Relative difficulty: Medium
![]() |
| [15A: Ewok's home = ENDOR] |
Theme answers:
- LOOSE CANNON (18A: Unsecured artillery that can slide across the deck)
- THE DOLDRUMS (64A: Equatorial ocean area notorious for lack of winds)
- TOE THE LINE (3D: Stand barefoot in formation along seams of deck planks)
- TIDE OVER (21D: Drift with the natural flow of currents)
- PIPE DOWN (27D: Bosun's whistled call signaling a shift change)
- TAKEN ABACK (32D: Flattened against the masts in a changing wind)
![]() |
| [from The Phantom Tollbooth, illus. Jules Feiffer] |
noun
(used with a plural verb)
a state of inactivity or stagnation, as in business or art.
August is a time of doldrums for many enterprises.
the doldrums,
a dull, listless, depressed mood; low spirits. (dictionary.com)
• • •
Perhaps because of the theme density, the fill gets kind of ugly in places, notably the ODEA / REDD / EKED patch, but mostly it holds up. I had real trouble right out of the gate in the NW. Missed on 1A: "OK," in modern slang ("BET") (I had "DEF"), I had no idea what was meant by 17A: Top starter (ACE) ("oh, baseball") (I was looking for a word or prefix that could precede "Top," I think), and 1D: Has a happy face (BEAMS) had me thinking only GRINS. Total wipeout. Something similar happened in the SW, where I absolutely could not get THE DOLDRUMS from the clue ("THE ... COLD RUMS??"), and so had trouble with much of the surrounding fill. Thought 52A: Part of many a shallow-water ecosystem (REEF) was a REED. Couldn't get COMMA from just the "A" or HOIST from just the "T", so had to go into the far SW corner with no help from crosses to try to work it out, and the first thing I did was write in SCAR at 57D: Bite reminder, maybe (ITCH). So, not a dog bite, but a bug bite. Very last square was the "D" in DMS / DOLDRUMS. I wanted IMS before DMS (65D: Personally contacts online, for short) but that gave me the THE IOL DRUMS, which is intriguingly close to THE OIL DRUMS, but ... whatever, the "D" is what worked. It's weird—I know what THE DOLDRUMS are, and I knew they originally had to do with places of dead calm at sea, but I just couldn't see the phrase today at all. I learned the term young, from The Phantom Tollbooth. But it just wouldn't rise to the surface today, not as clued. Couldn't parse it.
Bullets:
- 24A: Creature of Egyptian myth (SPHINX) — this probably should've been easy, but I think of the SPHINX as a statue, not an actual "creature of myth," so my brain couldn't get past, like, SCARAB beetle.
- 35A: Plow puller of old (MULE) — I wrote in OXEN. Which is plural. Whereas the clue is singular. Sigh.
- 54A: Music genre for some yoga classes (NEW AGE) — I always appreciated the classes where they played real music (actual rock/pop/jazz/blues/country songs one might now). Or better yet, no music. There's something too ... on-the-nose about NEW AGE music in yoga class. Like the music's trying too hard to convince me something cosmic is happening.
- 68A: Character in "Monsters, Inc." (COMMA) — in case it wasn't entirely clear, "Character" is referring to the literal COMMA that is literally in the title, Monsters, Inc.
- 11D: "Sofa, so good" and such (PUNS) — is that a pun? Who says "So-FAH"? "Sofa so good" is something I might non-punnily say when I hit the couch after a long day at work and I no longer feel like using energy to form complete sentences.
- 55D: Jailed New York crime boss (GOTTI) — "Jailed?" More like "Dead for 24 years." But sure, before that, "jailed" I think it's safe to say his general fame is fading, but his crossword fame isn't. That's what happens when your name has such strong grid usefulness. Five letters, four of them common, terminal "I"—that guy's not going anywhere (28 NYTXW appearances, 27 of them following his death in 2002).
That's all for today. See you next time.
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)] =============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Events✏️:
📘 My other blog 📘:
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
✏️Upcoming Crossword Events✏️:
- NEW! Words Are For Crossing—a WFMU Crossword Meet-Up (a WFMU fundraiser) (Jersey City, NJ, Thur., Sep. 17, 2026)
- Midwest Crossword Tournament (Chicago, IL, Sat., Oct. 3, 2026)
📘 My other blog 📘:
- Pop Sensation (vintage paperbacks)






ReplyDeleteEasy. Solved without reading the theme clues.
* * _ _ _
No overwrites, one WOE: I didn't know that "BET" is modern slang for "OK" (1A).
Tepid no doubt - but fine in the end. I liked the nautical slant. Densely themed and well revealed.
ReplyDeleteThe Silos
Overall fill had a sweet scrabbly edge to it. Liked REEF, PEA PODS, BEAMS - not a lot of clunkers here. HOIST, MULE and the great REDD Foxx - I’ll take it after yesterday’s mess.
And I’m hoping the choice won’t blow the HOIST
Enjoyable Wednesday morning solve.
House Where Nobody Lives
I found it easier than Rex did, though I also didn't catch the literal truths within the theme answers. Solved it as a themeless, basically.
ReplyDeleteOnly sticky area was the SW, where I settled on DOLDRUMS as a best-guess and ran the alphabet to get DMS (direct messages?). Didn't anticipate the clue for COMMA as a clever misdirect (Fri.-Sat. level)
Fun for me. Whenever I blanked, a cross was there immediately to keep the momentum going. 3/4 my average time.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed this one! Thanks, @Rex, for filling in the details on Gotti.... I was like, wow, is he still in jail, he must be OLD!!!! But no.... that was a while ago. Very dense them, funny segmentation in the grid..... couldn't finalize the NW, but started with MOTTO, SPHINX, and EDGERS (would have clued this with "puzzle pieces you look for first") and marched straight through the revealer and filled in the whole middle. So I knew what I was looking for. LOOSECANNON was pretty easy, but I couldn't see TiDEOVER or TAKENABACK for a long time. There's actually a lot more nautical-adjacent stuff in the grid... BEAMS, noIRON (when you are sailing in the DOLDRUGS you spend a lot of time "in IRONs"), DEAD (like the wind in said DOLDRUMS), and HOIST. Enjoyed the prefix/suffix pair (ISH/HEMI). and yes, back to SW.... : ) Thanks, Dario, this was a pretty interesting and innovative grid!!!!
ReplyDeleteNice catch on all the nautical stuff - I only noticed HOIST. Ah, and "Semper Fidelis" is the MOTTO of the US Marine..
DeleteMissed the REEF as well (luckily).
DeleteI love idiom origins so this was right up my alley. Knew some of them like toe the line and pipe down but did not realize taken aback and tide over came from nautical origins but probably shoulda. Puzzles like this make me really miss LMS' voice in the blog comments with her always keen convo about words and language.
ReplyDeleteONE COAT? Is it a coat of GREEN PAINT by any chance?
ReplyDeleteI'm surprised this answer didn't get a call out in the blog. It's maybe the best example of the "green paint" phenomena ever. It almost feels like the constructor or the editor were taking a shot across Rex's bow (to use a nautical phrase :)
DeleteWell, I found this one more fun than Rex did. Easy, sure, but more of an enjoyable whoosh-whoosh than yesterday’s type-as-fast-as-you-can puzzle. I liked how Dario Salvucci took the overfamiliar crosswordese AT SEA as the basis for unfamiliar fun facts. Maybe the difference between me and Rex is that I don’t mind being lectured, when the lecturer is telling me something I’m enjoying learning about. Nice work, Dario!
ReplyDeleteThat theme density was off the charts (also nautical-related?)!
ReplyDeleteIt does help to, on occasion, read the clues.
ReplyDeleteIf Rex's main complaint is that the constructor is playing Mr. Smarty Pants, the that has to be seen in light of the brilliance of packing six themers without the solve getting completely out of control.
.
SHEENS: Martin and Charlie
ReplyDeleteAlternate clue for SPADE: With "a," what to call a spade.
Noah was 500 years old when he built the ark, give or take. I'm no Bible expert, but I'm thinking his hearing might not have been that great.
God: HARK!
Noah: Ark?
God: No, HARK.
Noah: What?
God: HARK. It means listen.
Noah: Okay. I'm harking. What do You want?
God: Ark.
Noah: Hark?
God: No, ark.
Noah: That's what I asked before and You said no.
God: I was saying HARK before.
Noah: Ark?
God: No, HARK.
Noah: Oh! Okay, so what do You want?
God: Ark.
Noah: HARK?
God: Arrrrgh.
Noah: Ark?
It's a miracle it ever got built.
*********
I first learned of BET from this Jim Harbaugh commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYU1xUuqWi8
Lovely made me laugh outloud
DeleteYeah, seeing a 60-something guy using millenial/gen z slang was amusing. Thanks for that.
DeleteI liked this one, the theme was a slight challenge to figure out, and interesting to boot. I enjoyed learning the “true” nautical meaning behind all these phrases. It was very evocative of old seafaring days - cannons rolling across the deck, sailors lined up in their bare feet, ships stuck in THEDOLDRUMS, (my favorite answer.)
ReplyDeleteMy reaction exactly. I really liked this puzzle.
DeleteHey All !
ReplyDelete"... it just wouldn't rise to the surface today ..."
I see what you did there Rex!
Neat puz. Quite unusual to have two Themers right next to each other, whether Across, or Down, like in today's puz. Seven overlapping letters in each pair of Down Themers, tough to get any type of clean fill to happen, yet Dario came through in SPADEs. Hardly a whiff of dreck. *CLAPS*
Six Themers and a Reveal, no dreck, WedsPuz difficulty level. Doesn't get too much better. Couple of bonus Theme related words in BEAMS and HOIST.
Hope y'all have a great Wednesday!
One F
RooMonster
DarrinV
As I entered words nonstop I said to myself that Rex will say it is too easy. Was surprised by your reaction.. maybe an age thing? I am one of your senior/oldreaders.
ReplyDeleteThis was also my experience which led me to the same thought! I’m not senior so I don’t think it was an age thing. I can be very literal at times so maybe it was just in my wheelhouse. The only area I had to put thought into was the center north where I happened to end.
DeleteI enjoyed that! To me it was Interesting, if a little too easy. Some of the origins I knew, “toe the line”… “the doldrums”… but others I definitely did not! “Pipe down,” who knew??
ReplyDelete0 days without Star Wars? Hasn't it been like a week? What am I missing?
ReplyDeleteThere are Ewoks in this puzzle.
DeleteI think the question is basically "How many days BEFORE today was the last Star Wars reference?" We're all smart enough to see that he reset it today.
DeleteThe abbreviation for a football center is C, not CTR. Weird clue choice.
ReplyDeleteAnonymous 7:52 AN
DeleteMaybe C on official football related records. But CTR is standard crossword abbreviation for center. The clue didn’t require the official response. Close enough for crosswords Not in the least weird in my opinion.
Jeez - who cares what Ewok’s home is called. Probably the only thing in CrossWorld that is older and more stale than the daily Star Wars crap is those of us who complain about it.
ReplyDeleteToday we have yet another theme that does more to irk and annoy than contribute anything of value to the solving experience (in other words, a typical mid-week NYT crossword puzzle). This probably doesn’t mode well as we move into stunt day tomorrow.
I liked this theme, and I liked it even more because the NYT crossword is so often AT SEA when it comes to nautical terms (c.f. "moor,"). I guess most of them are specific to sailing, but that's fine with me. But I didn't know the origins of most of them, and I didn't know that when your sailing vessel was in irons your sails had been TAKEN ABACK. So I just assumed that if some metaphor was emerging from the crosses, it must be nautical. I went astray with TOE THE mark (which comes from foot-racing, as you might expect), but the rest worked out OK. (Never heard that slang version, but assume it is short for I BET.)
ReplyDeleteI've always wondered about that legend of NERO--if a fiddle is a bowed string instrument, they didn't turn up in Europe for another 800 years.
I loved this puzzle! I found it well designed, light on overused fill, and I learned something fun -- never knew these common expressions were nautical terms. Happy start to the day for me! But to each their own.
ReplyDeleteSargasso Sea has the same number of letters as “the doldrums”—that’s where my ship was becalmed at first.
ReplyDeleteYou know, sometimes there's a clever clue and you can't help but grin when you realize the word and whatever cheekiness is behind it. And sometimes there's a "clever" clue and when you solve it you go "Oh f*ck you." Anyway, Mike, Sully, James P. Waternoose, Celia, Boo, Randal, and Roz are some of the characters that are in Monsters, Inc. I say that for no particular reason...
ReplyDeleteHa!
DeleteI could have done without the clue to1 across and the fill of convo. Overall, I found the puzzle to be very enjoyable.🎈🎈🎊🎊
ReplyDeleteI'm about to begin today's puzzle. I hope and pray that it's the correct level of difficulty for Wednesday. Cheers.
ReplyDeleteI guess I’m not on the same wavelength as Rex today because I found all the ATSEA terms to be extremely interesting (especially LOOSECANNON…whoa…watch out!) and even though I think THEDOLDRUMS origination is kinda, sorta in the back of my mind, I like being reminded. I found the puzzle somewhat easy today (wheelhouse?) but as Roo mentioned, very little, if any, dreck which adds up to a pleasant Wednesday morning solve for me and I would’ve given it 3+ stars.
ReplyDeleteThanks Dario!
I'm with you! Very enjoyable puzzle.
DeleteAs a Navy vet and naval history aficionado, this was fun for me. The number of phrases and words that originate from the sea services is almost Shakespearean, but few people know it. Scuttlebutt. Through and through. Let the cat out of the bag. Etc.
ReplyDelete50 across: When one is watching a ’40’s crime-melodrama, one has . . .
ReplyDeleteAnonymous 8:56 am
DeleteNoir on good one
Before I read the clue I thought the answer had noir in it!
I enjoyed this one more than Rex did because I love learning about the origin of expressions. There are tons of sea-related terms that survive in our modern speech (like overwhelmed) because of how big a part of life seafaring was for the Anglo-Saxons and Norse. The History of English podcast gets into this. That podcast is fantastic and if you enjoy history, languages, etymology, or experiencing life-changing schema shifts in how you view things like language, that podcast is for you. I wish there was a version of that podcast for every language! Luckily there's some decent Youtube content out there to learn about the history of languages across the globe, but obviously nothing as comprehensive and rigorous as that podcast is for English. If anyone knows of such a podcast--and particularly, one about French (can be in French or English)--please let me know.
ReplyDeleteDid anyone else put "mid" right away for 1 across?
I thought Meh. Great puzzle but clues for bet, ace, and ctr were off. Convo?
DeleteThank you so much for the podcast tip, Rachel! Working this puzzle I found myself thinking that it makes sense so much of what we say as English speakers is derived from sea-faring terminology - since England is an island nation with a long nautical history.
DeleteAlso as a Patrick O’Brian fan this puzzle was my cup of grog, despite being on the easy side.
I grew up in Jamaica Plain. I call it a couch
DeleteI enjoyed this one. It made me smile while solving, and I still am. Great flow, fun learning, nothing egregious. I’m looking forward to his next puzzle.
ReplyDeleteThis is a first for me. I found the puzzle very easy and I was sure that that was what Rex would say. Made my day!
ReplyDeleteNative Bostonian here. “So fah, so good” is absolutely said and heard in Boston and surrounds. I say that way too (when I’m in my cups).
ReplyDeleteBut @anon, Bostonian here too and I've never heard it called a "so fah". The puzzle answer obviously had to be PUN, but to us it obviously wasn't one.
DeleteIn fact, if one goes by the legendary Red Sox color commentator, Jerry Remy, the word for the piece of furniture is pronounced "so-fer", as in "pizz-er" (pizza, seriously) of the "here comes the pizz-er" video fame.
DAVinHOP
DeleteYou are right that there is a tendency to add r’s at the end of some words in Southeastern New England, Ideer BUT not to sofa which is sofuh. Of course
So far becomes so fah. I think it’s close enough for crosswords. sofuh/ so fah to be called a pun But Rex doesn’t agree.
Who says so- fah? Just about every Bostonian!
ReplyDeleteLifelong sailor so dead easy for me although I prefer ITCZ to the doldrums
Thought this one was excellent and loved the nautical terms. Well done.
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to the commments from the expert commentariat who disagree with the etymologies of these phrases or the way they are clued. Were those cannons really sliding across the deck, or just not tightly mounted? Were sailors typically barefoot, or was the phrase referring to the toes of their boots? Please don't disappoint!
ReplyDeleteThe 1A clue had me thinking "oh oh" and when I had the answer filled in it made no sense, but that was about it for nits in this one. Like others I like learning about the origins of idiomatic phrases, some of these I knew but not others--TAKENABACK, for one. I was especially happy to see TOETHELINE, as I have seen it written (mostly on line) as "tow the line" and even have read defenses of this spelling as someone towing a boat or something. Never made sense because then you would be towing a boat, bit a line. Anyway, nice to have an origin story.
ReplyDeleteSHADES before SHEENS (better answer) and did the OFL thing in the SW with SCAR, confirmed by RAISE for the flag. Wanted PUMP for a shallow water item, as I connect and disconnect a shallow water pump for a camp every year. Guess it's not part of an ecosystem though.
It's a poor day when you can't learn something, and I Did So here, so nice job DS. Thanks for all the fun.
@pablo, we also entered "oh oh", not for 1A but for 36D, because for whatever reason we had entered its crossing answer as MoLE, not MULE (assuming that we misread the clue, but no way to know now). And unfortunately that led to a DNF because our grid review did not pick up MoLE x oHOH as a potential error.
DeleteLiked your comment "It's a poor day when you can't learn something" and today it was DOLDRUMS. I guess for Rex that word aptly defined why it was 2-1/2 (versus 3) stars.
Did not enjoy this. Felt seasick.
ReplyDeleteI've read enough books set AT SEA to find this puzzle fun and interesting. I did not know the nautical origin of most of the theme answers so it was good to learn something today.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Dario Salvucci!
I found this frustrating at first, not totally AT SEA but like rowing against the current and getting nowhere, which I actually did once on a vacation at Lake of the Ozarks. A peaceful float on the Osage River seemed like a great idea at the time ... until Bagnell Dam was opened to let water out of the lake and into the river. Suddenly we were rowing for our lives to keep from getting taken further downstream and not just getting nowhere, but actually backing up. To keep from getting taken further downstream, we ended up dragging that rowboat thru the shallow water along the shore. Although it was one of those things we laughed about for years after, at the time all I could think about was snakes, every step of the way.
ReplyDeleteBut I digress. Despite my initial misgivings, I ended up liking and very much admiring this puzzle. I didn't know (or like) the slang BET and didn't understand (or like) TIDE OVER. ?? Perhaps because I was fully expecting the revealer to be GO WITH THE FLOW and was a tad disappointed. However the themers were pretty clever and overall made for an entertaining Wednesday.
Solving as a themeless, I found this unbelievably easy. 'Jailed New York crime boss' brought to mind the grandson with the tight pants 😳 who hasn't been jailed yet.
ReplyDeleteBecause of the way these were clued, I experienced the fun factor of this puzzle more in the post-solve. Like Rex, I expected something funny was happening with the clues after I saw LOOSE CANNON (and since that didn’t seem all that funny, I expected the jokes to be lame), and needed a lot of crosses to get most of these since indeed I don’t associate them with nautical expressions. Thus it was only afterwards that I could read through the full set and experience the fun of learning the origins. PIPE DOWN surprised me, though it seems obvious in retrospect; if it wasn’t referring to your wind pipe, it’d be musical, and at that point the most obvious setting would be either sailors or marchers. I was TAKEN ABACK that TAKEN ABACK has nautical origins.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I agree with Rex that expecting something funny and getting straight-forward clueing instead didn’t seem fun during the solve, but the post-solve was genuinely fun in a way I was not expecting, and in my book that counts toward the overall solving experience. I’ll channel my inner Lewis (since he’s on vacation) and end with a “Thank you, Dario!”
Couldn't disagree more. Fun, breezy solve. Rare that you finish a puzzle having learned something, and today I learned multiple, fascinating origins to common idioms. Win win! (only leading to good outcomes)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea for a crossword puzzle! Link phrases (six of them, no less) to their origins (all nautical) and put together a tight grid with very little to complain about (hello, EKED). I loved it. Dario, you are my IDOL. More like this, please, Mr. Shortz - but maybe spice up the non-theme cluing a bit. Weakest part of the solve by far.
ReplyDeleteUnlike OFL, I did read the revealer clue, and also unlike OFL, I found the subject intriguing and not at all didactical. It’s so fascinating to learn where/how words and phrases originate and how they morph over time.
After the X-crossings EXO/EXCOP and SPHINX/SENA, I wondered if we were dealing with some kind of (pirate) treasure hunt, but that lead to a DEAD end at UNBOX/EXERT.
Nice variety of double-letter entries: LOOSECANNON, MOTTO, SHEENS, REEF, COMMA, EERIE, REDD, SELL, SHOO, GOTTI.
CUTE pairs: UHOH OHIO, SHOO MOCS, GOTTI MOTTO
Anything but THE DOLDRUMS
Good observation! All those cartoons of Nero playing a modern violin.
ReplyDeleteThe only “pun” (sort of) I know on the word sofa is one the NYT would not run, I think: [something] is Sofa King good…
ReplyDeleteToe the line! So that's where it came from. Wonderful.
ReplyDeleteAhoy, avast, and ahar, mateys! 4 side-by-sider puzthemers out of six, and a sorta "It Came from Beneath the Sea" puztheme. Interestin for the landlubberin likes of M&A.. And different. Like.
ReplyDeletestaff weeject pick: Right-outta-the-dock 1-Acrosser BET. Well ... it ain't OK for M&A, at least in one sense.
Primo weeject stacks, NW & SE, btw.
some fave stuff: SPHINX. EDITOR clue. CONVO [only cuz it's kinda interestin, to learn about new made-up words]. PUNS's punny clue.
Thanx for the fun cruise, Mr. Salvucci dude. M&A was able to swim more than sink, and enjoyed it.
Masked & Anonymo8Us
p.s.
Easier-than-snot Runt puzzle:
**gruntz**
M&A
Seas the day!
ReplyDeleteAnother way too easy puzzle in a way too easy week. A Labor Day week lacking in labor.
Easy.
ReplyDeleteNo WOEs and no costly erasures.
I did not know that all these idioms had nautical origins.
Junk free, interesting fun-facts theme with plenty of sparkle, liked it.
I am quite surprised that so many solvers are enthralled by nautical trivia. I’m no sailor and the last book I read that might be termed nautical was Moby Dick. And that was 40 or more years ago. But, of the 6 theme answers, I easily got 5 and after that the revealer was a gimme. (TAKEN ABACK was the one I had trouble with; wanted TAKEN ABAft.)
ReplyDeleteRex is right, “the way the theme was executed, this was too much like being lectured to ("did you know...?") and not enough like being entertained.”
Some of the “modern slang” tripped me up for a bit (1A BET) and I found myself muttering, “Please don’t be CONVO” at 44A. COMMA might have tripped me up (those letteral clues often do) but I totally missed it. And the only time I ever attended yoga classes they played extremely annoying Tibetan music. Is that NEW AGE? Sounded very ancient to me.
Completely enjoyed this one and hand up for being an oldster who found this one in his wheelhouse—Monday easy. Was fun to look at all these phrases in a new light—had never before put them together as having maritime origins. The only thing I didn’t know was the first across, so I’m clearly not up to snuff on modern language and my oldster status is confirmed.
ReplyDeleteOf course, in Across Lite the theme clues were not in italics but in quotes, which was a bit confusing because so were some non theme clues like 36 and 58 down. Okay theme; a few of them I did not know had a nautical origin: TOE THE LINE, PIPE DOWN, and TAKEN ABACK.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite bit of sea trivia is for SCUTTLEBUTT: it was basically a barrel of water. Sailors would go to have a drink and chat about things.
okanagener. I don't know about the scuttle part, but a butt is just a type of barrel used originally, I think, to transport wine. I think it held about 500 litres. So I can see it being used also for drinking water on a ship's deck. Another interesting use of the term comes up in butchery nomenclature. Have you ever purchased a Boston Butt at your local grocery or butcher shop? It's not something off the back end of the pig but (scuse me) a pork shoulder roast, Apparently back in the late 1800s Boston was a major shipping point for meat products and they shipped said products in butt barrels.
Delete@Les, good to learn another type of butt. That would be a fun crossword clue!
DeleteI have never heard of a Boston Butt; it sounds hilarious.
Impressive feat of construction. And like someone else, most of the joy came post-solve and, for me, post @Rex visit. Not that I didn't have fun solving, I did. But like @Rex, I kept thinking I was missing something that was supposed to be funny with the themers. It all seemed so... I don't know, just there. It was only after I came here that I realized what the puzzle was doing. Yes, it's a bit more instructive than humorous, but that's OK. I don't always need to laugh to have fun, and this was indeed fun for me to learn.
ReplyDeleteAnd so many themers/lessons that fit a grid so well! That is cool stuff.
There was some whimsy in the cluing for COMMA which evened things out a bit and nothing really made me wince. I thought this was a very, very clean enterprise.
I'm hoping for the day when DEAD is somehow clued as a band and not the typical references to batteries or electricity or "out of xxx"
Dario, I learned a *lot* today and had some fun doing it. Thank you for this!
This was a Friday/Saturday time for me. Had to take a 30 minute break. Don't know how many I had to delete and renter or change.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite "sofa pun" is from SNL...Sofa King TV ad...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tk2uG4oB3Q
Loved this very nice Wednesday puzzle! Solved as themeless and enjoyed it all. Hardly any names sports or movies -yay!
ReplyDeleteLoved the Verb and COMMA clues.
Like Bostonians Brits do not pronounce the last r of a word (it’s an h), so sofa and so far sound very similar. And the name Clare is pronounced Cla
Hark and ark skit very amusing!
Super easy for me (best Wednesday time) but enjoyed the theme a bunch. I remember reading about the origin of “toe the line” in David Grann’s The Wager which hinted me sooner
ReplyDeleteRex should meet up with the constructor(s) of the Spelling Bee who never accept basic sailing words. I couldn't believe that even STARBOARD was deemed unacceptable the other day! But any obscure Japanese/etc. dish is fine. Sheesh. Don;y let your personal shortcomings get in the way of enjoying a nice puzzle in the future.
ReplyDelete@Norm 4:07 pm... are you possibly remembering Spelling Bee not accepting LARBOARD from a week or so ago? There hasn't been a Bee with an S for a few months.
Deletebrilliant puzzle it did exactly as it's theme proposed - put you 'at sea' with themers to back it up - if you've never been on a sailboat or ship for any length of time this puzzle does an amazing job at painting the picture
ReplyDeleteEso no es bueno.
ReplyDeleteThe word "easy" appeared 29 times in 77 comments yesterday. And we got an "absolutely easiest" to add to the Hall of Fame. Talking about how easy puzzles are is by far the least interesting thing we write about consistently, and yet we do it with such passion. People have been filling out these grids for decades and are still focused in on this one imagined metric. We've got another opportunity for a big number today.
I thought this puzzle was fun knowing nothing about boating and also thinking the clues were up to something I didn't understand. Nice going with the non-trickery. They couldn't have been clearer in the reveal ... if only I'd have read it. Despite a few clunkers, the word list here is nice.
Also, thanks 🦖 for The Phantom Tollbooth image. It is far and away my number one favorite book from elementary school. I still have a copy on my shelf. Almost all of my other books are now in my phone.
My new program: If the clue says, "...in modern slang..." I know it'll be slang, probably not modern, definitely something I don't need to know, and I just let crosses do their magic.
Pretty dangerous making a joke about how SOFA is pronounced around this group of homophonically precise folks. SO-FAH is funny enough, but writing about it could cause vodka-martini-level panic.
Who is Susan and why is she so lazy?
With quality paint and the proper tools, ONE COAT should be more than adequate. This lazy Gary knows how to minimize effort.
Gunkometer--
People: 5
Places: 3
Products: 1
Partials: 8
Foreignisms: 3
--
Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 20 of 78 (26%)
Funny Factor: 4 🙂
🔥 Ooh-la-la! 🔥 That whole Blow-ERUPT-ETNA situation.
Uniclues:
1 A pitcher with the yips.
2 Devoured a little pizza ennui therapy.
3 Why the princess couldn't sleep in the other bed.
4 Tattoos of @egsforbreakfast gems on your spine. (Not loving him being on vacation by the way.)
1 ACE LOOSE CANNON
2 ATE THE DOLDRUMS (~)
3 PEA PODS REUSED
4 PUNS TAKEN ABACK
My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: The dude who marked the important passages in your secondhand textbook so now you don't need to read the whole thing. ICONIC HI-LITER.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So deep in my wheelhouse, probably from reading so many Patrick O'Brian novels (Aubrey-Maturin series, highly recommend). Would you like to hear about 20 other everyday sayings that also have nautical origins? Like "at loggerheads," or possibly "the devil to pay," or "by and large" . . . No? I'll see myself out.
ReplyDeleteThis was bowling in my lanes. Between a hitch in the Navy and owning two sailboats over the years, I'd guesstimate that I've spent over 600 gays AT SEA.
ReplyDeleteMost of these expressions are from the age of sail. Sailors had to "learn the ropes", the complex web of lines holding up the masts and they climbed them barefooted so newbies were called "tenderfoots".
35A MULE also brought back fond memories. When I was but a lad long, long ago in the previous century, I plowed a garden behind a MULE. My uncle still had one. It was eerily quiet, just the MULE breathing, the plow breaking the ground and the wind and birds in the nearby trees. If you ever get a chance to plow with a MULE, take it!
So yeah, big smile on my face during this solve.
I liked the puzzle a lot more than Rex did. Not unusual.
ReplyDeleteAnyway Possible synonyms for.putting up a flag 5 letters. Wednesday level. Kea loa raiSe. Or HOUST
Get the T as Rex did obviously HOIST.
I agree with those who said Rex had a bad solving day and took it out on the puzzle.
BTW I didn’t find the puzzle too easy.
I ate twice today, I messed up
ReplyDeleteLovely puzzle! Not pretentious, just fun and instructive without the trivia/gunk.
ReplyDeleteWas hoping to see a video for The La's "Doledrums" embedded in the blog. It's been running through my head since I finished the puzzle. https://youtu.be/ZvHpLflwPfc?si=JB6DkypMvC_Mnieo
ReplyDeleteI frequently find nyself doing a deep dive seeking the etymology of a phrase, word, idiom or anything about language, so I enjoyed the clever idea. I wish there had been some additional playfulness or a reveal that tied the “this is the literal for a well known idiom” pieces together. This one needed some humor and lightness, but I truly enjoyed the theme and the solve.
ReplyDeleteokanager @ 7:26 pm: You're probably right. 8/31 would have been a place for LARBOARD. i think my complaint stands in any event. :)
ReplyDeleteIsn’t Endor a Lord of the Rings reference?
ReplyDelete