Israeli conductor Daniel / WED 6-3-15 / Granny player on "The Beverly Hillbillies" / Skull island beast for short / Dreads sporter / Deion onetime nickname in NFL /
Wednesday, June 3, 2015
Constructor: Herre Schouwerwou
Relative difficulty: Medium
- 17A: "NEED A LIFT?"
- 24A: "CLEAN YOUR ROOM!"
- 39A: F-SERIES
- 52A: "SO WHERE WERE WE …?"
- 63A: "IT'S FOR YOU"
Irene Ryan (October 17, 1902 – April 26, 1973) was an American actress, one of the few entertainers who found success in vaudeville, radio, film, television and Broadway.
• • •[Note: a version of this theme has been done before, with two of the same theme answers, back on Aug. 22, 2007, by Patrick Blindauer. Check out my (now-vintage) write-up.]
F-SERIES. Sometimes, inconsistency works. It's the shortest, it sits in the center with no symmetrical counterpart, and it's like "screw all y'all, i'ma do what I wanna do." I like its attitude. You be you, F-SERIES!
Fill is not great today, but it's up from yesterday, so I'm gonna keep comments to myself on that front, for once. I think of BEEFCAKE as a general category. I do not think of male models as individual cakes of beef (3D: Hunky guys). Speaking of oddly individual thing, we saw an individually (plastic-)wrapped pickle at a Sheetz yesterday. Speaking of SHEETZ, I wish it (they?) were less regional (I've only ever seen them in PA and MD). It would make a nifty crossword answer. (Sheetz is a gas station / food store chain, for those who aren't familiar.) … SO WHERE WERE WE? Ah yes, BEEFCAKES. Also, ENDALLS. That is not a plural I believe in.
- 59D: State made up of two state postal abbreviations (COMA) — I love this clue, but it felt Friday/Saturday tough. That "state" meaning switch, mid-clue, is hard / impossible to see.
- 13D: Manhole emanation (STEAM) — for reasons I'm not sure I can articulate, I'm finding the clue [Manhole emanation] … disturbing. Upsetting, even. I have to stop thinking about it now.
- 14A: Israeli conductor Daniel ___ (OREN) — Whoa. That's new to me. Terrible fill, but interesting trivia. I tried and tried to get BARENBOIM to fit.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]