Thursday, July 30, 2026

Lumpsucker eggs / THU 7-30-26 / Developer of a geocentric model of the universe / Where Dante's path to paradise begins / Fripp & ___ (musical duo) / Bob who painted "happy little trees" / Balkan state that's been independent since 2008 / Seller of knickknacks / Like the name of former soccer star Mark De Man

Constructor: Joel Woodford

Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium (oversized at 16x15)


THEME: NATO ALPHABET (65A: Communication aid that helps make sense of the italicized clues) — clues must be read as [letter] + definition; in the answer, the [letter] is written in its NATO ALPHABET form:

Theme answers:
  • CHARLIE SHEEN (18A: Cluster) ("C" = CHARLIE, "luster" = SHEEN)
  • ALPHA MALE (27A: Agent) ("A" = ALPHA, "gent" = MALE)
  • SIERRA CLUB (40A: Steam) ("S" = SIERRA, "team" = CLUB)
  • GOLF RANGE (56A: Gambit) ("G" = GOLF, "ambit" = RANGE)
Word of the Day: DARIÉN National Park (32D: Panama's ___ National Park) —
Darién National Park
(Spanish: Parque Nacional Darién) is a World Heritage Site in Panama. It is about 325 kilometers (202 mi) from Panama City, is the most extensive of all national parks of Panama, and is one of the most important World Heritage Sites in Central America. // The Darién National Park is a natural bridge spanning North and South America. It is located in southernmost Panama in Darién province and its southern boundary extends along 90 percent of the Colombia–Panama border. It lies between the Serranía del Darién range, which parallels the Caribbean Sea 16 kilometers (9.9 mi) to the north-east, and the Pacific Ocean coast. It is adjacent to the Los Katíos National Park in Colombia. // In 1972, an area of 700,000 hectares (1,700,000 acres) became part of the Alto Darién Protection Forest. In 1980, the area was declared a national park. In 1983, an area of 859,333 hectares (2,123,460 acres) became a UNESCO biosphere reserve. The park covers 5,790 km2 (2,240 mi2). // The Darien National Park has myriad habitats, ranging from rocky coastlines to sandy beaches to mangroves. The park also has expansive swamps and large areas of tropical forests. It is rich in biodiversity and contains numerous threatened species. It has been designated an Important Bird Area (IBA) by BirdLife International. // The park is one of the few examples remaining in the world of a protected area inhabited by humans. Two native tribes dwell in the park. [...] The park is notable for the Darién Gap, the only break in the Pan-American Highway on its intercontinental path from Argentina to Alaska. (wikipedia)
• • •

Just the other day I was solving a cryptic crossword with my wife, Penelope, and one of the clues contained the phrase "after golf" or something like that and the answer ended up being "hotel." Or maybe the answer was "golf" and the clue had "one in front of hotel" or something like that, I forget. The point is, I dimly remembered that "golf" was "G" in the NATO ALPHABET, but I had totally forgotten that "H" was "hotel." Of course, after I figured it all out, I remember the title of the Wilco album, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, a title I'd never given much thought, but one which, I now realized, contained three letters of the NATO ALPHABET ("Yankee" and "Foxtrot" were recognizable to me as such—"Hotel" was not). Penelope had no idea that "golf" = "G." Seems like one of the lesser known NATO ALPHABET members. Anyway, as with so many things you "never see," I have now seen "golf = G" not once but twice since then—that's three times total in under a week. Bizarre. If you solve cryptic crosswords, then this theme was probably easy for you to crack (as it was for me). Cryptic clues often make tricky use of words to represent letters. I will admit that I didn't see the theme at first, though. I got CHARLIE SHEEN entirely (easily) from crosses, and then stared at [Cluster] like "... huh?" I was trying to find shared letters or something, I don't know what. Whatever I was doing, it wasn't working. But when I got the second themer, ALPHA MALE (which I inferred from ALPHA alone), I saw it: "gent" = MALE! So that means "A" = ALPHA, and therefore [Agent] = ALPHA MALE. I looked back at CHARLIE SHEEN, said "aha!" to myself (quietly, Penelope's still asleep), and moved on. The remaining themers were a cinch. I enjoyed the little frisson of revelation, that "cracked it!" moment. That was fun. What I didn't like, though, was the revealer. It's so painfully straightforward and descriptive, and in my case, as someone who solved top-to-bottom and figured out the theme on my own before the halfway mark, it was completely unnecessary. Depressingly anticlimactic. I was hoping for either no revealer ("you're on your own, suckers!") or something involving clever wordplay of some kind. To end with a plain old explanation, one that I already knew, was a bit of a letdown.


Are you one of those people who jump down to the bottom of the grid to try to get the revealer when they encounter a mystery theme, or do you typically power through and let nature / fate take its course, hoping to work it out on your own? I've been both people. I'm kind of glad I was the latter kind of person today, though, because working it out on your own is a Great feeling, way better than being told. Part of the reason the non-theme parts of the puzzle are pretty easy today is precisely so solvers can hack their way to the theme answers without understanding the theme, and then try to work out the clue-answer connection for themselves. I thought the clues were pitched just right for that—easyish, but still, for the most part, interesting. You get a couple of nice, longer non-theme answers (TALK RADIO, CURIO SHOP), lots of 7s in the corners, and then short fill that rarely feels tedious or stale. The clues have some moments of real cleverness. I enjoyed most of the "?" clues—[Took one's breath away?] for EXHALED, and [Biblical second coming?] for EVE, and especially [Go for gold?] for TAN, which I had as PAN, because of course I did, you PAN for gold—at least you do if you're an olde-tymey miner during the Gold Rush days. Very little that was unknown to me today except for DARIÉN National Park, which I was really happy to learn about (see "Word of the Day," above). I'm now wondering if my commitment to birding will grow to such proportions that I will have to visit DARIÉN. It's apparently a legendary bird-watching spot, or, as I learned from wikipedia, an "Important Bird Area" (IBA). Put IBA in a puzzle, you wingless cowards! We all know what it means now, let's go, HOP to it!


Bullets:
  • 26D: Org. leader (PRES.) — left that "S" blank at first because I thought they might try PREZ on me.
  • 17A: Like the name of former soccer star Mark De Man (APT) — in soccer, marking your man basically means guarding him. It's a defensive strategy.
  • 30D: Where Dante's path to paradise begins (HELL) — sometimes, it's possible to know too much about a subject. Me, today, in response to this clue: "... dark wood. DARK WOOD! Why won't 'dark wood" fit?! Selva oscura, dark wood, come on!" I would also have accepted "shadowed forest." These are the first lines of Inferno (i.e. HELL) (tr. Mandelbaum):
1 Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
2 mi ritrovai per una selva oscura
3 ché la diritta via era smarrita.
[When I had journeyed half of our life’s way,
I found myself within a shadowed forest,
for I had lost the path that does not stray.]
  • 47A: Bob who painted "happy little trees" (ROSS) — a crossword staple, a gimme. There were a lot of proper nouns today (AVA, CHAN, ERMA, all three of the 7-letter Downs in the NE corner, etc.), but they were generally familiar, easy to get, and generally inconspicuous. Again, DARIÉN was the only one I'd never heard of (I've probably seen it in a crossword before and just forgot about it ... hmm. Looks like for the past quarter century, DARIEN has appeared only a few times, and only as the Connecticut town. The very first clue for DARIEN, though (in 1943) was [Gulf between coasts of Columbia and Panama]. The Panama, non-Connecticut version of DARIEN also used to be clued via a line from Keats: the last line of "On First Looking Into Chapman's Homer," in fact (a poem I haven't read since 1989ish). In his awe at the beauty he beholds, Keats compares himself to the explorer Cortez beholding the Pacific for the first time, "Silent, upon a peak in DARIEN."
Much have I travell'd in the realms of gold,
And many goodly states and kingdoms seen;
Round many western islands have I been
Which bards in fealty to Apollo hold.
Oft of one wide expanse had I been told
That deep-brow'd Homer ruled as his demesne;
Yet did I never breathe its pure serene
Till I heard Chapman speak out loud and bold:
Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
When a new planet swims into his ken;
Or like stout Cortez when with eagle eyes
He star'd at the Pacific—and all his men
Look'd at each other with a wild surmise—
Silent, upon a peak in Darien. (poetryfoundation.org)
  • 63A: Fripp & ___ (musical duo) (ENO) — could easily have made Robert Fripp the "Word of the Day" (put FRIPP in a puzzle, you prog rock-phobic cowards!) (he was the founder of the band King Crimson, the paradigmatic prog rock band, although Fripp & ENO's music is ambient). 

  • 7D: Joel follows it (HOSEA) — as constructor's self-references go ... I don't mind this one. You gotta use some biblical crosswordese, may as well have fun with it. Clue is accurate, which is all that matters.
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

39 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:03 AM

    I liked the puzzle, but it has one major problem - A is Alfa, not Alpha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:56 AM

      Yes, this threw me too. Kind of annoying that it made it through the editing process. They needed to think of a clue that got to ALFA ROMEO, or use a different letter entirely.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:12 AM

      Nope, look it up: ALPHA also correct

      Delete
    3. Anonymous7:22 AM

      Nope, not according to NATO themselves. It's spelled Alfa. Sure, it's phonetic, so Alpha also works, but the official alphabet is clear on ALFA.

      https://www.nato.int/en/about-us/nato-history/history-by-theme/symbols-of-nato/nato-phonetic-alphabet

      Delete
    4. Something like ALFA ROMEO also would have avoided the ALPHA dupe in the revealer.

      Delete
  2. Keats famously seems to have confounded Cortez with Balboa, the actual relevant Spanish explorer

    ReplyDelete

  3. Medium. Would have been Easy if I'd gone the bottom-up, revealer-first route. Nice "Aha moment".
    * * * * _

    Overwrites:
    Right off the hop, morph before RESET for the 1A complete change.
    Then I decided that 1A had to be wrong because the church leader at 1D had to be dEacOn (RECTOR).
    ova before ROE for the 9D eggs. I have no idea what a Lumpsucker is. Other than now I know it's a fish.
    For "go for gold" at 21A, I had @Rex pAN before TAN.
    rah before OLE for "Bravo!" at 33A.
    My 55D arrogant one was SNObbY before they were SNOTTY.

    WOEs:
    Any definition of DARIEN other than the Connecticut town is lost on me (32D)
    Musical duo Fripp & ENO at 63A (but ENO is common enough in crosswords that it didn't hurt the solve much).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob Mills6:16 AM

    Never understood the trick (what did CHARLIE SHEEN have to do with the NATOALPHABET)?, but somehow solved it on the first try with lucky guesswork. That's a rarity on Thursday for this old-timer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:51 AM

    Once again, the puzzle author cites "italicized clues", which may be in the print edition, but not online. C'mon NYT, fix it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I solved it online, and there were italics.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:38 AM

      They were italicized for me in both the browser and app.

      Delete
    3. The italics weren't in the print edition either, but it really didn't matter much.

      Delete
  6. Again with the cryptic slant in a crossword - I don’t jump to the revealer initially so this was played as a themeless with little to no pushback. I did sense a play on the NATO ALPHABET after the ALPHA - SIERRA pair. SIERRA CLUB is the highlight.

    The Lumineers

    Overall fill was fine. SIDE BET, STONERS, STAND BY are all solid. Cluing angle was a little too cute at times and there seemed to be a bunch of “may be” and “before or after” clues. Straightforward grid - not late week level.

    The Band

    Not my kind of theme - but the overall product resulted in a pleasant enough Thursday morning solve.

    You may be the fate of OPHELIA
    Sleeping and perchance to dream
    Honest to the point of recklessness
    Self-centred to the extreme

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would read a LOT more about the Darien Gap before considering going anywhere near there, Rex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:27 AM

      Agree! I’m surprised he didn’t mention its current infamy.

      Delete
  8. Hey All !
    Neat idea. Took me a bit to figure out. Getting the Revealer helped me with SIERRA CLUB, as was thinking some sort of CLan. But, I i know the NATO ALPHABET (former Army guy here), so got the SIERRA off the S.

    Noticed the 26 wide grid immediately, the ole brain still functioning.

    Lots of open space today. Fill pretty good.

    Thanks for a fun ThursPuz, Joel!

    Hope y'all have a great Thursday!

    One F
    RooMonster
    DarrinV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Har, you know I meant 16 wide grid. Was that a brain misfire, or a fat fingered typo?

      Delete
  9. Anonymous7:29 AM

    I print and solve the hard copy. Printing has been flaky recently. Again today Newspaper Version would not print (gave error message) and Standard Layout printed with nothing italicized. I’d be whining if today were not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got CHARLIE SHEEN from the crosses, wandered around the grid filling in what I could, noticed that there was something up with the NATO alphabet even before I got the reveal, but still didn’t make the connection.

    I gave it a noble and valiant effort but without understanding the clues for the remaining theme answers it became a slog and I eventually TITT. I made more progress than I “normally” do on a Thursday, but discerning even mildly convoluted theme constructs is my CrossWorld kryptonite. Some improvement today, but I wasn’t able to overcome my nemesis.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We go to Panama fairly often but have not made it to Darien yet. Perhaps most famous for the Darien Gap - where the Pan-American Highway has a 100-mile interruption. Contrary to what you sometimes hear, you can't drive from Alaska to Argentina on the Pan-American; you can only get as far as Darien.

    Famous among birders as a place to reliably see Harpy Eagles.

    Took me until down at GOLF RANGE to get the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is Joel’s third Times puzzle, and all three have been word playgrounds. If you are a wordplay fan and have not done his first two – (8/28/25 and 5/11/26) – get thee to the archives and get cracking. You will thank me for the tip.

    Play? Two bits I loved today aside from the mwah theme:
    • ROE has appeared in the Times puzzle almost 700 times, nearly always given a bland direct clue, but Joel zhuzhed its clue up with the silly fun-to-say “lumpsucker”. Never anything like that in a ROE clue in all Crosslandia before. Bravo!
    • [Biblical second coming?] for EVE. Even after filling it in from crosses, I still had to think about it, and when I cracked it, I not only blurted a huge aha, but bowed down to the cleverness.

    This was one of those outings with sticky areas as well as whooshy ones, a combination I love, but above all for me was the pure delight in the wordplay.

    You are definitely in my radar, Joel, and thank you once again for a splendid outing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had figured out that the theme answers were S team, A gent, etc., but I needed the revealer to see that the letters were the NATO alphabet. Until I got that, I was pretty annoyed by the seeming randomness of the answers, but that made it much better.

    RP GAMES before PC. Never played either one, but I guess that means you can play them without having to buy a Playstation or yesterday's NSES?

    That park was tough until I remembered the poem Rex quotes, which has always stuck in my mind. But I have to admit that I thought it was by Pope. I don't know the scholarship about the Cortez error -- my guess is that Keats thought fitting the meter was more important than historical detail, but that's just a guess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous7:51 AM

    I can’t recall a puzzle with so many misdirects. However, I was on Joel’s wavelength.🎈🎈🎊🎊

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’m surprised no one called out the duplication with “alpha” and “alphabet”.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got the themers through crosses and couldn’t figure out how they were connected to the clues. The revealer was no help. But I enjoyed the puzzle anyway, and now that I “get” it, I think it’s pretty clever.

    ReplyDelete
  17. GOLF RANGE seemed tortured to me. Golf course? Yes. Driving range? Yes. Golf range...? Ehhh.

    I also didn't like two alphas in the same puzzle

    ReplyDelete
  18. For fans of PJ O'Rourke, I highly recommend PT O'LEMY, avid bicyclist and founder of Epi Cycles.

    Man in front of International House of Pancakes, Mexico City: ¿Que es eso?
    Amigo: IHOPESO es.

    Girl: Stop! I'm not ready to go all the way.
    Boy: OK. But can we at least mess around a little?
    Girl: What'd you have in mind?
    Boy: OPHELIA.

    This was Foxtrot-Uniform-November but I agree with @Rex that it was so easy to crack the code that I wished there were a better revealer. Anyway, thanks, Joel Woodford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. +1 for the IHOP silliness. Ja ja ja.

      Delete
  19. DAVinHOP8:52 AM

    Didn't use the revealer at all. In fact, we only got the theme (Cluster = Charlie + Luster, etc) after reading Rex.

    So the theme answers were like solving Downs only. With a bunch of letters in place, CHARLIE SHEEN, ALPHA MALE and SIERRA CLUB became obvious. GOLF RANGE was last (more often called a driving range, but no harm done. No way the theme answers were gettable from the clues. That there was very little in the way of obscurity helped a ton.

    Really cringed at duplicate ALPHAs, regardless of correct spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Liked this one very much for reasons already cited by both @Lewis and @Rex. I had a similar (and Joyful) *aha* moment when it clicked with CHARLIESHEEN. It was loads of fun figuring out the other themers and I thought the revealer was just fine. Yes, a bit straight forward but I wasn't let down at all.
    The GOLF for "G" in GOLFRANGE is new to me, happy to learn that today. I threw in *GOLd" at first, I figured that was as good as any Nato word for "G" until NFL finally clicked, nice cluing there by the way.
    Speaking of nice cluing, big shout out to both EVE and ROE side by side. Two kind of ho hum short fill entries made exciting by brilliant cluing! That stuff makes me happy!
    LOCAL and PLACES side by side is also nice. Some of my favorite haunts are LOCAL PLACES.
    I also appreciate an answer for a clue about Minecraft and World of Warcraft that was somewhat easy to figure out. I'll yell proudly from the roof tops that I know nothing about that universe and I'm thankful that Joel gave me something I can work with.
    Some nice long non-themers as well as @Rex pointed out. In-the-language fill like OLDPRO, TALKRADIO, IHOPESO, GALPALS, and CURIOSHOP all shined for me.
    A little hiccup in the SE as I had SIDEBar instead of the correct SIDEBET. OVERT and PATSY were just tricky enough to hold me up down there for a few but it was a nice feeling when it clicked.
    "Nice feeling" is also how I'll describe my solve today - thank you Joel for the good vibes today!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous8:59 AM

    I did not like this puzzle Sam I Am

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rachel9:04 AM

    Ugh. I don't know why I haven't bothered to just learn the NATO alphabet by now. Oh yeah, because it sounds boring as hell and I don't feel like it. Guess I'll just keep struggling through these puzzles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:12 AM

      Your openmindedness and curiosity are inspiring

      Delete
  23. Anonymous9:14 AM

    Are spirits downed or drowned?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Having grown up in Darien--the Connecticut one--I always wondered how it managed to get named for an isthmus in Panama. Apparently it was a resolution to the naming dispute that cropped up when the area split off from Stamford to become a separate township. A number of families wanted to claim naming rights for themselves, and rather than giving it to any of them the consensus was to name it for Thaddeus Bell, the assemblyman who pushed the incorporation through in 1820, only he was apparently the one person who DIDN'T want it, and altered the incorporation document by crossing out "Bellville" and writing in "Darien." No one really knows why. It was a coastal town with a lot of seagoing merchants, captains and the like, so people gravitate toward that as some vague explanation. But that strikes me as an attempt to put a logical face on something that is fundamentally whimsical, leaning toward the absurd. I note that 1820 is suspiciously close to the publication date of Keats's poem (1818), and I'd like to think Keats had something to do with it, but alas he was an obscurity in England, let alone across the Atlantic. Most likely it's just that Keats used the name for the exotic cachet, same as Bell. Even if there's something silly about it, especially as it evolved into the upscale bedroom suburb of top-end corporate executives and their McMansions it is today.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous9:25 AM

    I missed your "number of days without a Star Wars reference" today!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just went where the puzzle took me, looking for toe holds, and started in the NE, which was easy but left me with AMALE. Next I saw Jackie CHAN and went there which led to GOLF something. Dead end. Eventually went over to the SE abut SNOOTY instead of SNOTTY kept me from seeing ALPHABET for a while, eventually saw the NATO part, went back up to "A gent" which was now of course ALPHAMALE, and way easy after that. Kind of a reverse OFL solve but still satisfying to get the trick.

    DARIEN i remembered from the Keats poem and as an English major had the mistake pointed out to me. ERMA i never remember and there's another ENO? Must be Brian's brother. No other real no-knows but some wonderful misdirects with the cluing, as others have pointed out.

    Really enjoyed this one JW. Congrats on a Job Well done and thanks for all the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Trinch9:31 AM

    Love it when the stars align. I had "In the Court of the Crimson King" playing when the "Fripp & ____ (Musical Duo)" clue presented itself.

    ReplyDelete
  28. EasyEd9:39 AM

    I was misdirected at every turn and went down every rabbit hole like a dumb bunny. Loved the clue for EVE and spent three years in bed with the NATOALPHABET, but still struggled with this one. One example, was focused forever on Cambridge, England. Guess I don’t have to say any more!

    ReplyDelete