Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Where Docs and Sheets are stored / WED 8-12-26 / Throw, for instance / Jordan joined it in 1984, for short / 2024 film that won Best Picture / Nickname for MLB's Angels / Greek letter representing elasticity in economics / "Battles" of those busting moves / Mentions by user name on social media

Constructor: Adrianne Baik

Relative difficulty: Easy


THEME: INTERNET TRAFFIC (38A: Web volume measured in hits ... or a hint to 17-, 23-, 49- and 61-Across) — internet-related terms that contain (street) traffic-related terms:

Theme answers:
  • GOOGLE DRIVE (17A: Where Docs and Sheets are stored)
  • NETWORK SPEEDS (23A: Measurements of Wi-Fi performance)
  • COMPUTER CRASH (49A: Major consequence of a virus, perhaps)
  • SERVER DELAY (61A: Cause of some slow data transfers)
Word of the Day: ANORA (42A: 2024 film that won Best Picture) —

Anora is a 2024 American romantic comedy-drama film written, directed, produced, and edited by Sean Baker. It stars Mikey Madison as Anora "Ani" Mikheeva, a lap dancer from New York who marries the wealthy son of a Russian oligarch played by Mark Eydelshteyn. The supporting cast includes Yura Borisov, Karren Karagulian, Vache Tovmasyan, Darya Ekamasova, and Aleksei Serebryakov.

Anora premiered at the 77th Cannes Film Festival on May 21, 2024, where it received critical acclaim and won the Palme d'Or. It was released theatrically on October 18, 2024, by Neon, with Focus Features releasing in other territories. It grossed $59.3 million worldwide against a $6 million budget, making it Baker's highest-grossing film.

Anora received numerous accolades and was named one of the top ten films of 2024 by the National Board of Review and the American Film Institute. It received six nominations at the 97th Academy Awards, winning five for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress (Madison), Best Original Screenplay, and Best Film Editing. It is one of only four films to win both the Palme d'Or and the Academy Award for Best Picture. (wikipedia)

• • •

Didn't notice the theme until I was nearly completely done. I just thought it was a bunch of dreary computer-related terms. Couldn't see how they fit together. I wish I could say the "aha" moments saved it, but it just wasn't big enough. Connecting car traffic to computer traffic is vaguely interesting, but it's been a central metaphor of the internet forever—remember the "Information Superhighway"?—so it's not like there's a real Revelation here, and several of these terms feel a little wonky. "SITE TRAFFIC" is the "traffic" term I hear the most—it outgoogles "INTERNET TRAFFIC" by twenty-fold. Similarly, SERVER CRASH seems like a more common term than SERVER DELAY (again google agrees). "Delay" is the weakest link of the day by far. It just doesn't evoke either world (digital, automotive) very strongly. And then NETWORK SPEEDS seems strange in the plural, when none of the other theme answers are in the plural. Plus, again, the term I think of is "INTERNET SPEED(S)," not "NETWORK SPEED(S)" (and again, google agrees). So the terms just don't land as perfectly as they ought to. But maybe, the whole topic is kind of dreary. No one likes traffic or crashes or delays. I appreciate the parallel here, but it's just not playful or surprising enough. 


The fill isn't helping matters much. Lots of ultra-common 3-4-5s, with very little in the way of bounce or pop. DANCE-OFFS (11D: "Battles" of those busting moves) and STORMS OUT (31D: Leaves in a huff) give the grid some life, but otherwise, it's just loaded with abbrevs. (LOTR CIA SCI TIK ICU TSPS ARO NBA PARA DMS) and foreign words (OTRA, Γ‰TΓ‰, HAI) and a lot of nondescript crosswordese (ALEC, OWLET, LAMA, etc.). We do get a nice cameo from WESLEY Snipes, and the first ever appearance of ANORA, a film title that, given its size and letter combinations, seems like it should've appeared a long time ago (months ago, anyway). A five-letter movie with an alternating V-C-V-C-V pattern sweeps the Oscars—that seems like it would create conditions for a new crossword staple. ANORA is a movie with "Future Crosswordese" written all over it. But for now—it's new. A debut! Let's enjoy the novelty while it lasts. 


I don't see any real difficulty in this grid. HARROW was weird, in that you mostly encounter that word in the adjectival form ("harrowing") (15A: Torment). You very rarely hear about how a monster or serial killer or yeti or whatever "harrowed" the inhabitants of an old house or the kids at sleepaway camp or whatever. I know HARROW as a part of a plow. Actually, no, the plow is a different agricultural instrument. The HARROW is dragged over plowed land to break up and smooth the soil surface.


Bullets:
  • 29A: Identity prefix (CIS) — this is a pretty bare-bones, nondescript clue. "Identity" doesn't tell you much. Doesn't make much difference to puzzle difficulty—I don't even remember seeing this clue while solving—but it's strange to follow up an ORNATE clue for ARO (28A: Feeling little to no amorous attraction, in L.G.B.T.Q.+ lingo) with this oddly plain one. 
  • 45A: Throw, for instance (RUG) — one of the few times today where the puzzle seemed to try to get a little tricky, playing on the ambiguity of "Throw" (here, a noun, not a verb). I think of standalone "throw" as being more of a woman's garment, a light wrap or scarf, or else a light cover for a bedspread. I know the term "Throw RUG," of course, but this clue seems to imply that "Throw" on its own can mean RUG. Not sure about that.
  • 60A: "Sorry, it's ___ from me" ("A 'NO'") — this is one way to get around the Spanish anus problem. The other is by cluing it as a Wheel of Fortune purchase: "I'd like to buy a vowel ... may I have AN 'O,' please?"
  • 3D: Bad thing to pull while running (GROIN) — ouch. This answer took me longer than most of the answers in this puzzle because I was looking for a muscle like hamstring (HAMMY?), or else I thought "pull" was maybe being used in some metaphorical / tricky way, the way you "pull" a stunt ... but no. It's GROIN, everyone's favorite-sounding body part. The "moist" of anatomical terms. No one says GROIN or even thinks about the GROIN unless something has gone horribly wrong. 

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
πŸ“˜ My other blog πŸ“˜:

51 comments:


  1. Easy-Medium. Mostly Easy but I hit a NETWORK DELAY in the North.
    * * _ _ _

    Overwrites:
    At 5A I had Tetons for my high range (TREBLE).
    My 10D farm female was sow, confirming the incorrect Tetons.
    That made HARROW (15A) and the DRIVE part of 17A hard to see. Not fixed until SOW showed up at 61D.

    No WOEs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as he disliked it - Rex was far too nice with his rating. A highly uninteresting theme supplemented with spurious and obtuse cluing. How many “so to speak”, “say” or “as in” clues can you shove into a grid? HARROW is the only highlight.

    Nothing personal but this is easily on the list for WPOTY.

    Big Audio Dynamite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy Freude7:25 AM

      I’m with you, Son. Hard to think of a less interesting theme. Thankfully, the puzzle was easy and soon over.

      Delete
    2. DAVinHOP8:00 AM

      Agree with @Son and @Andy. Going through the motions, I was pretty much only interested in whether Rex would give it two stars, max. Indeed.

      Otherwise, Harass before HARROW but no other real obstacles. Not a bad misdirection attempt with 19A, but I was a Celtics season ticket holder back then (good grief, that was a long time ago), so Michael, not the country, came to mind first.

      23 three-letter words, 19 four-letters, a bunch of POCs. Not worth it in support of an overly techie, dull theme-slog.

      Likely the most entertaining part of the whole effort was chuckling at Rex's final sentence, about the circumstances when one says or thinks about one's GROIN.

      Delete
    3. Never seen harrow used like that, harry would be more familiar & conjugates better imo . Only real head scratcher in the whole puz otherwise

      Delete
  3. Bob Mills6:15 AM

    Good Wednesday. I'd rate it higher than Rex did. Solved it without cheating, surprisingly for this non-techie senior. Hardest part for me was the NW; I agree with Rex that "pulling" one's groin doesn't register as a phrase.

    Clue about Michael Jordan vis-a-vis the NBA was a terrific misdirect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:19 AM

      What was the misdirect?

      Delete
    2. @anonymous…to the extent I had to choose from Jordan being a country (where I ran UAR, UAE, OPEC…no, no, no) I think that might be the misdirect. Turns out it was the obvious…NBA.

      Delete
    3. Bob Mills10:04 AM

      For Anonymous 8:19: Using "Jordan" without a first name made me think first of Israel's neighbor. I tried to remember some Middle Eastern organization it might have joined. Then it hit me.

      Delete
  4. Not being a computer nerd, internet phrases can gridlock my brain, but having them wordplay with TRAFFIC, well, that’s my jam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever idea for a theme, relating internet traffic with roadway traffic, and very well executed, as this theme uses 63 squares, which is fairly high, and makes the grid harrowing to fill cleanly, but Adrianne succeeded.

    Not to mention that every theme answer but one is a NYT answer debut, and that one – COMPUTER CRASH – is a once-before, giving the grid anything but a same-old-same-old feel.

    All of the theme answers took quite a few crosses for me to get, as the world of computer terms is not one I intersect with often, and that made much of the solve stop-and-go, to my brain’s delight.

    Adding to the rub was some vague cluing, and when I filled in the last square, I had that good feeling that comes with earning something.

    Thank you for this, Adrianne – this was a splendid outing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked this puzzle a lot more than Rex did. The phrases might be time-worn but they seem instinctive and natural to frequent computer users, with the exception of DELAY, which seemed forced. I also felt that the use of HARROW as a noun was a bit off the usual path. GROIN pulls are among the most exasperating injuries because like wrist injuries there is so little you can do to speed up healing. Otherwise a relatively easy Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HARROW is a verb here; it's only a noun when it means the farm implement. Torment can be either.

      Delete
    2. Can I plead dyslexia or something else exotic for mislabeling HARROW?

      Delete
  7. Really dull. These computer terms are part of most of our lives now, but do they have to be the crossword theme? And the tie-in to road traffic, which I didn’t even notice till I read the write-up, is equally dull.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can also get around the Spanish anus thing by going to Portuguese.

    I saw the puzzle as a little story about rush hour, reading from top to bottom. Everyone starts to DRIVE. Some idiot SPEEDS and gets into a CRASH. Everyone else faces a DELAY.

    Oh, and this was a Monday level of difficultly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey All !
    57 years ago today, a major event in history happened ...
    At 5(something) in the morning, yours truly was brought forth from the womb into this world.
    A most joyous occasion!
    Har.

    The puz? Nice Theme. INTERNET related words with TRAFFIC related words. Funny how I elided past thinking how the WWW was synonymous with Highway terminology. I'm sure it was in the ole brain the whole time, but something that hid in the peripheral and didn't just shout out "compare me!"

    There's 42 Blockers, high. Normal max is 38. The Blocker chunks usually happen with 13 letter Themers. Nature of a 15 wide grid. Total of 5 Themers/Revealer, two 11's, two 13's, a 15. Fill didn't suffer too bad. Nice job Adrianna

    Couldn't see the planet alignment this morning, as the sky is cloudy today in Las Vegas. Figures, usually the skies are clear, but we've been overcast these last few days, with occasional (very occasional) rain drops, just enough to get your car dirty. Supposed to be a Solar eclipse today, too.

    Anyway, here's hoping y'all have a great Wednesday!

    Three F's
    RooMonster
    DarrinV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday, @RooMonster! Hope you do something that "stays in Vegas" to dlebrate.

      Delete
    2. At 57 you're just getting started Roo - enjoy your next trip around the sun and many more!

      Delete
    3. Diane Joan8:54 AM

      Happy Birthday! Have a great day!

      Delete
    4. Happy birthday Roo!

      Delete
    5. Blow out the candles and make a big wish@

      Delete
    6. Hoping u'all (singular) have a great birthday! May you have as many as you want, and want as many as you have.

      Delete
    7. Happy Birthday Roo!! Have a great day! I'm still looking forward to reading your book!

      Delete
    8. @RooMonster 8:02 AM f
      ¡Feliz cumpleaΓ±os!

      Delete
    9. Happy Birthday - Enjoy your day!

      Delete
    10. Anonymous11:33 AM

      Happy Birthday!

      Delete
    11. Happy birthday, RM, I was hoping you'd have a publishing announcement but 57 is still pretty good, well done.

      Delete
  10. The first two downs, TOGA as a party wrap and ATOM as a bit of chemistry, got the puzzle off to a good start. I also liked the EYES crossing NOSE, and ERUPTS next to STORMS OUT. (I had STOmpS OUT at first, but the RUG fixed that.) I agree that the theme did not really sparkle. Some of the computer terms -- COMPUTER, for example -- are not as specific to the Internet as others.

    Anyone have cOW before SOW? I left the first letter blank.

    I like movies when my wife makes me go to one, but I don't really follow them, so until today I thought ANORA must be another Star Wars movie. Glad to learn otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *raises hand* for cOW before SOW, and I'll see your STOmpS OUT and raise you STORMS Off. (Should've remembered we already had a DANCE OFF in the grid.)

      Delete
    2. You (and everyone) should check out Anora. It’s great! Really funny, then really heartbreaking.

      Delete
  11. Definitely a rocky start to this one. It’s never a good start when one of the first thoughts you have while solving is “Nice way to clue THE” (followed by a pejorative). That was after I encountered two Spanish answers and a product placement before I even exited that tiny little NW section up top.

    That whole starting section created such a Debbie Downer atmosphere that the rest of the solving experience never really recovered, which is actually kind of a shame as I thought the theme held at least enough interest to carry the day, and the rest of the puzzle wasn’t half-bad. Unfortunately, as they say, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:38 AM

    When I, a computer illiterate, can solve this puzzle, it’s a good day.🎈🎈🎊🎊

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rachel8:43 AM

    My coffee and morning word games are my favorite part of the day before it goes immediately downhill as I climb upstairs to my office, plop down at my computer and three screens, and plug into the matrix, where I deal with Zoom delays and Google drive issues seemingly all day long. My morning word games are supposed to be a haven from all that. Today's theme was therefore almost revolting to me. I hated it. Way to make me feel like I'm already at work before I start working.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous8:44 AM

    Dreary sums it up

    ReplyDelete
  15. After GOOGLEDRIVE I thought, oh no, it's going to be computer stuff. Sure enough, and not saved, for me anyway, by the car talk.

    I for one liked OTRA and AMIGO right away but if you have another AMIGO it would be OTRO, of course. French THE was a gimme. It's not often we see TARO and ARO in the same puzz and I have yet to see ANORA, but it sounds worthwhile.

    Now GROIN strains I know something about, as when I went back to college for pre-season soccer after lazing around for two months, I was trying to win the race to avoid further wind sprints, which I did, but wound up with a double GROIN strain. This was remedied by a creative use of two ace bandages which made me feel like I was parachuting. The treatments in the whirlpool were kind of fun though.

    OK Wednesday AB, but I'm Another Boomer just not that into computers. Thanks for a medium amount of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Without ANO we wouldn't have ANORA.

    I can't decide between Poli SCI and CIS SCI. I did once fall for a girl who was incapabable of romantic attraction. People called us Beau and ARO. There does seem to be ASCENT of LUST hovering over this puzzle.

    What's with all the fuss about GROIN? I'm GROIN' some tomatoes as we speak.

    I don't know who I liked more as a player, Jordan ORNATE Thurmond.

    Nice theme idea. Sorry it didn't get a real HAI rating from @Rex, but thanks anyway, Adrianne Baik.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @egsforbreakfast 9:16 AM
      Wow, do I ever love GROIN tomatoes.

      Delete
  17. I tend to agree with Rex’s lackluster review today because early on (for some reason I couldn’t put my finger on) I was bored with the puzzle, although then (for some reason) I was engaged enough to finish it. However, as someone who does not have the bandwidth of intelligence to construct a puzzle…still a good effort, imo.
    I pretty much do NOT get all of Rex’s Google “popular phrase” talk in the review….whether SERVERcrash out-Googles SERVERDELAY does not seem relevant as they are not the same thing, also any server referred to is that particular site’s server. Likewise, with respect to NETWORKSPEED, the network is the speed of your personal WiFi transferring data to your device from the Internet, so I don’t think it’s relevant that we all tend to shorthand it to “Internet speed.” I guess that means that while I wasn’t thrilled with the theme, I thought the themers were tight and appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for Gillian and David!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Greeting from what I hope will be a sunny day in Cape May on the Jersey shore. I liked this one a LOT! I thought the theme was clever/cute and the revealer was a very nice spanner that did what a revealer is supposed to do. I didn't have any problems with the themers, I agree with @Rex that a couple stretch things a bit and are not what we usually hear, but hey, it's a puzzle, not manual.
    I was mis-directed fair and square more than once. I'm with @BobMills on the Jordan mis-direct, I thought that was very, very good. RUG as well.
    I found the whole North much tougher than what lay below. I left in some wrong answers for way too long like, *verge* instead of BRINK, that one held me up the most. But once that came to me, it was a nice whoosh as the K gave me all I needed for NETWORKSPEEDS.
    NOSE crossing with EYES was cute and @Rex pointed out some of the nice longer non-theme fill. I think they made the grid look pretty.
    I know nobody here is a fan of short fill, but the trio in the middle in the extreme East made me happy: SKI, SCI and TIK. I can't tell you why, but seeing them together made me smile.
    Thanks Adrianne, I had fun with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:28 PM

      I was more amused by A-SCENT crossing NOSE!

      Delete
  20. Lo siento, de mi parte es un no.

    A bit of a snoozer, but an innocuous snoozer. Interestingly, it's as gunky as yesterday, but doesn't feel that way. Replacing names of people and products with foreign phrases and partials doesn't seem like a great trade off, but here we are.

    STORMS OUT is maybe the high point. I've never stormed out myself because I don't know the protocol for how long to stay out after the storming, but I have seen it happen a few times and I kinda love it. It all seems like too much work overall for me, but storm away ye dramatic ones and I'll see you when you get back.

    The clue for ANORA was missing a word. It should read: 2024 film that won Best Picture, inexplicably.

    It's Lana Del Rey's second appearance recently. The only time I remember seeing her or hearing her was on her first SNL appearance and she had, shall we say, plenty of room for improvement. If I had to describe her genre it would have been: Mopey white girl. So I read up on her after her appearance in last week's puzzle because I assumed after all these years she must be doing something spectacular, and nope, a whole lot of poor me and running other more successful artists down. Gimme Star Wars Rey over emo Rey every time. She seems dreadful, but I will try to have lunch with her someday and see if the public Lana is the same as the private Lana. I hope SEAL will be on the lunch menu, right @Les S. More?

    Gunkometer--
    People: 4
    Places: 2
    Products: 6
    Partials: 9
    Foreignisms: 7
    --
    Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 28 of 76 (37%)

    Funny Factor: 1 🀨

    πŸ”₯ Ooh-la-la! πŸ”₯ GROIN. LUST.

    Uniclues:

    1 When your so called best friend abandons you in Tijuana.
    2 A dram of grog at a nuclear science themed tavern.
    3 Yeah, I wish this was a thing too.

    1 AMIGO ONE SCAM
    2 ATOM INN OUNCE
    3 GROIN STORMS OUT

    My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: This one goes by Ms. Above Your Left Ear and this one is Ms. Above Your Right Ear. HEELS LAST NAMES.

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute theme I guess, but I couldn't muster up any enthusiasm for this one. Seemed lackluster to me & disappointed in the NYT (once again) :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. I’m with the crowd here today. Dull theme. And, because I was somewhat bored, I didn’t bother to look for the tie-in to street traffic. Even though I didn’t like all the themers, I did appreciate the constructor’s effort to throw in a few bonus computer answers like CTRLC and ERRORS.

    Liked DANCE OFF and STORMS OUT and a few of the shorter answers like DREW, clued for the card game Go Fish, which I haven’t played for a hundred years. And I CARE clued as a snarky response. NOSE clue (affinity) was decent.

    GROIN injuries are no fun. At my age they take forever to heal and are very likely to reoccur. Unlike @Pablo’s (and the clue’s) example, I suffered mine while wearing skates rather than running shoes. Part of the reason I’ve retired from hockey.

    About Anora… I liked it because it was different. It’s a very odd love story. I think my wife hated it. There’s a fair amount of violence in it and she likes to hang on to the idea that people are actually good.

    Gotta go. Hospital appointment. I’ll check back in later.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Easy- medium. Mostly whooshy for me with two exceptions. HARROW did not come easily and I misspelled WESLEY (don’t ask) which took more than a few nanoseconds to rectify.

    Not much junk, a couple of fun long downs, liked it a tad more than @Rex did.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was surprised that ANORA hadn't made it into a grid previously because I know I've commented here on how much I disliked that movie and hate-quit watching it about halfway through. So what in the grid had me commenting on that movie?

    I give the constructor credit for finding so many theme answers that were both computer- and traffic-related. I agree with Rex that DELAY was the weakest link to either concept.

    I fell for the "Throw" misdirection of 45A's clue - I had RiG before RUG.

    Thanks, Adrianne Baik, for a bit of a Wednesday challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous11:24 AM

    I liked that there seemed to be a whole additional level to this puzzle in that the traffic-related terms progressed in a way that they might in real life—someone might drive, then speed, then encounter traffic, then crash, and then encounter a delay. Sort of like a story. This may not have been intentional, but for me it made the theme cute, despite all the negatives of the fill.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Agree with Rex that using SPEEDS in the plural made a dreary theme collection even worse. Put it in the singular, and at least the 4 themers work in a meaningful automotive sequence: DRIVE, SPEED, CRASH, DELAY.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Definitely agree with Rex on this one—weak fill to support a lackluster theme that is both derivative from the original creators of the "information superhighway" and no fun to see on the grid. I read the comment thread to see if @Lewis could make me more fond of it, but even his skillful defense-attorney case couldn't do it for me.

    While being annoyed with the theme, solving on my iPhone while using a coffee shop's WiFi, I thought about the irony that many of us (including Rex, including me) were likely to be put off by the internet-heavy theme while we access the puzzle and later complain about it on that same internet.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous12:46 PM

    CIS and ARO in the same puzzle, and CIS multiple times in the same week? This is getting ridiculous; enough with the woke-speak.

    ReplyDelete