Friday, July 31, 2015
Constructors: James Mulhern and Ashton Anderson
Relative difficulty: Easy, I bet, but I was getting up and making martinis and drinking them so it took me an hour
(I do my puzzles on a clipboard, issued forth from a printer with chronically low toner)
Word of the Day: KATY (45A: "___ Bell" (Stephen Foster song)) —
Stephen Foster wrote many of the popular songs* in 19th-century America. I didn't know it when we named our cat, but Stephen Foster wrote the music for an 1863 song called "Katy Bell." You can listen to it, and if you're as interested as I was, even find the lyrics as well.
* - The most famous: Oh! Susanna; Camptown Races; Old Folks at Home [Swanee River]; My Old Kentucky Home; Jeanie With the Light Brown Hair; Beautiful Dreamer.
• • •It's like someone rubbed deodorant all over my printer paper because this puzzle is so fresh. AUTOTUNE, GET WEIRD, ONLINE AD and... CANKLES. Look, I know everyone says something like this in their lifetime but I coined the term "cankles." In college. 2005. It was me; I was the first. I am both proud and ashamed because it's really not a nice thing to say at all, but apparently the term has made its way into one of our most prestigious publications. See, there was this girl who was pretty mean and I didn't like her and she had calves that just wouldn't quit in the downward direction. It was before we started Googling everything we think to make sure it's an original thought so I was almost certainly the first person to portmanteau that shit.
Hi, by the way. I'm Lena: the girl who coined cankles. OH HEY LOOK OVER THERE
It's a Hawk! It's a Pelican! No, it's a CAGER. Womp womp. Sports terms, especially ones like that, are not readily within my KEN, as you can see here at the point where both my glass and mental wellspring went dry:
Moving right along, I'm pleased to say that I enjoyed this puzzle. Even the little things, like STAB for (5D: Whack). Not that we served KETEL ONE at the fancypants bar (it was that fancy) I worked at a few years ago, but I should have known that way sooner than I did. It would have prevented me from putting in SEASONAL instead of the correct IN SEASON... wow I am getting boring or what?
Bad fill that peppers you like... bullets!
- KEPI (35A: Gendarme's topper) — Nrrrgh
- TKTS (30A: Times Sq. bargain booth) — Nrrrrrrrrrgh
- OONA ( 27A: Donald Duck cartoon princess) -- Nrgh
BONUS: if there's a SNO BALL that has a strong chance in hell...