Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Rolled out unannounced? / TUE 9-1-26 / Noted magnate on the Titanic / Highest-grossing moviei of the 1970s / Indigo dye / Writer ___ Rogers St. Johns / Like un homme with a Napoleon complex / Fidget spinners and Labubu dolls, for two / Andy Taylor's boy on old TV / "Ism" that might result from a schism

Constructor: Paul Hudes and Margot Kohn

Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium

[5D: Highest-grossing movie of the 1970s]

THEME: on the web... — familiar phrases are clued as if they were websites (the clues are actual URLs)

Theme answers:
  • BURIAL SITE (17A: https://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil?)
  • SAUSAGE LINK (26A: https://www.hot-dog.org?)
  • HOME ADDRESS (41A: https://www.zillow.com?)
  • SENATE PAGE (54A: https://www.congress.gov?)
Word of the Day: Labubu dolls (36D: Fidget spinners and Labubu dolls, for two) —

Labubu (/lɑːˈbbu/ lah-BOO-boo; Chinese: 拉布布; pinyin: Lābùbù) is a line of collectible plush toys created by Hong Kong illustrator Kasing Lung. The series features zoomorphic elves with exaggerated facial expressions, of which the central figure is Labubu, a monster with sharp teeth, large ears and a scruffy appearance.

The toys are produced and sold exclusively by the China-based retailer Pop Mart, which primarily releases Labubu figures in sealed "blind box" packaging that conceals the specific character inside. Over time, the series expanded to include different versions of Labubu and other related figures, often released in limited runs or as part of themed sets.

Labubu toys became especially popular in 2024 across East and Southeast Asia, becoming one of Pop Mart's signature characters and a central figure in the global blind box collecting trend. The character has also inspired collaborations with fashion brands and limited-edition art figures. Academic research has examined consumer behavior surrounding the Labubu series, particularly in relation to scarcity-based marketing strategies. [...] 

In 2025, New York magazine's Liza Corsillo wrote that the "toy's appeal is fueled by a hard-to-explain cuteness—they're kind of ugly, but huggable, with a devilish grin—as well as surprise and scarcity." Corsillo also wrote that, like Jellycat, Labubus blur "the line between toys and fashion". [...] In July 2025, authorities in Iraq's Kurdistan Region announced they had banned the sale of the doll due to claims that they resulted in behavioral problems in children. Authorities also seized at least 4,000 dolls in the Erbil area, following media reports of the dolls also containing 'demonic spirits'. (wikipedia)
• • •
[in case you're wondering what the good folks at hot-dog dot org get up to...]

If nothing else, this puzzle finally made me look up what the hell "labubu" meant. For a while now, it's been one of those words that would fly by me in various pop culture discussions, maybe on podcasts or something, and I'd think "nope, don't want to know." Honestly, it sounded like a euphemism for genitals, something cutesy you'd call your vagina. Probably the "lab-" part. Labubu, labia; vajayjay, vagina. You can see why, with zero context, my brain went there. Or you can't. Whatever, the point is, like most pop culture fads, None of My Business. I did not particularly want to know what a "Labubu doll" (!) might be. But today I had a reason to find out, so ... I did. And honestly the reality is kind of disappointing. They're just ... like Beanie Babies? Again? We're doing this again? OK. Enjoy! Also, you should now definitely look for LABUBU—coming soon to a grid near you. As for the grid that is currently near you (i.e. today's puzzle), it's fine. It does a little pun thing four different ways. Using actual URLs is kinda clever. And I like how the theme clues managed to hit four different internet domain names (mil, org, com, gov). The variety is a small but nice detail. Overall: straightforward, simple, cute.


The fill drifts into some rickety and ye olden territory at times, though. You brought back ANIL and ADELA back from the dead in the same puzzle? (51D: Indigo dye / 61A: Writer ___ Rogers St. Johns). You can see how these once-popular answers ("popular" because constructors did not have software to help make them go away) have faded dramatically in prevalence over time:



Finding both those words in the same SE corner was kind of jarring. Less jarring but still rough were ACTAS and RTS sharing a corner, and OPIE crossing EPEE. Unremarkable stuff, except ... I remarked upon it because of the density. The longer fill is decent, but the shorter fill made me wince a little today. Just felt stale, like not enough care had been taken to polish the grid, to scrub it of abbrs. and dated and/or ugly little stuff. Also, the combo of TPED (a "word" that always looks horrible spelled out) (52D: Rolled out unannounced?) and PANTSED gave the puzzle an unappealingly childish vibe (39D: Pulled down a pair?) (the fact that both clues are cutesy only deepened this vibe). NO SPOILERS lost whatever juice it might've had because we just saw it a few days ago—not the puzzle's fault, but it added to the kind of anemic feel of the fill. But PASADENA and SETH MEYERS are pleasant proper nouns—I really like PASADENA, as a place—and STAR WARS ... well, it's a Star Wars reference, obviously, but at least it goes whole hog. It's the whole damn title, not just some piece of detritus like LEIA, HAN, YODA, REN, etc. Overall, the grid is at least competent, and the theme is nice enough that the puzzle ends up in "thumbs up" territory.


Bullets:
  • 29A: Risky bets (FLIERS) — I use this term all the time, but mostly when I decide to try something (often food, or maybe a record) that I've never tried or possibly even heard of before ... which I guess is a form of "risky bet."
  • 26D: Amy Poehler's onetime partner on "Weekend Update" (SETH MEYERS) — kind of a throwback clue, considering he's got his own late night show now and has for ... a while (since 2014, wow, longer than I thought).
  • 40D: Like un homme with a Napoleon complex (PETIT) — this was weird. I guess you had to go to French because PETIT is a word in English only in legal contexts. PETITE is a word, obviously, but it's got that "E" and applies almost exclusively to girls and women. In French, "PETIT" just means "small" (masc.), so a man can be PETIT there. I am a tall man myself, so whatever complex I have, this ain't it, but I do have to say "Napoleon complex" seems like a "derogatory social stereotype" (wikipedia's words), a way of mocking guys for being short, perhaps for doing the very same (obnoxious) things that taller men do all the time. If you know a number of short guys who are "overly aggressive or domineering," consider how many average-sized and tall guys you know who behave exactly the same way. You can criticize a short man for various shortcomings and leave his shortness out of it (see also fat people / fatness—even more so). 

That's all for today. See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

36 comments:


  1. Easy-Medium. Decent for a Tuesday.
    * * * _ _

    One overwrite, my 3D camping covers were TentS before they were TARPS.

    Two WOEs:
    I didn't know that FLIERS are risky bets (29A).
    Writer ADELA Rogers St. Johns at 61A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:55 AM

      ADELA/RIGEL was almost a natick for me. i figured L was a safe-enough bet, but i honestly wasn't sure.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:57 AM

      Agree. Tough cross for a Tuesday

      Delete
  2. Cute puns I guess - SAUSAGE LINK elicited a chuckle but I thought congress was going to be something sexual.

    Little Old Lady From PASADENA

    Overall fill works well - the big guy covers most of it. I don’t love the full proper name as always so SETH should have been edited better. IN EARNEST, NO SPOILERS, IN SO FAR AS are all top notch. I only know ADELA from the puzzles. The grid forces some short glue but a lot of it gets glazed over due to how easy this was.

    Depeche Mode

    Not a lot of complexity here but an enjoyable Tuesday morning solve nonetheless.

    1952 Vincent Black Lightning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sun Volt, thanks for the Richard Thompson clip. I saw him a couple of years ago at a small church turned small concert venue in Montclair, NJ. Great stuff...

      Delete
    2. Love Richard Thompson and have seen him twice, once in a small club in Saratoga and once at the Caramoor Center for Music and the Arts. My favorite of his is "Beeswing."

      Delete
    3. Oh SV, I was hoping you’d spring for a Game Theory reference (RIP Scott Miller), as “Nine Lives To Rigel Five” was actually how I got that clue this morning…

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the nice write-up this morning, @OFL. I liked the theme, hadn't even noticed the nice variety with .gov, .mil, .com, and .org. Though I prefer non-profits that have somewhat loftier goals than hot-dog.org seems to.... and besides, it's full of puns like "you'll relish the variety of information.... ". : / SAUSAGELINK was by far my favorite.... took me forever to see what that was going to be! TIL that PANTSED is a word. I agree with the junior-high prankster vibe. Nice puzzle, great theme, and if you are going to reset our STARWARS counter, this is the way to do it! Thanks, Paul and Margot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:54 AM

      Read an article yesterday that Nicole Kidman routinely pantses Sandra Bullock. (They’re both on the circuit flogging their sequel to Practical Magic. Neither has seen junior high in a thousand years)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6:15 AM

    Very easy. PANTSED surprised and amused me,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say a Napolean complex is when someone (a man) feels he has to compensate for being short, so he goes out to show all the big tall men that he’s just as virile and masculine as they are by, for example, teying to conquer the world.

    I mostlly enjoyed the puzzle but more in retrospect than while solving. Clever theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:32 AM

      Yes but *you* are attributing that “need to compensate” to him, on what basis? It’s like the whole dumb thing of saying guys drive big trucks or talk tough etc to “compensate” for small penises. It’s made up and based on Your own prejudices (against short men, against small penises). Guys are assholes because they’re assholes, not for some biological shortcoming.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:59 AM

      Nope. Napolean complex is mocking someone for their behavior. No one would say Richard Reich has a Napolean complex and he’s practically a little person.
      Shortness is a requirement of the Nalolean complex but in of itself not suffiecient.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous7:29 AM

      This only makes Anonymous’s point. If a short person is domineering, how is that any different from a tall person’s being domineering? Why are you bringing shortness into it? A: easy prejudice. This is like how people who don’t normally make fun of fat people will Absolutely bring fatness into it if they Don’t like someone. Like, the president is an awful human being but mocking his fatness (as so many of you do) is justice dime-store anti-fat prejudice. Easy to make fun of / pathologize short guys. So if you find a short guy overbearing you go after his shortness despite its total irrelevance. You have asserted its relevance because it’s an easy cheap jab. Napoleon complex is not a real thing. Just like Napoleon’s shortness was not a real thing (avg height for his time).

      Delete
    4. @JJK that's what I understand Napoleon complex to mean too. Someone who is short and compensates for it by their domineering behavior

      Delete
  6. i finished in decent time, but some of the fill and cluing here felt unnecessarily tough for a tuesday.

    also, @anonymous 6:32am "Guys are assholes because they’re assholes, not for some biological shortcoming." <- ding ding ding

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very nice early-week puzzle with a theme that provided just enough of an extra crunch to make it interesting while keeping it light-hearted. Once I had the theme, I enjoyed trying to guess the others by thinking of what other URL vocabulary might go with the words. Felt like what a Tuesday is supposed to be.

    I appreciated Rex’s thoughts about the Napoleon complex, which I’ve never thought about before. Indeed, if someone is going to try to conquer the world (or be socially aggressive), we can just call that a bad thing without saying, “And on top of that, he’s doing it while being short!” No need to psychoanalyze that the aggression relates to a compensation for the height.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My basic immaturity is showing—got a laugh out of TPED as I unraveled the SE to finish the puzzle. ADELE was an unknown.. I guess PANTSED is in the same category as TPED but did not resonate as much with me. Hand up for TentS before TARPS. Loved SAUSAGELINK and the other internet themers—-a fun and imaginative puzzle that morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Napoleon complex clue rubbed me the wrong way, but I couldn't articulate why. Thank you, Rex, for putting it into words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:30 AM

    sailed through until the bottom right corner. ADELA and RIGEL are new words to me, and I had NOSIR over NEVER. Tough corner for a Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey All !
    Stickier than usual TuesPuz here. Had to tighten down the ole thinking cap.

    Nice to get four different URL things, SITE, LINK, ADDRESS, PAGE.

    Kept reading 47D clue as onion, not Orion, thinking what an odd clue that was. Was thinking of the satirical newspaper/website The Onion, and wondering if I was the only one who didn't know about their left-foot star. Like a running gag, or somesuch. Good stuff.

    Boy, the XW sure does love its LSD and ACID TRIPS. Maybe why we get so much ASS in the puz, the editors are all on LSD. 😁

    Have never TPED, a house, or thankfully haven't had mine TPED. Especially since COVID, what a waste of good TP.

    Welp, hope y'all have a great Tuesday!

    Three F's
    RooMonster
    DarrinV

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andy Freude7:42 AM

    Thanks, Rex, for proving that hot-dog.org exists. Who’d a thunk? But I’m not about to take hot dog advice from a guy with a ketchup bottle in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But in that guy's defence, one of the etiquette rules is not to put ketchup on your hot dog unless you are under 18.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8:41 AM

      When I am King, my first edict will be “ NO ketchup on tubular meat products”.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous9:21 AM

      There's nothing like a good Hot Dog w Sauerkraut and Mustard. Ketchup is strictly for amateurs.
      Enjoyable Tuesday. Southeast was kinda tough.

      Delete
  13. Terrific idea for a theme. SO clever – connecting actual web addresses punnily with everyday phrases. Smart ideas like this, well executed, will always get published, and bravo to Margot for coming up with it (according to the constructors' notes).

    Seemed like a tight theme. How many other words are there for web links and sites, and how many of them can be part of a common phrase?

    I liked seeing BRAVE clued as a verb – [Push through] – as it’s almost always clued as an adjective.

    My brain enjoyed trying to crack that, as well as trying to crack [Firmly held] for DEEP SET, and [To the degree that] for INSOFAR AS. It also loved trying to crack the theme answers with as few letters as possible, after seeing what the theme was early on.

    Impressive debut, Paul and Margot. Keep coming up with ideas like this, and I’ll expect to see you often up the road. I hope so, and thank you for a splendid outing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, Weird Al, a suggestion for a new song: “I Could Have Pantsed All Night”.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bob Mills7:57 AM

    Found it very easy except for the SE, where I needed trial-and-error. Didn't fully grasp the theme until I was done. Like EasyEd, I had "tents" before TARPS.

    PANTSED is crosswordese taken to an "advansted" level. The puzzle was definitely not "enhansted" by its inclusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that PANTSED must be right, but I couldn't believe it was a real word. I've never heard it. And since RIGEL/ADELA was a Natick for me (and did not feel Tuesday-ish at all), and I couldn't think of TPED, the SE corner did me in.

      Delete
  16. I don't know why, but unlike everyone else, I thought this was VERY tough for a Tuesday- I finished like 70% above my average time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous8:14 AM

    Wonderful solve. I chuckled when I saw Tped and Pantsed , with their clues, in the same puzzle. 🎈🎈🎊🎊

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have to love this theme! I found it tough to think of the last words for each, I needed crosses for every one but SITE. They fall into two camps: LINK and ADDRESS are URLs, while SITE and PAGE are what the URL takes you to. That's a nice balance. For some reason tne NYT solving site was truncating the across clues, so I couldn't actually see the domain names while solving; having 4 different ones is indeed a nice touch.

    I liked the RASH person taking FLIERS and ending up with some DENTS in his or her ego; and I liked seeing our old friend OPIE, who has been scarce lately, coming back to take up the EPEE.

    And I went down a metaphysical rabbit hole pondering whether STAR WARS should count as a Star Wars reference.

    Fine wines can be AGED, but they were fine wines already, or you wouldn't have bothered to age it.

    And finally, I have to defend ANIL which is the basis of the entire modern chemical industry.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Diane Joan8:28 AM

    I thought the puzzle overall was perfect for a Tuesday but I didn’t like the Arlington Cemetery reference. While accurate it seemed flippant to me. It’s more than a burial site and I think another option should have been chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous8:48 AM

    Anyone else getting sick of all the sammies and sandos lately?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very similar solving experience to @Rex's but I found it a bit more challenging than most Tuesdays.
    The theme is very, very clever and works really well. SENATEPAGE took me quite awhile as the SE was crunchy as heck for me. The star crossing the writer was a Natick and what should have been a fairly straight forward entry in NEVER just would not come to me quickly. I had *noway*, then changed it to *nosir*...nothing! It was the very cool and very well clued BRAVE that finally fell to get me to NEVER. Then TPED clicked (my least favorite fill of the day) and *finally* PAGE fell into place. That was quite the workout for a Tuesday.
    The cute theme made it worth the effort. Like @Rex, I like how it uses real sites all with different domain names, so put me in the camp of "how did they ever come up with that??!!" Color me impressed!
    I always brag that I know nothing about the STARWARS universe and get annoyed by that kind of fill, but I share @Rex's reaction that since today's entry goes all in and is so obvious, I was just fine with it and it didn't take away from the solving joy.
    There was some long non-themers that I liked very much: INSOFARAS, INEARNEST, and NOSPOILERS.
    As a not very tall guy, I very much appreciate @Rex's take on the Napoleon Complex. I don't think I've ever seen it analyzed so beautifully and so spot on, thank you Professor Sharp!
    Paul and Margot, I understand this is a debut and it's a great one! Thank you for this and I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Easiest Tuesday ever.
    Congrats on your debut, Margot & Paul :)

    ReplyDelete