Saturday, September 26, 2026

Riding free as an employee, in airline lingo / SAT 9-26-26 / Prepares, as shumai / A bit corrupt, perhaps? / Signature QB move included as a feature in 2012's Madden NFL 13 video game / Early giant in punch-card tabulating systems / Desserts that may feature frangipane / Broadcaster with a onetime coat-of-arms logo, informally / Actress Price of the 2000s sitcom "Grounded for Life" / Evergreen whose cones bear edible seeds

Constructor: Brian Callahan

Relative difficulty: Medium

THEME: none 

Word of the Day: shumai (1A: Prepares, as shumai = STEAMS) —

Shumai (simplified Chinese: 烧卖; traditional Chinese: 燒賣; pinyin: shāomài; Cantonese Yale: sīu-máai; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: sio-māi; Wugniu: sau1 ma6) is a type of traditional Chinese dumpling meat made of ground pork. In Cantonese cuisine, it is usually served as a dim sum snack, and is served with an additional serving of soy sauce. In addition to accompanying the Chinese diaspora, variations of shumai can be found in Japan, Southeast Asia, and South America. Variations include the Hawaiian pork hash and the Indonesian siomay. In Australia, it developed into dim sim. (wikipedia)
• • •


Not often that I get even one answer that has a direct connection to Binghamton, NY (where I live), and today I got two. One of IBM's four predecessor companies was the Bundy Manufacturing Company, "the first time-recording company in the world to produce time clocks" (wikipedia), which was headquartered in Binghamton, NY (28A: Early giant in punch-card tabulating systems). That company eventually merged with three others and moved down the street to Endicott, NY, where IBM maintained a research lab and offices until they began to pull out in the '90s (they only just ended their lease in Endicott three years ago, despite having no presence here to speak of for a quarter century). The business school at Binghamton University is named after Thomas J. Watson, the chairman and CEO of IBM who oversaw its rise to a global concern in the first half of the 20th century. Here's some more fun facts about Thomas J. Watson:
Watson authorized providing Nazi Germany with data processing solutions and involved IBM in cooperation throughout the 1930s and until the end of World War II, profiting from both the German and American war efforts. A leading self-made industrialist, he was one of the richest men of his time when he died in 1956. (wikipedia)
Amoral profiteering and the punch clock! A real testament to the healing balm of capitalism. So next time you think of the dehumanizing effects of modern industrialization on the labor force, think Binghamton! The other connection this puzzle has to Binghamton is more tenuous, but I was there for it, front and center—and that is, the TEBOWING of the Binghamton Rumble Ponies (the Mets AA affiliate). In his home debut, he hit a home run on the First Pitch He Saw. I know because I was standing about 30 feet away from him when he did it:


["Are you kidding me!? ... There's no way that just happened!"—that's me]

Having witnessed that "historic" moment did not help me at all with TEBOWING, though (30D: Signature QB move included as a feature in 2012's Madden NFL 13 video game) … or not much. I mean, at least I knew the guy's name, so that helped. But I don't really know what TEBOWING is, and the idea that I'd know what was happening in Madden fourteen years ago is hilarious. Oh, no wait, I looked it up and I absolutely know what TEBOWING is, or knew. I just forgot. It's his little one-kneed "thinker" / prayer pose. It became a meme. A fad. It had its moment. That moment is gone, along with Tebow's professional sports career.

"Tebowing" is a neologism for the act of kneeling on one knee in prayer specifically with one's head bowed and an arm resting on the one bent knee, a form of genuflecting. It is derived from Tebow's propensity for kneeling and praying. The origin of the phrase is credited to fan Jared Kleinstein, who posted a picture with friends on Facebook, in which they mimicked a pose of Tebow following the Broncos' comeback overtime victory over the Dolphins on October 23, 2011. The popularity of the picture led Kleinstein to set up a website showing pictures submitted by people depicting various interpretations of "Tebowing" all over the world. After two-and-a-half months, the site received 20,000 photograph submissions and 20 million page views from 2 million unique visitors. The New York Times wrote "it can be hard to tell whether [people Tebowing] are celebrating or mocking [Tebow] for his virtuous ways." (wikipedia)
The non-Binghamton parts of this puzzle were ... fine. The middle felt kind of flat to me. It's always impressive when constructors are able to cross so many long answers like that at the center of the grid, but TEEHEEHEE crossing HAHAS really put a damper on things, and TRADE DEAL and PEAR TARTS are just a lot of common letters. I think the most interesting thing in that heap of answers is SIDE BANGS (26A: Part of an asymmetrical hairstyle). The worst, of course, is WEBISODES, a portman-no if I've ever saw one (surpassed in its ugliness only by its cousin, WEBINARS) (35A: Online show pieces). The puzzle is solid enough, just not very exciting. Since I don't really care about Madden or Survivor and don't know much "airline lingo" and am not really the target audience for STEM-based puns (32D: A bit corrupt, perhaps? = DATA ROT), this puzzle mostly just wasn't for me. I can see it's sturdily made, but solving it was something of a shrug.


Really uneven difficulty today, with the NW filling itself in pretty quickly (the opposite of yesterday), but the center being hard for me to get at. I basically had to circle the middle, coming at it from three corners, before it started to fall. First break was guessing TEE HEE HEE off the last HEE, then taking that "T" down with TRAIN, then over with TALON, then down to the far SW corner with ... TIKIS (37D: Highly prized rewards on "Survivor" = TARPS) (it's been ages since I watched Survivor, a show I associate with opening the floodgates of reality TV, which has generally, by and large, with few exceptions, been a scourge on American society). 


Between not knowing TARPS and having AVER for AVOW (kealoa!), (40A: Assert) and having both WAVE TO and WAVE AT before WAVE HI (yuck), that corner was probably the hardest of the corners, but the other corners were pretty easy, so it all evened out.

Bullets:
  • 31A: Desserts that may feature frangipane (PEAR TARTS) — I know "frangipane" had something to do with almonds, but that did not help me get to PEAR ...
  • 5D: Actress Price of the 2000s sitcom "Grounded for Life" (MEGYN) — "2000s" = 2001-2005. I have zero memory of this show's existence, and wouldn't have known this name anyway (she has gone on to roles in more recent shows that I also didn't watch: Rules of Engagement (2007-13), The Ranch (2016-20)).
[I do recognize some of these actors, including Kevin Corrigan, who is perfect in the perfect movie Walking & Talking (1996)]
  • 14D: Critical response concerning a piece of fiction? ("YOU LIED TO ME") — I know you need "Critical" for your little "fiction" misdirection, but "YOU LIED TO ME" is just a "response concerning a piece of fiction," a statement of fact. Nothing inherently "critical" about it ... though I guess it is hard to imagine someone saying "YOU LIED TO ME" in an approving fashion.
  • 36D: Pudding typically served with "neeps and tatties" (HAGGIS) — that's parsnips and potatoes. I think. Hang on ... nope, turnips and potatoes (specifically mashed potatoes). I studied in Scotland for a semester and the only HAGGIS I had was from a takeaway shop (not ... good).

That's all for today. See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

P.S. Thanks to everyone for the "happy 20th anniversary" wishes in the comments yesterday. Very sweet of you to take the time.  

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

92 comments:


  1. Mostly Medium for a Saturday, but I had trouble in the SW. Overall Medium-Challenging. Liked it more than @Rex did.
    * * * * _

    Overwrites:
    WE’RE okay before WE’RE GOOD at 16A.
    My “Mystic Pinball” singer was John raiTT before he was John HIATT (24A).
    My Mother used to say CATTY corner (39A), but it seems to me that most people say kiTTY corner.
    Guessed wrong at the AVer/AVOW trap (40A).
    At 46D I was thinking the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe, so mST before PST.
    For rang at 47A I had callED before PHONED, and as a result I changed WAVE HI (35D) to WAVE at before changing it back.

    WOEs:
    I didn’t take Minnesota Geography in school, but if I had I would’ve flunked the part about Duluth being SSW of Minneapolis (1D).
    I don’t know what shumai is in the 1A clue, so I didn’t know that one STEAMS them.
    Actress MEGYN Price at 5D or her show, but fairly easy to get from crosses.
    Singer John HIATT (24A).
    The first part of SIDEBANGS at 26A.
    QB move TEBOWING (30D). At first I thought maybe Tush push.
    I knew 31D PELOTON but couldn’t retrieve it from the memory banks.
    At 37D, TARPS as rewards on “Survivor” (never watched the show).

    Fell into the “kite trap” at 37A, thinking the clue referred to the airborne toy instead of the bird.
    It took me way too long to get RETiNA (43A). I knew bEauty wouldn’t work because the NA was solid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:46 AM

      All of Nevada is on Pacific time!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous 11:46 AM is correct. Pacific time on both sides of Lake Tahoe. So the clue isn’t ambiguous
      My brain is filled with mostly useless geography trivia and so 2 answers were gimmes for me. SSW (the Duluth Minneapolis one) and this one

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:56 AM

    I fell into all the traps but still pulled it out. Not mad about seeing TEEHEEHEE again so soon, or seeing DATAROT at all, but that’s probably just me. Good puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm …. A three-stack crossing a five-stack. Try making one of those, or better yet, try making one of those and keeping the grid sans junk.

    I saw a video a few days ago of a six-year-old who solved a Rubik’s cube five times in a row, averaging 4.52 seconds per solve, for a female world record. Creating a grid like today’s is maybe not that, but it’s not far away.

    So high props to Brian for coming up with this answer set.

    And high props as well for the cluing. My five favorite clues, it turns out, are all original. [A bit corrupt, perhaps?] for DATA ROT – Hah! And what a way to class up RETINA with [It’s in the eye of the beholder]!

    Add seven NYT answer debuts for freshness, including the terrific WE’RE GOOD, and much brain-loving resistance, and this was rich with happy-pings for me, Brian. Thank you, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a ball buster to start - low word count and that funky center. The big guy summarizes the ugliness - I’d further the TEBOW shade given the accusations that came out yesterday.

    Icy Blue Heart

    YOU LIED TO ME, GET A GRIP, SPEED READER are all top notch. New NUT PINE from pignolis. Needed most of the crosses with MEGYN and SIDE BANGS.

    No Life SINGEd Her

    Pleasant enough solve for a rainy and windy Saturday morning. Lester Ruff’s Stumper is a highly segmented animal that should keep you occupied during this storm.

    The ELEVEN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, accusations that came out ":yesterday" wouldn't have been able to influence a puzzle that ran today.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous7:29 AM

    Harder than yesterday which is as it should be. Wanted DEAD HEADING to be [Something] SEATING which delayed the conclusion by a good few minutes. Good Saturday puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:12 AM

      I held on to JUMP SEATING to the bitter end.

      Delete
  6. I confidently entered spellbinder for page-turner. Took some undoing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey All !
    Nigh impossible to finish puz without a couple of cheats. Ah, me. Looked up HAGGIS (which I know of, but apparently not the names of the ingredients in Scottish), and PELOTON (which I also know of, but it just wouldn't come into the ole brain). Did manage to get everything else to gel together.

    Thate HI part of WAVEHI was quite difficult to discern. Also, RETINA. Had bEauty at first, naturally, then coroNA. Managed to fill middle section in before any of the corners. Weird how that happens.

    We get TEEHEEHEE again. Odd. SIDE BANGS, interesting. Is that where you comb your hair to basically flap in the wind off to one side? Like emo kids? In SW, put in SE_TET, and was thinking either P or X, forgot it could be the S.
    Deciding twixt FLA or MIA for the Marlins. Didn't they change from one to the other?

    Thanks all in YesterComments for the PCP explanation. Apparently I don't go to the doctor enough to know what that was!

    Welp, hope y'all have a great Saturday!

    No F's - That STEAMS me. Was there a memo I missed that said no F's in Themelesses?
    RooMonster
    DarrinV

    ReplyDelete
  8. WAVEHI is terrible. And it crosses WEBISODES! Ugh. I'm a big NFL fan, but I don't watch much college grid, so TEBOWING was an unknown. So the SW defeated me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:10 AM

      Tom Tebow used that gesture throughout his NFL career. In fact, the picture Rex used to demonstrate the pose was from his tenure with the Denver Broncos.

      Delete
    2. DAVinHOP12:02 PM

      Tim Tebow (evangelical Christian, white guy) takes a knee to publicize his beliefs and is celebrated. Colin Kaepernick (Baptist, bi-racial but self-identifies as Black) takes a knee to publicize his beliefs and...presumably you know the rest (which is why we'll never see the word "Kaepernicking").

      Sorry, we recently saw Kaepernick on the Daily Show and so this comparison came to mind.

      Delete
  9. Stuck with the traditional boy/girl duality: WASABI

    Collateral damage in wartime: SIDEBANGS

    Doctorspeak: MEGYN, You ENT.

    Saw John Hiatt decades ago in a small club in NYC opening for I-forget-whom. He was very good.

    Enjoyed the puzzle -- a good workout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:19 PM

      WASABI being re-parsed like that feels like something I've already seen in a cryptic!

      Delete
  10. Anonymous7:53 AM

    Not fun from start to finish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:40 PM

      Barely started, could not finish. No 🎈for me.

      Delete
  11. Wow, as much as I love shumai, I could not get started on this one. Gunk free and complex, but felt it was loaded with trivia. This was one of those puzzles where the longs were easier to get than the shorts. Props for the clues and overall construction, felt it was a tougher challenge than Rex did, but then that’s why he leads this blog…

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:57 AM

    I just saw Tebow's name in an article yesterday. Check this out if you want to know what he's up to now: https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2026/09/onward-christian-suckers-the-tim-tebow-story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what comes across my algorithm now that you sent me to lawyers guns money blog

      Delete
  13. Thanks, Lewis, for pointing out the extra double meaning in "A BIT corrupt" for DATAROT.... I missed it until just now. : ) Great puzzle. DEADHEADING is always great, but I only knew the gardening meaning. Didn't we just have TEEHEEHEE not too long ago? How many times will it appear in 2026? 64 words, 10 threes. Gorgeous middle section. I am proud of myself for getting those 3 downs pretty early.... but still couldn't figure out PEARS and WEB for a while. Biggest problem for me was the SE where I had kiTTY and SONNET for the longest time.... CRATE finally made me realize it was going to be CATTY-corner and then I was OK again. Thank, Brian, for a great Saturday morning solve! **** from me. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Strange timing on Tim Tebow since he's been in the news this week for his ties to a financially questionable organization.

    The weird cursor feature when solving on a computer disappeared, so our short national nightmare is over. I guess we'll never know what led to this bug or if complaints to NYT had anything to do with it getting fixed.

    ReplyDelete

  15. TEEHEEHEE again. That needs to be purged from wordlists pronto. Having it cross HAHAS did not make it any better.

    Again a little corner gave me fits; this time, the SW. TARPS of course was impossible. And after WAVE 'to' and WAVE 'at' I was out of ideas there.

    WoEs today: HIATT, SIDE BANGS, MEGYN, shumai.

    ReplyDelete
  16. No woosh this AM soldiered on and go 'er done, but this had a number of WTF;s that I will probably never run into again, viz., WEBISODES, SIDEBANGS, a NUTPINE, DATAROT, Ms. MEGYN, and the TARPS from "Survivor", which reminds me that "reality tv" is an oxymoron.

    Some snags were on me, EARTEST before EAREXAM, spelled PELOTON wrong, ditto for Mr. HIATT (not HYATT) forgot about the W on TEBOW and did the OFL thing of WAVETO and WAVEAT before WAVEHI (yuck). My English daughter-in-law and her daughter always refer to dessert as "pudding:, which made HAGGIS hard to see. Not a dessert.

    When our boys were small and used forbidden words the consequence was not the taste of soap but a dab of WASABI. Very effective.

    This one put up a fight, BC, Bodacious Construction but definitely not in my wheelhouse. Thanks for some thorny fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A SPEEDREADER, I take it, is someone who DREADS SPEE?

    It's nice to see AVOW today. I mean, there have been so so many instances of AVER lately that the AVERAGE AVERAGE is 5.2 per week, and that's got me in mean mode.

    SIDEBANGS sure sounds more like quickies than like haircuts.

    ELEVEN NINERS doth an offense make.

    I once read a massive book because I generally like tomes. But it contained so many falsehoods that at the end all I could think was YOULIEDTOME.

    Remember folks, without Rex you couldn't have an EAREXAM. Nice fun quick solve today. Thanks, Brian Callahan.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Niallhost9:28 AM

    Always appreciate when I have to chip away at a Saturday puzzle, getting things wrong and then trying new answers, as long as the puzzle is ultimately solvable. And this fit the bill for me. Enjoyed the slog in average Saturday time. 29:20

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous9:47 AM

    Finished it, but it was a slog. Blah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:00 PM

      I agree! Like flat soda.

      Delete
  20. I was going to complain about two professional football teams plus one football-based video game in one grid. Fortunately, I looked up the Marlins first and learned that they play baseball, so I was saved from that embarrassment. At least I knew the NINERS, and vaguely remembered Tebow. I guess taking a knee is OK sometimes.

    This was a real workout for me, with so many tricky clues. I enjoyed it after the fact. I had to keep reminding myself that clues are not definitions; If you order SEAR(S)ed tuna and it comes back scorched you will not be happy.

    WEBISODES is not just an ugly word, it's ridiculous. An online show is just a show. Most of the shows we watch on a TV set are actually online, so an episode is an episode regardless of the technology. Webinar may be ugly, but at least it means something.

    I wasn't sure I liked ALI and ALY in the same puzzle, but decided that I do.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous10:05 AM

    I saw others comment but no links yet to the Mother Jones story on Tebow's ties to the ripoff wealth seminar. Saw this morning that he has "paused" his relationship with them due to the backlash: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2026/09/life-surge-the-gospel-of-high-yields-inside-tim-tebows-favorite-wealth-seminar/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never put together that kneeling for Tim Tebow was (mostly) highly praised as a symbol of his beliefs, but Colin Kaepernick was (mostly) vilified for essentially the same pose...

    Interesting about IBM WWII history, "behind every great fortune lies a great crime" holds true again...

    I thought Rex would lose it over TEEHEEHEE crossing HAHA.

    I wanted DEBT (as an answer) twice for TRADEdebt, and result of a shopping spree.

    I'm surprised RP found the NW easy, it was a murderers row of downs:
    1. random direction 2. broadcast network 3. medical term 4. anthropology term 5. obscure actress with non-standard spelling 6. vague "labor" clue

    Being into birds, I thought of TALON right away for kite, but figured that was my bias and it must be part of the flying toy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:44 AM

      Amen and me too for your first three points.

      Delete
    2. DAVinHOP12:09 PM

      @burtonkd, I made the same comparison (Tebow, Kaepernick, and their poses) before reading your post. Amen (pun intended) indeed.

      Delete
  23. Ah, Thanks Egs for pointing out that REX is in the puzzle today !!!! cute

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous10:14 AM

    Can someone explain HAHAS to me? I don’t get it as the answer for its clue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:46 AM

      A gag causes a laugh

      Delete
    2. A comedy gag is a quick joke, physical antic, or humorous visual trick designed to provoke sudden laughter. (Per AI)

      Delete
    3. Anonymous10:49 AM

      Gag meaning joke or prank, reflex meaning you can’t help laughing at said joke or prank.

      Delete
  25. Old Ned10:18 AM

    On the slightly easy side of medium. Only trouble up top was SENTries instead of SENTINAL.

    Most of my problems were in the SW. AVer/AVOW? Tim Tebo "kneeling and praying afternevery play" didn't fit, nor did "hotel room and a bath" at 37D. But overall a worthy Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Overall just what I want from a saturday puzzle with one exception. TEBOWING - really ?!!!! extra demerits for crossing with what could have been AVOW or AVER or AVOW finally.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hard for me, lots of stuff I didn’t know and couldn’t easily suss out. But I knew Rex would not like TEEHEEHEE crossing HAHAS!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous10:49 AM

    The power of a comma: You lied, tome.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The depths of my denseness today are stunning. I’m blaming my two vaccines yesterday. But really, IslETS in the NE and WAVE to in the SW gave me a four square DNF. Darn it.

    I've never seen a single episode of Survivor but I know the basic premise. By the time I had TAR in place for 27D, I figured a tarp would be a very useful thing to have. (I have watched many seasons of “Alone”, the survival show mostly set in the Arctic and a tarp is one of the items everyone brings with them.)

    Brian Callahan, thanks for the challenge. That wide open central area was hard to get into.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous10:58 AM

    TEEHEEHEE again, and so soon? Didn’t like it the first time, and liked it even less the second. Also, way too much trivia in the SW.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Medium for me, and fun to solve. My way in was WASABI x SENTriEs, as I interpreted the watch party as a group. That mistake slowed me down for a while, until BANGS and DEAL showed me my error. After that, the quick write-ins DEADHEADING, PEAR TARTS, PELOTON, and GENDER GAP gave me the scaffolding I needed to finish the lower tier. Up top, in the NW, a guess at IBM was the key to THE BEEB and finishing from there.

    ReplyDelete
  32. i generally only post when the OP says something like penna is not a legit abbrev. but this is my story about coming here.
    in 2011 i took my family to stay in a cabin in yosemite. no internet. but we got the NYT digest - that little 10-12 page fax you got on islands. and it had the xword. i never tried them because i dont like opera, classical music, poetry, the bible, dont watch popular tv or movies. i do math and logic puzzles so i thought i didnt stand a chance. with nothing else to do i tried it, and fortunately it was monday so i actually finished it. the next day i almost finished. on wed, i got all but ~10 words.
    so i came home emboldened, to find that i could only get a few words on friday and maybe 1 or 2 on saturday. thursday was unfair because i didnt have enough confidence to know that the number of letters was wrong. i found this blog in order to get the solution. now saturday and thursday are my favorite days. i cant remember the last time i didnt finish one. i only know CENA and CERA from these, and i still have no idea who either of them are which makes any michael ____ a kealoa. i come here every morning to get some commentary, after years of lurking i contributed to the blog yday for the first time.
    coming here kind of completes the daily process of doing the puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:05 PM

      You had nothing to fo in Yosemite?
      I think you did it wrong.

      Delete
    2. LOL. not hiking up a waterfall after dark. 3 people died while we were there.

      Delete
  33. Huge John Hiatt fan. Have seen him many times. Loved that. Tebow is the news lately for associating with right-wing grifters. In today's NYT even!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous11:08 AM

    You probably missed this, but Tim Tebow is now embroiled in a major investigation into his involvement in a predatory Christian investment organization. So both Binghamton-adjacent answers are examples of the healing balm of unfettered amoral capitalism!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Medium. Me too for the SW giving the most resistance.

    I did not know HAGGIS is a pudding.

    TEBOWING, PEAR TARTS, NUT PINE, MEGYN, TARPS, and HIATT were also WOES.

    Costly erasures - idolS before TARPS, misspelling SENTINEL, and @Rex AVer before AVOW.

    Not much junk, nice central vertical stack, a smattering of sparkle, liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ChrisS4:33 PM

      I thought the Brits used pudding to refer to desserts, which haggis definitely isn't. "NutPine" doesn't appear to be a real thing, I Google it only get pine nut results. Puzzle was meh (hahas, niners, Texan,...) to bad (nutpine, teeheehee, datarot,...)with a few good clues/answers (Hiatt, sentinel, wasabi...). I say kitty-corner so i looked up the etymology and catty seems more correct as it comes from the French quatre which English speakers wrote as cater and referred to the four sides of a die.

      Delete
    2. ChrisS
      Curious about the use of the word pudding I looked up HAGGIS.
      First thing that comes up
      Savory pudding.
      Pudding can be used fir a savory dish in England I looked that up just now
      The clue is tricky but I liked it.

      Delete
  36. No idea on tebowing, had elbowing for the longest time. Sentries before sentinel which seems like a singular answer to a plural clue (watch party). Struggled in the middle but the hardest answer to parse was 45a get a grip.
    Great puz for a cold rainy Saturday morning

    ReplyDelete
  37. Stillwell11:54 AM

    What’s with all the TEEHEEHEE’s?? And with the same clue, if I’m remembering correctly?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous11:55 AM

    FWIW Deadheading is how airlines move crew members to position them for other flights or send them home. Free travel is usually called Space-A’ing or Non-Reving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew DEADHEADING as driving the cab of a truck with no trailer/no load (often on the return trip, it;s usually the dreariest, most money-losing part of a driver's job) -- never new the airline term before.

      Delete
    2. In logistics generally, DEADHEADING is traveling without paying cargo. As used in the passenger airline industry, it is giving a passenger seat to a crew member who needs to be repositioned, and therefore losing the fare that seat would otherwise earn. But that crew member is on duty and being paid while deadheading, so they are not "riding free" any more than the pilots and working cabin crew are "riding free." It's not at all the same thing as a comped flight for an off-duty employee.

      Delete
  39. Overall, I enjoyed the puzzle. My solving experience was similar to Rex’s: started out very easy up top then slowed down considerably in the middle.

    As for TEBOWING, my feelings about Tim Tebow are probably similar to Rex’s attitude towards J.K.Rowling. And, arguably, with his anti-abortion crusade he’s had a negative impact on the lives of more people. (I hope Rex stumbles across this comment.) Also, the clue was misleading. (Which, of course, is fair in crosswords.) It’s not only quarterbacks who kneel with gratitude to a god who cares enough about them to facilitate a completed pass but allows children to be starved, tortured, and killed in venues far away from NFL stadiums, but other team players as well. I kept trying to come up with a uniquely quarterback move” such as the “tush push.” Truly I was disgusted with the correct answer.

    ReplyDelete
  40. If Tim Tebow is getting help from God through supplication I would say that's cheating. His entire athletic record should be invalidated.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous12:19 PM

    It’s “Ali” (when we were kings) not Aly. How is that correct? What am I missing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answer to 8D is indeed ALI. It's 34D that is ALY.

      Delete
  42. Anonymous12:23 PM

    Never mind my Ali comment. Was conflating the Raisman clue with the When were kings clue. My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  43. DAVinHOP12:28 PM

    Sorry to react to Rex's first write-up in his twenty-first year, but I see a much greater GAP between yesterday's tour de force and today's. Not so much critical of the write-up, but the mere half-star difference in the ratings, 3-1/2 versus 3 (in my book could have been 4-plus to two-plus).

    The criticisms already pointed out (including by Rex) are well-founded. We were sufficiently annoyed to resort to looking up the clue to get HAGGIS; in hindsight, we could have sussed that out. The overall construction is certainly impressive, but too many unfamiliarities for our (a chocolate versus vanilla preference issue) tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  44. My brother-in-law is a pilot, so I felt the need to point out that DEADHEADING is very weirdly clued. I mean, yes, it is free, but just because the airline needs the employee in another city for another flight. It’s a “free” commute to a job. Nice of the airline not to charge its employees to go to work, I guess, but not quite the same as all those flights he and my sister get to fly standby for free. Took me a long time to get that one *because* I know what it means, which is annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Tebow won the Heisman as a sophmore at Florida, the only time a soph won it. His Florida teams under Urban Meyer won the national title in 2006 and 2008. In between, Umich beat them in the Capital One Bowl, a game that set a record for my blood pressure. Go Blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:33 PM

      Herschel Walker should’ve won it his sophomore year. Universally regarded now as highway robbery tgat he didn’t.

      Delete
  46. Well, this is what I look for in a Saturday. Challenging work out that had me (very) slowly chiseling away bit by little bit.

    At first, I thought this was going to be a breeze. The NE fell fairly quickly as WASABI came in with no letters and that was all I needed to whoosh through that neighborhood. Then things came to a grinding but interesting halt.

    While I once again took pride in a long answer that came immediately with no help with BEMYGUEST, the rest of the grid took a *lot* of work. But it was all fun and well worth it.

    I had slow downs all over the place. I left in *beauty* at 43A forever as I thought it just had to be right. None of the crosses were gimmes so the SW took me some real thinking. I think it was TEBOWING that finally fell and the "I" made something click. RETINA is a great answer for the clue so that was an audible "ahh, nice!" moment.

    SE was just as sticky for me. I slapped down *ego* at 32A for what makes you, you and got nowhere. Funny that HAGGIS was the first to finally fall. The double G's were good inroads to GETAGRIP and GENDERGAP (A-one fill in my book) and slowly the rest came to me. Had to take a wild guess at the NUT part of NUTPINE but it was a satisfying end to that corner.

    Also *fla* instead of the correct MIA caused more trouble than two incorrect letters should have, but there you go.

    I wanted "You're dead to me" to fit into 14D as that sounds way more "critical" than YOULIEDTOME, but that answer works just fine (and gee, it the right one and fits in the grid!)

    I loved seeing DEADHEADING, my wife does the gardening bit of that, I'm the fan of the band. Though more of a Dead fan than a Dead Head, but just as obsessed.

    I thought the stack in the middle was pretty great. TEEHEEHEE takes a little bit away from the elegance but the rest make up for it.

    So much more to like today. Loved the in-the-language stuff like WEREGOOD, GETAGRIP and GENDERGAP. On the last one, I was psyched that the answer for a STEM concern was not something technical/cyber related. That was refreshing.

    Thanks @Rex for the Binghamton info! As I mentioned when we met (and probably spoke about here too often), I was an undergraduate at (what was then called) SUNY Binghamton. That was the '80s and IBM was already making an exit which was changing the city a bit. But I look at those years through the rose colored lenses of an 18-21 year old so my memories of Endicott are of Pat Mitchel's Ice Cream, and Binghamton trivia to me consists of Rod Serling's place of birth, and the Dead playing Broome County arena in '82(??). And, since you all are just dying to know, the Dead's concert at the gym on campus there in 1970 is rated as one of the top 5 ever. I promise I won't go into who rates that kind of stuff and what criteria is used, I'll just say it's pure science.

    Anyway, thank you Brian for a proper Saturday workout. This was perfect for a Nor'easter(ish) day in New Jersey!

    ReplyDelete
  47. My wife is from Orkney Scotland. Turnips and Tatties mashed together is called clapshot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spent a week in the Orkneys in the late nineties. Old Man of Hoy, Ring of Brodgar, Standing Stones of Stenness, Maes Howe ... amazing stuff all around

      Delete
  48. Anonymous1:03 PM

    Agree fairly bland puzzle. At least very low bad fill. I was literally watching Pablo Torre's expose on Tebow while I filled in the clue... instantly solved the aver/avow kealoa but wow what a strange coincidence and wow Tebow (and a lot of other famous folk) look really bad...

    ReplyDelete
  49. Anonymous1:03 PM

    Hard for me - weird words like TEBOWING which I had to google. I also had to google PEARTART and TEXAN, and the HI of wave. Well constructed Saturday puzzle with some cute clues like the ones for RETINA and YOU LIED TO ME.
    TIL another meaning of DEADHEADING , WEBISODE and PELOTON. Also NUTPINE! Thanks Rex for the IBM story!

    ReplyDelete
  50. This SatPuz struts its themeless stuff, right from its initial appearance -- with them four Jaws of Themelessness. Chillin.
    Weren't too hard, tho. Still had its share of no-knows, but the clues seemed a tad easier than yesterday's, at our house.
    Example: It started out with SSW/WEREGOOD, which M&A splatzed in immediately.

    That center area full of longballs did eventually start to gnaw some at the precious nanoseconds, however. sooo ... M&A was no SPEEDsolvER, overall.

    staff weeject pick: LAP. It had the only Across ?-marker clue, as opposed to them 5 Down ones.

    some fave stuff from those central wide-open spaces: YOULIEDTOME. SPEEDREADER. DEADHEADING. 2026: The year the TEEHEEHEE. And on the rim: GENDERGAP. BEMYGUEST.

    Thanx for the challenge, Mr. Callahan dude. Nice puzzisode.

    Masked & Anonymo2Us

    p.s.
    Runt puzzle:
    **gruntz**

    M&A

    ReplyDelete
  51. I knew who Tebow was (and yes, I dislike him deeply, but unlike some I don't dissect the names of public figures with an ideoloigcal knife to decide whether they're "nice" or "correct" enough to appear in a puzzle) -- but I never knew there was a "thing" called TEBOWING (athletes have long used various religious gestures to celebrat achievements or prep themelves for action, and I didn't give it a second thought). After I realized SCRAMBING would't work (same number of letters), it looked to me as if TBONING (some kind of tricky move or pattern?) must the be right answer. Hung me up for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:12 PM

      Why the dislike of Tebow?

      Delete
  52. Excellent Saturday. This was a bit more than double yesterday's time. The NW and NE corners filled in easy but the center and bottom corners were a bear.
    I gave myself a big stumbling block coming out of the NE with my SENTRIES/SENTINEL write over . I only remembered HIATT near the end of the solve. Only the SW initially offered traction with TRAIN , TALON and NEE. At one point I thought the QB "feature " could be ELBOWING just off the possibility of AVOW and WEB- something. Going from WAVETO to
    AT and finally HI caused a brief CHIMED/ PHONED write over. TARPS was as out there as PELOTON and TEBOWING. I can only imagine they use the TARPS to hide under in shame.
    No idea how I knew DEADHEADING was an airline term. Before that went in I briefly had the SPELLBINDER/ SPEEDREADER write over. MIA fixed that.
    No clean finish today as I had to cha ge KITTY to CATTY after the "so close" message. It was a disappointing ending but a top notch solve otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Rachel1:40 PM

    Riding free as an employee in airline lingo is called nonrev-ing. (I don't know how to spell it, but I know how to say it.) I know that because my mom was a flight attendant for 43 years.

    Two things are wrong with deadheading as the answer. 1) Deadheading is specific to when a flight attendant or pilot needs to get to or from an airport for work, but is not how you'd refer to the many other times they fly for free. 2) Deadheading is specific to flight attendants and pilots, but other employees may fly for free too and they aren't deadheading.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Wow, pretty smooth and finished clean in 21 minutes; good time for me. It seemed longer because there were a few stubborn typeovers. AVER before AVOW because I've never heard of TEBOW much less TEBOWING, and can't remember the middle vowel in PELOTON, so TEBORING and PELETON looked fine. But not too many other Unknown Names... MEGYN is about it!

    Plus it really helped that DEADHEADING was a gimme, strictly because of the memorable scene from Catch Me If You Can. Teenage Leo DiCaprio is pretending to be a passenger airline pilot; he enters the cockpit and a pretty stewardess asks brightly: "Are you my deadhead?" That was a good movie.

    SEARS and SINGES with "Scorches" and "Toasts"! ALI and ALY! Unknowns "Shumai" and "frangipane". And 4 down "Anthropopithecus"???... I wanted EPOCH.

    ReplyDelete
  55. produce seeds large enough to be worth harvesting, such as the Stone Pine, Korean Pine, and Pinyon Pine



    So this was a bit of a slog. Not a lot of sparkle. The colloquial stuff was decent (WE’RE GOOD, BE MY GUEST) but the longs across the middle just sat there occupying space. I mean SIDE BANGS was kind of interesting because I instantly thought of our 30ish year old tattooed friend who does weird things to her hair like shaving some parts right off while leaving chunks of various lengths - dyed green and purple - on the sides. Post solve look-up revealed that SIDE BANGS are much less interesting.

    But TRADE DEAL and WEBISODE? Ho hum.

    And PEAR TART with the frangipane clue? Wow! Frangipane is used in about a thousand tarts and desserts. That’s like clueing [Vehicle with wheels] for TRUCK.

    And NUT PINE seemed a bit awkward to me so I looked it up, too, only to find myself redirected to “pine nuts” over and over. Only one site used the term NUT PINE and it was offering this definition: trees that “produce seeds large enough to be worth harvesting, such as the Stone Pine, Korean Pine, and Pinyon Pine”. These are real pines. NUT PINE is not.

    TEBOWING. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please excuse my opening line in my previous post. I'm getting very sloppy with my cut and paste work.

      Delete
  56. Right off the bat you lose all credibility when you stuff TEEHEEHEE into your grid and pretend it’s an answer (unless of course you are a member of the bar).

    Similarly, if the best you can do is utilize specialized or niche terminology in your clues to increase the difficulty level, my enthusiasm for your puzzle plummets quickly (see OTOSCOPY, ANTHROPOITHECUS and FRANGIPANE for example).

    A lot of other answers like HAGGIS, DATA ROT, and NUT PINE, while they may not be “niche” are far enough out if the mainstream (for this solver at least) that it just amplifies the “gotcha” vibe I got throughout this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @SouthsideJohnny. I'm probably the least STEMish guy you'll encounter on this site (artist, farmer, poet) but I kind of liked DATA ROT.

      Delete
  57. "WAVE HI" took me literally hours to parse. Having CARBS before TARPS and (inanely) CAPON before TALON only further mucked things up in that SW corner. Geeeeeez.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:59 PM

      Maybe you were really cold.
      Last night here, tge temps plunged so low that I saw a chicken with a capon.

      Delete
  58. Anonymous5:06 PM

    Why does HHH mean ETA’s please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H is the symbol for Eta, a letter in the Greek alphabet.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8:40 PM

      Thank you!

      Delete
  59. I had a clean finish, with no cheats, but it was slow-going and not especially fun. Had many of the initial wrong answers others had, and also had to get away from Emily and Emma's Sonnet and make my way to SESTET before I could figure out the SE corner, which had other stumbling blocks (RATIONS, CATTY). Luckily I knew HAGGIS, which helped. Haggis is made with sheep's offal, and it's not bad when served with plenty of whiskey sauce, But I can't say I would order it specially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a criticism, @Jnlzbth, but a little nugget that might be useful. If the country from which the spirit originates does not have an E in its name, neither will the whisky. Canada, Scotland, Japan: whisky. United States and Ireland: whiskey. All good stuff, but you've probably had the E-less version on your haggis. Again, not a criticism, just a note from a whisky (and whiskey) lover.Cheers.

      Delete
  60. So many of everyone's errors and fixes, and I had to make it to the finish line by recognizing PELOTON as a bicycle/sports equipment brand without having any idea what the clue “Main pack in a bicycle race” means. And I follow The Tour. Help, please.

    I am struggling to decide why I have no real feeling about this one other than that I made it without cheating. No marquee answers, yet another repeat from a very recent puzzle in TEE HEE HEE, and nothing that couldn’t (thankfully) be inferred or flat-out guessed. So on to Sunday with hopes of some cleverness and humor.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Adelante, hazlo.

    I wondered if Rex would post today. Twenty years and then mike drop. Just poof. I hope that's how he ends it one day. No announcement. Nothing. A ghost.

    Pretty tough puzzle for me. Lots of fun to work out the longer answers. I didn't remember KITE being a bird too. And that clue for TARPS, wow.

    So much food, and wrapping up on HAGGIS is brutal.

    I'm thinking rounded isn't any more SHAPELY than squared, octagonal, slender, or any other blob in existence. Why does rounded take the lead today?

    I've worked lots of graveyard in my life and ELEVEN is an early hour. Are we only recognizing the corporate cubicle clock in the NYTXW?

    Listen, for the love of all things that matter, please let TEBOW die. He was an okay college player, a terrible pro, and a very iffy broadcaster. He's only famous for being "for-Jesus" and that's hardly unique in our society. Take him out of your word list.

    I'm off to read comments, and I am guessing I'll find plenty of disgruntlement over TEEHEEHEE crossing HAHAS. I'm betting on this based on a certain lack of appreciation for whimsy we've shown in the past.

    I'm guessing there's no prohibition on a Basque wearing a ball cap, or a Stetson, or a gardening hat, or a tam. There's a homeless dude near my workplace who wears a leather top hat, so does that mean mean it's a hobo hat?

    ❤️ GET A GRIP. YOU LIED TO ME. DEAD HEADING. DATA ROT. This Side Up container.

    Gunkometer--
    People: 6
    Places: 0
    Products: 4
    Partials: 4
    Foreignisms: 2
    --
    Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 16 of 64 (25%)

    Funny Factor: 6 😅

    🔥 Ooh-la-la! 🔥TEE HEE (squared)

    Uniclues:

    1 SS
    2 99 with halos.
    3 One for the birds.
    4 Emulate Itt over time.
    5 Makes a poetry pyre.
    6 Dude on his knees begging to evolve.
    7 One who says, "Scottish food sucks."

    1 SHAPELY ELEVEN
    2 WE'RE GOOD NINERS
    3 BE MY GUEST TREE
    4 WEAN SIDE BANGS
    5 SINGES SESTET
    6 APE MAN TEBOWING
    7 HAGGIS SENTINEL (~)

    My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Two questions asked by every hopeful suitor. ALONE TIME? WANNA?

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    ReplyDelete