I think it means Master of F**k All.

    ReplyDelete
  38. @okanaganer. You've just forced me to go sort through my vast repository of oil colours to see why your SIENA entry looked wrong. The colour is Sienna, named after, I assume, the town of Siena. I'm going to have to go look this up now.

    ReplyDelete
  39. My granddaughter will be over the moon that her beloved TAKIS made the grid!! I can’t wait to ask her “what has a ‘Blue Heat’’ flavor?” so she can have her eye roll moment at my expense. “Grandma, how can you not remember my favorite flavor of TAKIS?!” The pleasures of being a grandparent. She loves artificially blue flavored food - so gross. But I have taught her to read labels and to eschew all carcinogenic food dyes and chemicals.

    So, Sunday we had the MARIO theme that nearly sent me down the tubes in a bad way. I can’t remember a puzzle - especially a Sunday - that gave me so much pushback in the theme entries. Today we’re right in my wheelhouse for theme and general entries. Yep, way too much gunk (Hi Gary!) for my taste, but I did enjoy the theme and the speedy solve.

    Put me on the avid Jeopardy fan category. Been watching consistently since 1964 with Art Fleming. And of course, it was Gran who got me hooked. If I raced home from school, I could make it just at the first commercial break. Grab a snack and settle in to watch Gran beat the champs to the buzzer many, many times every day. I guess you can see the origins of any decent habit I may have acquired, and I thank Gran every day for loving me so ferociously. As the “neglected middle child,” I needed it.

    This was very easy and lots of fun. KEGELS made me laugh. Thanks Emily and Sala. I hope you enjoyed your collaboration as much as I did and will do it again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous2:39 PM

    Had jibe before vibe and wracked my brain for a French quotation for 58 across. “Je nais something” Oy

    ReplyDelete