Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Interception returned for a touchdown / TUE 10-6-26 / Strategic disk game played on a vertical board / Feline adoption option / Bank with a lion in its logo / Coin dated with the year of its country's imperial era

Constructor: Adam Vincent

Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium

THEME: ACTION / FIGURE (67A: With 68-Across, posable plaything ... or a verbal hint to each half of 4-, 7- and 10-Down and 46-Across) — four familiar two-word phrases where the first word is an "action" and the second word is a "figure" (i.e. a number):

Theme answers:
  • PICK SIX (4D: Interception returned for a touchdown)
  • TAKE FIVE (7D: Break for a few minutes)
  • HANG TEN (10D: Surf with one's toes off the front of the board)
  • CONNECT FOUR (46A: Strategic disk game played on a vertical board)
Word of the Day: PEAKY (20A: Pale and sickly) —
  • adjective Sickly; peaked. [emph. mine]
  • adjective Characterised by peaks. (wiktionary, via wordnik)
• • •

Strange, but in a good way. From the concept to the execution to the grid shape, everything about this theme feels original, imaginative. It took me a few beats to understand it, though. I came down the west side and ended up at the revealer quite quickly. Despite the fact that I already had two theme answers in place at that point, I thought I had only one—CONNECT FOUR—and based on that alone, I couldn't figure out how ACTION/FIGURE worked. The "each half" part of the clue was throwing me—I was expecting both CONNECT and FOUR to be "doing" the same thing, but couldn't figure out how either one related to ACTION/FIGURE. I think the revealer would actually have been clearer if they'd just left the whole "half" part out of it. "... or a possible verbal hint to blah, blah, blah." The entire phrase "ACTION/FIGURE" is the "verbal hint." Yes, the first half is the "action" and the second half is the "figure," but you can see that. The "half" business isn't important. And for me, initially, it was a distraction. It was only when I went and found the other theme answers I had in place (PICK SIX), that the "half" business became clear. Not "both halves" but "each half"—each was relating to a different part of the phrase ACTION/FIGURE. One, the action; two, the figure. Got it. Liked it.


One thing I did not like—that made me literally stop and exclaim (in a whisper—my wife is still sleeping), "Noooo!": the clue on SENSE (24A: One of six, supposedly, for a seer). The clue itself is just fine, or would be, if the answer to that clue didn't cross the "SIX" in PICK SIX, and answer I had just written in. Bad enough to dupe the "six" in the clue, but to dupe it so close to the SIX in the grid—right on top of it. That seemed like such an editorial own-goal that I briefly thought there was gonna be some kind of "six" theme, or number theme. I guess I was right about the number theme, sort of, only duplication of the numbers had nothing to do with it. So that "six" in the SENSE clue was extremely jarring. Less jarring, but still disruptive, was "PEAKY," a word I've only ever heard preceding the word "Blinders" in a well-regarded TV show. I had the "PEA-" part and thought "OK ... why won't 'PEAKED' fit? Is there a rebus? An 'ED' rebus? That seems ... unlikely." I did not know PEAKY was a synonym for (bastardization of?) PEAKED, so I wrote in that "Y" with some trepidation at first, but YEN ended up rock solid, so ... PEAKY it is. "PEAKED" (pronounced with two syllables, like "NAKED") is a word I associate heavily, maybe exclusively, with my MOM. I think she's the only person I've ever heard say it—when I was a child, when either my sister or I didn't look well. "You're looking a little PEAKED." I like the word PEAKED. PEAKY, I like les, but is is, in fact, a word, nothing I can do about common USAGE, sadly. 

[My city weighs a TON (423D: Suffix in the names of many U.S. cities)]

There's maybe a little more gunk than I would like in the short stuff today (CSI ONO ARIA ING MAI NGOS SHH ASEA IFI), but it's holding together a theme that's pretty hard to pull off, architecturally—two 7s, an 8, and an 11 are not gonna fit in any kind of standard theme answer arrangement, so the puzzle gets creative. None of the gunk bothered me nearly as much as RIDES ON did (39A: Gallops into the sunset, say). Something about the clue just seems off. Riding into the sunset implies a conclusion (to a movie, specifically), whereas riding on is just ... continuing on one's way. Which, I guess, is technically what the person galloping into the sunset would be doing ... OK, maybe the clue is fine, on a literal level, but I still feel like there's some kind of temporal wobble here, a concluding vs. continuing incongruity created by the whole "riding into the sunset" image.   


Bullets:
  • 46A: Strategic disk game played on a vertical board (CONNECT FOUR) — I was CONNECT FOUR champion in grade school (5th grade? 6th?). I would sometimes get to class early and play this game with whoever was around. I remember it being like a glorified tic-tac-toe, in that, if you played it right, it was possible to never lose—the worst outcome would be "no-winner." But it's been 45 years since I played, so maybe I'm misremembering how easy it was to master. It's also possible my competition was simply feeble. No offense, guys. We were 11!
  • 35D: Spur-of-the-moment (IMPROMPTU) — when I got the FIGURE part of ACTION/FIGURE, I remember thinking "What the hell word are they gonna use for the terminal 'U' in the Down." Figured it would some phrase ending in "YOU." Then saw it was gonna end "-TU" and thought "oh that doesn't bode well ... what is that, some long Latin phrase?" but then pow, IMPROMPTU came along and surprised me. What a great word. 
  • 45D: Starbucks keepsake, perhaps (MUG) — why would you shill for Starbucks like this? Who gets "keepsakes" from Starbucks? "Ah, this MUG reminds me of that time we went to Starbucks. Remember, honey?" "The one in the airport or the one in the mall?" "No, the one across from Walmart. I can't believe you've forgotten already!? Do our visits to ubiquitous coffee shops mean nothing to you!?"

That's all for today. See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

78 comments:


  1. Easy-Medium. Liked it a lot less than @Rex did. I found the theme to be less than scintillating.
    * * _ _ _

    Overwrites:
    At 21D, sEN before YEN.
    My Starbucks keepsake was a cUp before it was a MUG (45D).
    Silly me. I thought the genre of "the Godfather of Soul" would be soul. Nope. According to 50A, it's FUNK.
    Then at 56D, my subject of introspection was Soul before it was SELF.

    WOEs:
    PEAKY as clued (20A) prevented the happy music at first.

    My home town was so small, all we had was a market, a gas station, a one-screen movie ... and six Starbucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:44 AM

      In no universe is James Brown mainly associated with any word other than soul

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:53 AM

      Except in the universe that is the second sentence of his Wikipedia page: “The central progenitor of funk music and a major figure of 20th-century music.” I get why people wrote SOUL, valid, but the idea that FUNK is wrong or even the littlest bit of a reach is sheer ignorance.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous10:15 AM

      Anon 9;44
      Where do you think Parliament Funkaddlic got Bootsie Collins from?
      Hint it rhymes woth Bames Crown’s band

      Delete
    4. Anonymous11:45 AM

      Funk and soul are both perfectly legitimate answers. “Make it funky!”

      Delete
    5. Mary Jane12:38 PM

      Plunked in funk without even thinking!

      Delete
  2. I also felt the usage of "keepsake" to be weird. My wife actually does have a couple of Starbucks-branded travel mugs, but it's not as if they make her nostalgic for Starbucks.

    I found this puzzle to be extremely easy- lots of fun, lengthy answers, but I was able to get basically all of them from either just their first letter or from nothing at all. I'd call it "Monday-easy", but I finished below my average Monday time, so maybe "easy-Monday-easy".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Starbuck's branded travel mug because it was a fairly narrow cylindrical shape that would actually fit into the ridiculously small cup holder in my Italian sports coupe. Until today I had forgotten the brand name imprinted on it. It works.

      Delete
  3. I like seeing ING sharing the puzzle with HAYDN, because that’s what his famous Surprise Symphony was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this observation, @Lewis.

      Delete
  4. I noticed that we had RUPEE and YEN and FRANC, so almost an international currency mini-theme. Trying to think of a way to make that go with the FIGURE part of ACTION FIGURE, but I can’t come up with anything clever at this hour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I am obligated to comment here that my wife collects state themed mugs from Starbucks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:47 AM

    Too hard for downs-only but still easy, Not a fan of PEAKY as clued.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:54 AM

    35 Down. Impromptwo. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see a somewhat nuanced and layered theme early week. There’s nothing earth shattering here but it all works well together and presents an attractive display.

    TAKE FIVE

    The overall fill runs hot and cold - Rex summarizes nicely. The medium longs are real good - RESCUE CAT, PICK SIX, IMPROMPTU are too notch. The self-reverence with THE TIMES I’ve come to expect but dislike it. The shorts here felt gluey - the grid center is highly segmented so it forces a lot of it. SORER, IF I, ING?

    NAKED As We Came

    Enjoyable Tuesday morning solve. Beautiful early fall day - going to play hooky this afternoon and catch the tide.

    JESUS - The Missing Years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting Take Five. I have that album. Love it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link to Take Five.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous7:13 AM

    There are location-specific mugs sold at Starbucks. States, cities, theme parks. People will collect *anything*.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Had the same question about a possible rebus for PEAK(ED), and for the gallop clue, because RIDES O(FF) feels like a better fit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:19 AM

    Rides off( into the sunset) would have been much better; if it fit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:23 AM

      $20,000 is better than $20.

      Delete
  12. Terrific concept for a theme, including a revealer that nails it.

    And tight. I don’t think there are many other phrases like the theme answers. All I got is TURN TWO, which is baseball slang for “perform a double play”. But that’s pretty niche, I think. I certainly didn’t know it; I just came across it while trying online to find other theme-like phrases.

    Then, pleasingly fitting the theme words – a pair of sevens, a pair of sixes, an eight and an 11 – in the grid well, there’s grid-building prowess (Hi, @Rex!).

    So, high props to Adam for concept, revealer, tightness, and technique.

    Turning my thumbs up even more are a rare-in-crosswords five-letter palindrome (LEVEL), the gorgeous IMPROMPTU, and a poet I love (RUMI). Not to mention that anything that even obliquely reminds me of “Catch-22” makes me smile.

    So, a heap of feel-good in the box today. Thank you, Adam, for a splendid outing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Sorry about the earlier note: brain glitch.

      Delete
  13. I imagine I'm not alone in having soul before FUNK. Only other overwrite was teal (a bad guess) before NAVY (much better).

    I do enjoy having themers in both across and down answers. Rare but generally these have been entertaining.

    I was really hoping Rex would give us an image of an INANIMATE carbon rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:48 AM

      Yes! He’s the King of Soul

      Delete
  14. Hey All !
    LOL, Rex, your Starbucks soliloquy! Assuming you weren't joking, I take it as the "souvenirs" you can buy at Starbucks, ala a mug or some other paraphernalia.

    Also have trouble accepting RIDES ON as clued. The clue would be better answered RIDES OFF, no? No one RIDES ON into the sunset, they RIDE OFF into the sunset.

    Did like the puz overall. Left/right Symmetry to get yer Themers in. Different kind of Themers, as in the actual entries, not the both-words thingie. Plus an OOMPAH.

    Going back to RIDESON, could've clued it as "Statement from a seasoned cowboy to a newbie?" or somesuch.

    PEAKY is new here also. It seems like it'd mean the opposite. "I'm just PEAKY!"

    Welp, hope y'all have a great Tuesday!

    Four F's
    RooMonster
    DarrinV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DAVinHOP9:52 AM

      @Roo, not just the great Starbucks soliloquy, but the Best in Show clip (even without Catherine O'Hara); great stuff!!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:21 AM

      Who said anything anout a sunset?

      Delete
    3. @Anon 10:21 - 'sunset' is in the clue.

      Delete
  15. I only filled in PEAKY from every cross, after which I looked it up in the dictionary to confirm it was actually a word.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous8:44 AM

    I’m surprised that most people liked it and found it easy. The theme was ho hum as well as the fill: peaky? Funk instead of soul? Unenjoyable . No 🎈for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous8:45 AM

    WHERE IS BUSY BEE!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:01 AM

      So I’m not the only one who thinks Best in Show may be the funniest, most quotable comedy this side of Airplane.

      Delete
    2. You are not. A top ten all-time movie for me.

      Delete
    3. Best in Show is brilliant, one of my favorites.

      Delete
  18. Anonymous8:46 AM

    I have a friend who collects Starbucks mugs on her travels - they are city specific and actually reasonably interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I grew up in a small town (7,034 people, it said on the sign) that had 6 optometrists. So someone made up a rhyme for eact, with lines like "See far with Pfarr; see best with West." Poor Dr. Sekey got "See peaky with Sekey." Even then (the 1950s) it seemed archaic (as well as unkind). But it helped me get that clue.

    I knew at least one person who collected Starbucks MUGs. I also knew someone who collected Hard Rock Cafe tee shirts. And another, of an older generation, who connected silver coffee spoons from different cities she visited. Go figure. And then take action.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with the commenters calling for an ON/OFF switch at 39A.

    Adherent of the three pillars religion who loves the music of "Papa Joseph:" HAYDN Sikh.

    USAGE: 250

    Straighten your shells on the beach: ALIGN in the sand.

    Ride or die, Dad? RIDESON.

    Did you coin the great phrase "temporal wobble" today, RP? It stands (or wobbles) on its own, but can also lead to a euphemism for drunkenness: "Frank had to take a cab home last night. He was temporarily wobbly and unable to drive."

    Last, for the theme (in a Sunday-sized grid)? The Taking of Pelham 123. Doesn't quite work, but loved Martin Balsam.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am in the U.S. Foreign Service and many many of my colleagues collect country/city Starbucks mugs which are actually pretty cool. Plus they used to be large (now they are small so I wouldn’t bother anymore).

    I didn’t have an issue with rides on, because the guy riding off into the sunset is actually riding on to the rest of his life, which is not part of the movie.

    I enjoyed this one and thought the really cool words (yes! impromptu!) made up for the junk which held the fun theme.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How nice to have another fine puzzle to start the week off! As with yesterday's, this one had an interesting theme, good cluing, and very little dreck. I wonder how many had IMPULSIVE before IMPROMPTU; that was about my only hitch.

    I've definitely heard the word PEAKY used as in the clue and love having such a fun word in the puzzle, along with INANIMATE RACCOON MITTS. Nice job, Adam Vincent!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous9:43 AM

    Peaky is a common British word for sickly that I encountered first in Dickens and in PG Wodehouse.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My higher education came at an institution where no one was ever punctual. People called it IMPRROMPTU.

    In Ancient Rome, a PICKSIX scored 9 points.

    A picky little criticism by the Barefoot Contessa would be INASNIT.

    I kinda like jailbirds. In other words, I'm SEMIPRO cons.

    Nice theme. Really great Tuesday puzzle. Thanks, Adam Vincent.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This must have been a bear to construct. The theme impacts pretty much every entry in the grid. I think the constructor did a good job keeping it to Tuesday-level difficulty.

    I always think of people (usually on horseback) as RIDING OFF into the SUNSET. Regional ?

    Hopefully OOMPAH will claw its way onto Gary’s favorite word list - I mean, how can you not like OOMPAH ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:24 AM

      I liked RIDES ON. It reminded me of the Lone Ranger riding on to new adventures.

      Delete
    2. @SouthsideJohnny 9:47 AM
      How could it not be there?! I've tucked OOMPAH in between DEIGN and PATINA five spots below FUNK. All of them are well below OOMPH though who lives happily next to the award winning ERSATZ.

      Delete
    3. @GJ, Wow ERSATZ - that is rarified air indeed. And a PATINA as well ! OOMPAH, my good friend - you can rest easy, you are in good company. Enjoy!

      Delete
  26. Old Ned9:55 AM

    Agree that RIDES off fits 39A better, but the actual answer could be better clued as "Continues on horseback" -- short and sweet as a Tuesday clue should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:13 AM

      "On" in the clue wouldn't work.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous12:13 PM

      “On” is in the answer.

      Delete
  27. DAVinHOP10:09 AM

    Misplaced confidence can be the bane of crossword solving success or what makes doing them intellectually enjoyable.

    Today we went with Shhh at 10A, found it didn't work (HANG TEN confirmed that), only to then write in SHH at 37D.

    Gallops into the sunset...had to be (somethingS) Off, right? So we entered SOFF, which had to be corrected because 12:00 pm isn't high Foon. RIDES ON was a bit MEH as an answer, but better, I suppose, than "What a cowboy does with a horse", which would have had an "Eat a sandwich" vibe.

    Once those mistakes were corrected, the last difficulties were Starbucks MUGs, and PEAKY, both of which already discussed here.

    Overall the theme was clever and both the marquee and other long answers gave the puzzle some sparkle for a Tuesday. Wished in hindsight that we had undertaken it as a Downs only. Easy to say when looking over the nearly-completed puzzle. Enjoyable solve!

    ReplyDelete
  28. CONNECTFOUR, wonderful game. We have the travel version. Haven't played for years, though.

    The game has been solved. The first player can win every time. I found the computer-generated winning strategy on the internet at one time. AI can win every time by going first.

    An OK puzzle. Has JESUS appeared before? Will someone complain about the NYT plugging Christianity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @mathgent 10:18 AM
      Earlier this week we had a puzzle with three Biblical sons in it, and yes, somebody complained about it. I believe Star Wars holds Christianity's beer.

      Delete
  29. I saw James Brown live once, back in the 80's - it was pretty cool, but I had his genre down as "soul" and needed the crosses to cross over to FUNK.

    As Rex pointed out, having the word "half" in the clue for the reveal phrase was confusing, or at least it confused me. Maybe it's because I don't immediately think of a number when I see the word FIGURE. In any case, I needed the theme explained to me, which always takes a bit of joy out of the solve.

    Adam Vincent, thanks for a nice Tuesday crossword!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very similar experience to OFL's, right down to having a mom who said "peaked", CONNECTFOUR was after my childhood games time though, and I started wiht CONNECTFIVE.. Easy fix.

    I'm wth everyone who wants RIDESOFF. Ride on is reserved for JESUS in Ride on in Majesty. I would rather see JESUS clued as one of the Alou brothers, but that's just me and baseball.

    Don't know if our new cat is a RESCUECAT or not. We got her from the humane society so I guess so.

    Nice Tuesday, AV.. A Veritable catalog of ACTION FIGURES, and thanks for all the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous11:03 AM

    Puzzle's trying to keep us quiet today. SHHHUSH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:07 AM

      Or maybe just doesn't care for HAYDN's symphonies.

      Delete
  32. Thank you for the Starbucks clip!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This was pretty cool stuff. After 30 or so years of solving, I'm still not quite savvy enough to consistently notice an interesting looking blank grid, but today I did. I'm not sure how it enhances my solve, but it sure doesn't hurt.

    Very clever theme that made me think a bit more deeply than a typical Tuesday, with a revealer that really does its job well. The themers are all great words on their own and were fun (though fairly easy) to parse. I'm impressed that Adam found that PICKSIX and HANGTEN each have seven letters and ACTION and FIGURE each have six, that is a neat feat of symmetry! As @Lewis mentioned, it must be slim pickings when looking for phrases that fit this theme. So...WOW!

    Like others, I had *soul* before FUNK for James Brown but no complaints, they both work. Brought back some nice memories of when my friends and I drove 3 hours from BinghamTON University in 1981 (maybe '80?) to see the Rolling Stones at Madison Square Garden. James Brown opened up for them and and he killed it. Just a great show. Admittedly, at 17 I went to primarily see the Stones but I'm so happy I got the opportunity to see someone who was such a master at his craft, great stuff.

    CONNECTFOUR took me a while and needed some crosses. I'm not sure why, we still have the game in the house. My younger son played it religiously which means I played it religiously. I almost always lost and I was playing a six year old at the time!

    Some really great fill today with IMPROMPTU and SEMIPRO, that section filled in very nicely. OOMPAH was also fun.

    Like others, RIDEoff is much more pleasing to my ear/eyes than RIDESON, but it's very acceptable, so I'm OK with it.

    Adam, this was fun! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  34. The specificity of your memory astounds me: today with the Best in Show Clip! In defense of Starbucks as a collectible item: https://creativepool.com/magazine/inspiration/is-that-a-pair-of-boobs-on-my-macchiato-how-starbucks-came-up-with-the-rudest-logo-on-the-highstreet-.1303
    Plus, they do have put out a lot of seasonal mugs that are certainly impulse-buy-on-sale-worthy.

    I was a little IMPulsive before I corrected to IMPROMPTU

    I thought peaked might come from piqued(French), but that derivation is for "piqued my interest" from the "pricked" sense of the word. Anyone looking for a good rabbit hole can get into Peaked, peeked, piqued, peaky. Hands up for thinking of Peaky Blinders: I've heard it was good, but just long enough ago, and too many episodes to start into.

    On the Zwift cycling app, the main stock phrase is "Ride On', so I got a chuckle there. The app has us riding on not into the sunset, but into a fake French alp, dinosaur valleys, elevated glass highways over central park, English countrysides, etc.



    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous11:54 AM

    Clever, enjoyable puzzle. Same minor nits PEAKY and RISES ON but of no consequence. Theme excellent.!

    Rex, your final take on Starbucks MUG had me chuckling, stretching into a LOL.

    As it happens, we did adopt a RESCUE CAT yesterday to replace an old tom, who ran off about a month ago
    Of course, the tom returned at 3 this morning. I had forgotten how loud his Mrowoww was! The female was pissed off at both of them (literally cuz she peed the rug) and we had cat drama till dawn !

    ReplyDelete
  36. HAAA!! Thanks for the laugh on Starbucks mugs.

    ReplyDelete
  37. IMPROMPTU made me think of Schubert. Here's Vladimir Horowitz playing his Impromptu no. 3 in a 1987 performance. I hope you can take a minutes to listen - it's really a lovely melody.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I found this hard, esp. for a Tuesday. The SE corner took me forever--didn't want to believe that secure tightly was going to be TRUSS, which I think of as a part of a bridge. Also noticing a lot of interesting acrosses, right? Underneath the doll-clothes the ACTION FIGURE is NAKED, though still INANIMATE... and then you have JESUS, the ultimate action figure. Great puzzle, Adam, unique/creative grid! : )

    ReplyDelete
  39. This was lifeless.
    Inanim8.

    ReplyDelete
  40. RIDES ON, as clued, was an epic fail, I'm afraid. The Lone Ranger RIDES ON his horse (Hi-yo, Silver!). But he rides off into the sunset. Who was that masked man?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who said anything about the Lone Ranger?

      Delete
  41. E/W puzgrid symmetry with themers all over the place. Nice change of pace. RATE3.5, @RP-stars-wise.

    NW's PEAKY, RUMI vocab rates kinda Tuesday-tough, btw.
    No prob at our house with RIDESON, tho. RIDES ON down the trail, etc.

    staff weeject pick: SHH. Part of the HUSH mini-theme.

    some faves: IMPROMPTU. RACCOON a la "mask". RESCUECAT. ACTION vs. INANIMATE.

    Thanx for the action, Mr. Vincent dude. Good job.

    Raccooned & Anonymo6Us

    p.s.
    Runt puzzle:
    **gruntz**

    M&A

    ReplyDelete
  42. Medium.

    I did not remember RUMI.

    Very costly erasure - Id est before I MEAN (see above).

    Liked it slightly less than @Rex did.

    ReplyDelete
  43. It took me quite a bit of thought to get the theme. Kind of neat to have a mostly vertical theme too! Good thing I didn't even try downs-only this Tuesday.

    PICK SIX and CONNECT FOUR were new for me. TAKE FIVE always makes me hear the classic jazz song by Dave Brubeck.

    And if you start at 10 across and go down the right edge, you get:
    HUSH, HAYDN! SHH MODE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Spelling Bee fans, say goodbye to ECOTONE. Not accepted today for the first time ever.

      Delete
    2. Okanaganer
      Son Volt has a link to TAKE FIVE.
      I am not well versed in jazz but that piece I know.

      Delete
  44. A tough but fun Tuesday solved, or should I say almost solved downs-only. I remember having to cheat by reading an across clue once but, looking back this morning at the filled grid, I can’t remember where exactly that was. First time in years I’ve had to do that.

    Liked seeing the “Father of the Symphony” and the “Godfather of Soul” in the same puzzle and, yes, he was pretty influential in FUNK, too. (Brown, not Haydn, whose name always trips me up.)

    About the Starbucks MUGS; I am not a collector of things. I seem to have a great deal of miscellaneous junk building up around me but I do not consciously set out to make collections. But I did once buy a pair of Starbucks cups to bring home from my travels. Not because they were labeled Barcelona, but because they were the absolute perfect size for a small latte; two shots of espresso and 2 or 3 ounces of steamed milk. So, @Amy, in my case anyway, small is good.

    BTW, I have no idea where those cups are now.

    No problem with PEAKY as my wife’s paternal grandparents were British immigrants to Canada and brought all their weird terminology with them. “You’re looking a little peaked (2 syllables, as noted by Rex), Les. Shall I make you some tea?” “If you insist.”

    ReplyDelete
  45. In the wonderful BBC production of Sense and Sensibility, in the third episode, Mrs. Jennings wonders why Marianne is looking "so pale and peaky."

    ReplyDelete
  46. Liked ASEA (16A) right above NAVY (19A). I still have my heavy wool peacoat from my NAVY days. The color looks black to me, not "Deep blue", as clued. By the way, they no longer issue traditional wool peacoats to recruits in basic training. It's now a synthetic cold weather parka. Probably a lot lighter weight and more efficient (but not as good looking!).

    Don't play board (bored?) games so CONNECT FOUR was a no know and ACTION FIGURE was dang near one. Didn't exactly put me IN A SNIT but it did leave a bit of MEH feeling for the theme.

    7D also reminded me of the classic Dave Brubeck jazz album "Time Out". Here's a 7:24 live version of the "Take Five" cut from that album.. Some nice IMPROMPTU riffs in this one.



    ReplyDelete
  47. Looks like I got the hook again. I had things to say. Alas. Lovely puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Tom T6:15 PM

    Stunned at how few people rated this one easy. I didn't find resistance in any part of the grid. Under 10 minutes, far below my Tuesday average.
    Like RIDES ON a lot; avoids the cliche and is just as true to what's happening to that man on his steed.

    ReplyDelete