Friday, September 25, 2026

Fictional company famous for its duds / FRI 9-25-26 / Rapper and actor Smith / Ptolemaic royal, familiarly / Olympic slalom equipment / Poke alternative / Spanish sparkling wine / Stew on it! / Second Freudian stage

Constructor: Rafael Musa

Relative difficulty: Challenging

THEME: none 

Word of the Day: Alek WEK (30A: Supermodel Alek) —

Alek Wek (born 16 April 1977) is a South Sudanese–British model and designer who began her fashion career at the age of 18 in 1995. She has been hailed for her influence on the perception of beauty in the fashion industry. She is from the Dinka ethnic group in South Sudan, but fled to Britain in 1991 to escape the civil war in Sudan. In 2015, she was listed as one of BBC's 100 Women. (wikipedia)
• • •

I smiled when I opened the puzzle and saw that Rafa made it. So nice to get a puzzle from one of my regular guest writers on any day, but especially today: the 20th anniversary of the blog [cue the balloons ... champagne corks popping ... OK, that's enough]. I figured I would breeze through it the way I have breezed through most puzzles of late (the difficulty of all puzzles having substantially dropped over the last 20 years), but hoo boy, nope, no, this one threw me around the room. The NW corner of my puzzle print-out is entirely covered in green ink, which is a good indication of how completely lost I was up there. The only thing I managed to squeeze out of there at first was AKIN / ENO. I didn't get back to it until the very end, and even then, yikes: getting up into that corner from below just wasn't a cinch. The VOTES part of VOTES YES, not clear (8D: Gives one's approval, in a way). The ORAL part of ORAL HEALTH seemed clear, but I had ORAL as my Freudian stage, and even changing that to ANAL and writing in ORAL didn't get me going up there, so I kept doubting both of them. Then I spelled AIGLETS thusly, so ... that was fun (5D: Certain loopholes = EYELETS). And getting to CUDDLE from [Spoon, e.g.], again, not easy. If you put "slalom" in your clue I will always, 100% of the time imagine skiing. LOL, CANOE (1A: Olympic slalom equipment). I nearly wrote PARKA in there at one point. LOL also at my knowing a *character* from My Brilliant Friend (3D: ___ Sarratore, "My Brilliant Friend" character). Not ODD at all that I could not see ODD at 4D: "How ___" (ODD). The long Acrosses up there ended up being reasonably easy, but only after I got a handful of crosses—which, as you see, took (seemingly) ages. Outside the NW, this played like a regular Friday; inside, however ... that was an ordeal.


I like the zoom and the whoosh on Fridays, and I didn't get that sensation once today, but many of the longer answers were still winners. "I KID YOU NOT" over TINDER DATE is lovely, GAME THE SYSTEM is ... well, not great in real life, but as an answer, mwah, wonderful. "BE RIGHT BACK!," "THAT REMINDS ME...," both strong. ENEMY SPIES felt redundant, somehow. Or, maybe it's that the clue didn't seem to signal the "ENEMY" part very well. SPIES are [Invasive plants?] no matter whose side they’re on. I guess I'm supposed to understand that they're "invasive" to me. Not at all clear while solving. Some of the cluing in other places seemed much more off. You might find stew in a LADLE, but on it??? (20A: Stew on it!). Did not like that. Also, I don't think I'd ever describe a whodunit where the butler did it as BANAL, if only because the butler almost never does it (21A: Like a whodunit in which the butler did it [duh!]). Also, didn't like the "duh" bit, which is misleading. "Duh" = "it's obvious, [dummy]" and I don't equate "obvious" and BANAL; the latter has more to do with being ordinary or commonplace. "Duh" somehow hits the wrong note. I don't see how MEDITATION is any more a [Breathtaking activity?] than, say, anything else someone might do. You have to take breaths to live. You might focus on your breath in meditation, but you're always "taking" breaths, no matter what you're doing. The trick clues worked better in other places—with ORAL HEALTH (15D: Focus for the foul-mouthed?), for instance, or ECONOMISTS (11D: Some experts of interest?), or ACME (16A: Fictional company famous for its duds) (timely!).


Bullets:
  • 22A: Device seen on a front desk (BELL) — another huge ??? for me. I just couldn't picture it or parse it. I kept trying to think of what a "front desk" even was, and all I could see was ... telephones? I dunno. The whole idea that you hit a quaint little BELL to get service—couldn't conjure it up. 
  • 37A: ___ Minor (ASIA) — klassic kealoa* (URSA v. ASIA). Luckily, today, I had the "S" in place before I saw the clue, so ... no confusion.
  • 36D: Ganja (MARYJANE) — you know, marijuana. Pot. Weed. 
  • 39A: "Karma is a cat / Purring in my ___ 'cause it loves me" (Taylor Swift lyric) ("LAP") — I would complain about the idea that I'm supposed to know a Taylor Swift lyric (give me the song title, at least), but "LAP" is very inferable here.
[Karma, aka Ida]
  • 48A: Rapper and actor Smith (JADEN) — when WILLOW wouldn't fit, I was stuck. She doesn't rap, but hers was the only Smith name I could remember. Forgot her brother's name entirely. Hey ... WILLOW for (dad) Will Smith. JADEN for (mom) Jada Pinkett Smith. I can't believe I only just got that.
  • 10D: Sources of some rock (GARAGE BANDS) — true, but ruthlessly vague. The GARAGE part, you have to guess / hack at.
  • 60A: The Devil's domain (TAROT) — so ... not HADES, then.
  • 50D: Part of a full house (PAIR) — oh, that kind of full house. I was thinking of a packed theater.
  • 51D: Ptolemaic royal, familiarly (CLEO) — I honestly thought a "Ptolemaic royal" was going to be the name of some kind of animal. A snake or fish or something. But no, CLEOpatra, part of the Ptolemaic dynasty.
  • 52D: Poke alternative ("PSST!") — if your first thought here was raw tuna (as in a "Poke bowl"), you, my friend, were not alone.
Thank you for making me feel less alone for however many of these past twenty years you've been reading. On September 25, 2006, I started yelling into my computer about the puzzle, and it wasn't long before a whole universe of like-minded people materialized out of nowhere. I had no idea there was this kind of community to be found in the world of crossword puzzles. For those first few months, almost no one read me. It would've been so easy to stop after a few posts. I'm glad I didn't.

That's all for today. See you next time, for the start of year 21 ... 

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

*kealoa = a pair of words (normally short, common answers) that can be clued identically and that share at least one letter in common (in the same position). These are answers you can't just fill in quickly because two or more answers are viable, Even With One or More Letters In Place. From the classic [Mauna ___] KEA/LOA conundrum. See also, e.g. [Heaps] => ATON or ALOT, ["Git!"] => "SHOO" or "SCAT," etc.   

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

140 comments:

  1. Congratulations on 20 years of this wonderful blog. And .... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:24 AM

    First birthday comment! Congratulations! Been a reader 12+ years

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:32 AM

    I love it when a puzzle just opens itself up to you after you struggled through the grid a couple of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:55 AM

      Zero-zero-zero——SIXTY!!!!!
      WHeeeee!

      Delete
  4. I get the same warm feeling seeing our blog pal Rafa at the top. I didn’t find this as difficult - smooth and well filled all around. It sounds a little far-fetched but I feel that Rafa’s critiques here provide us a window into his own cluing world - his voice and comfort zones are more evident. Once you settle in - it’s smooth sailing.

    REEL Around The Fountain

    The two 13s are the highlight - especially crossed with BE RIGHT BACK and ASKS NICELY. There are some longs that don’t splash - Rex summarizes nicely as always - they’re fine but just lacking the punch - I’m looking at you ECONOMISTS, ORAL HEALTH etc. Didn’t know ALIA or the cat song but the crosses were fair - limited trivia and glue for the most part.

    The GEAR Daddies

    Enjoyable Friday morning solve. Thanks to the big guy for allowing us into his world - I’m in nearly 15 years. Last night I was watching a wonderful PBS documentary on the great Mary Oliver who wrote often on birds - during her reading of The Blue Heron I actually thought to myself - Rex would love this.

    Down on Cyprus Avenue
    With a childlike vision slipping into view
    The click and clacking of the high-heeled shoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:16 PM

      @son thanks for Van and Madame George .

      Delete
  5. Anonymous6:34 AM

    Medium. A good workout, mostly due to the difficulty I encountered across the top row.
    * * * * _

    Overwrites:
    Stuck with gAtes as the 1A slalom equipment for way too long.
    At 4D, how saD before ODD.
    1st, 2nd or 3rd are the only options for 10A bases , but there can be a 4th or 5th GEAR (and much higher if we’re talking bicycles).
    I thought Taylor Swift’s karma cat might purr in her eAr. No, LAP (39A).
    ANT hill before ANT NEST at 41D.

    WOEs:
    The Spanish wine CAVA at 6A. I need to drink more.
    “My Brilliant Friend” character NINO Sarratore at 3D.
    Needed every cross for Alex WEK (30A) and ALIA Shawkat (53A).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:43 AM

    Happy Anniversary/Birthday, @Rex! You are indeed our fearless leader.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:45 AM

    Congrats! Love the blog! Great puzzle, too. Lots of misdirection no dreck. I found some whoosh in the long answers and never stalled. A vigorous mental workout! ( à la Lewis)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:47 AM

    Started out blanking on the top left but all of a sudden the puzzle clicked and it ended up being a very quick Friday for me. So, I'd rate this one easy to easy medium. The fill was excellent. Was there any crosswordese? Eno, perhaps, but really no. Maybe you could quibble with some of the cluing but I disagree with Rex on the one for meditation, which quite frequently and specifically orients around breath concentration as a way to take ones mind off the daily grind. My only quibble then was that it was a bit too easy for a Friday.

    Congrats to vacationers (RandRers) for this milestone review and puzzle..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agreed on the NW, I put ASIN instead of AKIN and had a hell of a time getting out of that

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:48 AM

    Though I don't always agree with where it can and cannot be found, I highly value your emphasis on solver enjoyment over feats of construction. As an aspiring constructor (though in German), it's great to be reminded of what really counts. Congrats on 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 100%. Such a dumb change.

      Delete
  11. Anonymous6:52 AM

    Very nice puzzle. Also nice to open the Rex page expecting to see "Trivially easy" only to find "Challenging". I didn't actually think it was that hard. Good Friday puzzle that took me 16 minutes which is faster than my average. My biggest hang-up was confidently writing in DINNER DATE and then trying hard to make that work. But 4 Down as '_ D N' convinced me to look at everything all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for 20 years of the crossword blog, @REX. You are relentless! Your blog was definitely the key to helping me "get" crosswords. I guess I've been reading about 11 or 12 years. Terrific community too. I was happy to see GrandpaMike hanging in there and commenting yesterday : ). I would call this one medium for me, 15 minutes is maybe a touch over average for me these days. Like @OFL, only real struggle was the NW corner. Loved all the in-the-language answers today, terrific stuff! SE took me a bit too, cuz I had ANThill before NEST. MADAMS would have been better clued as connected with the oldest profession, I think, don't you? Anyway--terrific puzzle, Rafa, thanks again !!!!! **** from me. And congratulations again, @REX, on 20 years! Keep it up : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7:02 AM

    What would I do without you ?Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:54 AM

      Ditto 🎈🎈🎊🎊

      Delete
  14. happy anniversary of rexblog! i was 6 when you started blogging so naturally i was not reading it. but since i started doing the crossword daily in college this blog has been a wonderful companion to learning more about the craft and old films! thank you for all the time and effort!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my daughter’s age ❤️❤️❤️ thanks for the kind words

      Delete
  15. The Door – that answer you get that breaks things open, where your brow is knit in struggle to find an opening anywhere, then you suddenly flash on an answer that was eluding you, and from there, new answers spread, sometimes pop-pop-pop, and soon after, you’re looking at a completed grid, and you’re thinking, “What just happened?”

    From still to thrill.

    As usual for Rafael, this puzzle was top flight:

    I KID YOU NOT, GAME THE SYSTEM, THAT REMINDS ME, BE RIGHT BACK, BANAL, AVERSE, CATCHY, GAPE, CUDDLE.

    [National company known for its duds], for ACME.
    [Focus for the foul-mouthed?] for ORAL HEALTH.

    Hardly a hint of junk despite the full house of excellent answers. An uber-flowy grid design. Humor and variety. I saw that bell on the desk. I was fooled into thinking “skiing” for [Olympic slalom equipment]. I pictured Wile E. Coyote pressing down the TNT plunge detonator.

    Some constructors are simply top flight every. Single. Time. Thank you for a splendid outing, Rafael.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey All !
    Happy to be part of such a moment, 20 years of complaining about a crossword!
    Har. Seriously, it's been a fun community that I've been a part of for quite a while. Unsure when I found this blog, and started commenting, what with my bad memory and all that. But have had a hoot reading y'all since.

    Strange puz today. I got through NE, East Middle, SE rather quickly, but the whole West side was tough. Finished in NW, ANAL/LADLE being last two in. Apparently I don't know Freudian stages. I was thinking stages of grief, Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance. Where the heck is ANAL?

    Just looked up Freudian Stages, there's Oral, ANAL, Phallic, Latency, Genital. You're welcome, to go with your breakfast.

    How is PCP "Go-to doc"? Escaping me.
    Had workTHESYSTEM messing me up in West Center.
    Was thinking BERIGHTthere for BACK, but obviously too short.
    dIet-SINK. AdVERS(E), wouldn't fit to AVERSE.
    And the weird clue for LADLE.

    Overall good FriPuz. Needed the thinking cap for a spell.

    Hope y'all have a great Friday!

    No F's - THAT REMINDS ME, add some F's! I KID YOU NOT. 😁
    RooMonster
    DarrinV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:00 AM

      PCP stands for Primary Care Physician, the doc you go to for annual check ups and referral to specialists, if necessary. Common term if you're in an HMO.

      Delete
    2. PCP = Primary Care Physician. I've never actually seen or heard PCP before, but it's logical enough.

      Delete
    3. "Primary Care Physician." It comes from insurance jargon, I think, but has generalized.

      Delete
    4. themkt11:01 AM

      So the one drawback to the Canadian health system is being completely oblivious to this jargon!

      Delete
    5. Roo
      In my small state, everyone seems to use the pcp abbreviation. I am seeing my pcp for my annual checkup. It is not just an HMO thing now as insurance companies try to limit their costs. If I go on any further I will start ranting so……

      Delete
  17. Two decades, Rex, and still fresh, with edge, bite, enthusiasm, excited praise, humor, sagacity, and such an entertaining way with words. You deservedly hold sway in Crosslandia, and you certainly are a can't-miss for me. Thank you and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous7:26 AM

    Like some others who have already commented, I found this quite whoosh-y after getting a typical Friday toehold. Close to average time. Very enjoyable puzzle overall—thanks Rafa!

    And big big thanks and congrats to you, Rex/Michael/OFL! This blog has been as much a part of my day as the puzzle itself for more than 13 years. I’m continually amazed by the intelligence, wit, warmth, and discipline that you bring to the undertaking. Hard to think of another one-person show that has thrived and endured so well. Here’s to another 20 years!!

    webwinger

    ReplyDelete
  19. Barry7:37 AM

    Happy Anniversary Rex! You are a big part of our day, every day. That’s called consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous7:39 AM

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  21. Andy Freude7:47 AM

    A superb Rafa puzzle, and how appropriate on this day! I’m a relative newcomer, here for six years or so, but this blog has become a necessary part of my day. Some days I could skip the puzzle, but skip Rex? No way! Thank you, thank you, for all the enjoyment you bring to so many people, Rex. Here’s to the next twenty years!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous7:49 AM

    Hey, Rex - Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!

    I started doing the puzzle three years ago and found this blog pretty quickly. Have loved reading it and have enjoyed the lively comments.

    Since then, I've been doing Fridays and Saturdays going back in time - I'm in early 2015 now - and I still look up this blog and read the comments for any particularly spicy puzzles. Thank you for creating such an enduring source of fun and interest for so many years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing archives too, got back to 2010 and then said, what the heck, let's just start from the beginning. So now I'm halfway through December of 1993

      Delete
  23. Anonymous7:51 AM

    Happy Anniversary! I discovered your blog about ten years ago and it’s become an indispensable part of my morning routine, right after I finish the puzzle. Long may you reign as the King of Crosswords!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:12 AM

      Here, here. Thanks, Rex and the community you created.

      Delete
  24. A tale of two puzzle, with a lot of entertaining and well-clued long answers, interspersed with some bad and in some cases poorly clued short stuff. WEK I did remember from previous crosswords, but NINO, CAVA and ALIA would have been just as well off unclued. NINO and ALIA could have had normal clues, but the editors chose to go with names.

    Loved Coyote vs. ACME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitshef
      In fairness to the puzzle
      CAVA has been in the NY Times at least as often as WEK. if not more so- it is the Spanish equivalent of ASTI Spumante but better. I am sure it will show up again!

      Delete
  25. Anonymous7:59 AM

    Hard! Loved it. Ladle? 😑

    ReplyDelete
  26. KateA8:03 AM

    Thanks so much for this blog and happy anniversary! I started reading it when I retired and have enjoyed your posts and this community.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The dreaded new cursor feature persists, so if you're not a fan, I encourage you to e-mail nytgames@nytimes.com, leave a comment on the NYT Wordplay blog, call your Congressman, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations Rex & thanks for your day-starting commentaries, essential as coffee but even better at making me smarter.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This blog has become a starting point for my every morning. Well, after I’m finished my daily duel with the NYT puzzle. Rex has been amazing, and his friends too. Over the years many interesting personalities have participated and sadly left but it remains a vibrant community. I thought today’s puzzle was notable for its misleading and ambiguous clues and humor and lack of drek. Way to tough for me, but in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous8:10 AM

    I stumbled upon this blog 20 years ago when looking for the answers.
    I’ve hung around ever since for the snark.

    Thanks for a great time at the WFMU crossword meetup!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations @Rex on 20 years!! My crossword life is divided into Pre-Rex and Post-Rex and the Post-Rex life is infinitely better!! The community you have created for us has done so much to enhance, inform and enrich my solving experience. Personally, a puzzle is not completed when the happy music plays, it's completed only after I pay a visit here. There is no puzzle that I solve where I don't think, "Man, Rex would love/hate this..." Thank you for sticking with us and here's to 20 more years!

    The puzzle - This can go down as one of my favorites of the year. I found it properly Friday tough but was very proud of myself when PARALEGALS came to me instantly. Great fill and great cluing. The only other things I had before that were ENO and BELL. Even with that, the SE did not come easily. Other than PEP, all those crosses made me work, mostly from the nice, sneaky cluing. Like @Rex, was thinking tuna for Poke, and *College* transcript was not what came immediately to mind for the GPA clue. So even with the G in place, I was stumped for a bit. Didn't help that I threw down ANTfarm rather than the correct ANTNEST. I think things took shape after I made that edit.

    And speaking of cluing, Rafa shined today as he always does. So much great stuff that has already been mentioned. Add that to the A-list of long, in-the-language fill like IKIDYOUNOT, BERIGHTBACK, MARYJANE, THATREMINDSME and ASKSNICELY and you have a gem of a puzzle.

    Thank you for this Rafa, this one checked all my boxes. It was a great way to end the work week and a most appropriate puzzle for this momentous anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Anniversary Rex! I've been reading this blog daily for at least 10 years - I guess I'm a late bloomer. I don't comment much but I learn so much from you and others commenting here. Samesies for the NW corner and tuna.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congratulations to Rex. It's hard to believe it has been only 20 years; I can't remember when I started coming here, but it must have been closer to the start than I realized. Keep up the good work!

    I would have given this one another half-star, but I'm no puzzle-rating expert. I do agree that the clue for LADLE was a bit off, but it opened the puzzle up for me, so I didn't mind. I had CAVA, and therefore ANAL, but then I was stuck. But stew : LADLE, whatever the verb, so I put it in, and other entries slowly swam into view.

    I did have to look up WEK, as I had VOTES for before YES, but that was about it for writeovers..

    I knew NANTES for its eponymous edict, but not that it was on the Loire, so that was educational, as was learning of yet another role filled by Brian ENO. And I never saw the clue for LAP...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous8:37 AM

    I have only become familiar with this blog in the past several years; thank you for slogging it out for so long! I have fun trying to guess how you'll analyze and rate and how closely I agree with you. I have learned from the various tidbits that you post, and I have jumped down rabbit holes as a result. And I am not a bit abashed to admit that I use you as the 'teacher's test key' if I have a typo that I just can't seem to spot - so you've saved me time, too. Again, thank you for your humor and wit - so nice every morning (raising my coffee cup to you)!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This one was just right for a Friday. Thanks Rafa and NYT. Northwest gave me fits POLES - no, GATES - NO AGAIN. Got Canoe by default eventually and that’s where I finished. MEDITATION was my favorite answer /clue combo seconded by GARAGE BAND

    ReplyDelete
  36. Mr. Cheese8:44 AM

    I never miss your column. Hope the next twenty treat you well!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I stalled with a lot of white space. I called The Closer over early and she got ECONOMISTS (from ISTS) and ACE and that was enough. Very good puzzle.

    I think that Raphael lives here in San Francisco. Maybe I'll run into him shopping at Andronicos.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Happy Anniversary @Rex! And how nice to have a Rafa puzzle.

    Sadly the NYT is still messing with my enjoyment by having that fat black box around the highlighted square, which partly obscures the adjacent letters and really messes with the flow! I've sent feedback both yd and today. Hope they take care of it so I can go back to just enjoying the puzzle. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Congrats! And fitting, and welcome, to have a nice, challenging puzzle on your anniversary day.
    Now for my curmudgeonly take. The crossword has moved too far into the colloquial phrase. Well a welcome shakeup from the stodgy obscurity of arcane trivia, the uttered phrase that could kind of be this, kind of be that, has been given far too much prominence. There are only so many times one can answer with an everyday expression in a puzzle before it starts to feel totally arbitrary and kind of a crutch. Not asking for a return to crossword-ese but also kind of tired of fun phrases as marquee answers.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Tourist: What happened to the name SAIGON?
    Local: (Sigh) Gone.

    For 39A I wanted AMIle but then I decided that AMISS is as good as AMIle.

    TIL that AMMAN was once named Philadelphia. I've always wondered about the origins of AMMON Cheese Steak and AMMAN Cream Cheese.

    Congratulations, @Rex, on 20 years! As one of your cult, I'd gladly eat the Oreos on your say so. Thanks for being the start to most of my days for years. And thank you Rafa for a great Friday puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Congrats to Rex! Many thanks for keeping this forum alive all these years when I’m sure there were times you just weren’t in the mood. I can’t remember when or how I stumbled onto this site, but it’s made my 53 year NYT Xword addiction so much richer.

    I really enjoyed this puzzle. I think of it as a friendly Friday, not especiallychallenging but accessible and satisfying. It’s a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  43. meredith9:18 AM

    tropy before banal
    inhalation before meditation
    second then dinner before tinder
    so many places where i was right, doubted myself, deleted, and put it back (celli, akin, bloc)

    Great puzzle.
    congratulations and thanks to you Rex for being a huge part of my morning's for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Anonymous9:18 AM

    I started doing xwords 20 years ago and came upon this site right off the bat. (Because I always had to google answers back then). It's been part of virtually every morning ever since. Thanks Rex. I'm anonymous because I'm a lurker not a poster but today is special. Also, great puzzle today, wonderful answers and clever cluing. A nice work out.

    ReplyDelete
  45. SAIGON; Ngo Dinh DIEM; ASIA -- THAT REMINDS ME, and I wish it didn't.

    Any poem more profound than "Roses are red" eludes and frustrates me. I am verse AVERSE.

    Did you hear about the poet who liked to work the minute he woke up? He went from bed to verse.

    I completely forgot that AMMAN used to be Philadelphia. That explains why their basketball team is the AMMAN '76ers.

    *******
    Congrats on the 20th RP. I'm a relative newcomer - around five years -- but it has become a real treat and an important part of my retirement years. Its impact goes far beyond merely reading it. For example, a while ago Son Volt shared Laura Cantrell's exquisite song "Bees," which was unfamiliar to me. And just yesterday I picked up tix to a concert of hers up in Groton MA and we're planning to spend a few days up there for a fall trip. I've enjoyed movies the blog mentioned. We have 16 cats! (No cats, just kidding. We used to have cats.) Another example: the outpouring of grief, love, and warmth upon the passing of Joe D. a while ago was extraordinary. This community is remarkable, although I still miss the brilliance and wit of LMS. Anyway, as the good woman Mrs. Pock was fond of saying: Live long and prosper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:44 PM

      Thanks for remembering Joe D. He is greatly missed.

      Delete
  46. That rare Friday that OFL found challenging but due to a wavelength thing, (I guess) was very wooshy here. AKIN led to IKIDYOUNO and away I rode. Counter (or anti) clockwise and finished with GEAR which I missed on my first glance but was (duh) obvious.

    Have never looked for a TINDERDATE, VOTESFOR before VOTESYES, and WEK? SINK as clued took some crosses and I wonder if anyone ever says MARYJANE these days. Fun fact about AMMAN and great clue for ACME.

    Always enjoy your stuff, RM and thought today was a winner. Really Made me happy, and thanks for all the fun.

    I happened on this blog about 15 years ago when I was still teaching. A friend would print off the puzzles and I would do them during my lunch break. Was trying to confirm an answer and here was RP and a bunch of people with things to say and share experiences that made me say "you too?" What a treat to run into that. Lurked for a while and then finally had something I thought was worth saying and the rest is history. The NYT xword is how I know what day it is--easy theme, easy theme , harder theme, gimmick, hard themeless, harder themeless, king-sized.

    Congrats to OFL and many thanks for all the work you do and all the years of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I was initially, and I guess I still am, scratching my head while contemplating what a canoe in a slalom race would entail. I can imagine some poor guy, minding his own business while fly fishing in a peaceful cove on a lake and all of a sudden all hell breaks loose. I’m assuming that a CANOE slalom is an event staged on a river - oh, well. I’ll do what I usually do when I get confused about something - consult with the AI Slop on YouTube.

    Congrats to our host on 20 years - wow. I’ve been here for more than half of that, and it has greatly enhanced my enjoyment of “crosswording” if that is such a thing. When I was still a beginner, I emailed Rex lamenting the steepness of the learning curve (will I ever be able to complete a Thursday ?), he sent me a nice note in return in which he suggested that I try to train my eye to pick up Patterns from day to day (yes, I learned the Spanish word for “aunt”, for example) and Rex also preached Practice and Patience (the latter not being one of my strong points, lol). So, it has been Patterns, Practice and hopefully more and more patience for me ever since - thanks Rex, for making this noob / beginner feel welcome a decade ago.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Anonymous9:25 AM

    cheers and thank you ! mr. sharp

    ReplyDelete
  49. Happy 20 years!!! What a milestone. 🍻 I read you every morning, and it’s clear how much time and energy you put into this space — a real labor of love. Thanks for making us laugh, and more importantly, thanks for providing a place for this community to come to, day after day!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Anonymous9:33 AM

    A really nice Friday workout that deserves the full four star.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Alice Jane Morgan9:33 AM

    Thank you for your contribution to the wonderfully wonky world of crossword puzzles. Congrats on 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Niallhost9:41 AM

    Not often that I open this blog after having flown through a puzzle to see that Rex found it challenging. No struggle at any point, just steady progress. Nice start to a Friday. 15:42

    Congratulations on 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Happy blogaversary, Rex! 20 years ago as a graduate student I was in the blogger world but not the crossworld, so I had never heard of you. Now my old blog and any that I had read at the time are long defunct, and I’ve been reading you every day for the past three years since I started trying my hand at crosswords. How the times change!

    Today hit a double kealoa combined with that phenomenon (did you ever give it a name, Rex?) when you confidently enter one word incorrectly only to find it elsewhere in the puzzle. Confidently wrote URSA instead of ASIA for [_____ Minor], and then later confidently entered ASIA instead of AREA for what the Mercator projection distorted. Only later (maybe it was because of per DIEM?) did ASIA Minor become apparent, which meant that I had to scrap it in the Mercator projection.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Anonymous9:58 AM

    Nice to see one of the King's darlings get the 20th anniversary honours.

    Tough one … lots o'names … but not overly banal or anal.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Redbud9:59 AM

    Congrats on 20! Nice to have you at my breakfast table these past 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Old Ned10:10 AM

    First time commenter but I've been reading and appreciating you for close to 18 years. Thanks for all you do.

    I found the puzzle mostly easy except for stupidly rendering Jordan's capital as AMMoN so I was stuck staring at BANo_ for several seconds before it clicked. Good puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Happy 20th Rex! Great Friday with a Rafa puzzle…crunchy and entertaining as usual. I need to cut short my comments due to an appointment, but I’ll throw out that, yes, I wasn’t a fan of the LADLE clue…but it was inferable so no biggie.
    Happy Friday everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Congrats Rex. 20 years is no small thing.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I gave up on the puzzle today but wanted to say congratulations to Rex/Michael on the milestone anniversary of this, the best blog in crosswords. I don’t recall exactly when I first discovered it but more than likely, it was in the very early days. I started doing the NYTX late in the year 2000 when a new coworker introduced it to me. I learned a lot from her along the way and somehow, at some point, stumbled across this guy named Rex Parker who was pretty reliable at providing the answers when all else failed. At that time my primary source of reference was my Dad’s old dog-eared copy of the NYT Crossword Dictionary, probably published around 1980.

    I benefited from consulting many times over the years but remained a lurker, occasionally reading blog comments. It wasn’t until about 10 years ago that I found the nerve to join the conversation. Even then, I was somewhat intimidated by the intellectual level of the blog comments and the obviously distinguished and highly intelligent minds who did and still do participate. Many of those people are still here; some have moved on and others have joined since then. But the one thing that has never changed is Rex himself. He’s like a rock. You can always count on him being right there where he says he’ll be and being spot on – honest if nothing else – with his daily commentary, giving credit and taking it away as he sees fit. But he’s generally fair and genuinely sincere … about something that matters to him and to all of us.

    I marvel at the fact that he does this every day, sometimes even while he’s on vacation. And he’s never given in to the lure of commercialization- another thing I deeply appreciate. I enjoy being able to read the blog and post my comments without being bombarded by flashing ads coming at me from every direction. So it seems inadequate but - thank you sir. You’ve done yourself proud, and you’ve done a much appreciated service all this time. I think I speak for most of us when I say that my crossword puzzle would not be nearly as much fun without you. I hope you will keep going for at least another 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice tribute, @Whatsername. Hear, hear!

      Delete
  60. Joseph Michael10:43 AM

    Happy Anniversary, Rex!

    ReplyDelete
  61. I thought this was an easy Friday, but I’m guessing my time (6:47) was still slower than Rex’s for a puzzle he calls challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I typed up my comments and was about to paste them here when I saw Rex's "Challenging" rating. Very surprised at that—my puzzle experience was smooth and pleasurable throughout, and I didn't have nearly as many "Huh???" feelings as Rex had. And there was so little junk...so little junk!

    Except for having Beat the System before GAME THE SYSTEM, and On That Subject before THAT REMINDS ME, I got most of the long answers pretty easily. And the cluing was terrific, especially the ones for TINDER DATE, ENEMY SPIES and GARAGE BANDS. Even "Stew on it" (LADLE) made me smile! I just saw the movie "Coyote vs. Acme" (very clever), so I came up with ACME easily.

    Thanks for a fun Friday, Rafael Musa! And Happy 20th Anniversary, Rex. The puzzle and your blog have definitely become part of my morning routine in retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Anonymous10:58 AM

    Thanks Rex!!!! And yes, the clue for LADLE was horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Congratulations Rex -- great accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Anonymous11:17 AM

    Very easy. Challenging? You might have celebrated the 20th with too many drinks last night :-)

    ReplyDelete
  66. Anonymous11:18 AM

    The daily puzzle wouldn't be complete without Rex's blog for dessert.

    I was surprised to not see an 'easy' rating for today! I just expected in- the-language phrases from Rafa and he delivered.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Happy 20th, Rex! After all these years, I still suck at guessing how you’re going to respond to a puzzle, but it’s always a fun part of my day!

    ReplyDelete
  68. A BIT challenging. Took a while to SINK in at times. I did not read all the comments but someone probably already informed @Rex that the front desk was in a hotel/motel.

    O days since : ANAL, ECIG, and a rap reference.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Anonymous11:27 AM

    Kudos on 20 years, Rex! Yes, a very challenging yet rewarding puzzle today from Rafa. Mostly agree with your comments, though, strangely…CUDDLE came immediately to my mind for spoon. I did have to laugh when I saw you group the longer phrases together because they could be made into texting abbreviations (like BRB already is): IKYN, TRM.

    ReplyDelete
  70. A challenging and satisfying Friday.. I'm proud of myself and enjoyed myself. Thank you, Rafa :)
    And what a nice anniversary gift for Rex - a puzzle that he enjoyed.
    I don't remember where I was 20 years ago but I know I wasn't far from here.
    Happy Anniversary Rex - I know that I couldn't. have done it without you 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  71. Anonymous11:28 AM

    Congrats and thanks on 20 years, Rex/Michael! Guessing it's been about 15 or 16 years since I came across the site.
    Kind of doubt the LAT puzzle today had a nod to the blog - but maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  72. Anonymous11:37 AM

    Because of time zones Im usually last to the comments. I broke my leg in 2017 and so with plenty of couch time I got more serious about crosswords. My NYT streak is over 3000, which is low compared to a lot of people here, but it wouldn’t have happened without this blog and its community. Thanks Rex for all the great insight and humor. You and I are the same age so I usually get your cultural references. And thanks to this community for sharing your insights as well. Onwards for another 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
  73. DAVinHOP11:37 AM

    Challenging for sure; three minutes over average for us. But absolutely loved it and (mildly) shocked to see (only) 3-1/2 stars; I had confidently predicted either 4 or 4-1/2, with Rafa as its author and with a cat, purring in my LAP, clue.

    Rafa excels with clever and misdirective clues, today's being no exception. Too many to name here individually...pick one and you will get my agreement.

    I've only been part of this group for three-plus years and have found the experience has provided me with greater solving ability and appreciation of puzzle construction, as well as joy reading the (often) thoughtful comments by other community members and the inimitable commentary by Rex.

    Congratulations on 20 years and, it being a Friday, hope you appropriately celebrate both!

    ReplyDelete
  74. Anonymous11:41 AM

    You are sooooooo brave to have kept going Rex. You are courageous, brilliant, a friend to animals and allay of the rainbow. Fantastic work, keep it up fir another two decades!

    ReplyDelete
  75. Happy Anniversary, Rex, and thank you for not giving up after those first few posts! Were it not for your blog and the comment section, I'd be all alone as a crossword solver. What a happy day it was for me when I discovered your blog, and could share in the fun and frustrations of solving, with you and fellow solvers. Thank you for sticking with the puzzle, the blog, and us!

    The puzzle: I needed to go all the way over to the NE corner's REEL x ACME and ROME to get my start, but after that the grid unfurled nicely, at first down the left side, until GAME THE SYSTEM gave me access to the rest. Like others, I found the NW corner the toughest to sort out, especially with an incorrect dINnER DATE to contend with. Thank goodness a three-letter word ending in "Dn" was impossible!

    ReplyDelete
  76. Happy Anniversary! You make the world a better place!

    ReplyDelete
  77. Thought I was on easy street when I popped in IKNOWRIGHT for 14 across, then spent a long time convincing myself that I was wrong. Overall average time, really enjoyed the longer ones and liked the cluing throughout. Nice puzzle,

    ReplyDelete
  78. Mere Mortal in MI11:57 AM

    Congrats Rex. This may have been my best crossword day ever! Finished the puzzle in relatively quick fashion, even whooshed through some parts of it, only to find that Rex felt it ‘challenging’! I’ve arrived!!! And, as a bonus, it's on Rex’s 20th blog anniversary . . . a day we’ll both remember.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Andrew Miller12:11 PM

    Congratulations on 20 years! I started solving NYT puzzles in college around 2005 and found your blog not long after it started. Grateful that you’ve kept it going and it’s still as much a delight as always. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sticking with me, Andrew

      Delete
  80. I’m with those who found this easy although the bottom half was a tad breezier than the top. I did not know NINO (and I’ve read the book) and CAVA and ODD and CANOE were not obvious so the NW (hi @Rex) was not whooshy for me too.

    Costly erasure - ANT farm>hill>NEST

    Jack Paar’s catch phrase was a nice touch.

    This was a lot of fun, no junk and plenty of sparkle and smiles. Liked it a bunch!!

    @Rex - thanks for doing something I’ve looked forward to every day for the last 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  81. Congratulations on 20 years! I enjoyed today's puzzle. Got stuck for a while in NW corner became I wasn't seeing canoe as correct. But when i filled in 19 across, I saw that canoe was the only remaining choice. Nice puzzle with some hood clues.

    ReplyDelete
  82. Harder than snot themelesspuz. Some no-knows, but the real nanosecond killers were them frisky clues. That there LADLE clue led the way.
    tough stuff. I kid you snot.

    staff weeject pick: ATE. Had one of them puz-within-a-puz clues.

    some fave stuff: IKIDYOUNOT. BERIGHTBACK. ASKSNICELY. GAMETHESYSTEM. THATREMINDSME. SAIGON [M&A spent about a year there, when it was still called that.]

    Thanx, Mr. Musa dude. So refreshin, to suffer that much, for one meager "U". har

    20 years of a superb crossword blog -- deserves some additional comment. Near as I can tell from some pokin around, looks like I've been hauntin it for around 15 or so of em. Lotsa cool memories, especially all the Comment Gallery folks I've met. A few of the many greats no longer around here much:
    Loren Muse Smith darlin. evil doug. Z. Andrea Carla Michaels. sanfranman [who used to be able to calculate puz difficulty from actual solvequests data!]. Bob Kerfuffle. foodie. chefwen & chefbea. Two Ponies. Nancy, that threw some puzs at her wall. And the great r.alph Bunker, who most kindly decided to create a website where M&A could splatz his many runtpuzs, and have folks discuss them. Them weird, often razzed, runtpuzs, which were originally built to show @RP that xwords could be far worse than the NYTimes ones he didn't like.
    Miss y'all, a mighty big bunch, amigos.

    Also really enjoy bein with all the folks still around these parts, of course.

    Masked & Anonymo1U [s]

    p.s.
    Runt puzzle:
    **gruntz**

    M&A

    ReplyDelete
  83. 🎈🎈Happy 20th!🍾🍾

    Glad to see Rafa in the byline today. Thanks for the blog, Rex!

    ReplyDelete
  84. I wonder where I can look up how long I've been reading this, or at least commented first. At any rate, this has become essential reading for learning, engagement and enjoyment - no matter how much I enjoy other xword outlets, they all just kind of fizzle without the visit to RP afterwards.

    As for the popularity and endurance, I must offer a BANAL quote: "If you build it, they will come."

    Same experience of struggling with NW until the end, but a good, rewarding struggle - rest of the puzzle gave me confidence in the constructor (as if the byline hadn't already accomplished that).

    ReplyDelete
  85. Anonymous12:53 PM

    I’m always nervous I’ll come here after a struggle and you’ll say it was easy lol! I’m so glad we had a similar solve today!!

    Happy Anniversary!!! I’m so glad you’re here!

    ReplyDelete
  86. Anonymous1:06 PM

    Congratulations for the 20 years of NYT Crossword blogging! Always fun to get your perspective. 👍😎👍

    ReplyDelete
  87. Congratulations on your 20th anniversary Rex! I love that this whole gang is here every morning to commiserate/complain/celebrate. Thanks for getting up early every (almost) morning to make that happen.

    I'm celebrating today because it's one of those rare Fridays when a puzzle I thought was disappointingly easy gets a Rex Rating of "challenging". Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  88. Wow, 20 years! Impressive. Many thanks for your endeavors and happy blog anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  89. Congratulations Rex for your consistent contribution to this community!
    20 years!
    Every morning I finish the puzzle and say, “Let’s see what Rex says.” And often I share a laugh, or interesting fact from excerpts of your comments with my non-puzzling spouse.
    One thing I appreciate that hasn’t been mentioned so far is your open minded approach to managing the blog. You endure a lot of um, tactless remarks and allow for give and take. I'm glad for the people who’ve chosen to express their creativity here with humor, and they can do that because you share the space.

    Oh yes, I can’t forget to thank you again for introducing Minute Cryptic! What a treat that has become in my life. Thanks for everything you do. 👏👏👏

    ReplyDelete
  90. Super duper good puzzle. At one point I was worried I might have to look something up but managed to nail it in the end. I wasted some full minutes because I wrote BERIGHTHERE, somehow not realizing that RIGHT and THERE were sharing a T.

    ReplyDelete
  91. Anonymous1:38 PM

    Congrats on the blog! Some great songs by GARAGEBANDS: (We Ain’t Got) Nothin’ Yet (Blues Magoos), Pushin’ Too Hard (Seeds), 96 Tears (? and the Mysterians), Keep On Dancing ( Gentrys), Liar, Liar (Castaways)

    ReplyDelete
  92. I kinda zipped right through this; about an average Friday, so am surprised to see Rex finding it challenging! That doesn't happen too often.

    I started doing the NYTXW around 1988... I would buy the Sunday Times, and after reading the whole paper, try the crossword. It was very tough and I would often take all week to finish it. Of course, there was no internet yet, so when I got stuck I would: take it to the library and look stuff up! Different days.

    I started doing the daily puzzle online in about 2012. My previous experience with blogs and discussion groups was mainly via my job, which was computer animation and website programming. When I discovered Rex's blog I was delighted, and I think that was early 2013. Over the years it has been sad to see so many regulars vanish: Loren, Acme, bocamp, etc etc. But Rex: congratulations and thanks for hanging in there!

    ReplyDelete
  93. Anonymous1:56 PM

    Really enjoy the blog. Thanks for the work you do so I can play. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  94. Anonymous1:59 PM

    Happy anniversary, Rexie, got you on my miiiind 🎶

    ReplyDelete
  95. Tom F2:08 PM

    The idea of anything staying fresh and relevant on the internet for 20 years…
    Amazing job - congratulations and thank you. Quite an achievement and commitment.
    The NYT thanks you, too - I would not be so constant a solver and subscriber without the interest I developed in part by reading this blog!

    Bizarrely, because I am not a particularly accomplished solver and I rarely find anything easier than OFL, I plunked in most of the puzzle straight out of the clue. Was just on this puzzle’s wave length today.

    ReplyDelete
  96. Bhove2:08 PM

    THANK YOU! I enjoy your blog every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  97. JoeMN2:17 PM

    Rex Parker is the best thing on the internet. Thank you for the crossword blog.

    ReplyDelete
  98. Anonymous2:30 PM

    Happy 20th Rex! Although we don’t post, my wife and I have appreciated and enjoyed your insights and eccentricities for many years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “Eccentricities”! I like that, thx

      Delete
  99. Anonymous2:34 PM

    Thank you! I love your blog…makes my day!

    ReplyDelete
  100. LorrieJJ2:44 PM

    First off, thank you, thank you, thank you! Rex, for complementing my morning xword solve with your pithy observations. We might not always agree, but I respect what you do and what you've got to say.. Most of the time. Well, quite often.
    And as for today's, usually I'm the one who, every morning, bemoans how a puzzle can beat me up, but today I just flew through it. My all-time best time for a Friday. Rafa and I were just on the same wavelength I think. Thanks Rafa! Oh and BTW I really like it when you're guesting ... very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rafa is great and I’m lucky to have him

      Delete
  101. Tom T2:46 PM

    Congratulations, Rex! You're the best! (And congratulations me for solving this Challenging puzzle in my "Easy/Medium" just under thirty-minute time!) I agree completely with Rex about the NW and had many of the first wrong guesses and confusions that he did:

    ReplyDelete
  102. Anonymous2:54 PM

    Reminded by LADLE of the following joke:

    A young couple, who had been sharing a 2-bedroom apartment before recently becoming romantically involved, had the guy’s mother over for dinner. In honor of the special occasion the girl brought out some special heirloom utensils, including a silver ladle. His mom enjoyed the meal, but grew increasingly suspicious about the pair’s denial of being more than friends.

    While cleaning up after mom left, the girl noticed the ladle was not to be found. When it had still not turned up after a week she emailed the mom, writing, “I’m not saying you have it, but not saying you don’t…” In reply the mom wrote, “I’m not saying you’re sleeping together, but not saying you aren’t—though if you were using your own bed you would have found the ladle by now…”

    ReplyDelete
  103. Anonymous3:03 PM

    Not CANNES.

    ReplyDelete
  104. Elaine23:26 PM

    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  105. Rex, thy name is Persistence! I discovered you when I tried my hand at constructing back around the time when you started your blog. I was doing pretty much every major crossword puzzle and reading all the blogs. Nowadays it's just the NYTXW and your blog. Always look forward to your witty and insightful remarks and the collective consciousness of the commentariat.

    I'm guessing from "you're always 'taking' breaths, no matter what you're doing" critique of MEDITATION that you aren't a practitioner. That clue worked on two levels for me. It's breathtaking because taking slow, controlled breaths is a major focus of MEDITATION and the rewards of its practice can be breathtaking in the sense of beautiful and awe-inspiring.

    I really enjoyed the puzzle and was able to drop in several longs with minimal crossing help. Lots off good stuff there. One nit is I don't think PSST is a "Poke alternative". A poke is more of a overt physical act of jabbing or prodding, open for anyone to see while PSST is much more of a covert act without any visible physical activity, meant to be noticed by only one person.

    ReplyDelete
  106. Anonymous3:40 PM

    Happy anniversary! Love your wit and creativity and Holiday Pet Pics!

    ReplyDelete
  107. First, thanks to Rafa for a really good puzzle. A lot of colloquialisms, but they were good ones. Even I, a guy who tries to avoid that kind of speech, had to stop and admire I KID YOU NOT. So often the comfortable phrases are things that I know of but don’t use. I actually use that one. And GAME THE SYSTEM and THAT REMINDS ME (as clued) were pretty good.

    The LADLE clue was really off. Trying too hard. And nobody I know smokes E-CIGs. They vape. They use vapes. There are no E-CIGs IRL.

    The other thing that tripped me up for a bit was PCP. I keep a note pad beside my laptop while I solve and my note for this one says PCP WTF? Peoples’ [Go-to doc] is Angel Dust? But it worked; I got the congrats, tucked away my laptop and told myself I would revisit this in the morning.

    Aah, morning, when your mind is at least semi-clear … One of those Ps has to be Physician, right? Of course - Primary Care Physician. Doh! So not Phencyclidine, after all. What a relief. Primary Care Physician is a term I think I have heard but not one that I use. Our first point of contact with the medical system is our GP (General Practitioner) of just “our family doctor”.

    •••••••••••••••••••

    @Rex. Congratulations on 20 fine years. And thank you so much for being here for us. You’re informative, you’re funny, and your occasional nastiness is quite entertaining. I arrived here when, circa 2010, I finished a printed version of the puzzle and didn’t understand an answer that seemed somehow right. Looked it up and there you were. I’ve been following you ever since. First as a lurker, then an anonymous commenter, and then as pseudonymous me. You’re the best!

    ReplyDelete
  108. Anonymous4:06 PM

    Happy anniversary Rex! It’s a huge accomplishment to create (and lead!) any community — and you’ve done it with a bunch of cranky puzzlers.

    ReplyDelete
  109. Thanks Rex and congrats on 20 years, 12 of which I have witnessed. I've met so many great people from this blog, both literally and virtually. Long live Rex Parker.

    And I had a very similar experience with the NW of this puzzle. I had nothing north of BELL SAIGON (I was too afraid to put in ENO). I couldn't even think of EYELETS with the ETS in place. Finally, finally, I saw LADLE leading to CUDDLE, ANAL and then pulled CAVA from out of some CAVe. CANOE as a slalom bit of equipment, I had no idea. I was VOTing for poles, flags, ski something.

    Another scary spot was PCP crossing PSST. The latter seems obvious now but PCP...with the clue, I could only come up with a GP as a go-to Doc.

    The rest of the puzzle was smooth sailing. Thanks, Rafa!

    ReplyDelete
  110. Anonymous4:28 PM

    Brilliant puzzle - seemed impossible at first but gradually emerged despite the names I didn’t know, and will likely soon forget. I enjoyed finishing without having to look up names and I appreciated the clever misdirecting clues.
    Brilliant blog, Rex! 20 years is super impressive. I love your voice and insights. I don’t always agree, but they make me think!

    ReplyDelete
  111. Congratulations to Rex
    I have been doing the Times puzzle since about the time you were born. I would have never found your blog ( I am not an online person) until a friend recommended it. What I found is wonderful writing ( although I often disagree, but that makes it even more interesting) ) and many insightful commenters. I developed a serious illness about 2 years ago and your blog has become ab even more important to me.
    Thanks. Also I enjoy stories about your daughter and your pets!

    ReplyDelete
  112. I'm not so good at keeping up monthly, or even yearly payments, but I just realized that I haven't sent you a contribution for a while but, in honour of your 20th, I thought I'd shave a bit off of my cigar and whisky budget and send you a few hundred bucks. Recently you revealed your morning ritual and what it takes to put out your blog and I am so impressed. Happy anniversary, Rex.

    ReplyDelete
  113. Congrats on 20 years! Very impressive run.

    I was very glad to read I wasn't the only one that had difficulty with that NW corner. Mon dieu!

    ReplyDelete
  114. Thank you so much, Rex, for your wonderful blog! Happy Anniversary! Of course, when I'm stuck, I cheat, I go to your blog and I peek at your solutions. BTW, I discovered you when you "discovered" me. I was cheating, searching the internet for answers, and somehow, you connected with my search! I was outraged. How dare you spy on me! Yet, eventually, I connected with your wonderful blog. And I got to read all those comments from your followers. I always welcome Rafa's comments when she fills in for you, and I welcome her crosswords! Great crosswords, Rafa!

    ReplyDelete
  115. Thanks for showing up through some tough years, maybe especially the current debacle. Congratulations and here’s to many more!

    ReplyDelete