Saturday, September 12, 2026

"Schitt's Creek" matriarch / SAT 9-12-26 / Rout, in computer game lingo / Country singer Combs / Rowing machines, in gym lingo / Playwright Moss ___ / Personal circumstances, so to speak / Punnily named production company behind TV's "Insecure" and "A Black Lady Sketch Show" / "Surf" food in Japan, or "turf" animal in Spain / Journalist Larson who wrote "The Splendid and the Vile" / What a joke may get eventually / Justice who's the subject of the 2026 biography "Revenge for the Sixties"

Constructor: Adam Wagner and Michael Lieberman

Relative difficulty: Easy

THEME: none 

Word of the Day: MOTHRA (43D: Godzilla adversary) —
Mothra
(Japanese: モスラ, Hepburn: Mosura) is a giant moth-like monster, or kaiju, who first appeared in the 1961 serialized novella The Luminous Fairies and Mothra, written by Takehiko Fukunaga, Shin'ichirō Nakamura and Yoshie Hotta, which later the same year was adapted into the film Mothra, directed by Ishirō Honda and produced and distributed by Toho. Mothra has appeared in several tokusatsu films, often as a recurring monster in the Godzilla franchise. She is typically portrayed as a colossal sentient moth, who hatches from her egg in her larval caterpillar form, before cocooning herself with silk to become a winged adult (imago) form accompanied by two miniature humanoid twin fairies speaking on her behalf. Unlike several other Toho monsters, Mothra is a largely heroic character, having been variously portrayed as a protector of her own island culture, the Earth and Japan. Mothra's design is influenced by silkworms, their imagos, and those of giant silk moths in the family Saturniidae. The character is often depicted hatching offspring (in some cases, twins) when approaching death, a nod to the Saṃsāra doctrine of numerous Indian religions. [...] Though Mothra is generally portrayed as female, male individuals of her species have also been featured in the franchise, including Battra in Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992), the offspring in the Rebirth of Mothra film trilogy, referred to as Mothra Leo by song in the film, and a male Mothra larva who appears alongside his non-identical twin sister in Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (2003). // Mothra is one of Toho's most popular monsters and second only to Godzilla in her total number of film appearances. Polls taken during the early 1990s indicated that Mothra was particularly popular among women who were, at the time, the largest demographic among Japan's movie-going audience, a fact that prompted the filming of 1992's Godzilla vs. Mothra, which was the best-attended Toho film since King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962). (wikipedia)
• • •

Really enjoyed this one. Maybe a little on the name-y side with more dullish short answers than might seem ideal, but as with yesterday's puzzle, this one was so packed with solid marquee answers that I didn't notice or care about the dull or tiresome or annoying short stuff as I might have. ASAP over REPO over DEPT. OVAL over REDO over ONEG. AMINO MACRO PITAS. STPAT ERASES ASA NYETS. Taken in isolation, these clumps of answers seem pretty bad, but those clumps are holding in place big beautiful BLOCKs of answers. We get two stacks of 10s and two colonnades of 9s—twelve long answers in those corners and not a one of them is a clanker. Perhaps none of them sparkles as much as the best fill in yesterday's puzzle, but that puzzle never tried to stack more than two long answers at a time, which gives the grid more give and makes it easier to fill in a fun and exciting way. Today's grid shape is much more restrictive, but the puzzle still manages to have an open feel, a zing and nice overall sense of flow, aided by the two grid-spanners that cross at the center of the puzzle. Those answers keep the corners from seeming so isolated, the way Saturday grids can get sometimes (such that they seem like four little puzzles instead of one full one). 

[1A: Light décor]

Getting "THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!" (36A: "Now we're talking!") was a real high point, a bridge from NE to SW that also gave me the first letter in REACTION (I was DELAYED by DELAYED—couldn't figure out what was supposed to follow; LAUGHTER fit, but didn't sound right at all) (8D: What a joke may get eventually). As for the names, I was lucky enough to know most of them. Normally, something like HOORAE would seem like an insane thing to expect solvers to know (56A: Punnily named production company behind TV's "Insecure" and "A Black Lady Sketch Show"), but since ISSA RAE is such a crossword mainstay (in both parts of her name), I think it's fair game, and fun to figure out. I had HOORAY at first (a pun on "Who Rae?"), but that faux meat that "bleeds" was obviously BEETS, not BYETS. I like BYETS as a companion answer for NYETS, but, while BEETS are Russian, they're not that Russian.


No real trouble spots today besides the delayed "reaction" in DELAYED REACTION. The one area that gave me more trouble than anything else in the grid, by far (in that it gave me any trouble at all) was LOW PH / OTT crossing. Had no idea about OTT (55A: N.B.A. coach Jordan ___) and (of course) tried to parse the answer to 47D: Acidic (LOW PH) as one word. OTT seemed like the most namelike thing there, but I dunno ... if you're throwing some N.B.A. coach at me (and not even telling me the team?), I figure maybe you're trying to introduce some new, stranger name into the grid, like ... maybe you've discovered a non-fictional ITT, or an ATT, or even the first ever UTT. But my confusion here simply didn't last. The long Downs in the SW ended up coming quickly—WHITE NOISE off the "-HI-" (58A: Common sleep aid), PROBLEM SET off the "-RO-" (61A: Math class assignment)—so I got my LOW PH "D'oh!" moment and that was that, as far as any real trouble. Started with AMINO / LOOSE in the NW and just burned it down from there. Could've used a little more fight, but I had a good time (again, just like yesterday).


Bullets:
  • 11A: Last place? (TOMB) — Morbid. I love it. I laughed.
  • 25A: Why wait? (TIP) — NE corner went down so fast that I never saw this clue, which I like, though I think it would work better for TIPS. You would not wait (tables) for a single tip.
  • 26A: Personal circumstances, so to speak (SHOES) — very clever. Needed a few crosses and then got a nice "OH, NOW I SEE" moment.
  • 34A: First full word sung in "The Alphabet Song" (AND) — another clue I never saw, which is a good thing, because I totally forgot what "The Alphabet Song" was ("A B C D E F G / H I J K LMNOP / Q R S / T U V / W X / Y AND Z...")—or, rather, I confused it with this:
  • 41D: Rowing machines, in gym lingo (ERGS) — uh, they just call them "rowing machines," seriously. I think ERG is written on the sides of the one at my gym, but I've never heard anyone call it that. Even though I've seen this answer before, I still wanted some other silly E-word configuration, like EVOS. 
  • 6D: Playwright Moss ___ (HART) — I knew this one, but I think it's gonna be among the harder names for people today. He was a big deal playwright and librettist, but his general fame hasn't lasted. He was married to Kitty Carlisle (leading lady in the Marx Bros's A Night at the Opera and regular panelist on To Tell the Truth), who outlived him by almost half a century (Moss died of a heart attack in the early '60s, age 57).
  • 11D: "Surf" food in Japan, or "turf" animal in Spain (TORO) — This makes it sound like you eat the bull. I see you switched from "food" to "animal," but you're playing off the phrase "surf & turf," which is a menu phrase, so I have to assume you ate the bull.
  • 38D: Journalist Larson who wrote "The Splendid and the Vile" (ERIK) — thought I didn't know this one, but I've at least heard of ERIK Larson. I know him as a writer of (non-fiction) books. Didn't know he was a "journalist."

That's all for today. See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Events✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

46 comments:

  1. Smooth sailing! The marquee answers were fun but didn’t put up much of a fight; strangely I had more trouble with some of the short fill and needed the long answers to solve them, like OTT, TIPS and ERGS (even though I’m a regular gym attendee). Finished the puzzle when I realized 37D was SCAB not STAB.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Easy-Medium. I had trouble getting a toehold in the NE, missing the first parts of 12D, OVEN TIMER and 14D, BLOG POSTS. The bulb finally illuminated with the very nicely clued TORO at 11D. Liked it; not a lot of dreck.
    * * * * _

    Overwrites:
    My 16A round figure was zero before it was an OVAL.
    At 18A, "Take two" made me think dose rather than REDO.
    I had no idea about the informal earth's pull, so before ONE G I tired grav.
    hArMS before MAIMS for the real hurts at 43A, fixed by MOTHRA at 43D.

    WOEs:
    29D country singer LUKE Combs.
    Journalist ERIK Larson (38D).
    Coach Jordan OTT at 55A.
    Production company HOORAE at 56A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:12 AM

    A fine grid, and a fine puzzle overall. But not a Saturday puzzle. Not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:51 AM

    Pretty easy for me. Fun long answers. I didn’t know PWN but I think I’ve seen it before. I had BLOG HOSTS instead of BLOG POSTS, but TIH made no sense. Nice “aha” moment when I saw TIP and the music sounded. 2/3 my average Saturday time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:57 AM

    hOuSE before LOOSE in the NW gave me some trouble, and OTT and HOORAE were WOEs. I found the rest of the puzzle relatively easy but the SE almost did me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith9:05 AM

      Same. Had HOUSE in there for far too long, after it was “confirmed” by 3 crosses.

      Delete
  6. Hey All !
    Tougher than YesterPuz, but still pulled in a good time. Some names I didn't know, but inferred from crosses.

    Had sAriS in for PITAS first. Thinking that maybe more than half of solvers did. Funny running into SARI later down the grid.

    HAirDRYERS for HAND DRYERS. b(MB for TOMB, thinking a movie or somesuch that was no good, ala a BOMB, would be in last place. Unsure what a bORO was, though. Maybe an ass in those languages.

    Speaking of ASS, came close with ASA, try harder next time. 😁

    Hope y'all have a great Saturday!

    No F's - Two days now, Themeless puzs can contain F's also, YKNOW?
    RooMonster
    DarrinV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roo -- Thanks for the Weird Al tip yesterday. Will definitely seek it out.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous7:12 AM

    When I rowed crew we always referred to the rowing machines as "ERGS" but that might just be a very niche thing. Really fun puzzle today. SE was the hardest for me but doable after a couple of passes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my daughter rowed in college, and every winter they would all come up to Boston for the ERG races at Harvard (officially called the "Crash-B Sprints") for some reason. I guess crew is a niche sport, but what isn't?

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:38 AM

      An erg is a unit of work energy. I rowed in college and the rowing machines we used were designed to measure how much energy you could generate with your stroke, and were called (at least, back in the day) "ergometers" . Thereafter shortened to just "erg"

      Delete
  8. Nice puzzle - love the intersecting spanners and Rex highlights the huge corner stacks. VICTORY LAP and WHITE NOISE stand out.BLOG POSTS works here.

    Coup D’Etat

    The trivia was a little thick and the shorts were template at times but overall it was a slick grid. MOTHRA, ENRAPT, ANTICS are all solid. No idea with MOIRA and didn’t love some of the some of the slang - the use of “lingo” in multiple clues is rough.

    On The Air

    Enjoyable Saturday morning solve - wonderful follow up to yesterday’s gem. Matt Sewell’s Stumper will test you a little more than this one - two vertical spanners that are nice but a highly segmented grid with some tricky cluing.

    Gang of Four

    ReplyDelete
  9. Easy Saturday, despite a fair number of unknowns propers (OTT, HART, ERIK, LUKE, and the mysterious HOORAE),

    In the version of The Alphabet Song I learned, there is another "and" between U and V.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Areawoman7:33 AM

    Anyone that actually rows calls them Ergs, in fact I have a friend "named" Erg because he broke the Erg machine as a student then went on to coach the men's team at Cornell. Go Big Red! (I went to a little school called Cornell, maybe you've heard of it?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:39 AM

      That would make ERGS “rowing lingo” or “crew lingo,” not “gym lingo,” necessarily

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8:52 AM

      Stanford crew alum here, yep we called them ergs

      Delete
  11. Another fun puzzle to round out what is likely to be the most stellar weekend of 2026, especially from a solver’s perspective.

    The highlight for me was seeing Godzilla v. MOTHRA making an appearance. I must have been all of 11 or 12 when I first saw Boris Karloff in one of his classics on late night TV (probably channel 9 or 11 in NYC) and I was hooked. And of course, no greatest hits list would be complete without The Blob.

    We need more weekends like this ! ! !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tom F7:52 AM

    TOMB. Brilliant - will reuse.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Easy-medium here, the "medium" because of the names, per usual. Knew some, spelled ALY wrong, OTT is always Mel, ERIK I guess I should have know as I read Devil in the White City, but it was a while ago, and then there are MOIRA m still haven't seen any "Schitts Creek", and HOORAE, which looks like a bad Scrabble set. Also had HOUSE before LOOSE and TBA before TRD, easy fixes.

    ERGS I have seen clued as units of work and ONEG as a blood type. And my first thought of the Alphabet Song was B A bay, B E bee, b i bicky bye b o bo and so on. This was not helpful.

    Very nice Saturday, AW and ML. Another Winner but I wish it had taken Me Longer. Thanks for all the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah well, tougher for me because of the names, but the longer answers were pure fun. Also tougher because after I got TOMB, I filled in BOTGHOSTS thinking that Medium referred to something spiritual. And started out with hOuSE instead of LOOSE, and never heard of DATINGGAPP or HOORAE, so got off to a comically bad start in every section of the puzzle. But still enjoyed it, so that tells you something…

    ReplyDelete
  15. Andy Freude8:13 AM

    Smooth sailing for the most part. DELAYED REsponse made the SE tougher for me than it should have been, and I spent many microseconds staring at __WPH and wondering where I had made my mistake. With a mysterious _TT crossing, I ran vowels until the light bulb lit up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really nice puzzle, with lots of nifty clues and lots of fond memories. I discovered the plays of Kaufman and Hart when I was quite young, and binge-read the scripts in bed over the course of a week or so. Really hilarious stuff. There's a movie version of "The Man Who Came to Dinner," but it's not as good as the play. So anyway, that was a gimme. i guess it was a long time ago--I was reading them 15 years after they were written.

    I learned PWN from Rex, in one of his BLOG POSTS (pretty meta,, huh?)

    I liked the "wrap in South Asia" costarring with the "Wraps in the Mideast;" ENRAPT was just icing on the cake.

    I had DELAYED REsponse before REACTION, but that was easy to fix.

    ORAL-B as a toothbrush "handle" was fun. One of those answers it can be hard to think of, but satisfying when you get it. Like TIP.

    My nostalgia trip was added to by my error at 30-D, STAMP book before CARD. Took me back to the days of S&H Green Stamps--you collected them with your purchases, pasted them in a book, and when you got enough traded them in for various pieces of merchandise. It's been a long time; but I still have a card for Caffe Nero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! S&”H”, head slap! I remembered them as S&W. Duh, it was only 70 years ago or so.

      Delete
  17. Anonymous8:37 AM

    At first I had ‘shoe’ for 11A ‘last place’ ( a last is a mold for shoemaking.) And then, lo and behold, ‘shoes’ pops up as the answer to 26A ‘personal circumstances’. Is there a Rex term for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:03 AM

      There sure is! "Malapop". It's not too rare for Rex to mention that he had one of those.

      Delete
  18. I really enjoyed this one, too. Was a little too clever and had HEMES for BEETS for a beat there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That’s two winners in a row for me. Both were fun to solve, and I got a kick out of the cluing but I found Friday’s puzzle more difficult than this. HOORAE and PWN were my only stumbling blocks today. HOORAE because it’s just weird and STAMPCARD because it reminded me of S&W stamps my Mom would get at the grocery store in the late 1950s and I would lick and stick on a page for rewards like a piece of tableware. Now I have an electronic store named credit card that keeps track of cash rewards. Progress has eliminated the need to lick much of anything, and I’m thankful. After seeing the Seinfeld episode where George’s fiancée comes to an untimely end, I only buy envelopes with self-stick flaps!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad I knew both Moss HART and ALY Raisman, because that prompted me to change Chandelier to LAMPSHADES and get going. This puzzle had some great clues: the surf/turf clue for TORO; the great "Personal circumstances" clue for SHOES, "last place for TOMB," and, especially, the wonderful "Why wait?" for TIP. And, as with yesterday's puzzle, the long phrases were all very natural sounding.

    That said, STAMP CARD was tricky, because I couldn't believe PWN would be correct instead of OWN for "Rout." And thank goodness there were easy crosses for HOORAE, or I wouldn't have gotten it. But all in all, a fine Saturday puzzle and a nice way to start my morning!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was fine but I don't share the praise it's getting. The long answers are good but, as Rex said, don't really sparkle. Closer to "meh". I'm not familiar with STAMPCARD or PROBLEMSET as common phrases. Also, when did OVAL(s) become round? Definitely a solid 3 stars, though. Enjoyable solve.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous9:30 AM

    Really enjoyable puzzle but seemed too easy for a Saturday. Interesting to see Moss HART still holding on but Mel OTT starting to fade from the crossword pantheon. Jordan was a TIL that I’ll need to file away if he’s going to displace the “Giants slugger” standard.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Easy, breezy Saturday morning fun!

    Moss HART might be in some forebrains because of the Oscar nomination for Blue Moon last year starring Ethan Hawke (OOPS!!! that's Lorenz Hart...) I learn so much from this xword/blog habit:)

    I love the Russian spelling for Byets, hilarious!

    Rowing machines are referred to as ERGS in the wild, at least when I talk to people in rowing clubs.

    BLOGPOSTS as an answer feels rather meta today:0

    Bravo to Ben Shelton for making the finals of the USOPEN! It has been fun to see his game develop in real time. And, he brings a lot of joy, drive and enthusiasm to the game.

    Is PWN still used? Seems like gamerspeak would have moved on several times over by now.

    Black Lady Sketch Show make me roar with laughter - pretty rare for me and comedies these days. Can't say that I remembered the production company was HOORAE, but surmisable:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, and since a "blow-out" is a hair style, it would be a much better clue for a hairDRYER; it does kind of work for hands.

    ReplyDelete
  25. An average Saturday solve. I would probably rate it easy but I did this on my phone last night and I kept on falling asleep. No surprise that HOORAE is a debut. PWN is a familiar but very unloved piece of crosswordese.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous9:40 AM

    That movie clip I've posted on popular names forums before to show my theory of why the first name LISA became SO popular in about 1958 and onward. Before this movie, there was barely one child in the US named Lisa. Then it became the number one name for the next decade.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Spaniards do actually eat the toro after the torero kills him:

    https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/08/01/746659693/the-eating-of-the-bulls-from-the-spanish-fighting-ring-to-the-plate

    ReplyDelete
  28. In the Rosh Hashana version, the HAMS are replaced by a nice brisket.

    My "gym lingo" consists of: Oy; Are you kidding?; My back!; I think I'm done now.

    In the gym, I use the ERGS TORO. To stay hydrated, try the ERG nog. It's stationary, Joni, so don't use an ERG for going.

    Should have saved ALITO for Yom Kippur -- he's a good appetite depressant.

    Items of note: NYETS crossing NO NO; Jordan OTT pinch hitting for Mel.

    SOONER (or later): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq-bNR-z7Nk

    ReplyDelete
  29. Así está mejor.

    Weirdly fast. I suppose it's a wheelhouse win. I feared we might be in for another day of "how dare they give me a child's placement puzzle," but I see the early returns look like solvers had enough challenge.

    It's a funny puzzle. Nice job everybody.

    I sang the entire alphabet song and I'll be damned. AND is the first full word all the way down after Y. I teach that song regularly as it's a chord changing son of a gun and have never noticed this oddity. Mostly I teach it as Twinkle Twinkle rather than the Alphabet Song, so maybe the stars got in my eyes.

    I've spent my entire comedy career waiting for this so-called DELAYED REACTION. How delayed are we talking here? Because it feels like crickets all day long every day for years.

    Gunkometer--
    People: 9
    Places: 0
    Products: 4
    Partials: 6
    Foreignisms: 2
    --
    Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 21 of 70 (30%)

    Funny Factor: 7 😂

    🔥 Ooh-la-la! 🔥 Arouse. CLAM.

    Uniclues:

    1 Sunglasses worn inside a mausoleum by ancient Egyptian hep cats.
    2 Bloods v. Crips in London.
    3 Cry from an insomniac.
    4 Those parking three blocks away from home.
    5 How I judge my self worth at my local coffee shop.
    6 Why the Death Star is well known.
    7 Where red tears in this comment section come from.

    1 TOMB LAMP SHADES (~)
    2 SODS AND CRUMBS
    3 WHITE NOISE ASAP!
    4 REPO PROBLEM SET
    5 STAMP CARD LEVEL (~)
    6 LASER MADE IT BIG (~)
    7 BLOG POSTS BEETS

    My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Location for a beautiful mind, or a zombie chained to a pole. EERIE SHED.

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    ReplyDelete
  30. ERIK Larson worked for years as a feature writer at the Wall Street Journal (where I overlapped with him) and Time magazine before hitting it big with his books. He was a star even then.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous10:00 AM

    Shouldn’t PWN be OWN?

    ReplyDelete
  32. CHANDELIER fit at 1A (and I thought I was so clever to think of it right off) but not a single cross worked so I held off and ERASES and ST PAT kept me from patting myself on the back with my first guess.

    Like Rex, I needed REACTION in place at 8D before DELAYED came to mind, even with AYED in the grid. But that was key to getting the rest of the NW. I had drilL crossing LOOSE and not working with AMINO. EMAIL ALERT came to my rescue? Not something one would normally consider a good thing.

    I took my time on this but it falls into the "easy Saturday" category, according to my finish time. LEVEL was my only write-over.

    Thanks, Adam and Michael, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Only woe today, make it big for made it big.
    Convinced myself reko must be some sort of slang version of reconnoiter!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Only woe today, make it big for made it big.
    Convinced myself reko must be some sort of slang version of reconnoiter!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Shout out to Erik Larsen! His Dead Wake was a sensational book. I appreciate the reminder to put a hold on a couple of others of his at my library!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Not EASY. But enjoyable. It's been awhile since I had to step away from a puzzle in order to solve it. That's what this one did to me. TIP 25A "Why Wait" was absolutely great. PWN, HOORAE were WOES.
    Thanks for the work-out, Adam & Michael :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Easy but tougher than yesterday’s…still pretty whooshy though.

    I did not know the HOO part of HOORAE. ALY, ERIK, OTT, and LUKE were also WOEs.

    Costly erasures - STore before STAMP CARD and TBa before TBD.

    Solid with no junk and hint of sparkle, liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I liked the idea of a DELAYED REACTION to a joke - a blank stare changing to an explosion of laughter - eliciting "THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!" from the joke teller. Otherwise....(kvetching alert)...I found it as easy as yesterday's puzzle but nowhere near as fun - the collection of LAMPSHADES, OVEN TIMER, math PROBLEM SET, WHITE NOISE machine, EMAIL ALERT, and BLOG POSTS struck me as humdrum. I did like VICTORY LAP - and the Saturday puzzles of yore that made me feel I deserved one if I finished.

    ReplyDelete