Signature song for MC Hammer / MON 5-6-13 / Believers in essential worth of all religions / Something smashed by Abraham in Jewish tradition / Sicilian secret society / Enclosed body of water on tropical island / Film ogre voice by Mike Myers
Monday, May 6, 2013
Constructor: Joel Fagliano
Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium
THEME: Why? — Theme answers start with each of the five main vowels. I had to have this pointed out to me, as I did not see it / am half-drunk. Note: half-drunkenness did not prevent me from solving this in under 3 minutes. Now considering whiskey as part of my tournament training regimen.
- 20A: E.M. Forster novel ("A ROOM WITH A VIEW")
- 38A: "Count on me" ("I WON'T LET YOU DOWN!")
- 51A: Signature song for MC Hammer ("U CAN'T TOUCH THIS") — What!? Not "2 Legit 2 Quit"?!
- 3D: Grade meaning "Maybe you failed, but at least you tried" (E FOR EFFORT) — this is a fictional grade, right? Has anyone ever actually gotten this grade?
- 31D: Carol with the words "hear the angel voices" ("O HOLY NIGHT") — my favorite carol by a mile, but I'm not gonna play it. Too beautiful out to be playing carols. Instead ... please, Hammer, don't hurt 'em! (this is some epic 1991 s*it right here)
Word of the Day: BAHAIS (47D: Believers in the essential worth of all religions) —
a really terrible plural; see also PSSTS. [actually, it's probably the actual plural—I've just never seen it before and it looks horrible in the grid]
• • •
LAME (63A: Limping, say). I couldn't get it from the cross, which just wasn't making any sense to me. Looked at 56D: Hunter's garb, for short, had CA-O, and thought, "what would a hunter do with a CAPO? Play some guitar? Is that Spanish for 'cape'? A ... hunter's cape?" Did I mention the whiskey?
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld