Saturday, August 8, 2026

Napkin, to Brits / SAT 8-8-2026 / Giant bird of Chinese mythology that is transformed from a fish called Kun / Hard French cheese / Instrument measuring liquid density

Constructor: Kameron Austin Collins

Relative difficulty: not much harder than yesterday, and too straightforward for a Saturday


Word of the Day: SPANAKOPITA [Greek dish made with an abundance of spinach] —
I finally conquered my fear of making spanakopita, the Greek savory spinach and feta pie, and yes, this means I’m going to tell you all about it. It took me so long because, however pathetically, I find filo/phyllo, the thin dough used to produce the flaky layers in many Middle Eastern and Balkan pastries, stressful: the tissue-like sheets can dry into crumbles in what feels like seconds. Having to brush each layer with butter or oil before using it is challenging in a small kitchen, and a lot of work in any size. Over the years, I’ve auditioned many spanakopitaish pies that allowed me to hedge a bit on the phyllo — triangles (only one sheet at a time made it less scary), spirals (ditto with one sheet; this recipe is in Smitten Kitchen Every Day), galettes (using a pie-like dough), and even “skillets” where I just messily crumbled some phyllo on top. All were good. None were this. This is exact spanakopita I crave, more doable than I thought possible. [smitten kitchen]
• • •
Hey hi howdy hello, Christopher Adams here, filling in for a second time this weekend. I love me some spanakopita, but didn't really enjoy the puzzle anywhere as much; a lot of it felt like Monday clues on a Saturday puzzle. I had some hope from the byline and grid shape that this would be a meatier, crunchier solve than yesterday; it was just as straightforward, but at least some of the entries here were interesting.

In addition to SPANAKOPITA, I really loved SLEEVELESS T, especially since I started filling it in at the end of the entry, and for a hot second thought I'd gone wrong with the -SST ending before I realized how to parse it. WATERSLIDE, with an excellent clue that takes the common phrase [Slippery slope] and interprets it quite literally, was also a standout. ERIC CARLE is nice, if only for reminding me of a lovely book, and TRAGICOMIC / HYDROMETER are (imo) good examples of long, single-word entries. 

the title track from a Porridge Radio album I quite enjoy; the follow-up album to that is also well worth a listen

Unfortunately, that's about as much as I liked; as noted above, a large number of these clues were just too straightforward. Here's my top bottom five list of clues that could, and should, have been toughened up and/or felt insultingly easy:

5) EVITA PERON [Founder of Argentina's first female-led political party, familiarly] — basically "name a famous woman from Argentina", and "familiarly" tells you it's EVITA and not EVA, but at least you could learn something here
4) HOOTS [Nocturnal sounds in the woods] — at least one could think of other animals, though owls are most likely the first nocturnal animal to come to mind
3) MAGI [O. Henry's "The Gift of the ___"] — very well known story, and it's made even easier by including the author
2) BREA [La ___ Tar Pits] — another fill in the blank of a well-known name, but it beats MAGI because the answer is even more obviously restricted from the clue
1) MINARET [Tower with daily calls to prayer] — straightforward definition, no attempt at misdirection, and it points at one specific answer (compare, say, [Map lines: Abbr.]; also straightforward, but could easily also be STS). In short, this is the [Perfect example] of a clue that's too easy for this (and actually, I should probably slot EPITOME in this list somewhere).

Olio:
  • ESP [For a medium, it's easy!] — hard no on this clue; it's fakery, not easy.
  • LENS CAPS [They're taken off for boudoir photos] — they're also taken off for non-boudoir photos; I appreciate the attempt at misdirection, but it didn't really land for me.
  • SWEETY [Term of endearment, in one spelling] and OOLALA ["Fancy!"] — why the "in one spelling" for one entry and not the other? IMO, neither should have that note, and both are the inferior spellings (with SWEETIE and OOHLALA being better).
  • STEEVE [Load from the dock] — not an easy word, but not necessarily bad; inferrable if you've heard of stevedores, but if you haven't, good luck with the crosses on SERVIETTES and (especially) SERIES E (pick a random letter to end the entry lol).
  • In general I did not like the southwest corner of this grid; PENG was new to me and interesting to learn about, but RDS ESP AAH BREA GABBER weren't great, and I felt IT HELPS and BELLE AMIE were among the lesser of the long entries. EN PASSANT is nice, but the straightforward cluing drags it down a little.
Yours truly, Christopher Adams, Court Jester of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
πŸ“˜ My other blog πŸ“˜:

109 comments:

  1. This was not too difficult, except for the Unknown Names: ALFRE, ERIC CARLE, DANSKO, PENG, and COMTE. On the Known Names side, EVITA PERON helped. But a few typeovers: 30 across gimme MAGI gave me an initial M for 30 down, clued (something) "daily calls to prayer", so I shouted: MUEZZIN!... and it fit. But the crosses didn't, specially those double Zs. And then for 9 down "Corpus ___" of course I threw in DILECTI, and the last two letters were correct, so it lingered for a while.

    Yesterday I commented a lot on the wildfires and the horrible air quality. Just an hour ago, the wind shifted and our sky cleared off really nicely to reveal... a big wildfire just northwest of us. Yikes! (Moving towards our only highway to the north, and to us, naturally.) Up til now, all the smoke we've gotten has been from the USA. From one bad to a different bad, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:37 PM

      T.Rump came close, too close, to acknowledging things, i.e. the CLIMATE, have changed. He started a reply "I don't ever remember this (smoke)" then realized what that implied and started to babble "aboot" the ballroom or the reflecting pool!

      Delete
    2. @okanaganer 1:04 AM
      Good luck and stay safe. You've had a rough year.

      Delete
    3. Just read that 20,000 people have been ordered to evacuate. How close is the fire to Penticton?

      Delete
    4. Update... Summerland, the town just north of us (where I used to live) has been completely evacuated and is without power. The main highway is closed of course. To rub salt in the wound, this has cause the cancellation of all Penticton Peachfest events today (our annual civic festival), including the parade and the free Trooper concert.

      Delete
    5. Good luck! Stay safe.

      Delete
    6. @Les, Summerland is only about 10 km away from Penticton, so a north wind could be real trouble. It's population is about 12,000 but there are a lot more people in the whole evacuated area.

      Delete
  2. Easy-medium with the top half easier than the bottom.

    I did not know ERIC CARLE, DANSKO, and PENG.

    Costly erasure - fleES before RACES.

    Spelling challenges - CHRISTI, MINARET, SPANAKOPITA

    Mostly solid grid but a tad meh, liked it a wee bit more than @Chris did.

    BTW - If you are interested in doing a puzzle whose theme you are quite unlikely to have heard of even after you solve it try @Chris’s August 4 AV Club Classic crossword “Home Alone”. https://avxwords.com/avcx-puzzle-player/

    ReplyDelete

  3. @Chris: Congratulations on your culinary mastery! My toque is off to you!! I would never even attempt spanakopita. Interestingly, I find more and better spanakopita in New Jersey than I found in Greece.

    Easy-Medium. Medium in the NW, mainly because of ALFRE Woodard. Easy everywhere else.
    * * * _ _

    Overwrites:
    I wanted SEn(ate) for the 23A group of reps (SET, as in working out).
    At 35A, GET it before ME.
    PiquE(?) before PHASE for the short-lived interest at 40D.

    WOEs:
    Apparently, STREET TEAM (4D) is a thing. I'd never heard of it before.
    It took me a lot of crosses to get the British napkins SERVIETTES (13D).
    Actress ALFRE Woodard at 16A, as mentioned above.
    I'm familiar with the noun Stevedore but not the verb STEEVE (27A).
    Footwear purveyor DANSKO at 28D (I confused it with cookware purveyor DANSK).
    The French cheese COMTE (49A).
    PENG, the giant Chinese bird at 51A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob Mills6:16 AM

    I found it a bit harder than Christopher Adams did. Two cheats...didn't know DANSKO, so I needed a look-up to get SPANAKOPITA. I also looked up "andrometer" and learned it was a mistaken word for HYDROMETER. At least others have made the same error.

    Nit: The clue for GETME is in Spanish (Italian?), but "get" and "me" are English words. A fairer clue might be, Understand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:36 AM

      Same here. No 🎈for me.

      Delete
    2. The clue for GET ME is not Italian, capisce?

      Delete
    3. @Christopher XLI 10:00 AM
      We've been through a rough patch this week obstinately struggling to understand what happens when non-English words become English words.

      Delete
    4. Anonymous4:01 PM

      Dansko: Dan as in Danmark (Denmark, if you’re there); sko is shoe in Danish. And Swedish. And Norwegian, in all likelihood

      Delete
    5. Gary.
      I completely agree with you that once a word is borrowed from another language we can do what we want with it ( Commenters here should see what the French do to English). Don’t think the Spanish word comprende is an English word yet.

      Delete
  5. Upon first glimpse of the highly segmented grid and the constructor I figured this would be a ball buster - turned out I was wrong. Fun puzzle - but I had a lot of “it can’t be this” moments as I was filling it in. Chris summarizes nicely - I liked the SPANAKOPITA - HYDROMETER stack.

    Mike NESS

    I spend some time working SLEEVELESS T. Corpus CHRISTI was my parish growing up. BELLE AMIE - EN PASSANTE were flat. Not one but two full proper names - they take up too much real estate and dummy down the grid - today they were early week level difficulty. Got a good chuckle with GABBER.

    Shawn Colvin

    Easier than most late week themeless offerings especially for KAC - but an enjoyable enough Saturday morning solve. Matt Sewell’s Stumper today also presents a choppy - segmented grid and is very gettable.

    fIREHOSE

    ReplyDelete
  6. So the SW had two stacked 9-letter French phrases, one of which is from chess but not really inferrable if you don’t know chess, the other imprecisely clued. They’re crossing A LA (also French) and the weirdly clued IT HELPS which is pretty “eat a sandwich”-y.

    I typically like this constructor but some odd choices here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:58 AM

      Agree completely! I can’t even imagine simply saying “it helps” in that context. Maybe “it may help” or “it might help”…

      And I wasn’t a fan of SLEEVELESST

      Delete
    2. Christopher XLI
      Literally belle amie means beautiful friend but it has various meanings in French depending on context. Examples on line I saw include lovely lady. Probably someone searched for options and came up with that. Normally, I would say close enough for crosswords but a bit of a stretch in French!
      I think they were trying to toughen up the puzzle but this was a mistake. Ditto en passant.

      Delete
  7. Personality, humor, fresh and zingy answers, deft cluing, paucity of junkness – hallmarks of Kameron’s puzzles. They are not just fill-ins, they are rich experiences. What a gift to have this sublime and talented artist / technician / entertainer cross our paths, and to have another opus today.

    Fresh answers? Today, a third of the answers – that’s right, one out of three – have appeared in the Times 80+ years of crosswords four times or less. Wow!

    I love the brain that wasn’t satisfied to come up with a direct clue for LENS CAPS – what is almost always offered – but rather made that ordinary answer shine with [They’re taken off for boudoir photos].

    Or even just this: STENTS and “stent” have been clued more than 200 times in the major crossword outlets, but never using the misdirecting word “channel” as in today’s clue.

    Part of my fill-in was “Whee!”, and part was crunch, and all was rich, Kameron – as usual. Thank you for your gift and for another splendid outing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. – Serendipitous PuzzPair©️ of REAR END and ARSES.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous12:45 PM

      As Christopher noted, you have to take lens caps off to take ANY photos, not just boudoir photos. This wasn’t “misdirection,” just off-kilter cluing.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous 12:45 AM
      I think both you and Christopher are wrong and Lewis is right. The answer is accurate The clue doesn’t limit the answer to taking photos in a boudoir. People complain all the time but this is a standard crossword trick to play on a solvers assumptions.

      Delete
  8. 20:54 for me last night, so that's in medium territory for me. The SWEETY/BALLERS pair was tough for me. ALFRE was unknown to me, so nailing down SOFTENS (had lOosENS first) and STREETTEAM was tough. RAITA (thanks Spelling Bee) before RIATA, and spelled ENPASSeNT wrong, so had LAYMEN for a while, till I didn't get the happy music and reread the clue. All in all, my first impression was WOW, what a cool grid design!!! and at the end I felt it had been a good challenge. PENG was a total WOE. Thanks for the challenge, KAC!!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Rick Sacra, I forgot to mention that about Spelling Bee... RAITA is accepted but RIATA is not. I keep trying it, though.

      Delete
  9. Hey All !
    After SLEEVELESS_, thought for a hot second we'd have a SatPuz Rebus! Then came SERIES_, which further iterated Rebus misgivings. But, figured out that a T stood in for T-shirt, and all was right again in Crosslandia. Did have SERIESI (SERIES ONE) in first for the E.

    Had PasSE for PHASE, which messed up my Southern area. My French beauty ended up as a BELLESSIE. (Gesundheit!) Was trying to make A_DR_METER into some kind of a water thing. Silly. Had to look at completed puz here to change PasSE to PHASE, then was able to finish up.

    Nice SatPuz. Enough resistance to make puz thinkable, but not impossible. Who wants to do impossible puzs? (Maybe you Croce solvers ...)

    DANSKO is a shoe company? Sounds like they make industrial machinery, or something.

    ©Uniclue:
    Bae, in England, maybe?
    SWEETY ARSES

    Hope y'all have a great Saturday!

    Two F's
    RooMonster
    DarrinV


    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:41 AM

    IMO, a waste of a Saturday puzzle. Overall much too easy with my time being in the Tuesday range but it nevertheless contained a pure Natick with the spanaKopita/dansKo cross so I didn't even get the satisfaction of a pure ace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one had enough trouble spots to keep the difficulty level up to par, at least for a solver with my skill level. I’m assuming that when people say things like “this was Monday level easy” they are exaggerating a bit for effect (not just today, but in general as well). I would contend that we won’t see things like SERVIETTES, STEEVE, PENG, et c. on a Monday.

    Hardcore solvers may yearn for something a little more nuanced, but I would characterize today more along the lines of “on the easy side for a Saturday”. It’s probably at least worth noting that this level of difficulty is consistent with recent trends. We can speculate until the cows come home about whether that was a corporate decision in order to attract new solvers - someone needs to buy Shortz a few drinks at his annual tournament and get him to spill the beans (or is it “spill the tea” in CrossWorld ?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:08 AM

      Found this tough too….
      Steve,Eric, Alfree,street team,servettes,grabber, wow!

      don’t know French or chess….
      Saturday and a half for me……..


      Delete
    2. Anonymous12:08 PM

      Agree completely. It actually felt a bit dated to me (outside of BALLER). Having been in the archives lately I actually think it probably feels more like an old Monday rather than a modern one.

      Delete
    3. Southside Johnny
      I agree it wasn’t at all like a Monday for me either (although on the easy side as you said)

      Delete
  12. EasyEd7:55 AM

    I can recall the taste and feel of SPANAKOPITA but there was no way I could remember the name! This puzzle seemed to be a mix of very obscure clues and very literal clues interspersed with some fun colloquialisms, so a good mix for a Saturday but relatively easy if the proper names were in your wheelhouse. This was not the case for me so had a considerable struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very easy with a few bumps. All the proper names were gimmes for me, except for PENG. Also, although I’ve heard the term ‘stevedore’ many times, the word STEEVE was completely new to me. So I learned that.

    I have a bit of a beef with BELLEAMIE. If the clue ‘French beauty’ is referring to a woman who is beautiful, then I think the French phrase would be BELLEfemme. Which of course doesn’t fit, but BELLE AMIE means ‘beautiful friend’, not really the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Andy Freude8:04 AM

    Sometimes I turn too easy into too hard by overthinking. Looked at the clue for 1A, thought TOSS, then said nah, that’s too easy for a Saturday. Moved on to the next clue, thought the same thing about SARI, but went with it anyway.
    Then off to the races, until it was time to get back up to that NW corner. At that point my way in was the very dubious-looking -SST, which couldn’t possibly be right, could it? (It was.) Finally, I found the crunch a Saturday should have. So all around, a satisfying entry from the always interesting KAC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DAVinHOP8:57 AM

      @Andy, a bit of a different experience here. Looked at 1A and 1D and thought Hurl-Heats and entered both. Then 5A thought SATI but held off (too easy for a Saturday?). Errors corrected soon enough.

      A couple of (really?) spots. SLEEVELESS T (not Tee?); OO (not OOh?) LALA; SWEETY (not -ie), although that clue was qualified; and 26D, wouldn't EVITA PERON be Eva, "familiarly"? I'm likely wrong on the last one, but figured fewer letters would "familiarize" the name.

      And a few violations where "Less is more" cluing could have made this a more proper Saturday, IMO:

      39A - Greek spinach (and feta) dish. We've learned (and likely since forgotten), through NYTXW, plenty of ethnic dishes. SPANAKOPITA (exact spelling on the first try aside) is much more familiar to us. Depends on one's culinary experience and taste, I guess.

      30D - How about "Prayer tower" with oft-used misdirection for the second word. As clued, it seemed more like a Monday.

      Loved seeing ERIC CARLE. He has an eponymous literary museum in Amherst MA that's on our bucket list to visit. We both read "Caterpillar" a zillion times to our kids, so that answer was cake.

      Delete
  15. Anonymous8:20 AM

    Judging by my time, it was a decent challenge for a Saturday, but looking back, most of my struggles came from two spots.

    First off, NESTS for ARSES (because parliament of owls), "confirmed" by IRONS, which made it tough to see SPANAKOPITA (doesn't help that the most useful cross, that K, comes from a brand I didn't know).

    And then there's the NW corner, especially SLEEVELESS T, which was a parsing nightmare. I doubted AMIDST because the ending -SST didn't make sense to me, also no idea about STREET TEAM or SERVIETTES or SERIES E (?!). I did think of "stevedore" but only accepted STEEVE when all the crosses except the final E became unquestionable, because there's no double E in stevedore. And finally, HOOTS could've been HOWLS and the clue on SOFTENS isn't exactly easy (unless you know ALFRE, which I blanked on).

    This was a lot closer to what a Saturday should be compared to other recent themelesses.

    ReplyDelete
  16. For those of us not overly familiar with Greek cuisine or comfy shoe brands, that K crossing was not intuitive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:20 PM

      These aren’t guy things. Nice change from all that sports chatter.

      Delete
  17. Anonymous8:27 AM

    Not sure Mr. Adams is in sync with his audience.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have three children, born over a five-year span, so that makes at least ten years in which I read The Very Hungry Caterpillar out loud (not hard, there aren't many words) a couple times each month. Despite that, I continue to misremember the author's surname as CARnE. I got the "something amiss" notice, went over every entry, and finally gave up and hit "reveal puzzle." Gah!

    Well, that was me. As for the puzzle, I think the constructor's name is a system misdirect--I kept looking for harder clues and more esoteric trivia. There were some good clues, and there was PENG, but I hesitated to put in some entries without crosses. (I didn't hesitate over hurl/heAtS at 1-A & D, unfortunately.)

    I don't really know French, but I'm pretty sure that a BELLE AMIE is a girlfriend; all you need for "beauty" is just BELLE.

    In his constructor's notes, KAC says he started to make simpler clues because people complained that his were too hard, but now people are complaining about the simplicity, so he's going to switch back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:29 AM

      Same experience with children, now grandchildren, and still can't remember the guy's last name! Have seen his name in xwords a few dozen times, but always for answer ERIC, till now . Apologies to a great kids author!
      Agree surprisingly easy for Austin, only flub was in NW where I started with HURL/HEATS for 1A/D; the rest went quickly

      Delete
    2. Might you be thinking of Art Carney? He was often Very Hungry when visiting the Kramdens.

      Delete
    3. Eniale3:54 PM

      Ah me, this was the first KAC puzzle I finished - I guess there'll never be another! Never, never, never, never, never....

      Delete
    4. I have a toddler now, and this is my second time around reading TVHC to one of my kids, in both English and German. So I was grateful for this clue.

      Delete
  19. There was a very short seer who was involved in a scam operation. She was arrested but managed to escape. The APB read "Small Medium at Large".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of budgetary problems, the police in our town can only issue some-points bulletins.

      Delete
    2. Yes, and there was once a king who recruited a troupe of small-statured gymnasts to entertain the Court with their tumbling routines. From this we derive the term, "Selected Short Subjects."

      Delete
  20. Looked at the constructor's name and thought "oh oh", as I'm used to seeing his work in the Monday New Yorker (the hard one) and it's usually full of pop culture references that I've never heard of. Not today though, as the cluing was unusually straightforward.

    Glad I know some French--hello ENPASSANT, BELLEAMIE, and SERVIETTE. The name ALFRE looked weird but had to be right, same for DANSKO. We have some DANSK stuff that we got as newlyweds a long time ago, but no DANSKO anything. Knew ERICCARLE from grandchildren. Some almost-obscure stuff like MINARET and SPANAKOPITA were satisfying to plop in.

    My favorite entry today has to be PENG, because it's such a totally crossword word with such a totally old-fashioned crossword clue that you can read but offers no help whatsoever. Memories of crosswords past.

    Some good stuff but a little too whooshy for a Saturday, KAC. More Known And Common answers than usual from you, but a lot of fun anyway, for which thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:12 PM

      I’m guessing I’m one of the few who knew PENG right away, because it’s the opening story in the Zhuangzi, which is my all time favourite book of philosophy. Give it a shot if you haven’t!

      I also enjoyed this one. Always like it when it starts tough and then just seems to fall into place the more toe holds you find.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2:25 PM

      For you easy. For me difficult.

      Delete
  21. This is going to be brief as I promised a ship captain friend of mine that I would STEEVE a door onto his ship to replace one that got damaged.

    I was happy to see RIATA today. I've tried it around 8647 times in Spelling Bee to no avail. I was beginning to think I had forgotten how it's spelled or something.

    I spent a few nanoseconds wondering why waffles are HEMAN cHoW. Figured it must be some new RFK wackiness.

    I got one of those hats that will accommodate pointy ears from that company founded by Mr. Spock -- LENSCAPS.

    We were doing a yoga chant when an earthquake struck and the building collapsed. Some called it a TRAGICOMIC event.

    I'm pro-RUST, but I can see the point of the ANTIRUST crowd. I don't think we should be letting it tear us apart.

    Not really a Saturday difficulty puzzle, but I found it a lot more interesting and fun than The Court Jester of Crossworld did. Thanks, Kameron Austin Collins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob Mills9:02 AM


      In re: RIATA. I've clicked on "suggest a word" several times and recommended it. Can't understand why it's not a word. It is.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the laffs, Egs!

      Delete
    3. Same here for RIATA "La riata" is where we get "lariat" from.

      Delete
    4. Anonymous12:38 PM

      I'm guessing that the ship's original door got stove in.

      Delete
  22. Probably at lot easier if you knew all the propers and done a little steeving here and there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sutsy. I've never steeved but I did do a fair bit of drinking with stevedores at one time in my life. I was working as a swamper for a cartage company that did a lot of work on the docks in Vancouver. On Fridays when we would pick up our paycheques, my boss/driver would ask, "Wanna go for a beer at the stevedores' bar?" Of course, I did. I was all of 16 and looked the part but when I placed my cheque on the bar I received a small pile of cash and a pint of lager. No ID requested. (I should note that the pub was owned by the trucking company I worked for. Very convenient.) And then I would sit and bullshit with dock workers for an hour or so. No one ever used STEEVE as a verb, as far as I can recall.

      Delete
  23. The Eric Carle Museum is worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous9:02 AM

    Enjoyed the puzzle, Kameron. As an older solver, it’s fun to discover how random life experiences can suddenly prove useful, puzzle-wise. Decades ago I taught English at a university in China. The tallest student in my classes was named Chen Dapeng, which his classmates thought was funny because it translates as “Chen Big Bird,” specifically the bird identified in the clue for 51A today. Wherever you are now, Chen Dapeng, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous9:02 AM

    Well-constructed overall, but a little too much try hard at times. Street team and sleeveless t, for example. Fun solve though.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I resisted the urge to go to the Google for a couple of the clues (Woodard, the Hungry Caterpillar, Mongibello), and plugged through it. And completed it all, 100%. A small victory, especially for a Saturday. Although not a particularly difficult Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous9:16 AM

    The sleeves are what makes a T-shaped shirt a T- shirt. A "sleeveless tshirt" does not exist, but would be called a tank top, a wife beater, a muscle shirt, a strappy top (as a description, not a designation), a camisole, a basketball shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:10 PM

      I wholeheartedly agree. That stood out to me as a very clunky/forced answer in a grid that was otherwise quite polished. A sleeveless tee is a tank top. Also, if you shorten t-shirt to “tee” it’s usually spelled like that—tee—and not shortened to the letter T.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous1:57 PM

      Except every top you listed is a different shape - also called an A-Shirt - that a sleeveless tee, which fully covers the shoulders but not the arms.

      Delete
    3. @Anonymous 9:16 AM
      For a moment you had me convinced, but a quick Go-ogle search proves you're mistaken. It's definitely a thing. Wider shoulders than a tank.

      Delete
  28. Anonymous9:28 AM

    DANSKO? what the heck?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Never knew stevedores STEEVEd things onto ships. Never heard of a SERIESE bond. However, I have heard of boudoir photos and I've gotta say, as a professional photographer since 2004, I've never had lens caps on any of my lenses. Do they still make lens caps?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous10:01 AM

    Dansko was an iconic shoe brand when I was young and living in NYC, so that was easy for me (but I'm old).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:05 PM

      Still an iconic shoe brand often worn by nurses, teachers and ballet dancers.

      Delete
  31. I'm giving it an "Easy," with the qualifier "for a Kameron Austin Collins puzzle,". My only real trouble spot was the NW, where I started out with "hurl" x "heat" instead of TOSS x THAW - it didn't help that I confirmed "heat" with the misspelled ALFiE Woodard. After erasing the 1A x 1D corner, I saw WATER SLIDE and was able to finish. I liked the HELLUVA LAYMAN column, both for the way the two entries were clued and for the phrase they make.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous10:31 AM

    This puzzle didn’t put up much of a fight for me, except in the SW corner, but I still had a lot of fun solving it and was pleased by a lot of the long answers. Loved seeing Eric Carle in the puzzle, and I was also a fan of EN PASSANT, SPANAKOPITA (a bit surprised to read the comments and see that this is an obscure food for many, I thought this was clued too easily and a gimme). Loved the cluing for WATER SLIDE and LENS CAPS (the misdirect got me for this one, which may be why I found it more fun). I have never heard of a HYDROMETER and even though I speak French nearly fluently, the BELLE AMIE answer escaped me until I had it mostly filled with crosses. “Beauty” is not really the crucial meaning of that phrase and it’s more like a dear or beloved friend than a literally beautiful one. That was one of my hang ups in the SW. I also had “have one” and “it’s easy” before IT HELPS. Without those filled in, it was very hard to figure out GABBER and RDS given the broadly applicable clues. I also for some reason really thought the shoe brand was SANSKA and not DANSKO, which hung me up until I thought of UC DAVIS and felt silly it hadn’t clicked sooner. I ended up with an easy-medium finish time for me in the 13.5 minute range but I tend to agree it was a bit too easy for a Saturday. Last point: was I the only one bothered by SLEEVELESST? I’m used to seeing “tee” and not just the letter T and it made me think we were going to have a theme with letters that were homophones for words, e.g. “private I” or “princess and the p.” Either that or a rebus or across answers that spill over into the downs. I was a bit disappointed to realize it was just “sleeveless T” but maybe this is a me thing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Once I changed my Hurl/Heats entries for 1A/1D to TOSS/THAW, things went more smoothly and puzzle was quite whooshy. I had File (in) instead of Pile (in), which gave me DAF instead of DAP. And it did take me a while to solve the bottom middle, with the BELLEAMIE/ENPASSANT/PHASE/:AYMAN/PENG entries, but I was able to work it out. Not an unsatisfying Saturday puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Para un adivino, es fΓ‘cil.

    Kind of a train wreck I couldn't stop staring at. Average time so kinda tough overall. ALFRE, ERIC CARLE, GABBER, and whatever the heck STEEVE is were ridiculous. I see now STEEVE is archaic. The clue for HELLUVA should be a partial. PENG and COMTE were new to me. And just look at SERIESE and ask if anyone is eager to have that in a word list, or a misspelled SWEETY or OOLALA?

    Plenty of nits, but plenty of sparkle. SLEEVELESST is probably the silliest moment and HENANDHAW was my favorite. Making only a one-letter spelling error on SPANAKOPITA was the highlight of the solve.

    I'm starting to think the NYTXW isn't a venue for Christopher Adams.

    Sorry we can't bury the SARI controversy under the lawn with LON.

    I wear DANSKOS to work. They're not exactly comfortable, but I get through the day on my feet without my back hurting.

    And thank you to @dgd and @DAVinHOP (and many others) for the OLIVE discussion yesterday. Never knew anything about her. And she sounds like a reindeer heading for a comeuppance. I would think she would already have a feature film deal. A black-and-white NOIR filmed by one of the directors πŸ¦– likes with a seedy bar with a neon sign, women chain smoking in messy apartments, and the catch phrase, "In a world where you make fun of one red nose..." {cue EERIE music, sound of lonely clomping hooves on cobblestones in an urban alley} "the other reindeer...."

    People: 3
    Places: 4
    Products: 5
    Partials: 3
    Foreignisms: 4
    --
    Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 19 of 62 (31%)

    Funny Factor: 2 πŸ˜•

    πŸ”₯ Ooh-la-la! πŸ”₯ REAR END. ARSE. OOLALA (misspelled). Boudoir photos.

    Uniclues:

    1 Where wet people get concussions.
    2 YouTube broadcasters.
    3 How my YSL shirt stays looking sharp.
    4 Expert lover.
    5 Singular and plural reasons the admins would axe today's uniclues.

    1 WATER SLIDE PILE
    2 SLEEVELESS T SET
    3 BELLE AMIE IRONS
    4 HELLUVA LAY MAN
    5 OO-LA-LA REAR END / SWEETY ARSES

    My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Okay, the girls will go first, and then, that's it. Everyone else go home. UNDIE RUN'S ORDER.

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    ReplyDelete
  35. My solve was going so smoothly until the NE. I didn't know the author of "The Very Hungry Caterpillar", the term for big spenders or what Key and Peele kept saying in their Obama sketch. I guessed ERIC CARnE, or perhaps it was CARrE. So big spenders were BAnkERS or BAngers. (BArbERS?) Bah.

    I finally looked up the author and got to PILE (in). I hate doing that on a Saturday, especially one that filled in so nicely otherwise. On to the Stumper to see if I can conquer that or if I'm just slated to feel humiliated all day today :-).

    KAC, nice puzzle, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I dunno if I've ever come across the extra-e STEEVE before. Stevedore, sure. So a stevedore steeves? Did a stevedore steeved as well? Can they be steeving?

    Anyway, this Steve approves of a STEEVE answer, though I have questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does Stevedore Stephanie, or did he just tell Lorelei? And why am I Kraken jokes like this?

      Delete
  37. Anonymous11:22 AM

    The “T” in “SleevelessT” is a no. Also, WTF is a DANSKO? Otherwise, decent puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hard for me. The constructor has nine clues like "Court name" at 19D (SERENA). Hundreds of entries fit it. So you have to try to get the correct one from the crosses. I needed to cheat on ERICCARLE to solve. His book came out after I raised my kids.

    I was in grade school during WW2. We would fill books with war stamps we would buy in class. When the book was full, we had paid $18.75
    and we would get a war bond (SERIESE) which would mature in ten years to be worth $25.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I make Armenian boereg, similar to spanakopita, with phyllo. I live in MN and here it is hard to find good phyllo. Good phyllo should not crumble. Keep looking for better, fresher, dough. Most Greek and Armenian stores will have good phyllo dough. Here I always buy extra boxes with the understanding that some will be subpar.

    ReplyDelete
  40. MetroGnome11:38 AM

    "Easy"?? SPANKOPITA/DANSKO? ALFRE? ERIC CARLE? COMTE? DAP (Yes, I know the word, but I didn't see the movie/TV show/whatever it was)? PENG?. Y'gotta be kiddin' me . . .

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous11:39 AM

    Today’s puzzle was a chore, albeit a mercifully quick one. I’ve been working my way back through the NYT archives and this feels very mid-2000s. ETNA, La BREA, HELLUVA…older crosswordese and too easy for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Enjoyable SatPuz-esque mix of no-knows, sneaky clues, and a few gimmes [thankfully]. They mighta gone slightly overboard, at our house, on that SPANAKOPITA/DANSKO/DAVIS Nat-tick challenge.
    PENG was alarminly PEWIT-like, btw.

    staff weeject pick: DAP. Toughest, since I had quite limited knowledge of what its clue was talkin about. And it was crossed up by no-know ERICCARLE.

    Really wide-open puzgrid, with a mere 62 words, so it generated lotsa interestin fillins, includin: The SERIESE & SLEEVELESST ET-twins. HELLUVA. WATERSLIDE & clue. LENSCAPS clue. ENPASSANT pawn move. HEMANDHAW. ANTIRUST [was ANTITRUST, but that there summertime top needed the T]. SERENA & her clue. Jaws of Themelessness, with their tongues stickin out.

    Thanx for the feisty fun, Mr. Collins dude. Nice nanosecond baller.

    Masked & Anonymo1U [s]

    p.s.
    Runt puzzle:
    **gruntz**

    M&A

    p.p.s.s.
    @RP's extended absence has made M&A kinda jealous. I will therefore be outta here for a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Masked and Anonymous 11:46 AM
      A few WEEKS??! Who approved that? I'm highly against this.

      Delete
    2. @Masked and Anonymous, that's two highly against. We will miss U!

      Delete
  43. I still think a SPANKOPEDIA should be an instruction manual for S&M practitioners.

    ReplyDelete
  44. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Anonymous12:11 PM

    Impressive number of doubled letter words

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anonymous12:13 PM

    Eric Carle Museum in Amherst MA is a delightful place to visit. Strongly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  47. EPITOME: Enormous instruction booklet that accompanies epi pens.

    My poor friend, a gourmet, passed away recently when his epi pen jammed. His epitaph noted he was the EPITOME of epicures.

    Apart from the Bible, us folks in Jersey worry about the second coming of Chris CHRISTIe.


    ReplyDelete
  48. Difficult solve. I had a dnf because I guessed C for the crossing of SPANAKOPITA and DANSKO.

    My theory on this puzzle is the constructor came up with the SW half first as it has a much more colorful mixture of letters. That NW half leans far too heavily on the letters A, E, N, R, S and T. Gives it a very watered down repetitious look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puzzlehoarder
      FWIW. . spanakopita
      I couldn’t remember the word either That was my last letter but I knew Greek. has no c in its alphabet. That might come in handy in a future puzzle

      Delete
  49. Anonymous12:53 PM

    Agree with regards to the easy clueing. 15 minutes is too fast for Saturday. I knew Stevedore thanks to season 2 of The Wire so that helped with STEEVE.

    I also knew SERVIETTES thanks to Death Road to Canada. At the end of the game, the Mounties that help you destroy the zombies all say stereotypical Canadian phrases. One Mountie offers you a SERVIETTE to wipe all of the zombie gunk off.

    Hardest part was spelling SPANAKOPITA, it used to be on the menu at the restaurant where I worked and I would always shorten it to "spank" in my notebook. My first attempt at spelling it today looked something akin to SPANKAPEDIA which sounds like a good name for a dirty reference site...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a strange way to get to SERVIETTE. I grew up with it and have had to train myself to request a napkin south of the border.

      Delete
  50. I knew Spanakopita thanks to an episode of The Venture Brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Not the toughest Saturday, which is surprising because the constructor’s work in The New Yorker usually includes at least one 15 letter Nigerian actor, filmmaker, or author. But apparently he’s simplified his style for the NYTXW. I’ll take that every once in a while.

    Still some good stuff in here. Some gimmes like SERVIETTE, ERIC CARLE, and SPANAKOPITA, and a lot of stuff I had to work for. You know, a couple or more crosses before it would click. Like BELLE AMIE, EN PASSANT, both of which are familiar to me; I just needed a push.

    SLEEVELESS T was fun because, like our host and a few commenters, I backed into it and could not imagine a word ending in SST. Then I remembered when my 3 sons, in their “gym rat” phases, would cut the arms off perfectly good tees in order to display their “guns”.

    Finally, [They’re taken off for boudoir photos] is a fine clue for a simple answer. I got into art school over 50 years ago as a photography student. I soon switched my focus to painting but I still go out with my DSLR and produce some decent images. I was focusing too much on the word boudoir which is, (obvious to me now), what KAC intended. Doffed items of clothing. Brilliant, I thought.

    BTW, like an earlier commenter, I haven’t employed LENS CAPS in years. If I’m going out into a situation where I might damage a lens (deep, thick forest, for instance) I will screw on an inexpensive polarizing filter. Scratch it up and it’s usually less than a hundred bucks to replace. Scratch your lens and be prepared to take out a loan.

    A pleasant Saturday romp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:25 PM

      Pardon me, but nonsense.
      No lense filter approaches $50 let alone a hundred.
      Guessing your images are all that decent either if they’re judged by disinterested parties.

      Delete
    2. @Les, with my old film SLR I had a dirt cheap clear filter... I think it was possibly a UV or haze filter? Maybe 5 bucks back in the early 1980s.

      Delete
    3. Well, I'm pretty sure that the CPL I have on my camera cost me over 50 bucks when I bought 10 or 15 years ago. I just assumed that prices had risen since then. I've just checked sources on the web and they run from 15 bucks (unbranded, which would be fine for what I'm using them for) up to 120 bucks for Nikon branded ones. So I may have misjudged the prices, but the theory still holds.

      Delete
  52. I washed out on the Forbes competitor and DAP?? crossing the caterpillar book author. The CA - I went through the alphabet but with two unknowns I decided to call it a loss. The rest of the puzzle wasn’t a gimme - parsing the SLEEVELESS T without the ee threw me, but I knew DANSKO and SPANAKOPITA. I liked IT’LL HELP when I finally saw it, but it took awhile. Unfortunately I agree with Chris, the cluing could have been more challenging - in spite of my failure.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Anonymous3:11 PM

    In the NYT "Replica Edition", 1A, 14A, 2D, 6D and 43D are underlined. Weird. So I found myself possibly looking at a themed puzzle on a themeless day. The theme being TOSS HEM AND HAW OOLALA AMIDST ALA.

    For that and many other reasons, I had no fun at all with this. Too many complete unknowns, incorrect cluing and SLEEVELESS T. GET ME?

    ReplyDelete
  54. Anonymous4:08 PM

    I’m with Lewis on this one - loved this puzzle, not easy for me though. Pleased that I only had to look up to confirm CBS, and enjoyed watching the Key and Peele sketch. However it still took a while to get DAP after man and fam.
    TIL STEEVE, PENG, COMTE, DANSKO, and Mongibello which sounds wonderfully Siciliano to me.
    For those who don’t know re SERVIETTES: nappies means diapers to Brits so “napkins”always give pause.

    ReplyDelete
  55. When I got to 45A "French beauty" I confidently filled in BELLE DAME. I still like that better than BELLE AMIE.

    Bought my first Nikon F in Hong Kong in 1967. Still have it though these days I've gone digital. In addition to using screw-in UV filters, I find that IT HELPS prevent LENS dust and smudges by always keeping LENS CAPS in place.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Unlike yesterday, Christopher and I are on the same page today. I liked what he liked and was a bit neutral on the rest. Some entries and cluing indeed seemed to be a bit on the early-week side but there were many more unknowns to me. I just wasn't terribly thrilled to learn about them. A Hugh thing, not a puzzle thing.
    I'm not sure if I should be embarrassed, but SPANAKOPITA is not in my sphere of knowledge. Same with SERIESE and STEEVE, I ran through the alphabet for those two but thankfully it took just 5 tries. I had several others that Christopher already pointed out but all in all, I think I enjoyed the solve more than he did.
    While this one didn't really sparkle and pop for me, I had some fun. I'm wondering if I should now go GETME some SPANAKOPITA!
    Thanks Kameron!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Anonymous10:16 PM

    I’m not sure that KUN and PENG are from Chinese *mythology* so much as from Chinese *philosophy*: the transformation of the latter into the firmer opens the Zhuangzi, by the great Daoist philosopher of the same name.

    ReplyDelete
  58. glassjonespiano2:55 AM

    hope everyone is okay in fire afflicted areas my heart goes out to you. my take on this puzzle might be called 'contrarian' but I can't help loving so many of the answers to the clues - blissfully free of 3 letter words nobody uses as well. this isn't the toughest puzzle but it's no insult to anyone's intelligence - so many of us are wishing for a woman to be in power men have not exactly shown themselves to be brilliant at keeping the Peace. Evita Peron wanted good things for her people. Crossword puzzles are about the deeper meaning not just the answer - that's what makes sword solving different than Jeopardy for instance - have a great weekend Erik's Asgard's Sunday is a goodie.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Anonymous7:43 AM

    Complete waste of time. So poorly done. How about clues for English words? Jeez.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Anonymous4:04 PM

    Gabber. I didn't get it.

    ReplyDelete