Relative difficulty: Easy
THEME: sounds like it! — Theme clues are words ending in "-et" that must be read as two words (___ it!") in order for them to make sense:
Theme answers:
- EXAM PAPER (17A: Market!) (mark it!)
- CHECK BOX (24A: Ticket!) (tick it!)
- SURPRISE PARTY (34A: Planet!) (plan it!)
- SUITCASE (47A: Packet!) (pack it!)
- FRONT DOOR (55A: Locket!) (lock it!)
Les Troyens (pronounced [le tʁwajɛ̃]; in English: The Trojans) is a French grand opera in five acts, running for about five hours, by Hector Berlioz. The libretto was written by Berlioz himself from Virgil's epic poem the Aeneid; the score was composed between 1856 and 1858. Les Troyens is Berlioz's most ambitious work, the summation of his entire artistic career, but he did not live to see it performed in its entirety. Under the title Les Troyens à Carthage, the last three acts were premièred with many cuts by Léon Carvalho's company, the Théâtre Lyrique, at their theatre (now the Théâtre de la Ville) on the Place du Châtelet in Paris on 4 November 1863, with 21 repeat performances. The reduced versions run for about three hours. After decades of neglect, today the opera is considered by some music critics as one of the finest ever written.
• • •
The theme answers end up a little lifeless today—SURPRISE PARTY makes a nice marquee answer, but the others just kind of lie there. So it's a good thing the fill has some pep. A whole troop of PEP BANDs in fact (36D: Musical promoters of school spirit) (wanted PEP SQUAD!). PANACHE has more PANACHE than most of the themers combined. I also enjoyed the KICK-BUTT SPARKLERS in the NE (though I could do without BUTT and ASS in the same grid—cluing it as a donkey isn't fooling anyone, mister! (53D: Burro). The fill definitely gets creaky in places: SSE, EKE, OPIE, XES, ETAS, OLEO, EENY—what is it with this EENY/EENIE obsession the NYTXW has. I mean, I know, it's the common letters, but oof, "counting rhyme" part is among the lowest forms of fill. And you notice you never see MEENY. Or MINY. Just EENY/EENIE. I don't really want to see any "counting rhyme" parts, but ... Justice for MINY! Let him come off the bench sometimes! He'd at least bring some novelty to the whole "counting rhyme" scenario. He's only ever gotten in the game once, and that was fifty years ago (Oct. 26, 1976). (So, for the record, that's one MINY, four MEENYs, and ... 210 EENY/EENIEs! And counting. And counting. And ...
There wasn't much today in the way of resistance or challenge. I think BAMBI was the hardest thing in the grid for me, largely because I had no idea there'd been a sequel (?!?!?!) (4D: Movie with the record for the longest time between its release and the release of its sequel (63 years)). Waaaaait a minute. Direct-to-video!? You can't count that. Booooo! A 2006 film that premiered in Argentina (!?!?!) before being released as a direct-to-video title in the States!? Boo to this "record." You should have to release it like a real movie and people should have to actually see it for it to count, esp. if you want to use it as a bit of trivia for your crossword clue. In case you were wondering, the sequel went through several titles (??) before producers finally alit on the highly imaginative ..
- 9D: Feature (ASPECT) — another oddly difficult answer for me today. "Feature" can mean so many things, and it can be both noun and verb, so I needed almost every cross. Sadly, one of those crosses was CLERK, which also had a clue so vague I had no idea (21A: Administrative role). Real "watching paint dry" difficulty here.
- 51A: Need for a greedy Swede? (KRONA) — I see you're doing a little rhyme thing here, but the clue makes no sense. If the Swede is being "greedy," then by definition there is no question of "need." Just want.
- 53A: Nail a test (ACE IT) — the one moment of the solve where I winced—all of your theme clues involve [___ it!] phrases; there shouldn't be stray ones in the grid. Distracting. Inelegant.
- 40A: Best and most awesome, in slang (ILLEST) — Hip-hop or rap slang, specifically. Context would be nice.
- 29D: God whose name has one "I," fittingly (ODIN) — ah we're doing more puns, I see, cool cool. (ODIN is a one-eyed god—he sacrificed the other for wisdom)
That's all for today. See you next time.
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:
- Pop Sensation (vintage paperbacks)





ReplyDeleteEasy. I didn't read the clues for any of the long answers, so I missed out on the wordplay.
* * _ _ _
One overwrite, I misspelled SIEGES at 1D. It's "I before E, dammit!"
No WOEs.
I always do that
DeleteVery pleasant. It had me scratching my head a couple of times and there was a bit of sparkle.
ReplyDeleteMy mother took me to see Bambi. It came out when I'm was three. I still remember the shock of hearing the crack of the hunter's gun. It was very loud.
You didn’t mention your favorite football team….
DeleteMy exact words as I immediately corrected my answer
ReplyDeletePEP squad before PEP BANDS today but otherwise no resistance, and it became clear that the Q couldn't work so I got BANDS after a few crosses. I enjoyed the theme and the puzzle a little more than @Rex, but I was glad he pointed out ACE IT as an answer in a puzzle of ___ it theme clues. Fun regardless.
ReplyDeleteIs eeny meeny, etc., a *counting* rhyme? I always thought it was used to *choose* things, not count them.
ReplyDeleteGood point.
DeleteFun midweek level puzzle - workmanlike theme and generally well filled. Liked SURPRISE PARTY and FRONT DOOR and the lack of a revealer.
ReplyDeleteAimee Mann
Rex summarizes the fill nicely as always. There are some SPARKLERS and some TOXINS. COAUTHOR, BE COOL, KICK BUTT are all top notch. Some THOU and BAS glue that gloms up certain areas but OKAY - no issues.
And my PANACHE will mosh your entourage
Enjoyable Wednesday morning solve. Good one last night - let’s close it out tonight.
Van Plague?
Easy and dull. I didn't find th theme at all interesting, and the theme answers were totally arbitrary. Like Rex, I despised seeing an answer ending with IT in the puzzle and winced at seeing both BUTT and ASS (either one would've been fine on its own).
ReplyDeleteI know all the lyrics to "Freaks and Geeks". I'd choose it for karaoke, except nobody else knows the song and it would go over poorly.
Agree. It was... fine, but the theme didn't justify itself
DeleteEnjoyable puzzle that probably could’ve been a Tuesday. I’m glad @Rex mentioned the Bambi sequel because I kind of got hung up in thought about how I could’ve missed it! Like Peter Pan, the Bambi book was better (and a little different) than the movie, but Disney did a pretty good job with it overall…so much so that it caused some wailing in the theaters at the “you know what” moment.
ReplyDeleteSo we throw shade on Star Wars clues, but give a pass to two Star Trek references in the same puzzle?
ReplyDeleteNothing wrong with a bit of Star Trek now and then. So much better than that other franchise.
DeletePep bands are not a thing. It’s a squad. Bambi made me smile regardless of its murky distribution channel.
ReplyDeleteI was a member of our pep band in high school. We didn’t have a pep squad, though that’s what I first went with today.
DeleteHave had a soft spot in my heart for Bambi and his Mom since childhood, but deer do so much damage to the shrubs and flowers around my home here that it is hard to think fondly of them. Had a Rottie who loved to chase deer, so much so that after a while he stopped running like a dog and joined them in bounding through the woods. He also respected their size and would step in front of me to block any attempt I might make to get closer to one. Fond memories this morning.
ReplyDeleteThe deer would probably call it “eating.” It’s what they do. “Damage” is what humans cause to animal habitat.
DeleteTook me way too long as a swede to get the clue. What an awful hint
ReplyDeleteNever going to be a fan of puzzles based on homophones, especially when they are not. I can see it with ticket, but planet, for one, the 'et' sound is clear (to me) and you would not confuse that with 'it'. I get that some people may pronounce planet differently, but that's my point. Homophones are often only homphones for some subset of people.
ReplyDeleteI guess I see your point but I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone pronounce planet differently than ticket.
DeleteTwo Star Trek crew members? Lazy.
ReplyDeleteHey All !
ReplyDeleteShut the FRONT DOOR!
Kind of an odd concept, to me. I get the reparsing ASPECT, but seems non correlate-able. It works, but it's off. Maybe it's just me that's off (highly likely.)
This puz kind of exemplifies the easy-ingness of the puzs in general. This would've been a MonPuz about 10 years ago. Wat do y'all think? I actually like that the puzs have gotten easier. Saves what little brain cells I have left!😁
Neat seeing voweless words like SLYLY. List a few more if you think of them. (Again, short on brain power, so nothing is forming for me!)
Hope y'all have a great Wednesday!
Two F's
RooMonster
DarrinV
Well, Joel had me with the wordplay in the cluing, and a fun wordplay theme, the kind that makes me want to come up with more possibilities, such as JUNKET, SPINET, PICKET, PULLET, BUCKET, TUCKET, and BLANKET.
ReplyDeleteAll the themes in Joel’s four Times puzzles revel in wordplay. (His other puzzles are 7/30, 5/11, and 8/28/25.)
He also had me with the gorgeous GIBBOUS, BEHEST, and PANACHE. And I have to mention that he had me in his last puzzle – perhaps charmed me for life – with the clue [Lumpsucker eggs] for ROE.
And thus, you are on my radar, Joel, because wordplay, word beauty, and fun words push my happy buttons. More soon, please, and thank you for this terrific day-brightener!
P.S. – I don’t know if it was intentional, but I like that all the theme clues are six letters long, and I like the subtle theme echo in ACE IT and POET.
DeleteI have played Les Troyens, which is marvelous, but I do not remember it being so long!
ReplyDeleteDidn't much care for this puzzle.
Oftentimes when I feel the urge to write some verses, I say to myself "i think I will go Poe it."
ReplyDeleteEasy here as well and loved the Star Trek references.
ReplyDeleteI found myself enjoying the two Star Trek clues, but I entirely understand why others have complained. I think I appreciated that they were both from The Original Series, which I watched with my dad when I was growing up, not the any of the numerous spin-offs since then that I’d be hopeless to answer.
ReplyDeleteI liked it. Easy - except for ILLEST - & fun. Thank you, Joel
ReplyDeleteAfter his first acquisition, the greedy Swede yelled, "IONA KRONA"!
ReplyDeleteI hurt in so many parts of my body that I simply say I have a PANACHE.
Maybe the lascivious mini theme of ASS and BUTT is offset by the religious one of STLUKE and STEREO (patron saint of audiophiles).
I was bummed when I got pulled over by the PoPo. It was a classic POSTOP. Clearly it occurred only because I was an old guy in a suit in a young neighborhood. But they at least offered me a FREETRIAL, so I could bring my SUITCASE.
Nobody has mentioned 28A [It was you] for THOU. It gave me a chuckle.
Anyway, nice clean effort. Thanks, Joel Woodford.
Maybe my least favorite puzzle in ages. Star Trek, oh great never seen that before. all the attempts to be current/hip were in fact old and out of date. Probably a me thing, the puzzle itself isn’t bad but I couldn’t be more on a different wave length if one tried. Just stodgy and done before and nothing fun.
ReplyDeletePerfectly fine Wednesday, albeit without much pop and/or SPARKLErs even with 10D. I can't put my finger on why, but I just didn't get too excited about this one. It had some lovely stuff, some nice longish non-themers like FREETRIAL, PANACHE, GIBBOUS and COAUTHOR, and I even liked KICKEDBUTT. I actually *did* get excited for a hot second thinking, "oh great, the NYTXW refrained from using "ass" for a change, but the wind left the sails at 53D as bang! there it was! I must be getting old and cranky, this stuff never used to bothered me all that much.
ReplyDeleteI liked the theme as well and thought all the themers made for a very attractive grid, none of them were terribly difficult to parse but they were fun enough. Agree that having ACEIT in there took a bit away from the elegance, but for me, just a very little bit.
Some nice cluing/wordplay for WED and STEREO as well.
I agree with Anonymous 7:28, the cluing on KRONA was a bit distasteful. I'm not a Swede and it still kinda rubbed me the wrong way. "Need for a Swede" still gets you the rhyme you wanted and takes away the ugly "greedy", why put that in there? Just my opinion...
Not too much resistance today. The SE was a bit slow as I had *fled* instead of the correct TORE at 59E (Hightailed it [hmm... another "it"] and that took a bit of time to clean up. Other than that, it was fairly smooth solving.
Reading what I just wrote, other than that one clue that I found unappetizing, I can't wrap my head around why this one didn't do it for me. There is a lot to like here, so I'm just gonna go ahead and call this a Hugh thing and stand by my initial reaction of a perfectly fine Wednesday. Thank you for this Joel! Looking forward to seeing more from you.
Mostly easy. Lost some seconds in the SE getting the correct degree at 44A (M/B? S/A?) Like @Rex, so wanted PEP squad. Overall, simple but well put-together puzzle.
ReplyDeleteLiked seeing Odin in the center on a Wednesday!
ReplyDelete