Silents star Nita / THU 3-22-12 / Laulau side dish / Wearer of crown since 1952 / Celebrity widowed in 1980 / O Henry winner Region of Ice 1967 Dead 1973 / 1930s migrant / Bramble book of Robert Bridges poems
Thursday, March 22, 2012
Constructor: Alan Arbesfeld
Relative difficulty: Medium
THEME: -EAKS / -AKES — STEAKS phrase flipped to STAKES phrase and vice versa. Ditto BREAKS/BRAKES
Word of the Day: BURL (54D: Small knot) —
- A knot, lump, or slub in yarn or cloth.
- A large rounded outgrowth on the trunk or branch of a tree.
- The wood cut from such an outgrowth, often used decoratively as a veneer.
Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/burl#ixzz1poAwJALo
• • •
I'm really surprised this theme passed muster. Can't you do this kind of thing with like a billion different words? These phrases aren't funny. I barely know what "chopped steak" is. Thursdays should be much more interesting and adventurous than this. Tough cluing kept this Thursday-tough, but this things's a real disappointment, theme-wise.
- 19A: Entrees for one of Dion's backup singers? (BELMONT STEAKS)
- 30A: Discounts at garages? (PARKING BREAKS)
- 36A: Severely reduced wagers? (CHOPPED STAKES)
- 52A: What mechanics may do as part of a tuneup? (SERVICE BRAKES)