Ruler deposed 1979 / TUE 5-10-11 / Trackers Prizms once / Hoops play maker / Entertainment at many Cuban wedding / Indoor outdoor war game
Tuesday, May 10, 2011
Constructor: Alan Arbesfeld
Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium
THEME: BALL to BALL — a word circle, where two-word theme answers begin with the word that the preceding theme answer ended with, creating a loop
Word of the Day: "L'IDÉE Fixe" (43A: Magritte's "___ Fixe") —
• • •
- 17A: Paper Mate product (BALL POINT) — I can't imagine hearing the product described as BALL POINT, unless someone died or choked in the middle of saying the actual product name: BALL POINT pen.
- 25A: Hoops play maker (POINT GUARD)
- 31A: Junkyard's security, maybe (GUARD DOG)
- 45A: Place for one in disfavor, so to speak (DOG HOUSE)
- 51A: Sherwin-Williams offering (HOUSE PAINT)
- 63A: Indoor or outdoor war game (PAINT BALL)
- 24A: Ruler deposed in 1979 (SHAH) — one of my first political memories was the taking of American hostages in Iran following the Islamic Revolution. Don't remember learning anything about the SHAH, but you couldn't get away from Ayatollah Khomeni's face in 1980. Also everywhere in 1980:
- 30A: Trackers and Prizms, once (GEOS) — Trackers and Prizms, still, I'm pretty sure. Just because GEO went out of business doesn't mean those cars don't exist any more (however much their owners wish that were true).
- 66A: Yoga position (LOTUS) — would've wanted ASANA if I hadn't had crosses already in place. Done yoga for years and have never once been asked to sit in LOTUS.
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]