Highly emotional in dated lingo / SUN 8-9-15 / Chrome alternative / Port of Puerto Rico / Stage of Tour de France / Homage with humor / Coal-mining waste / Indian tourist mecca / D'Artagnan mentor / When doubled, Ramone
Sunday, August 9, 2015
Constructor: Melanie Miller
Relative difficulty: Easyish
THEME: "Help Wanted" — Familiar phrases (following the structure "[VERB] the [NOUN]") are re-imagined as goals of various "Help Wanted" ads, with the familiar phrases punning on the occupations mentioned in the theme clues (all of which are written as "Help Wanted ads, following the structure "Need [OCCUPATION] to ..." . Thus:
- 23A: Need rural real estate investor to ... (BUY THE FARM)
- 25A: Need retail marketer to ... (FILL THE GAP)
- 45A: Need cocktail waitress to ... (CALL THE SHOTS)
- 17D: Need stunt pilot to ... (FLIP THE BIRD)
- 41D: Need control tower operator to ... (CLEAR THE AIR)
- 56A: Need bakery assistant to ... (TAKE THE CAKE)
- 80A: Need cruise ship band to ... (ROCK THE BOAT)
- 89A: Need orchestra conductor to ... (FACE THE MUSIC)
- 114A: Need blackjack dealer to ... (HIT THE DECK)
- 116A: Need magician to ... (DO THE TRICK)
verbverb: blat; 3rd person present: blats; past tense: blatted; past participle: blatted; gerund or present participle: blatting
- 1.make a bleating sound.nounnoun: blat; plural noun: blats
- 1.a bleat or similar noise.
"the blat of Jack's horn"
• • •
[Adesina Koiki, working it out. If you come to Lollapuzzoola, you will look like this ... and LOVE it!]
This puzzle! Was a Sunday puzzle! That I did! On a Saturday in August! It is fine—kind of a throwback puzzle in the straightforwardness of the theme and the wordplay involved. The phrases didn't always work for me. FILL THE GAP refers to the specific retail establishment The Gap? That specificity is odd, especially compared to the other, much much more general answers. Also, cocktail waitresses take orders for shots. Nurses and basketball announcers are more people who CALL THE SHOTS. TAKE THE CAKE is way way too vague to be something a "bakery assistant" does. Take it where? And why would a dealer HIT THE DECK. What did the deck ever do to her? I did love (love!) the clue for ROCK THE BOAT. Image of the cruise ship band jamming away was spot-on and vivid.
Fill is probably on the wrong side of average, but not too far on that side. ABRA should be deleted from all word lists and all people's memories. It is simply not an acceptable answer, no matter how many times it keeps showing up. Most of the rest of the fill is inoffensive but often bland and overly familiar, or just mildly icky. ETAPE, you know? You know? Yeah. OK, it's almost 9am, so I'm gonna let you have at it. See you all tomorrow. I'm off to Yankee Stadium today to see Tanaka pitch against the ragtag, ad hoc, makeshift, and probably now very very good Toronto Blue Jays today. Should be fun.
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]