Alternative to Putinka briefly / THU 4-12-12 / Go farther sloganeer once / Actress Veronica who was model in last cigarette ad show on US TV / Judiciary checker / 1929 #1 hit Now he's gone we're through / He is more antique Roman than Dane / When doubled vitamin deficiency
Thursday, April 12, 2012
Constructor: Michael Shteyman
Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium
THEME: AMERICAN / RED CROSS (26D: With 21-Down, humanitarian organization) — other answers include CLARA BARTON (20A: Founder of 26-/21-Down, who died on April 12, 1912) and BLOOD DONORS (55A: Some 26-/21 Down volunteers), and there's a (non-) RED CROSS formed by the black squares in the middle of the grid
Word of the Day: XEROSIS (44D: Abnormal dryness, to a dermatologist) —
n., pl., -ses (-sēz).
- Abnormal dryness, especially of the skin, eyes, or mucous membranes.
- The normal hardening of aging tissue.
Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/xerosis#ixzz1rn12REbL
• • •
Happy death day, CLARA BARTON!
One of my readers is a bigwig at the RED CROSS, so I know at least one person who will like this.
RED CROSS. Actually, theme is probably CLARA BARTON, since it's her death day and all, but CLARA BARTON isn't in the middle of the grid, so too bad for her. I thought maybe LAB COAT (32A: White jacket, often) was supposed to be part of the theme, but it's symmetrical with LEXICAL (42A: Vocabulary-related), which surely isn't.
You can have all these back: BERI, ORNE, PASA, OREAD (ugh, I booted that one—went with DRYAD), ONE C (really!?), ABU.
- 46A: Judiciary checker: Abbr. (EXEC.) — I like this clue. It's interestingly awkward.
- 39D: 1929 #1 hit whose title follows the line "Now he's gone and we're through" ("AM I BLUE?") — rough for me. First, when I hear that song, a man is singing it. Second, I thought the song was a man's name, so I was like "AMI ... AMI who? Who the hell is named 'AMI'?"
- 4D: He is "more an antique Roman than a Dane," in literature (HORATIO) — Alas, the "Dane" part made this easy(ish).
- 52A: Capital of the country that's alphabetically first in the United Nations (KABUL) — I went through a brief "capital memorization" phase. I didn't get far. I *did* get to KABUL, since I was proceeding through the atlas alphabetically.
PS SYNDICATED SOLVERS (i.e. May 17, 2012 solvers)! These puzzles are Fantastic. All $$ to charity. Get 'em.