Cornet lookalike / SUN 9-13-26 / Previously-unseen sporting result (term coined in 2014) / Distraction-limiting lifestyle trend / Co-Stooge of Larry / Large insect named from Greek myth / Another name for Vishnu, translating to "the remover" / Source of the word "tuk-tuk" used for a motorized rickshaw / Deandre ___, N.B.A. center who was picked first in the 2018 draft / Mabel Mora's portrayer on "Only Murders in the Building"
Constructor: Henry Lin-David and Frank S. David
Relative difficulty: Easy
THEME: "Thinking Inside the Box" — theme answers are actually clues to eight four-letter answers sitting inside a box at the middle of the puzzle, unconnected to the rest of the grid:
Theme answers:
24A: Certain group of orchestral winds (FLUTE SECTION) => 66A: [24-Across] (STEM)
Word of the Day: Isle of EWE (53D: Isle of ___ (Scottish locale whose name sounds like an expression of endearment)) —
The Isle of Ewe (Scottish Gaelic: Eilean Iùbh) is a small Scottish island on the west coast of Ross and Cromarty. The island is inhabited by a single extended family, the Grants, who have lived at the current settlement on the leeward NE side of the island since the 19th century.
The island is privately owned by GBB Estates Ltd and Crofted by the Grants. The island previously had more families, but these left during the Second World War, when Loch Ewe was used as an important naval anchorage. The isolated position of the island meant that the children had to endure a round trip each day of about 26 miles (42 kilometres) by boat and bus to attend school.
The island remains off grid for electricity and water with this being generated by renewables and back up generators. There remains a single phone cable to the mainland which services the current households and is the only physical connection to the mainland.
Residents and visitors to the island use the Pier at Aultbea daily to travel back and forth for work and supplies.
• • •
I am ready and willing to upgrade the star rating of this puzzle somewhat if anyone can give me an answer to the question, "Why?" That is, "What is the point? What makes the theme cohere? Why are those words in the center and not, I don't know, literally any other words?" I am baffled. Without any clear rationale to the words in the center box, I am left to wonder: why is this interesting? Why is it interesting to have extremely straightforward clues for theme answers that are themselves clues? Why am I enduring barely-a-thing answers like FLUTE SECTION and GIANT SNOWMAN (?!)? I completely understand how the puzzle works, mechanically, but what the point is, where the interest lies, where the hell all the fun is?—I cannot answer any of these questions. I see that the themers, i.e. the clues to the answers in central box, appear in order (i.e first themer is for first Across in the box, second themer for second Across, etc.), and that the themers change meaning when they become clues—that feels like an added layer of difficulty. Structurally impressive, yes, but in the service of what feels like a whole lot of nothing. The puzzle was very, very easy, so I don't know if it will elicit much in the way of negative reaction, but ... as I say, I'm at a loss. If anyone wanted, they could do another puzzle exactly like this, with different theme answers and a different 4x4 box at the center. Every week. For all the Sundays to come. I mean, it would probably take you some time to make it all work out, structurally, but you could do it. Because this puzzle has no actual theme beyond its structure (that I can see). STEM TAXI AKIN YETI? STAY TAKE EXIT MINI? Help me decipher these mystical runes? What am I missing? STAY and STEM are synonyms (meaning, roughly, "stop" or "staunch"). Is that ... something? If I am, in fact, missing something, I pre-apologize and will update the write-up accordingly. But from where I'm sitting right now, this puzzle looks like it's desperately shouting "NOTICE ME!," but has nothing (besides its unusual structure) to show.
The puzzle does have some interesting symmetry. Something about the black square placement in the puzzle was making me mildly queasy, and I briefly thought it lacked any kind of symmetry, but then I noticed that it actually has mirror symmetry along the SW-to-NE diagonal. Don't see that very often.
MONK MODE? Ugh, what are we doing here? "Lifestyle trend"? I cannot sigh hard enough. The very phrase makes me tired. This is insulting to monks. Is this where you go on some kind of no-media diet or retreat? Can you see me rolling my eyes or hear me booing you. "Monk"? Yeesh, please stop. Also, SCORIGAMI, LOL, what? "Coined in 2014"? Why is that information salient? Why are you making me look this up? If this doesn't involve folding up a scorecard to make a crane, I'm going to be very disappointed ...
In sports, a scorigami (a portmanteau of score and origami) is a final score that has never happened before in a sport or league's history. The term was coined in a 2014 article by sportswriter Jon Bois for American football scores in the National Football League (NFL), and is primarily used in this context; it has also been applied sparingly across other sports leagues. (wikipedia)
OK, but ... why is the pun on "origami????" Origami ... has happened before. I did not know these "first ever game scores" had a name, and now I wish I still didn't know. I have no idea what an ATLAS MOTH is, either, but at least that sounds real. The only moth species I know is the IO MOTH. I think. I don't spend much time lepidopterizing, I'll confess.
I had trouble almost nowhere. The center was the part that probably took me the longest, and then only because it came last, and I had nothing to build off of. But in the end, TAKE crossing AKIN got me going and the rest was easy. In the main part of the grid, I didn't know MONK MODE or SCORIGAMI, but got them both fairly quickly from crosses. I had STREUDEL instead of STREUSEL for a while (106D: Topping for an apple crisp), which meant I was in the dark for a bit about SCALED DOWN. I think the diciest moment of the solve had to be that AYTON (??) / STOMP cross, especially since STOMP could quite easily be STAMP (141A: Step forcefully). AYTON seemed more ... name-y, I guess, than AYTAN, so that's the vowel I chose (119D: Deandre ___, N.B.A. center who was picked first in the 2018 draft). Has Deandre AYTON done anything noteworthy in the past eight years? Also, why has DEANDRE never been in the grid? That's a name built for crosswords! AYTON seems like a solid pro, but there's nothing on his resumé (besides the first overall pick thing) that makes him particularly gridworthy. No championships, no All-Star appearances. Still, he's 7'1", that's remarkable. So is the fact that from 2022 through 2025 he made over $30 million/year (4 years, $133M). I sorta like his name. Like a beheaded PAYTON or DAYTON. I don't love the AYTON / STOMP cross, but I do think AYTON should develop a little scoring dance called the AYTON STOMP. Like the Ickey Shuffle, only ... stompier.
[61A: ___ Simmons, founding member of Kiss]
Bullets:
53D: Isle of ___ (Scottish locale whose name sounds like an expression of endearment)(EWE) — "Isle of EWE" => "I Love You"
86A: Another name for Vishnu, translating to "the remover" (HARI) — it's surprising how easy this puzzle was given that this is, what, the fourth answer, at least, that I've never heard of—one that, like AYTON and SCORIGAMI, I couldn't even begin to infer. The only HARI I know is Mata. (In case you were thinking of the phrase "Hare Krishna," as you can see, the spelling is different)
117A: Source of the word "tuk-tuk" used for a motorized rickshaw (THAI) — wanted URDU here. This was in the AYTON STOMP corner, adding to the difficulty of said corner.
134A: Co-Stooge of Larry (MOE) — OK, I like "Co-Stooge," thumbs up for that "word."
6D: Scampered away (SKEDADDLED) — easily my favorite answer in the grid. It's got a bounciness that most of the rest of this grid is lacking.
3D: Cornet lookalike (FLUGELHORN) — like SKEDADDLED, this one's just fun today. (Because of kerning issues, I keep reading this clue on my puzzle print-out as [Comet lookalike])
25D: Mabel Mora's portrayer on "Only Murders in the Building" (SELENA GOMEZ) — SELENA GOMEZ was in a clue for MABEL at the end of last month, and now here we are in a reverse situation. Nice full-name appearance for Ms. Gomez, whose name I misspelled as "GOMES" for some reason, my apologies to her and her cosmetics empire.
That's all for today. See you next time.
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld
P.S. a reminder—on Thursday, September 17, at 7pm in Jersey City, NJ (just across the Hudson from Manhattan), I'm doing a little fundraising event for the world's greatest radio station, WFMU, hosted by DJ (and avid crossword solver) Evan "Funk" Davies. It's the WFMU Crossword Meet-Up! Longtime NYTXW constructor Gary Cee will also be there. We'll be sharing our WFMU-themed crosswords and talking about crosswords and generally just hanging out and having a nerdy good time, so if you're in the New York metropolitan area and have the time and inclination, please come out and say hi. More information here.
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd] ============================= ❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
Easy. Pretty much what @Rex said. My opinion may have been colored somewhat because I had to solve on my phone and that made it difficult to scroll between clues and answers in the central box. * * _ _ _
Overwrites: I had jal for Japan's largest carrier before ANA (15D). My 16D seasonal business locale was a RESORT area before TOWN. For combined at 22A, I had as ONE before IN ONE. My rusty high school Spanish gave me "De dónde esta tú?" before ERES at 33A. In the box at 66A, my FLUTE SECTION was reed before it was wind before it was STEM. Also in the box, my 73A car service was lube before it was TAXI. At 121D, my chimpanzee weaponized a Stone before a SPEAR.
WOEs: Sporting result SCORIGAMI at 17D. The Scottish Isle of EWE at 53D. MONK MODE at 64A. I didn't know about HARI at 86A. NBA center Deandre AYTON at 119D. DEE, Dennis's sister at 140D (I haven't watched much of the show).
I can imagine it was hard to get if unfamiliar, but I loved seeing Jon Bois’ SCORIGAMI in the mix today!
I liked the feeling of working around that magical center box the entire time, and then finally digging in at the very end. But I agree with OFL, there wasn’t much there to end the puzzle with a Wow!
Totally agree with Rex’s assessment of this puzzle but I too was delighted to see scorigami in the puzzle. It’s a clever idea that has caught hold in NFL fandom. Jon Bois is beloved in the sports wotld, and rightly so.
I hate this nonsense term, I always have. How does the combo of score & origami imply the occurence of novel final score? Its not a portmanteau because that combines two words to describe something new, e.g. smog=smoke+fog, motel= motor+hotel. This is just made up noninformative drivel about a concept no real sport fan cares about.
Liked it way more than @OFL did, but also found it much harder than he did. Worked on it some last night but couldn't finish, and finishing this morning wasn't too hard. I'm not sure how reservation is stay.... Once I go to the hotel, my reservation turns into a stay, but I wouldn't have said they were synonyms. Couldn't parse WAYTOGO into EXIT until I got the TAXI clue in the NE which was my last themer. I guess my biggest holdup was "CLOTH". Obviously (to me, who used reuseable diapers for my kids for a while), CLOTH. I assumed it was asking for what the cloth was made of--Cotton was the obvious answer but of course didn't fit. In some other languages it's Coton so I thought maybe??? Anyhoo, that's where I was hitched for a little bit. Thanks, Henry and Frank, the puzzle-in-a-puzzle theme was a lot of fun, enjoyed it. : )
I mean, your score is your score, and I won't say you should change it. But yes, the theme of this puzzle is its structure, and probably because I'm not nearly as adept a puzzle-solver as you are, I really enjoyed how this structure affected my solving experience. It almost felt like a new genre of crossword. You write someone else could do a puzzle exactly like this as if that invalidated the theme. But that's part of what I like. So many puzzle themes seem derivative; this felt inventive. It's fine to just not like it, but it seems incoherent to complain that there's nothing to the theme other than itself. When is there ever?
This felt like scorigami -- a word I don't want to defend to the extent I'm defending the puzzle. But I think the idea is that while origami itself isn't new, each pattern was new once: someone found a new way to create something intricate and arresting simply by folding a piece of paper in ways they had never quite been folded before. Although it's a stretch to think of unprecedented American football scores as an art, I can "see" it because I've spent the last 50 years intermittently wondering "wait, how did they get to THAT score?" It's not possible for a football score to be intrinsically unique, yet it can surprise and delight.
...oh, I completely misunderstood the clue on EWE. "Isle of Ewe" -> "I love you". I thought the "sounds like" part was referring to the answer alone, which led me to believe that somehow EWE is a way to spell a Gaelic word that sounds like AWW.
Ohhhhh! I thought it was just “you” like how you might say “hey, you” endearingly to your love instead of their name. I completely missed the Isle of part! Thank ewe!
There really isn’t anything deeper Rex - a meta mini inside the main puzzle. Does the title really work? If the primary actually had a theme - that would have been impressive - but the themers are only there for inside 4s. I liked the diagonal symmetry at least.
I solved the entire main grid and was left with the mini - YETI went in and that was that. Is second-hand SMOKE the same as PASSIVE SMOKE? SKEDADDLED is the highlight for me and I guess I learned ORIOLE. Hey @Pablo - doesn’t ERES work with usted not tú - maybe I’m missing something. Didn’t know AYTON or SCORIGAMI - some obscure trivia here for sure but the crosses were easy enough.
I completely agree about the central box. I found the rest of the puzzle very easy but was stumped by the box. The puzzle's theme, "Thinking inside the box threw me off" as I initially thought the box answers should have something to do with thinking. It didn't help that my Windows PC solver kept jumping around when I tried to have keyboard focus on the box and view the related clues/answers.
The main puzzle was easy. The center box was a stumper until I got "YETI". Then "MINI", "TAKE", Then TAXI, AKIN and finally STAY, EXIT. I don't like EXIT and wouldn't have gotten STEM otherwise.
Overall, I agree with Rex on the rating. My wife and I thought the outer puzzle was fairly boring and routine with clues/answers. Liked Streusel and Skedaddled.
Finished the main puzzle, then looked at the sixteen blank boxes in the center. Entered AKIN and guessed above it would either be Uber or Lyft. Could not RELATE the cross-referenced clues and, without any hint of cross-relevance, just gave up. The center box is better suited for the MINI, IMO.
Hey All ! I can send Rex's point about the Center Box. Was there a way to make them all related? Or, have them all correspond to one central point/idea/Theme? Not sure.
Interesting idea. Didn't notice grid was 22x22 until right now. Also didn't notice the Diagonal Symmetry, which Rex points out, and which got me to look at the grid, thereby seeing it was larger. Silly me should have known, because to get even lettered words in the exact center of a puz requires even numbers of rows and columns. But that wooshed over my head.
So more puz for the money! 484 Squares vs. 441 squares. I'll let someone else figure out the percentage!
Took slightly less than 30 minutes here, so fell on the easy side, with it seeming to take longer, as was stuck in a couple of spots. Had to Goog for ART Blakey (8D), stuck there, and that allowed me to finish the puz.
Liked it overall. Was wondering how TAKE corresponded to APPROPRIATE, as I was pronouncing it A-PRO-PRE-IT instead of A-PRO-PRE-ATE. Silly word. 😁
Grid design seemed to make for a ton of short answers, making for a very choppy solve. Not sure if what you are supposed to do was more obvious on the NYT version, but it wasn't too hard to figure out.
I knew of SCORIGAMI, but it seems a particularly inapt coinage - nothing to do with origami, really. An interesting concept that needs a better word for it.
Hmmm. Methinks this is why I thought of a tsunami portmanteau, plus it does seem like a strange combo. The only thing SCORIGAMI does is rhyme. Which might be “cute,” but that’s it.
I liked this, thought it was very clever to have a 4x4 mini-puzzle in the middle whose answers are clued by the long "main puzzle" answers. Yes, I agree if there had been a separate theme in the mini-puzzle, that really would've made this impressive. Yes, it's true that not all of the longer answers were clues to the middle. OK, ok. I too found the puzzle overall very easy... except for the middle, which took me a little extra time.
I knew ATLASMOTH because the I still remember the article in my wildlife encyclopedia when I was growing up 50+ years ago. Still have the set and showed my wife the pictures! (She calls this "useless knowledge"...)
I also found it clever and I really liked the concept, which I found to be well executed. I kind of figured it must be a double puzzle -- how else could you solve it -- but I still got an aha moment when it worked. I have never seen this before and I think it must take some effort to construct one -- finding eight clue-answer-clue triplets that fit in the grid symmetrically and that also work together to clue a tight little crossword. That seems like a lot of constraints to satisfy. But what do I know?
I love that you still have your childhood encyclopedia! I'm inspired to retrieve my red Britannica Junior Encyclopedia set from my parent's attic.
I also enjoyed it. Although it took me a little longer than usual. I don’t understand how it’s a criticism at all to say that you could do the same thing with other words. I look forward to that happening. This was different, and I don’t mind if I see it again sometime.
Lifeless and uninteresting- two stars is quite generous. The fact that the "theme" answers aren't fun or congruent, combined with the fact that the puzzle provides nothing else worthy of renown, made this easy and boring. The only saving grace for me, as a massive Jon Bois fan, was SCORIGAMI.
When I first saw the title I was expecting a rebus puzzle, with words related to thinking ("idea", "thought", etc) scattered throughout the grid. It took until after my first pass to even clock the disconnected mini-box in the middle of the grid. I avoided filling in the theme answers because I have been trained to assume theme answers are tricksy and you avoid them until you have tons of crosses. But they were just... normal answers. I avoided the center-mini until I was done with the rest of the grid and like Rex I expected the answers to all pull the theme together somehow. I couldn't find anything in common and thought "tomorrow morning I'm sure Rex will explain it." It's not uncommon for me to miss a layer of theming. But... nope. I didn't miss anything.
A decent solve. I just naturally assumed there was some additional layer I couldn't figure out.
I found the main puzzle innocuous enough — not difficult, but not boring or annoying. But that center box really took some effort to make sense of. Once I got it, it was easy enough to complete. But the fact that all those answers had to change their meanings when they became clues was a pretty neat trick, and I think Rex isn’t giving it enough credit. Maybe add a half star?
I hated the puzzle, just like Rex did. I don’t always do the Sunday puzzles. I look at the grid and the clues snd try to surmise how interesting the puzzle will be. In this it had an interesting grid and I went for it, hoping for an interesting result in the middle. But instead I got a NYt mini, a type of puzzle i never do because they are so uninteresting.
What a boring and super easy slog this one was. The inner box actually gave me the most trouble — with no joy after solving it. And excuse me, but the STEM is not a standard part of a flute. They are joints attached to the body. I own and play one. I can swallow SCORIGAMI, but boo to STEM.
Well, I’m really out of it—SCORIGAMI was news to me! And my first impulse was URDU too. Overall not easy for me. Felt like I was pulling teeth all the way, especially in the SE. In the center, got TAKE and AKIN right away, then struggled, I think mainly because RESERVATION and STAY are AKIN but not a perfect fit.
For a New Yorker, a taxi and a car service are separate entities. You cannot refer to the former as the latter. They are separate. One has a medallion, one doesn't. That is really poor editing given the name of the publication.
Easy, but not a fan. I actually got the center fairly quickly, though at the end. The biggest stretch for me there was for the clue RESERVATION. The answer was only vaguely related, about as much as payment or breakfast buffet or checkout. Got it from crosses, though. Otherwise it was easy enough for me to finish almost 4 minutes faster than my Sunday average, even though I had to dig to find a spot in the grid where I had a B instead of an A. This made me think the center had to be off until I found the typo elsewhere.
Anonymous 8:36 AM It wasn’t poor editing. Despite constant complaints on this blog there iis no requirement for the clues and answers always be synonyms. As many commenters have said over the years, this a puzzle not a dictionary and a lvl ie hinting at the answer. Car service is close enough for crosswords.
Tuk tuk is onomatopoeic. It comes from the sound of the motor. It might have been coined in Thailand but it doesn’t come from Thai!! Similar outboard motors in the Amazon are called “peki pekis”
Anonymous 8:46 AM According to online sources the term Tuk Tuk arose in Thailand. Yes the Thai people came up with the term from the sound of the engine but they speak Thai. Ergo it is a Thai word No less than boom is an English word.
I also don't get SCORIGAMI - yes, it's a portmanteau of score and origami, but how does origami intrinsically mean rare or never before seen?
Deandre AYTON is mainly known for not accomplishing much after being drafted first. Showed promise on a finals team in Phoenix, then went the other way, actually becoming 3rd or 4th in center rotation for a hapless Portland team. He's in a contract year, so maybe he'll suddenly have a good season??
Puzzle was extremely easy except for getting started in the 4x4 box in the center.
I think I remember from somewhere that the ATLAS moth is the world's largest? (Yes, for wing surface area - but not length or width)
I have been doing crosswords for a long time, but pretty much only NYT. For those of you used to having to find secondary meanings (doing a lot of cryptic etc.), I can see why this is boring, because the little box is not even cryptic. But for me, it was something new and took me a while to understand the center puzzle. My brain took a while to get it. So I enjoyed it. Makes me want to try other types of puzzles.
Flew through this, but had a vaguely unsettled feeling while doing so. It felt easy and yet off somehow - can't explain it, maybe the cluing felt weird? Can't say I enjoyed it much, but didn't hate it either.
Had some fun trying to figure out the center square when the rest of the puzzle was finished - tried a few different answers like "Olaf" for the snowman, and "uber" for the car service and "said" for related, so had fun figuring out which combination of words would fit. 22:49
Also had Olaf and Uber, as well as Lyft (car service) and hole and reed (flute section, though I know the latter two didn’t fit; I was momentarily desperate, as disconnected portions of a crossword puzzle scare me).
Scorigami is pretty widely used during NFL season, at least. There’s a cool matrix chart that is updated whenever a weird score happens, so you can root for a game to end 32-8 (or whatever). It’s been “a thing” for years.
I thought the puzzle was fairly brilliant and unlike Rex would not call it easy, but just right for a Sunday. TIL what a SCORIGAMI is, however I really wanted it to be a SCORInAMI, as in the word tsunami. Anyone else do that? It’s amazing that the outside the box answers are based on something totally different than the inside the box answers and my favorites were the STEM of a champaign flute versus the orchestra section and the exclamation of WAYTOGO(!) versus the literal “way out.” Fun Sunday morning for me and I vote for a higher star rating.
You've made me appreciate it a bit more wth your observation that the theme-answers-turned-clues are mostly misdirects of a sort. But that's not really true of GIANT SNOWMAN/YETI. And I'm so dubious about RESERVATION being a valid clue for STAY.
Actually pretty funny, even to this long time graphic artist/designer who will probably continue to use the term "kerning" and will, if possible, adjust it before publishing.
I’ve been advocating for loosening up the requirement to have a theme 5 days a week for years. Today, we basically had a themeless grid with a mini Meta puzzle stuffed inside of it.
I think the jury is still out on this one for me - for starters, it was super-easy, which is not necessarily a bad thing. The larger Sunday grid did get (do I dare say it ?) - a bit “boring” after a while. Wow, that’s bizarre. I came to crosswords rather late in life. I can remember a decade or so ago when I was struggling to finish a Tuesday or Wednesday without assistance and wondering if I would ever get the hang of this stuff. Today I almost bailed on a Sunday because it felt more like a Monday.
Rex frequently pulls out the “why ?” and “what’s the point” arguments when he doesn’t like a grid - which I don’t find very compelling. You could say that about almost any grid - why, why do we consistently get gimmick or stunt puzzles on Thursdays for example? What’s the point of having clues that sound like gibberish, or hieroglyphs for clues - seriously, this is a word puzzle, so what’s the point of all that nonsense. Anyway, I’ve traveled far enough down this rabbit hole.
It has been an interesting weekend at least - we started out with Robyn, which is usually a good omen. Yesterday was another fine offering, and today we at least got a pretty normal puzzle with no convoluted theme or linguistic hoops to jump through. That’s good enough for me at least.
By the time I got to the box I was too bored to go on -- in retrospect, it would probably have been easy enough, but having to jump around the grid to find the cross-referenced clues just didn't seem worth the trouble. For a while there I was skipping the Sunday puzzles, and I wished I had done it today.
Two particular sore spots: the GENE/GOMEZ crossing, since I had no idea about either one. I've heard of Kiss, but never knew its members; and I keep seeing ads for that TV show, but never watched it. Fortunately, they were common names, so I could get it by crosses.
Then SCORIGAMI! The clue identifies it as a portmanteau word, but it isn't, because, as had been said, 'origami' has nothing to do in the concept, it's just in there because it sounds good. I would have got it faster if I wasn't looking for a portmanteau.
OK, i'm just grumpy because it's nearly 10 and I haven't done anything useful (I won't stoop to UTILE) yet today. I'm gonna go read the funny pages.
Liked it better than Rex did. Held the center box out until the end (which I guess you were supposed to do) and actually found that part kind of tricky. SCORIGAMI and MONKMODE were totally new to me
Totally agree with Rex… except for his spelling of "stanch." "Staunch" is listed as a variant in Merriam-Webster, properly meaning "steadfast in loyalty or principle" (or "watertight, sound"; "strongly built, substantial").
I coined my very own aphorism quite a while ago and have waited patiently through thousands of puzzles for a chance to share it. And today that puzzle is here!!!
As someone with a POROUS memory, I have always known that -- wait for it:
"A MENTAL NOTE is not worth the paper it's printed on."
I'm pretty sure I've never heard this or read this anywhere else. I could say more about the rest of the puzzle, but I don't want to bury the LEDE.
Use it, friends. Please! With my blessing. And a citation would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to go down in history alongside Ben Franklin, Aesop, Mother Goose and the King James Bible:)
Welcome back (even if it’s just for a brief visit) ! Drop by and shoot us a comment every now and then, and don’t be such a stranger. Btw, you’re darn right about mental notes - mine disappear in the time that it takes me to get from the fridge to the couch.
Both the main puzzle and the mini one inside it had contrasting challenges. The main one was difficult to finish thanks to that SE corner and the MINI was simply hard to start.
In the SE I got hung up on STREUDEL for a long time. I tried to make DIALEDDOWN work for that last themer. I was very slow on SCOT but when it finally dropped it was the key to straightening out that corner.
With the MINI I wasted a lot of time going over the themers and their clues looking for some kind of meaning that wasn't there. Finally I realized you just had to spit-ball four letter words based on just the themers. After that it was easy. This was a very elaborate build-up to an underwhelming payoff.
I did not like the middle part at all, in large part because it was totally inconsistent. For instance, "STEM" is literally a FLUTE SECTION, and a YETI is giant, and often referred to as 'the abominable SNOWMAN'; so, those are literal interpretations of the original clue. However, while MINI is a meaning of SCALED DOWN, it's a completely different meaning than 'descended with rappelling ropes,' and the same applies to EXIT/WAY TO GO/"Good job!".
There should be a consistent relationship between the 'outside the box' answer and the 'inside the box' answer, and we didn't have that here, which really threw me.
Also, using now-outdated (post Uber/Lyft) terminology, I objected to TAXI equaling CAR SERVICE. When I met my now-wife, she lived in part of NYC that was a bit off the beaten path—there was a bus stop nearby, and you could make it to the subway in 7 or 8 minutes, but if you wanted to find a cab, you'd have a pretty decent hike to get to a street where you'd be likely to see one. So, if you needed to get somewhere in a car, you called a CAR SERVICE. Think Uber but no app, you told them where you needed to be picked up and they sent a car. So to me, while a TAXI is a CAR, and does offer a SERVICE, TAXI = CAR SERVICE is absolutely wrong to me!
My wife also lived away from the subway in NYC when we met. It was a tough area too. I asked a cop how long it would take to walk to the subway, and he said "I don't know. No one ever made it."
Started out hating it when I had to cheat SCORIGAMI (WTF?). As I continued, against my initial response, I started to like it. Then STEM TAXI AKIN YETI which I didn't have a clue about so I cheated. This puzzle left me with mixed feelings. and I'm glad it's over.
I agree with Rex; this felt like a big So What to me. I was sure I must be missing some theme pertaining to the small box answers. If that had been true, it would have been something. But this was just...meh.
I liked it. I agree that the main part of the puzzle was easy (I didn't notice some of the trouble spots commenters have mentioned as they went in from crosses), but the early FLUGELHORN and SKEDADDLED put me a good mood that lasted to the final SNEERS. The central MINI-puzzle was hard for me, though, and I floundered for quite a while. Was the FLUTE SECTION a word within that entry (i.e., "lute")? Was the CAR SERVICE performed by a mechanic ("lube")? And RELATED meant "told"? I finally thought of STEM and TAKE and AKIN basically AS ONE, and was able to finish with YETI and STAY. I'm with @Beezer 9:11 in admiring this one a lot, for its construction and the thinking required to make sense of the box.
I almost wish I had taken more time on figuring out the center answers - my avatar is a YETI (he's in his pajamas and wearing little bunny slippers not visible in the picture - it's a knitting pattern) so I should have gotten yeti from GIANT SNOWMAN, but I just didn't feel like it this morning and came here to see the answers. After that, I liked the puzzle more, though while solving I kept thinking, "There isn't any clever wordplay (which Sundays really need.)"
My goodness, that ATLAS MOTH lives up to its name - gigantic. You would think it was a bat if it flew at you. But I'm not likely to find myself in Asia at night to find out.
I needed the crosses for the PASSIVE part of PASSIVE SMOKE. When I think back to how much smoke we were all exposed to back in the days before indoor smoking laws came to be, oof. At work, on airplanes, restaurants, bars, even the grocery store. I remember being in the store and seeing cigarette butts on the floor. But no, don't even think of walking in without shoes...very unhealthy. (Indeed, unhealthy for the barefooted person where there are butts on the floor.)
Henry and Frank, I appreciate your efforts on this puzzle.
Here is how the center 4x4 works: Each of the answers inside the box is a synonym for the clue connected to it: “reservation” is another word for “stay.” “Yeti” is another word for “giant snowman,, etc.
22x22 puzgrid. And 4x4 puzgrid. Different. Was somehow able to solve the 4x4 runtpuz using Acrosse clues only. Not so much the 22x22 one.
Kinda neat idea, that you need to think "inside the box" usin "outside the box" answers for yer clues. Unfortunately this concept pretty much needs a SunPuz-sized puzgrid to pull it off. Which leads to a sorta dull, basically themeless 22x22 puz part. Sooo ... I can kinda relate to all that there complaint commentary.
48 weejects! Could be a new weird record! staff weeject pick: EBT. no-know. Better clue: {Bad way to place a bet??} = EBT.
Apex of no-knows today: ANA/ATLASMOTH/SCORIGAMI. Apex of fave stuff: SKEDADDLE.
Thanx for gangin up on us, Mr. Lin-David & David dudes. Cool puztheme idea. Really enjoyed the runtpuz part of the solvequest. har
Rex is right about SCORIGAMI. It’s a stupid portmanteau. Origami is very much about repeating classic forms as perfectly as possible. It is a meditative practise that creates small (ish) lovely sculptures. Yes, there are superstar folders who create brand new forms, but they are a small elite group. Most of us think of origami in terms of cranes, swans, balloons, little boats, etc. Traditional rather than original creations. Perfectly crafted. Hardly original. My 6 year old grandson is a pretty good folder. He was taught by his father who was originally mentored by me.
MONK MODE is actually an interesting concept except, as @burtonkd said, MONKMODE is one of those things where people go online to tell everyone how not online they are.
So, not my fave Sunday puzzle. More about the mechanics of construction than wordplay. And it was just too easy.
One hundred and sixty entries. That's sure to be a 3 and 4 word festival. Troisième et Quatrième Festival of Elanification.
Far be it for me to bring up personal issues here on the blog, but since this puzzle isn't really worth talking about, I would like to share that starting tomorrow for the first time in basically one hundred days the high is going to drop below 90° and I couldn't be more delighted. Brutal run of insufferable weather. I know you're thinking, "Well, he lives in Albuquerque, what does he expect?" You watch Breaking Bad, you watch Coyote vs. ACME, and yeah, it's a lotta dirt out here, but this has been brutal even by local standards. The mighty Rio Grande ran dry. Like this puzzle, I've been trapped in a meaningless box in the middle of nowhere. So there you go. My thoughts on the puzzle.
I think it's actually a pretty good idea to have answers clued off of other answers, but there doesn't seem to be any there there today.
❤️ MONK MODE. FLUGELHORN. SKEDADDLED. SCORIGAMI.
GENE Simmons. 🎸 🤘
A big hug to @Les for yet another day of rubbing sod in your nose.
1 The hardest thing to put on a calendar. 2 What a noted billionaire brings to work when teamed up with two old geezers. 3 Why I can't remember your name... or my own. 4 Generally, how I avoid victory.
1 TIME TRAVEL RESERVATION (~) 2 SELENA GOMEZ IV BAG 3 MENTAL NOTES SKEDADDLED 4 OVERALL SLAYS NO LOSE (~)
My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Where to find my brain. ROGUE RANGE.
So it seems like the whole point of the "outer" puzzle was to discover the clues for the central mini-puzzle. OK. It's kind of an interesting concept, but I didn't find it a very interesting solving experience.
The "main" part of the grid was a bit of a slog, as Sundays often are; not too horrible. But it saved the worst for last, as I really disliked having to look up another answer to get the clue to each answer in the box. I finished correctly and thought: glad that's over. Impressive construction, but not fun for me.
Lots of things I didn't know: SCORIGAMI (?), MONK MODE (I had MONO MODE at first), PASSIVE SMOKE? (I've heard of "second hand smoke"). A few Unknown Names; at 25 down I had HELENA GOMEZ for ages until I realized FLUTE HECTION was unlikely. Oh, SELENA!... her I've heard of.
Not a crack solver like many/most of you, i found the main puzzle difficult but satisfying to complete as a themeless, tho i kept noticing the empty cage on the middle and saw that there was no need to deal with it until I completed the main puzzle.
When realized what that box wanted of me that was completely divorced from the solving experience around it and involved annoying cross-references up the kazoo, I had zero interested in solving it.
The puzzle had no heart and I wound up despising the experience.
the long theme answer's then become the clues for the box in the middle of the grid. it holds up structurally - you're suppose to save the middle box for last which in itself is pretty ingenious. not sure the history of a 'mystery' box like this in puzzling - granted the fill was fairly easy - that being said the center box answers do indeed work all 8 of them in relation to the answers they were based on.
Late to the party as I had to serve as the tenor section in our church choir today and accompany a soloist and do a solo of my own. The dozen or so people in the congregation were all thrilled, probably.
Mostly easy puzz but some longer answers were total unknowns. Good for you folks who knew SCORIGAMI, but others have raised reasonable objections . Not a word I'm likely to use. As usual I found some names I didn't know--SELENAGOMEZ took up a lot of room and I also met EVAN and HARI and Ms. AYTON. MONKMODE?? Explanations in the comments make this one worth while.
Wondered if people would want ESTA for ERES. To be or to be? The confusing Spanish question.
The middle was going nowhere until old friend AKIN showed up which begat TAKE and the rest was easy enough.
And of course today's highlight was the pure and unadorned PABLO, which @Roo chose to ignore entirely. If this starts to appear with a little more frequency I'll catch up to him some time in August of next year.
Kind of an interesting construction, HLD and FSD. Had Little Deception but Felt Sorta Different so there was that. Thanks for a medium amount of fun.
l.a. times sept 13 puzzle is an absolute gem - not a subscriber I put up with the ads on the front end - Sunday September 13, 2026 Betsy Ochester & Andrew Gutelle Theme: "A.I. APPLICATIONS it's what we wish nytimes Sundays would be like in 'general' on Sundays. the L.A. times is in many ways the sister to the ny times a shame the prime guy got a hold of it.
I wasted way too much time wracking my brain for a way to make 'oboe' work for the top line in the inner square, it being the only part of a wind section that shows up regularly in crossworld. Nothing much else to say.
I cannot get on board with the pro-SCORIGAMI camp. That and AYTON/STAMP/STOMP. Just awful. Inner puzzle took me a bit of fiddling because of TAXI/STEM in lieu of UBER/LYFT/REED (as others have pointed out, a car service just isn't a taxi), but I did not mind the idea and getting it lined up was satisfying.
it's a father son puzzle no a.i. was used they said - give the puzzle another look the center box holds up magically it's thinking outside the box to figure out what's inside the box. its a 4 star puzzle. have a nice day everyone
Try as I might, couldn't suss out the box answers...so to me this puzzle was just too opaque...a real pity because I genuinely enjoyed completing the main part of the puzzle, which all seemed fairly clued.
I also did not know SCORIGAMI, but chuckled at the timing as today witnessed the NFL’s first SCORIGAMI of the season—59-37, Bears over Panthers. Not a Bears fan but let’s go Caleb Williams!
The puzzle excluding the center was fairly easy BUT I never got the gimmick. I did think about putting taxi in but then I decided to give up. Though I missed the theme, I don’t understand Rex’s criticism. I thought it was a very interesting concept. Why is another layer of meaning required to make a good puzzle? Once I got here , I found it very interesting. To repeat what a commenter said, the ideal in origami is to have unique folds so the portmanteau does make sense
Hey there, Boss; don’t be dissing the FLUTE SECTION when it’s their stand- or section-mates from the oboe section that get all the crossword love. Oboe has 800 to the paltry 30 for FLUTE and today’s debut FLUTE SECTION. To be fair, oboe section would have been a debut. During my professional musician life, I was a flutist/flautist - either is fine thank you very much. And just kidding.
The plain vanilla of today’s TWIST cone, was tedious with no real payoff. That said, I found the theme concept very intriguing and hope that our constructors will keep working on it. Lots of promise for the “theme island” idea, whereas an island theme sounds painfully Monday-ish. After 65 years of solving, I yearn for new. But I’m not quitting any time soon.
On the bright side, I learned MONK MODE. Never heard or seen it, but I’m not up on current slang unless I check with my granddaughter. I will ask her later if she knows MONK MODE.
Growing up on Ohio (poor Buckeyes yesterday!!) GIANT SNOWMAN a wasn’t what my posse worked on during the many snowy winters; we always wanted to make a snowball a big as a VW bug since establishment of Volkswagon of America brought it out of its obscurity during the ‘50s to the mainstream of America - and affordability. Lots of ads focused on a product’s being compared to the VW’s size or price. It was still $1799 when my brother and I bought one together in 1969. I had to buy him out a year later when he couldn’t afford to park it when he went to Harvard. My husband and I did buy a very UTILE squareback years later because it could hold all his drums - including the two smallest tympani - when fully (and I do mean fully!) packed. And there, via the GIANT SNOWBALL is my happy memory stimulated by the puzzle. Job done.
Puzzle itself was easy. I spent more time figuring out the game/gotcha/theme in the box, and I was mad when it ended up being so simple. Two stars is generous.
a bit late to this, but my interpretation of the theme was that the 8 clues are to be interpreted “literally” in a sense (i.e. thinking “inside” the box), and also in each case a different definition than how the theme clues themselves were clued.
I think people are missing a major element of the meaning of the title. A standard “trick” of crosswords is to have clues followed by a “?” generally requiring you to “think outside the box” to come up with the answer - often thinking of a different meaning for a word or words in the clue. Because that is what each of the answers in the box required, perhaps the constructors or editor should have put a “?” after the bracketed clues as is the crossword tradition. But I could appreciate the idea of highlighting a fun aspect of wordplay that experienced players are aware of when they see a clue with a “?” It tells you to “think outside the box.”
A day late, both solving and reading the commentary, but on board with Rex's 2-star rating. I get that the 4x4 box was clued with ones from the main grid, but no coherent theme tying them together. I didn't get no satisfaction (or completion) working the middle box. 👎
As @Gary predicted, a mother lode of 4-letter (29) and 3-letter (48!!) answers. The grid, even with "only" two 12-letter answers (neither of which was a themer) presumably forced that; it made the solve a constant slog of entering familiarisms, partials, etc. And with the clue count topping out at 140 Down, there was just too much of that to redeem a weak theme.
ReplyDeleteEasy. Pretty much what @Rex said. My opinion may have been colored somewhat because I had to solve on my phone and that made it difficult to scroll between clues and answers in the central box.
* * _ _ _
Overwrites:
I had jal for Japan's largest carrier before ANA (15D).
My 16D seasonal business locale was a RESORT area before TOWN.
For combined at 22A, I had as ONE before IN ONE.
My rusty high school Spanish gave me "De dónde esta tú?" before ERES at 33A.
In the box at 66A, my FLUTE SECTION was reed before it was wind before it was STEM.
Also in the box, my 73A car service was lube before it was TAXI.
At 121D, my chimpanzee weaponized a Stone before a SPEAR.
WOEs:
Sporting result SCORIGAMI at 17D.
The Scottish Isle of EWE at 53D.
MONK MODE at 64A.
I didn't know about HARI at 86A.
NBA center Deandre AYTON at 119D.
DEE, Dennis's sister at 140D (I haven't watched much of the show).
I can imagine it was hard to get if unfamiliar, but I loved seeing Jon Bois’ SCORIGAMI in the mix today!
ReplyDeleteI liked the feeling of working around that magical center box the entire time, and then finally digging in at the very end. But I agree with OFL, there wasn’t much there to end the puzzle with a Wow!
Yes, scorigami is delightful for those of us who know. Everyone should acquaint themselves.
DeleteTotally agree with Rex’s assessment of this puzzle but I too was delighted to see scorigami in the puzzle. It’s a clever idea that has caught hold in NFL fandom. Jon Bois is beloved in the sports wotld, and rightly so.
DeleteI hate this nonsense term, I always have. How does the combo of score & origami imply the occurence of novel final score? Its not a portmanteau because that combines two words to describe something new, e.g. smog=smoke+fog, motel= motor+hotel. This is just made up noninformative drivel about a concept no real sport fan cares about.
DeleteLiked it way more than @OFL did, but also found it much harder than he did. Worked on it some last night but couldn't finish, and finishing this morning wasn't too hard. I'm not sure how reservation is stay.... Once I go to the hotel, my reservation turns into a stay, but I wouldn't have said they were synonyms. Couldn't parse WAYTOGO into EXIT until I got the TAXI clue in the NE which was my last themer. I guess my biggest holdup was "CLOTH". Obviously (to me, who used reuseable diapers for my kids for a while), CLOTH. I assumed it was asking for what the cloth was made of--Cotton was the obvious answer but of course didn't fit. In some other languages it's Coton so I thought maybe??? Anyhoo, that's where I was hitched for a little bit. Thanks, Henry and Frank, the puzzle-in-a-puzzle theme was a lot of fun, enjoyed it. : )
ReplyDeleteI mean, your score is your score, and I won't say you should change it. But yes, the theme of this puzzle is its structure, and probably because I'm not nearly as adept a puzzle-solver as you are, I really enjoyed how this structure affected my solving experience. It almost felt like a new genre of crossword. You write someone else could do a puzzle exactly like this as if that invalidated the theme. But that's part of what I like. So many puzzle themes seem derivative; this felt inventive. It's fine to just not like it, but it seems incoherent to complain that there's nothing to the theme other than itself. When is there ever?
ReplyDeleteThis felt like scorigami -- a word I don't want to defend to the extent I'm defending the puzzle. But I think the idea is that while origami itself isn't new, each pattern was new once: someone found a new way to create something intricate and arresting simply by folding a piece of paper in ways they had never quite been folded before. Although it's a stretch to think of unprecedented American football scores as an art, I can "see" it because I've spent the last 50 years intermittently wondering "wait, how did they get to THAT score?" It's not possible for a football score to be intrinsically unique, yet it can surprise and delight.
...oh, I completely misunderstood the clue on EWE. "Isle of Ewe" -> "I love you". I thought the "sounds like" part was referring to the answer alone, which led me to believe that somehow EWE is a way to spell a Gaelic word that sounds like AWW.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the explanation, Anonymous. I was completely befuddled by that clue. I was wondering, “Since when is ‘you’ a term of endearment?”
DeleteSamesies
DeleteOhhhhh! I thought it was just “you” like how you might say “hey, you” endearingly to your love instead of their name. I completely missed the Isle of part! Thank ewe!
DeleteDitto!
DeleteThis might be the most helpful comment of the year for me. I was totally lost!
DeleteThought it was a baaaa...d clue til just now!
DeleteDone in by the Flugelhorn / Eres cross. I had Flugalhorn / Eras.
ReplyDeleteSame!!
DeleteTotally boring. Thought about quitting after figuring out the box. Also extremely easy.
ReplyDeleteThere really isn’t anything deeper Rex - a meta mini inside the main puzzle. Does the title really work? If the primary actually had a theme - that would have been impressive - but the themers are only there for inside 4s. I liked the diagonal symmetry at least.
ReplyDeleteThe Donnas
I solved the entire main grid and was left with the mini - YETI went in and that was that. Is second-hand SMOKE the same as PASSIVE SMOKE? SKEDADDLED is the highlight for me and I guess I learned ORIOLE. Hey @Pablo - doesn’t ERES work with usted not tú - maybe I’m missing something. Didn’t know AYTON or SCORIGAMI - some obscure trivia here for sure but the crosses were easy enough.
Melvins
Easy enough at least for a rainy Sunday morning solve.
Black Diamond
'Eres' is the conjugation of ser for tú, 'es' is for usted.
Deletehuh. not easy at all. the central box is quite challenging since there is literally no help.
ReplyDeleteThere are literally eight clues of “help”
DeleteI completely agree about the central box. I found the rest of the puzzle very easy but was stumped by the box. The puzzle's theme, "Thinking inside the box threw me off" as I initially thought the box answers should have something to do with thinking. It didn't help that my Windows PC solver kept jumping around when I tried to have keyboard focus on the box and view the related clues/answers.
DeleteThe main puzzle was easy. The center box was a stumper until I got "YETI". Then "MINI", "TAKE", Then TAXI, AKIN and finally STAY, EXIT. I don't like EXIT and wouldn't have gotten STEM otherwise.
DeleteOverall, I agree with Rex on the rating. My wife and I thought the outer puzzle was fairly boring and routine with clues/answers. Liked Streusel and Skedaddled.
Finished the main puzzle, then looked at the sixteen blank boxes in the center. Entered AKIN and guessed above it would either be Uber or Lyft. Could not RELATE the cross-referenced clues and, without any hint of cross-relevance, just gave up. The center box is better suited for the MINI, IMO.
DeleteHey All !
ReplyDeleteI can send Rex's point about the Center Box. Was there a way to make them all related? Or, have them all correspond to one central point/idea/Theme? Not sure.
Interesting idea. Didn't notice grid was 22x22 until right now. Also didn't notice the Diagonal Symmetry, which Rex points out, and which got me to look at the grid, thereby seeing it was larger. Silly me should have known, because to get even lettered words in the exact center of a puz requires even numbers of rows and columns. But that wooshed over my head.
So more puz for the money! 484 Squares vs. 441 squares. I'll let someone else figure out the percentage!
Took slightly less than 30 minutes here, so fell on the easy side, with it seeming to take longer, as was stuck in a couple of spots. Had to Goog for ART Blakey (8D), stuck there, and that allowed me to finish the puz.
Liked it overall. Was wondering how TAKE corresponded to APPROPRIATE, as I was pronouncing it A-PRO-PRE-IT instead of A-PRO-PRE-ATE. Silly word. 😁
Hope y'all have a great Sunday!
Two F's
RooMonster
DarrinV
Grid design seemed to make for a ton of short answers, making for a very choppy solve. Not sure if what you are supposed to do was more obvious on the NYT version, but it wasn't too hard to figure out.
ReplyDeleteI knew of SCORIGAMI, but it seems a particularly inapt coinage - nothing to do with origami, really. An interesting concept that needs a better word for it.
Hmmm. Methinks this is why I thought of a tsunami portmanteau, plus it does seem like a strange combo. The only thing SCORIGAMI does is rhyme. Which might be “cute,” but that’s it.
DeleteBeezer
DeleteFWIW
Someone said earlier that an origami fold can be a unique design.
I liked this, thought it was very clever to have a 4x4 mini-puzzle in the middle whose answers are clued by the long "main puzzle" answers. Yes, I agree if there had been a separate theme in the mini-puzzle, that really would've made this impressive. Yes, it's true that not all of the longer answers were clues to the middle. OK, ok. I too found the puzzle overall very easy... except for the middle, which took me a little extra time.
ReplyDeleteI knew ATLASMOTH because the I still remember the article in my wildlife encyclopedia when I was growing up 50+ years ago. Still have the set and showed my wife the pictures! (She calls this "useless knowledge"...)
I also found it clever and I really liked the concept, which I found to be well executed. I kind of figured it must be a double puzzle -- how else could you solve it -- but I still got an aha moment when it worked. I have never seen this before and I think it must take some effort to construct one -- finding eight clue-answer-clue triplets that fit in the grid symmetrically and that also work together to clue a tight little crossword. That seems like a lot of constraints to satisfy. But what do I know?
DeleteI love that you still have your childhood encyclopedia! I'm inspired to retrieve my red Britannica Junior Encyclopedia set from my parent's attic.
I also enjoyed it. Although it took me a little longer than usual. I don’t understand how it’s a criticism at all to say that you could do the same thing with other words. I look forward to that happening. This was different, and I don’t mind if I see it again sometime.
DeleteThere are actually quite a few mythological moths. Io, Luna, Polyphemus come to mind.
DeleteKiss is really having a moment this week with a clue in the Sunday puzzle and an answer on Jeopardy that stumped 3 trivia geniuses.
ReplyDeleteLifeless and uninteresting- two stars is quite generous. The fact that the "theme" answers aren't fun or congruent, combined with the fact that the puzzle provides nothing else worthy of renown, made this easy and boring. The only saving grace for me, as a massive Jon Bois fan, was SCORIGAMI.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first saw the title I was expecting a rebus puzzle, with words related to thinking ("idea", "thought", etc) scattered throughout the grid. It took until after my first pass to even clock the disconnected mini-box in the middle of the grid. I avoided filling in the theme answers because I have been trained to assume theme answers are tricksy and you avoid them until you have tons of crosses. But they were just... normal answers. I avoided the center-mini until I was done with the rest of the grid and like Rex I expected the answers to all pull the theme together somehow. I couldn't find anything in common and thought "tomorrow morning I'm sure Rex will explain it." It's not uncommon for me to miss a layer of theming. But... nope. I didn't miss anything.
ReplyDeleteA decent solve. I just naturally assumed there was some additional layer I couldn't figure out.
This was dull
ReplyDeleteI found the main puzzle innocuous enough — not difficult, but not boring or annoying. But that center box really took some effort to make sense of. Once I got it, it was easy enough to complete. But the fact that all those answers had to change their meanings when they became clues was a pretty neat trick, and I think Rex isn’t giving it enough credit. Maybe add a half star?
ReplyDeleteI hated the puzzle, just like Rex did. I don’t always do the Sunday puzzles. I look at the grid and the clues snd try to surmise how interesting the puzzle will be. In this it had an interesting grid and I went for it, hoping for an interesting result in the middle. But instead I got a NYt mini, a type of puzzle i never do because they are so uninteresting.
ReplyDeleteWhat a boring and super easy slog this one was. The inner box actually gave me the most trouble — with no joy after solving it.
ReplyDeleteAnd excuse me, but the STEM is not a standard part of a flute. They are joints attached to the body. I own and play one. I can swallow SCORIGAMI, but boo to STEM.
Maybe think of a wine glass rather than the musical instrument?
DeleteIn the box, FLUTE means a drinking glass of a certain shape, of which the stem is an integral part.
DeleteThis upset me, too. Then I realized it could be a champagne flute.
DeleteKeep in mind that in *all* of the inner box clues, the meaning differed from the meaning in the big grid. So flute wouldn’t have been the instrument.
DeleteI think the repurposing of all the themer clues is the missing element Rex was looking for.
DeleteWell, I’m really out of it—SCORIGAMI was news to me! And my first impulse was URDU too. Overall not easy for me. Felt like I was pulling teeth all the way, especially in the SE. In the center, got TAKE and AKIN right away, then struggled, I think mainly because RESERVATION and STAY are AKIN but not a perfect fit.
ReplyDeleteFor a New Yorker, a taxi and a car service are separate entities. You cannot refer to the former as the latter. They are separate. One has a medallion, one doesn't. That is really poor editing given the name of the publication.
ReplyDeleteEasy, but not a fan. I actually got the center fairly quickly, though at the end. The biggest stretch for me there was for the clue RESERVATION. The answer was only vaguely related, about as much as payment or breakfast buffet or checkout. Got it from crosses, though. Otherwise it was easy enough for me to finish almost 4 minutes faster than my Sunday average, even though I had to dig to find a spot in the grid where I had a B instead of an A. This made me think the center had to be off until I found the typo elsewhere.
ReplyDeleteAnonymous 8:36 AM
DeleteIt wasn’t poor editing. Despite constant complaints on this blog there iis no requirement for the clues and answers always be synonyms. As many commenters have said over the years, this a puzzle not a dictionary and a lvl ie hinting at the answer. Car service is close enough for crosswords.
The puzzle was easy until I got stuck in the inner box. I was disappointed the answers werent a secret message.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I kind of thought it might tell me to drink my Ovaltine.
DeleteTuk tuk is onomatopoeic. It comes from the sound of the motor. It might have been coined in Thailand but it doesn’t come from Thai!! Similar outboard motors in the Amazon are called “peki pekis”
ReplyDeleteAnonymous 8:46 AM
DeleteAccording to online sources the term Tuk Tuk arose in Thailand. Yes the Thai people came up with the term from the sound of the engine but they speak Thai. Ergo it is a Thai word No less than boom is an English word.
I also don't get SCORIGAMI - yes, it's a portmanteau of score and origami, but how does origami intrinsically mean rare or never before seen?
ReplyDeleteDeandre AYTON is mainly known for not accomplishing much after being drafted first. Showed promise on a finals team in Phoenix, then went the other way, actually becoming 3rd or 4th in center rotation for a hapless Portland team. He's in a contract year, so maybe he'll suddenly have a good season??
Puzzle was extremely easy except for getting started in the 4x4 box in the center.
I think I remember from somewhere that the ATLAS moth is the world's largest? (Yes, for wing surface area - but not length or width)
-MODE is a very a la MODE MODifier. MONKMODE is one of those things where people go online to tell everyone how not online they are...
ReplyDeleteHaha! I love that!
DeleteWhen I was solving this puzzle, my main thought was "Rex Parker" is gonna HATE this puzzle. It was so lame.
ReplyDeleteI have been doing crosswords for a long time, but pretty much only NYT. For those of you used to having to find secondary meanings (doing a lot of cryptic etc.), I can see why this is boring, because the little box is not even cryptic. But for me, it was something new and took me a while to understand the center puzzle. My brain took a while to get it. So I enjoyed it. Makes me want to try other types of puzzles.
ReplyDeleteFlew through this, but had a vaguely unsettled feeling while doing so. It felt easy and yet off somehow - can't explain it, maybe the cluing felt weird? Can't say I enjoyed it much, but didn't hate it either.
ReplyDeleteHad some fun trying to figure out the center square when the rest of the puzzle was finished - tried a few different answers like "Olaf" for the snowman, and "uber" for the car service and "said" for related, so had fun figuring out which combination of words would fit. 22:49
Also had Olaf and Uber, as well as Lyft (car service) and hole and reed (flute section, though I know the latter two didn’t fit; I was momentarily desperate, as disconnected portions of a crossword puzzle scare me).
DeleteScorigami is pretty widely used during NFL season, at least. There’s a cool matrix chart that is updated whenever a weird score happens, so you can root for a game to end 32-8 (or whatever). It’s been “a thing” for years.
ReplyDeleteI thought the puzzle was fairly brilliant and unlike Rex would not call it easy, but just right for a Sunday. TIL what a SCORIGAMI is, however I really wanted it to be a SCORInAMI, as in the word tsunami. Anyone else do that?
ReplyDeleteIt’s amazing that the outside the box answers are based on something totally different than the inside the box answers and my favorites were the STEM of a champaign flute versus the orchestra section and the exclamation of WAYTOGO(!) versus the literal “way out.”
Fun Sunday morning for me and I vote for a higher star rating.
It's a portmanteau with "origami"- folding the number of points various football plays are worth into unique shapes.
DeleteYou've made me appreciate it a bit more wth your observation that the theme-answers-turned-clues are mostly misdirects of a sort. But that's not really true of GIANT SNOWMAN/YETI. And I'm so dubious about RESERVATION being a valid clue for STAY.
DeleteWhen the kerning is too tight, it’s called “keming”. See https://www.ironicsans.com/2008/02/idea_a_new_typography_term.html
ReplyDeletelove that!
DeleteActually pretty funny, even to this long time graphic artist/designer who will probably continue to use the term "kerning" and will, if possible, adjust it before publishing.
DeleteSCORIGAMIs are fun. I was there for 43-8! IYKYK
ReplyDeleteThe "reservation" answer should be plural, i.e., I had reservations about going to that restaurant, but I ate there anyhow. Weird.
ReplyDeleteI’ve been advocating for loosening up the requirement to have a theme 5 days a week for years. Today, we basically had a themeless grid with a mini Meta puzzle stuffed inside of it.
ReplyDeleteI think the jury is still out on this one for me - for starters, it was super-easy, which is not necessarily a bad thing. The larger Sunday grid did get (do I dare say it ?) - a bit “boring” after a while. Wow, that’s bizarre. I came to crosswords rather late in life. I can remember a decade or so ago when I was struggling to finish a Tuesday or Wednesday without assistance and wondering if I would ever get the hang of this stuff. Today I almost bailed on a Sunday because it felt more like a Monday.
Rex frequently pulls out the “why ?” and “what’s the point” arguments when he doesn’t like a grid - which I don’t find very compelling. You could say that about almost any grid - why, why do we consistently get gimmick or stunt puzzles on Thursdays for example? What’s the point of having clues that sound like gibberish, or hieroglyphs for clues - seriously, this is a word puzzle, so what’s the point of all that nonsense. Anyway, I’ve traveled far enough down this rabbit hole.
It has been an interesting weekend at least - we started out with Robyn, which is usually a good omen. Yesterday was another fine offering, and today we at least got a pretty normal puzzle with no convoluted theme or linguistic hoops to jump through. That’s good enough for me at least.
I totally agree with your take on Rex and his “why?” comment. Haha…it reminds me of “some people ask why, I ask why not?”
DeleteBy the time I got to the box I was too bored to go on -- in retrospect, it would probably have been easy enough, but having to jump around the grid to find the cross-referenced clues just didn't seem worth the trouble. For a while there I was skipping the Sunday puzzles, and I wished I had done it today.
ReplyDeleteTwo particular sore spots: the GENE/GOMEZ crossing, since I had no idea about either one. I've heard of Kiss, but never knew its members; and I keep seeing ads for that TV show, but never watched it. Fortunately, they were common names, so I could get it by crosses.
Then SCORIGAMI! The clue identifies it as a portmanteau word, but it isn't, because, as had been said, 'origami' has nothing to do in the concept, it's just in there because it sounds good. I would have got it faster if I wasn't looking for a portmanteau.
OK, i'm just grumpy because it's nearly 10 and I haven't done anything useful (I won't stoop to UTILE) yet today. I'm gonna go read the funny pages.
Liked it better than Rex did. Held the center box out until the end (which I guess you were supposed to do) and actually found that part kind of tricky. SCORIGAMI and MONKMODE were totally new to me
ReplyDeleteTotally agree with Rex… except for his spelling of "stanch." "Staunch" is listed as a variant in Merriam-Webster, properly meaning "steadfast in loyalty or principle" (or "watertight, sound"; "strongly built, substantial").
ReplyDeleteCan't resist posting my comment on Rex today:
ReplyDeleteI coined my very own aphorism quite a while ago and have waited patiently through thousands of puzzles for a chance to share it. And today that puzzle is here!!!
As someone with a POROUS memory, I have always known that -- wait for it:
"A MENTAL NOTE is not worth the paper it's printed on."
I'm pretty sure I've never heard this or read this anywhere else.
I could say more about the rest of the puzzle, but I don't want to bury the LEDE.
Use it, friends. Please! With my blessing. And a citation would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to go down in history alongside Ben Franklin, Aesop, Mother Goose and the King James Bible:)
Welcome back (even if it’s just for a brief visit) ! Drop by and shoot us a comment every now and then, and don’t be such a stranger. Btw, you’re darn right about mental notes - mine disappear in the time that it takes me to get from the fridge to the couch.
DeleteCongratulations, Nancy, but it's obvious that you didn't Google the phrase. Great minds…
DeleteThat’s brilliant!
DeleteBoring, pointless & and full of c***.
ReplyDeleteBoth the main puzzle and the mini one inside it had contrasting challenges. The main one was difficult to finish thanks to that SE corner and the MINI was simply hard to start.
ReplyDeleteIn the SE I got hung up on STREUDEL for a long time. I tried to make DIALEDDOWN work for that last themer. I was very slow on SCOT but when it finally dropped it was the key to straightening out that corner.
With the MINI I wasted a lot of time going over the themers and their clues looking for some kind of meaning that wasn't there. Finally I realized you just had to spit-ball four letter words based on just the themers. After that it was easy. This was a very elaborate build-up to an underwhelming payoff.
How is “ewe” (53 down) a term of affection, unless you are a sheep?
ReplyDeleteIsle of Ewe = I love you
DeleteI did not like the middle part at all, in large part because it was totally inconsistent. For instance, "STEM" is literally a FLUTE SECTION, and a YETI is giant, and often referred to as 'the abominable SNOWMAN'; so, those are literal interpretations of the original clue. However, while MINI is a meaning of SCALED DOWN, it's a completely different meaning than 'descended with rappelling ropes,' and the same applies to EXIT/WAY TO GO/"Good job!".
ReplyDeleteThere should be a consistent relationship between the 'outside the box' answer and the 'inside the box' answer, and we didn't have that here, which really threw me.
Also, using now-outdated (post Uber/Lyft) terminology, I objected to TAXI equaling CAR SERVICE. When I met my now-wife, she lived in part of NYC that was a bit off the beaten path—there was a bus stop nearby, and you could make it to the subway in 7 or 8 minutes, but if you wanted to find a cab, you'd have a pretty decent hike to get to a street where you'd be likely to see one. So, if you needed to get somewhere in a car, you called a CAR SERVICE. Think Uber but no app, you told them where you needed to be picked up and they sent a car. So to me, while a TAXI is a CAR, and does offer a SERVICE, TAXI = CAR SERVICE is absolutely wrong to me!
My wife also lived away from the subway in NYC when we met. It was a tough area too. I asked a cop how long it would take to walk to the subway, and he said "I don't know. No one ever made it."
DeleteYeah, "scoragami" is a shit coinage. It should be un-coined in 2026
ReplyDeleteStarted out hating it when I had to cheat SCORIGAMI (WTF?). As I continued, against my initial response, I started to like it. Then STEM TAXI AKIN YETI which I didn't have a clue about so I cheated.
ReplyDeleteThis puzzle left me with mixed feelings.
and I'm glad it's over.
And I'm glad it's over!
ReplyDeleteEasy-medium. The center square was the toughest part for me. I tried olaf for the snowman, lyft and uber for the car service…nanoseconds were lost.
ReplyDeleteWOEs that were easily inferable - ATLAS MOTH and MONK MODE
WOE that wasn’t easily inferable - SCORIGAMI
Costly erasures - sWIrl before TWIST and sTe before LTD.
Fun Sunday that made me work for it at the end, liked it more than @Rex did
Another candidate for WOAT, for reasons ably set out by OFL. Ick.
ReplyDeleteThis write-up kept me from walking into the ocean.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Rex; this felt like a big So What to me. I was sure I must be missing some theme pertaining to the small box answers. If that had been true, it would have been something. But this was just...meh.
ReplyDeleteI liked it. I agree that the main part of the puzzle was easy (I didn't notice some of the trouble spots commenters have mentioned as they went in from crosses), but the early FLUGELHORN and SKEDADDLED put me a good mood that lasted to the final SNEERS. The central MINI-puzzle was hard for me, though, and I floundered for quite a while. Was the FLUTE SECTION a word within that entry (i.e., "lute")? Was the CAR SERVICE performed by a mechanic ("lube")? And RELATED meant "told"? I finally thought of STEM and TAKE and AKIN basically AS ONE, and was able to finish with YETI and STAY. I'm with @Beezer 9:11 in admiring this one a lot, for its construction and the thinking required to make sense of the box.
ReplyDeleteI almost wish I had taken more time on figuring out the center answers - my avatar is a YETI (he's in his pajamas and wearing little bunny slippers not visible in the picture - it's a knitting pattern) so I should have gotten yeti from GIANT SNOWMAN, but I just didn't feel like it this morning and came here to see the answers. After that, I liked the puzzle more, though while solving I kept thinking, "There isn't any clever wordplay (which Sundays really need.)"
ReplyDeleteMy goodness, that ATLAS MOTH lives up to its name - gigantic. You would think it was a bat if it flew at you. But I'm not likely to find myself in Asia at night to find out.
I needed the crosses for the PASSIVE part of PASSIVE SMOKE. When I think back to how much smoke we were all exposed to back in the days before indoor smoking laws came to be, oof. At work, on airplanes, restaurants, bars, even the grocery store. I remember being in the store and seeing cigarette butts on the floor. But no, don't even think of walking in without shoes...very unhealthy. (Indeed, unhealthy for the barefooted person where there are butts on the floor.)
Henry and Frank, I appreciate your efforts on this puzzle.
i filled in the center box with...
ReplyDelete"hate
this
hate
this"
and got the happy music.
Here is how the center 4x4 works: Each of the answers inside the box is a synonym for the clue connected to it: “reservation” is another word for “stay.” “Yeti” is another word for “giant snowman,, etc.
ReplyDeleteHare is the vocative (direct address) form or Hari, a name for Vishnu
ReplyDelete22x22 puzgrid. And 4x4 puzgrid. Different. Was somehow able to solve the 4x4 runtpuz using Acrosse clues only. Not so much the 22x22 one.
ReplyDeleteKinda neat idea, that you need to think "inside the box" usin "outside the box" answers for yer clues. Unfortunately this concept pretty much needs a SunPuz-sized puzgrid to pull it off. Which leads to a sorta dull, basically themeless 22x22 puz part.
Sooo ... I can kinda relate to all that there complaint commentary.
48 weejects! Could be a new weird record!
staff weeject pick: EBT. no-know. Better clue: {Bad way to place a bet??} = EBT.
Apex of no-knows today: ANA/ATLASMOTH/SCORIGAMI.
Apex of fave stuff: SKEDADDLE.
Thanx for gangin up on us, Mr. Lin-David & David dudes. Cool puztheme idea. Really enjoyed the runtpuz part of the solvequest. har
Masked & Anonym007Us
p.s.
Runt puzzle:
**gruntz**
M&A
Rex is right about SCORIGAMI. It’s a stupid portmanteau. Origami is very much about repeating classic forms as perfectly as possible. It is a meditative practise that creates small (ish) lovely sculptures. Yes, there are superstar folders who create brand new forms, but they are a small elite group. Most of us think of origami in terms of cranes, swans, balloons, little boats, etc. Traditional rather than original creations. Perfectly crafted. Hardly original. My 6 year old grandson is a pretty good folder. He was taught by his father who was originally mentored by me.
ReplyDeleteMONK MODE is actually an interesting concept except, as @burtonkd said, MONKMODE is one of those things where people go online to tell everyone how not online they are.
So, not my fave Sunday puzzle. More about the mechanics of construction than wordplay. And it was just too easy.
¿Soy invisible o qué?
ReplyDeleteOne hundred and sixty entries. That's sure to be a 3 and 4 word festival. Troisième et Quatrième Festival of Elanification.
Far be it for me to bring up personal issues here on the blog, but since this puzzle isn't really worth talking about, I would like to share that starting tomorrow for the first time in basically one hundred days the high is going to drop below 90° and I couldn't be more delighted. Brutal run of insufferable weather. I know you're thinking, "Well, he lives in Albuquerque, what does he expect?" You watch Breaking Bad, you watch Coyote vs. ACME, and yeah, it's a lotta dirt out here, but this has been brutal even by local standards. The mighty Rio Grande ran dry. Like this puzzle, I've been trapped in a meaningless box in the middle of nowhere. So there you go. My thoughts on the puzzle.
I think it's actually a pretty good idea to have answers clued off of other answers, but there doesn't seem to be any there there today.
❤️ MONK MODE. FLUGELHORN. SKEDADDLED. SCORIGAMI.
GENE Simmons. 🎸 🤘
A big hug to @Les for yet another day of rubbing sod in your nose.
Gunkometer--
People: 11
Places: 3
Products: 11
Partials: 15
Foreignisms: 4
--
Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 44 of 160 (28%)
Funny Factor: 3 😕
🔥 Ooh-la-la! 🔥 Yank. TUG.
Uniclues:
1 The hardest thing to put on a calendar.
2 What a noted billionaire brings to work when teamed up with two old geezers.
3 Why I can't remember your name... or my own.
4 Generally, how I avoid victory.
1 TIME TRAVEL RESERVATION (~)
2 SELENA GOMEZ IV BAG
3 MENTAL NOTES SKEDADDLED
4 OVERALL SLAYS NO LOSE (~)
My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Where to find my brain. ROGUE RANGE.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I hope you remembered your jacket! *ducks*
DeleteSo it seems like the whole point of the "outer" puzzle was to discover the clues for the central mini-puzzle. OK. It's kind of an interesting concept, but I didn't find it a very interesting solving experience.
ReplyDeleteThe "main" part of the grid was a bit of a slog, as Sundays often are; not too horrible. But it saved the worst for last, as I really disliked having to look up another answer to get the clue to each answer in the box. I finished correctly and thought: glad that's over. Impressive construction, but not fun for me.
ReplyDeleteLots of things I didn't know: SCORIGAMI (?), MONK MODE (I had MONO MODE at first), PASSIVE SMOKE? (I've heard of "second hand smoke"). A few Unknown Names; at 25 down I had HELENA GOMEZ for ages until I realized FLUTE HECTION was unlikely. Oh, SELENA!... her I've heard of.
Not a crack solver like many/most of you, i found the main puzzle difficult but satisfying to complete as a themeless, tho i kept noticing the empty cage on the middle and saw that there was no need to deal with it until I completed the main puzzle.
ReplyDeleteWhen realized what that box wanted of me that was completely divorced from the solving experience around it and involved annoying cross-references up the kazoo, I had zero interested in solving it.
The puzzle had no heart and I wound up despising the experience.
the long theme answer's then become the clues for the box in the middle of the grid. it holds up structurally - you're suppose to save the middle box for last which in itself is pretty ingenious. not sure the history of a 'mystery' box like this in puzzling - granted the fill was fairly easy - that being said the center box answers do indeed work all 8 of them in relation to the answers they were based on.
ReplyDeleteLate to the party as I had to serve as the tenor section in our church choir today and accompany a soloist and do a solo of my own. The dozen or so people in the congregation were all thrilled, probably.
ReplyDeleteMostly easy puzz but some longer answers were total unknowns. Good for you folks who knew SCORIGAMI, but others have raised reasonable objections . Not a word I'm likely to use. As usual I found some names I didn't know--SELENAGOMEZ took up a lot of room and I also met EVAN and HARI and Ms. AYTON. MONKMODE?? Explanations in the comments make this one worth while.
Wondered if people would want ESTA for ERES. To be or to be? The confusing Spanish question.
The middle was going nowhere until old friend AKIN showed up which begat TAKE and the rest was easy enough.
And of course today's highlight was the pure and unadorned PABLO, which @Roo chose to ignore entirely. If this starts to appear with a little more frequency I'll catch up to him some time in August of next year.
Kind of an interesting construction, HLD and FSD. Had Little Deception but Felt Sorta Different so there was that. Thanks for a medium amount of fun.
@pabloinnh 3:05 PM
DeleteWell, it might only be a dozen in the audience, but that's 12 lucky people who were lucky enough to hear you.
l.a. times sept 13 puzzle is an absolute gem - not a subscriber I put up with the ads on the front end - Sunday September 13, 2026 Betsy Ochester & Andrew Gutelle
ReplyDeleteTheme: "A.I. APPLICATIONS it's what we wish nytimes Sundays would be like in 'general' on Sundays. the L.A. times is in many ways the sister to the ny times a shame the prime guy got a hold of it.
I wasted way too much time wracking my brain for a way to make 'oboe' work for the top line in the inner square, it being the only part of a wind section that shows up regularly in crossworld. Nothing much else to say.
ReplyDeleteI cannot get on board with the pro-SCORIGAMI camp. That and AYTON/STAMP/STOMP. Just awful. Inner puzzle took me a bit of fiddling because of TAXI/STEM in lieu of UBER/LYFT/REED (as others have pointed out, a car service just isn't a taxi), but I did not mind the idea and getting it lined up was satisfying.
ReplyDeleteit's a father son puzzle no a.i. was used they said - give the puzzle another look the center box holds up magically it's thinking outside the box to figure out what's inside the box. its a 4 star puzzle. have a nice day everyone
ReplyDeleteTry as I might, couldn't suss out the box answers...so to me this puzzle was just too opaque...a real pity because I genuinely enjoyed completing the main part of the puzzle, which all seemed fairly clued.
ReplyDeleteI also play the flute, but I realized “stem” meant a Champagne flute.
ReplyDeleteI also play the cornet. Ain’t no flugelhorn that looks like a cornet. Aside from both having a similarity to the trumpet. Look ‘em up.
I also play the tenor saxophone, the piano, and the tuba. None of those made it into today’s puzzle, thank god.
I also did not know SCORIGAMI, but chuckled at the timing as today witnessed the NFL’s first SCORIGAMI of the season—59-37, Bears over Panthers. Not a Bears fan but let’s go Caleb Williams!
ReplyDeleteScorigami today! CHI 59 - 37 CAR. Per @nflscorigami.bsky.social it's the 1096th unique final score in NFL history.
ReplyDeleteThe puzzle excluding the center was fairly easy BUT I never got the gimmick. I did think about putting taxi in but then I decided to give up.
ReplyDeleteThough I missed the theme, I don’t understand Rex’s criticism. I thought it was a very interesting concept. Why is another layer of meaning required to make a good puzzle? Once I got here , I found it very interesting.
To repeat what a commenter said, the ideal in origami is to have unique folds so the portmanteau does make sense
Hey there, Boss; don’t be dissing the FLUTE SECTION when it’s their stand- or section-mates from the oboe section that get all the crossword love. Oboe has 800 to the paltry 30 for FLUTE and today’s debut FLUTE SECTION. To be fair, oboe section would have been a debut. During my professional musician life, I was a flutist/flautist - either is fine thank you very much. And just kidding.
ReplyDeleteThe plain vanilla of today’s TWIST cone, was tedious with no real payoff. That said, I found the theme concept very intriguing and hope that our constructors will keep working on it. Lots of promise for the “theme island” idea, whereas an island theme sounds painfully Monday-ish. After 65 years of solving, I yearn for new. But I’m not quitting any time soon.
On the bright side, I learned MONK MODE. Never heard or seen it, but I’m not up on current slang unless I check with my granddaughter. I will ask her later if she knows MONK MODE.
Growing up on Ohio (poor Buckeyes yesterday!!) GIANT SNOWMAN a wasn’t what my posse worked on during the many snowy winters; we always wanted to make a snowball a big as a VW bug since establishment of Volkswagon of America brought it out of its obscurity during the ‘50s to the mainstream of America - and affordability. Lots of ads focused on a product’s being compared to the VW’s size or price. It was still $1799 when my brother and I bought one together in 1969. I had to buy him out a year later when he couldn’t afford to park it when he went to Harvard. My husband and I did buy a very UTILE squareback years later because it could hold all his drums - including the two smallest tympani - when fully (and I do mean fully!) packed. And there, via the GIANT SNOWBALL is my happy memory stimulated by the puzzle. Job done.
A second scorigami today…
ReplyDeleteVikings/Packers
Agreed with Rex. Beginning to consider dropping the NYT crossword.
ReplyDelete@CDilly52 7:20 PM
ReplyDeleteMy day always feels complete when I finally see your post. Today's episode is wonderful.
Puzzle itself was easy. I spent more time figuring out the game/gotcha/theme in the box, and I was mad when it ended up being so simple. Two stars is generous.
ReplyDeletea bit late to this, but my interpretation of the theme was that the 8 clues are to be interpreted “literally” in a sense (i.e. thinking “inside” the box), and also in each case a different definition than how the theme clues themselves were clued.
ReplyDeleteI think people are missing a major element of the meaning of the title. A standard “trick” of crosswords is to have clues followed by a “?” generally requiring you to “think outside the box” to come up with the answer - often thinking of a different meaning for a word or words in the clue. Because that is what each of the answers in the box required, perhaps the constructors or editor should have put a “?” after the bracketed clues as is the crossword tradition. But I could appreciate the idea of highlighting a fun aspect of wordplay that experienced players are aware of when they see a clue with a “?” It tells you to “think outside the box.”
ReplyDeleteFun puzzle but it would not print in large print (two pages). That alone made made this Sunday puzzle difficult.
ReplyDeleteA day late, both solving and reading the commentary, but on board with Rex's 2-star rating. I get that the 4x4 box was clued with ones from the main grid, but no coherent theme tying them together. I didn't get no satisfaction (or completion) working the middle box. 👎
ReplyDeleteAs @Gary predicted, a mother lode of 4-letter (29) and 3-letter (48!!) answers. The grid, even with "only" two 12-letter answers (neither of which was a themer) presumably forced that; it made the solve a constant slog of entering familiarisms, partials, etc. And with the clue count topping out at 140 Down, there was just too much of that to redeem a weak theme.
Hardest Sunday of the year for me - because of the centre box gimmick.
ReplyDelete