Awards in the ad biz / MON 3-6-17 / Panache / __ Harbour, Fla. / Inlets / Lee who directed "Life of Pi"
Monday, March 6, 2017
Did you know that March is National Celery Month? And today is the first Monday in it? And that celery is kind of gross but it has a good texture? Anyway, it's me, Annabel!
Constructor: SUSAN GELFAND
Relative difficulty: EASY-MEDIUM
THEME: OUTERWEAR — Theme clues were puns on professions and outerwear.
Word of the Day: ASP (55A: Nile viper) —
• • •
- CITY SLICKER (17A: Article of outerwear for an urbanite?)
- BUBBLE WRAP (23A: Article of outerwear for a champagne drinker?)
- SUGAR COAT (33A: Article of outerwear for a candy lover?)
- DUST JACKET (48A: Article of outerwear for a housekeeper?)
- CHEVY BLAZER (53A: Article of outerwear for a General Motors employee?)
This puzzle didn't give me too much difficulty...except for the lower left corner, which I'm pretty sure I spent at least five minutes on. ("Panache" is such a vague clue, and I've never seen "Top Gun", and what the heck is a CHEVY BLAZER? Is that a sports car or something?) The fill was OK; I wish LAB had been clued with something about dogs, though, and I swear I have seen SRA with that exact same clue every single time I have done a puzzle!! Also, I had SLOP instead of GLOP and PARES for PEELS, but "pares" is a better word anyways so it's whatevs. And I didn't realize that the "middle of Arizona" clue was supposed to be taken so literally! But again, whatevs.
Not a whole lot to say about the theme. It was cute and fun and that's about all you need for a Monday. And, again, what's a CHEVY BLAZER?
OK, I just looked it up and apparently they stopped making them in 2005. How was I supposed to know what they were?!?!
- RIBS (40A: Entree that may be slathered in BBQ sauce) — The one thing I've missed the most since going vegetarian. I had broccoli casserole for dinner last night. Siiiiigh...
- COOKS (19A: Too many of them spoil the broth) — Ohhhhh boy. Anyone remember this sketch? I wasn't going to post it, but come on, the clue... (Don't watch if you're squeamish!)
- DABS (48D: Painters' touches) — Heh, this word has a very different meaning for my generation. A dab is, like, a dance move where you bend down and make your arms go diagonally in front of your face. I'd look up a good definition on Urban Dictionary but I'm a little scared of Urban Dictionary.
- HOP (21A: Bunny's movement) — Reminds me of "dance's new creation"...
Well, that's all. I've got nothing left to say.
Except Happy Birthday to Rex's BFFs, Jennifer and my mom!!!
|can you tell they're identical|
Signed, Annabel Thompson, tired college student.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]