Monday, August 3, 2026

Device used in a lactation room / MON 8-3-26 / Speak at the top of one's lungs / Throw with force / Phase in which users help catch bugs / Ninja's quality / Toddler's wheels / Cosmic cloud / Rewards for excellent employees / Pavlov known for canine experiments

Constructor: Willa Angel Chen Miller   

Relative difficulty: Medium

THEME: Chilling — Three things that can be said to be "chilling" -- each with a different meaning of the word

Word of the Day: CROCHET (24A: Needle-working craft) —
Crochet (English: /krˈʃ/;[1] French: [kʁɔʃɛ][2]) is a process of creating textiles by using a crochet hook to interlock loops of yarn, thread, or strands of other materials.[3] The name is derived from the French term crochet, which means 'hook'.[4] Hooks can be made from different materials (aluminum, steel, metal, wood, bamboo, bone, etc.), sizes, and types (in-line, tapered, ergonomic, etc.). The key difference between crochet and knitting, beyond the implements used for their production, is that each stitch in crochet is completed before the next one, while knitting keeps many stitches open at a time. Some variant forms of crochet however, such as Tunisian crochet and Broomstick lace, do keep multiple crochet stitches open at a time.
• • •

Theme answers:
  • BEACH BUM (20A:  Idler along the seashore)
  • ICE CREAM MAKER (26A: Kitchen appliance for desserts)
  • TRUE CRIME SHOW (42A: Series that may feature forensics experts)
  • CHILLING (50A: Adjective describing 20-, 26- and 42-Across)
Yes, the rumors were true! Rafa is back for yet another Rexplacement blog! Sadly this is actually the last one for me, and I will miss you all dearly, but I'm sure tomorrow's Rexplacement will be just as (if not more) lovely, so worry not.

I usually blog the harder late-week puzzles around here, so I don't have much experience talking about easy Monday crosswords, but I'll do my best. This was my favorite of the run of three puzzles I blogged here, so that will help! The theme is simple but it works. I would have liked it if the revealer were a bit more fun. Something like I'M CHILLING clued as [What each of the starred answers might say] or something similar. The first-person elevates the theme into something more playful, but this works fine too. I did find it weird that CHILLING was clued as [Adjective describing ...] since in the BEACH BUM context in particular I'd use that word as a gerund verb instead of an adjective. But that's me being pedantic I guess. It was fun that the three meanings of the word were totally distinct, and that the chosen answers captured those meanings quite well.
Some BEACH BUMs
The theme entries almost seem like an ideal vacation, really. Go be a BEACH BUM for a few hours and soak up the sun, then head home to make a treat with the ICE CREAM MAKER before getting cozy on the couch with a TRUE CRIME SHOW. Sign me up!
An ICE CREAM MAKER
To me, the most important part of a Monday puzzle is having accessible fill. This could be someone's first-ever crossword puzzle, and it would do them a huge disservice to scare them away with arcane entries and crosswordese. This puzzle does a great job with that. Every answer feels like a real thing I've seen plenty outside of crosswords. There are fewer theme squares than usual here, so it gives the grid breathing room to be as smooth as possible.
"Making A Murderer" is a popular TRUE CRIME SHOW
I was really impressed with [Surgery that leaves the patient looking better?] as a clue for LASIK. It's hard to land clever wordplay clues that are still Monday-level accessible and this one does a great job adding some pizzazz to the puzzle without pushing it into challenging territory. [Slowpoke in a "mobile home"] was also a fun, if a little on the trickier side, clue for SNAIL.

Bullets:
  • BUGLE (41A: Instrument on which reveille is played) — Had never heard of of reveille!
  • IAMB (26D: First two syllables of "I am what I am," aptly) — Really enjoyed this playful clue
  • POKE (22D: Hawaiian seafood dish) — I somewhat recently found a new poke place nearby and it's soooo good!
  • NERO (52D: Roman emperor who competed in the Olympics (and "won" every event he was in) — Another cool clue that elevates a common piece of fill. Turns out that NERO was stripped of all his Olympic "wins" (turns out judges awarded him a win even though he fell off his chariot and didn't finish his race?!) and said judges faced penalties.
Signed, Rafa

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

25 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:01 AM

    My first fully cheat free downs only! Whee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the fastest D-O Monday I’ve ever done and I was somewhat disabled. I spent most of my afternoon shopping for a family dinner menu that hadn’t actually been decided. My wife, who is very ill, had suggested halibut but I knew my sons were not big fans so I managed to score some really nice cod filets and a dozen jumbo scallops (a three grocery store trip followed by a trip to the wine store). Also a bunch of fresh local corn. And we cut a bunch of artichokes from our garden. Dumped all this out on the counter in front of our second son, a chef by trade, and asked, “What can you do with this? Your brother and I will do prep.” Worked out fabulously but, boy, am I bagged. The toughest part? (Besides the seeming hours of chopping and dicing.) Cleaning up after a professional chef who’s used to having “help”, i.e., slaves to clean up his mess. (Yes, we do say “Yes chef” but only in a decidedly sarcastic manner.)

    So a very successful dinner and a very tired solver and yet I managed to run right through this without consulting the across clues. Sometimes it just works. I just threw in the first thing I thought of for each down clue and hoped it worked. And mostly it did. Wheelhouse thing? Probably. Whatever, I enjoyed it.

    Thanks, WAC Miller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Medium seems right @Rafa.

    No WOEs

    Costly erasure - I tried to make HUckstER fit where HUSTLER was supposed to go…nanoseconds were lost.

    Junk free, cute theme with some fun theme answers, liked it a bunch!

    Croce Solvers - Croce’s Freestyle #1135 was an easy Croce for me. The SW gave me the most trouble. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob Mills5:17 AM

    Good puzzle, good review by Rafa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My five favorite original clues from last week
    (in order of appearance):

    1. Go for gold? (3)
    2. Biblical second coming? (3)
    3. Bugling game (3)
    4. Result of bad service, maybe (2)(3)
    5. Old yeller? (6)


    TAN
    EVE
    ELK
    AD OUT
    CODGER

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite encore clues from last week:

      [Things taken on a walk?] (5)
      [Precipitous?] (5)


      STEPS
      RAINY

      Delete
  6. Cute early week grid - the revealer is a bit of an afterthought but it works fine. All three themers are splashy and fun.

    The Bear and MAIDEN Fair

    Liked the overall fill - Rafa highlights most of it. ABASE, IM HOME and RUN THROUGH are top notch. My wife tells me that there are no needles in CROCHET. The MILNE - bear combo is neat.

    Enjoyable Monday morning solve.

    TEDDY Bears’ Picnic

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:12 AM

    Fastest ever downs only. Extremely easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, this was easy to fill in, but it was anything but a throwaway.

    Mondays rarely have clues that are not direct, yet I marked three today as terrific indirect clues, those for SNAIL, LASIK, and especially [“I am what I am,” aptly], for IAMB.

    I have a fondness for words ending in MB, and there's IAMB right under COMB in column one. It got me thinking about the origin of MB-enders, and I found out that the B used to be pronounced, but by the year 1300, people stopped saying it.

    Then NEBULA reminded me that I also have a fondness for words ending in ULA, such as SCAPULA, SPATULA, ARUGULA, and the most fabulous INCUNABULA!

    Furthermore, I liked the apt abutting of BLOOD and CHILLING, not to mention the apt cross of HURL and FLEW.

    Willa, your first four Times puzzles were Fridays, and today you branched out to the other end of the week, and showed your range. Brava! This was a standout Monday, and I had a great time with it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. EasyEd7:02 AM

    This one went down smoothly with a vocabulary a cut above the usual Monday fare. Two of the themers were fairly straightforward examples of chilling, while the third required some metaphorical interpretation, but each was clearly different. Thanks @Lewis for the history behind the MB combination. Now I’m off to find out what INCUNABULA means!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This seemed a touch more difficult than typical Mondays, but in a good way. Rafa pointed out a couple of neat clues as well. I think the theme was a little disjointed, although the reveal, while not creating any hijinks, did tie it together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:15 AM

    Two clue errors, one was pointed out: crochet hook, not needle (24A). And midi is a length, not a size. (17A)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wondered about those CROCHET needles while solving -- been decades since I've crocheted, and I couldn't really remember how to do it--so nice to see my doubts confirmed by Rafa and Son Volt. A minor quibble, when everything else was so smooth it seemed almost trite. Although cluing BAE as "Snookums" was incongruous, in a good way.

    The KAMA SUTRA run has come to an end, but TATER is making an attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7:27 AM

    @Rafa, if this is the first time you've seen reveille, I recommend you look up how it's pronounced. Thanks for the reviews the past few days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous7:37 AM

    Dang. 4:15 today. Personal best for a Monday. Puzzle basically filled itself in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous7:40 AM

    Missing a ) from the Nero clue/bullet point.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey All !
    Easy peasy. Only hold up was at the end, when I had _____ROUGH, and after getting top half, said, "What is RUNTH ROUGH?" Har. The ole brain clicked into it being RUN THROUGH.

    A BEACH BUM is CHILLING while being warm. An oxymoronic Themer, there.

    Nice fill, some fun clues. Thanks for the puz, ye constructor of Many Names.

    Hope y'all have a great Monday!

    One F
    RooMonster
    DarrinV

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous7:51 AM

    An easy, enjoyable Monday puzzle.🎈🎈🎊🎊

    ReplyDelete
  18. El mejor papá del mundo.

    Um, well, this isn't really a puzzle is it? It's a fill in the blank-er. What's beyond Monday-ly easy? Maybe airplane magazine-ly easy?

    And is that a theme? Dunno. Add a diaper pail, a lactation PUMP, and a thorough explanation of what a teddy bear is and maybe you question if this is NYTXW material.

    The "Ancient Peruvian" INCA Empire began 200 years after Westminster abbey was built and nobody would call it "ancient." Sometimes colonialism is on repeat in the cluing department.

    That SNAIL joke is killer. Add that to OOZING like slime and I'm a fan of the author.

    The only correct size is mini.

    MALT whiskey, MALT liquor, vanilla MALT. The time line of my addictions.

    My grandmother taught me how to CROCHET. That's a pleasant memory. In the not-so-pleasant category, I was expected to play taps on a BUGLE in elementary at outdoor lab and as the perennial third chair 6th-grade trumpeter I'm sure you can imagine how well that went.

    We had horses growing up, but I didn't become a cowboy. I love horses, but I think I read too many books about outer space.

    Figures that are measured in Acre might be Brazilian inseams.

    It's "I yam what I yam," and still aptly an IAMB.

    COSTS are charges, but they're not necessarily paid.

    I am just now learning Maine is a potato place. Boy, they've ridden that lobster thing in my mind forever and now I discover the spuds. Shocking. NERO competing in a fake Olympics was also news and reminds me of our current NERO wannabe.

    We have an ICE CREAM MAKER that attaches to our Kitchen Aide. In the summer we make peach ice cream, and around the holidays we make eggnog ice cream. This is how I know there is a God.

    Mosquitoes cause West Nile illness and death out here. It's slightly more of a problem than an ITCH.

    People: 8
    Places: 1
    Products: 3
    Partials: 4
    Foreignisms: 2
    --
    Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 18 of 76 (24%)

    Funny Factor: 3 😐

    Tee-Hee: Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater. HUSTLERS (remember those?).

    Uniclues:

    1 How they start a fiber arts tournament.
    2 When they promise the less expensive method is just as effective at improving your vision and then break out a chainsaw.
    3 Kindergartener preps his ride for offroading.
    4 Hawaiian alternative to the taco place.

    1 YELL CROCHET
    2 CHILLING LASIK (~)
    3 RAISES TRICYCLE (~)
    4 POKE BELL

    My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Where to access experts on how to be more perky and uplifted in the morning. DIAL BRA PANEL.

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever you put in your coffee today, keep using it. Hysterical. But the fiber arts tourneys I've attended all began with "Gentlemen. Start your needles."

      Delete
  19. Great write up, Rafa. I think you got it spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I recently went to the liquidation sale for an estate where they were serving some of the vast collection of IPAs that were for sale. Sadly, I drank too much of the ESTATESALE at the ESTATESALE and don't remember much.

    One thing our Nero-like orange moron has made clear is that TRUECRIMESHOW to get rich.

    For a baseball player, getting on ABASE is APART of AGAME.

    I'm not saying this was easy, but I did it without looking at any of the clues. Still, a nice theme that sent chills up my spine. Thanks, Willa Angel Chen Miller.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am enjoying Downs Only (never fully enough) then zip through Across Only. Makes Mondays and Tuesdays fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. One of my fastest Mondays ever, and yet one of the most fun, with lots of good fill, a cute theme, and some clever, easy misdirects. Great job, Willa Angel Chen Miller! Nice way to start off the week.
    It's true that crocheting uses a needle, but I think that many still categorize it as a form of needlework.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good to see you again, Rafa :)
    Pretty easy Monday except that I had Laser for LASIK. Thank you, Willa :)

    ReplyDelete