Blues chanteuse Washington / THU 12-10-15 / Disney friend of Flounder Sebastian / Poet who won 1967 Pulitzer for Live Die / Turkish pooh-bah / Pithecological study / Classic Mercedes roadsters / Storied assassin
Thursday, December 10, 2015
Constructor: Timothy Polin
Relative difficulty: Medium, maybe a tad harder
- SHOER / NETHER / EROTIC ARTIST / ERNIE BANKS
- CHATTER / DINER / ERNES / ERROL
- UTTER / AMBER / ERNST / ERASURE
- GLASS SLIPPER / RINGLEADER / ERIE, PA / ERECT
The Mercedes-Benz SL-Class (formerly known as the SL Roadster prior to 1994) is a grand touring roadster manufactured by Mercedes since 1954. The designation SL derives from the German Sportlich-Leicht, (English: Sport Lightweight) and was first applied to the 300 SL, often referred to as the "Gullwing" due to its gullwing or upward-opening doors. // The term SL refers to the marketing variations of the vehicle, including the numerous engine configurations spanning six design generations. (wikipedia)
• • •
I had a weird moment early on where I got very (mostly mock) angry at the answer PCLABS, which is one of my most hated answers For Some Reason, so I took a screenshot and called it "IHatePCLABS"
- 9D: Go on and on and on (CHATT[ER]) — I had PRATE here at first, which certainly fits the clue much better. I don't think of CHATTER as being related to how long one goes on. I think of it as idle talk. At any rate, that corner was Rough to get into. Wanted BRAT for PEST (12D: Trying type). Only got traction up there because I *eventually* got HYGIENIC, though staring at -IENIC, I wasn't sure any word I knew would work.
- 63A: Reputation (ODOR) — ????????? .... ?????????????????
- 65A: One-named R&B singer with the hit "1, 2 Step" (CIARA) — I predict this will be the Proper Noun Least Known in this grid. I have an album by her in my iTunes. I don't remember why.
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]