Monday, April 1, 2013
We're back! And good news - we're here to stay! Rex is on an "extended hiatus" due to all the stress of doing puzzles, blogging about puzzles, writing puzzles, and competing at puzzles. So while he enjoys some R&R at the "spa" for who knows how long, we, Jenny and Liz aka Rex's BFFs, are your new Kings (ok Queens) of CrossWorld!
Constructor: Gary Whitehead
Relative difficulty: Impossible!
THEME: None — You'd think that on Easter Monday there would be some kind of theme but there must be some kind of a trick because we couldn't figure it out!
Word of the Day: None! Our first act as Queens of CrossWorld is to nix the word of the day. You may know that we've never been fans of this part of the blog.
• • •Typically theme answers would go here, but we sure couldn't find a theme on this April 1st puzzle. Is this some kind of a scam? We felt like dunderheads and nincompoops trying to piece this puzzle together.
- 16A. The "A" in Thomas A. Edison: ALVA. We don't know about you, but we can't hear the name Thomas Edison without automatically singing one of our favorite School House Rock Tunes!
- 46A. NJ city on the west side of the GW Bridge: FORT LEE — You'd have to be a boob to miss this one. Everyone knows that's where Rosanna Arquette's character lived in Desperately Seeking Susan (only one of the dopest movies in 1985!)
- 50A. Like the Cyrillic and Hebrew alphabets: NONROMAN — Really? On a Monday? Are we the only ones who felt like asses trying to figure this one out?
- 44D. Throat lozenge: TROCHE — We almost got duped by this one too! Ever hear of a Sucret??
In summary, this puzzle was no joke, but, this write-up is! April Fools! Rexy will be back tomorrow, and we will settle for being his BFFs and the laughing stocks of CrossWorld
Jenny and Liz
PS Hey it's me, Rex. I'll be back tomorrow, so the "extended hiatus" thing is "extended" only til tomorrow. In the mean time, here is a radio show I was on this morning w/ crossword legend Merl Reagle: "Life Elsewhere." Enjoy!